HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson to Minnesota

Old
07-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Cody Franson to Minnesota

Even though the Suter-less Wild allowed less goals than 17 other teams last season, I still think our defense is a bit inexperienced and lacks depth. Our defense is all but set on the left side with Suter, Scandella and Stoner (and possibly Brodin if he makes the team out of camp) but I think we would benefit from upgrading the right side of our defense. I've always toyed with the idea of acquiring Franson even when he was with Nashville. I think he would fit right in on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

With Schenn gone, I'm guessing Toronto is now a little more inclined to keep him but just out of curiosity, what could Minnesota offer that would get the job done? From what I've read, it sounds like many Toronto fans don't hold him in that high of regard so I'm just going to assume that we wouldn't have to give up the farm to get him.

Would Prosser and a 2nd get the deal done?

Prosser isn't quite as good as Franson but he's still a solid extra d-man or bottom pairing player depending on how Toronto wants to do its lines. Like Franson, he's also right handed.

Just to get this out of the way now though in the case of counter-proposals, which I fully expect, we have no interest in trading away Backstrom at this time.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

vCash: 500
If this was offered when we had Schenn i would say yes but now there's room for Franson.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
If this was offered when we had Schenn i would say yes but now there's room for Franson.
I like Franson so i hope you are right, but it depends on Holzer/Oreilley's camp.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:20 PM
ewoksonhoth
Most People are DJ's

I don't think they take Prosser and a 2nd for him. Prosser's skill set limits him to bottom pair at best and a depth player to a decent team. As much as I wouldn't mind being rid of him, it doesn't happen here.

ewoksonhoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:24 PM
showtime8

In my mind, I would say that Franson is fighting for a spot out of camp. If I was Burke, I would ask to start something around Clutterbuck. I know its another forward for a log jam of 3rd liners on that team, but he does more for me than others.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Pass.

Leafs are looking to upgrade our lineup right now, this deal weakens our back end. We are also trying to get bigger and tougher, this deal makes us smaller.

It would be crazy to get rid of Franson, I say sign him already and let him play a full season. Only way I would trade him is if we get a solid return for him.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I would add more to get Backstrom.

I'd like Cody to stay..but if we're going to talk, may as well, talk
about something we need.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:49 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

I'd add for clutterbuck

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
I'd add for clutterbuck
Hates the Leafs though.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:55 PM
SupremeNachos

vCash: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Hates the Leafs though.
I have recently been converted by a close friend from Toronto. I know people on the inside.

SupremeNachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Clutterbuck and Brodziak are the only possibly available player the Leafs would have interest in. Burke isn't looking for picks at this point in time, he wants to upgrade the top nine with gritty and somewhat skilled players.

I doubt Chuck is willing to move one of these guys for Franson.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Even though the Suter-less Wild allowed less goals than 17 other teams last season, I still think our defense is a bit inexperienced and lacks depth. Our defense is all but set on the left side with Suter, Scandella and Stoner (and possibly Brodin if he makes the team out of camp) but I think we would benefit from upgrading the right side of our defense. I've always toyed with the idea of acquiring Franson even when he was with Nashville. I think he would fit right in on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

With Schenn gone, I'm guessing Toronto is now a little more inclined to keep him but just out of curiosity, what could Minnesota offer that would get the job done? From what I've read, it sounds like many Toronto fans don't hold him in that high of regard so I'm just going to assume that we wouldn't have to give up the farm to get him.

Would Prosser and a 2nd get the deal done?

Prosser isn't quite as good as Franson but he's still a solid extra d-man or bottom pairing player depending on how Toronto wants to do its lines. Like Franson, he's also right handed.

Just to get this out of the way now though in the case of counter-proposals, which I fully expect, we have no interest in trading away Backstrom at this time.
Read my mind

With Schenn gone now, we don't exactly have extra depth on the back end to trade a defenseman for the sake of trading a defenseman which this trade basically is since the main value in the proposal is a 2nd. I'm still open to trading away a defenseman, but at this point I think it only happens if the player is apart of a package for one of our bigger needs. Minny has some players that could fill our needs, but as you said, you have no interest in trading any of them at this time.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
BoHorvatFan

I honestly believe Franson will be sitting in the press box while one of the young d-men in the Leafs system takes his spot. He's a terrible player who needs to be sheltered like crazy. I believe he actually over achieved last year early on. Leafs should trade him for the best asset they can get. With guys like Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner... no need for a one dimensional sheltered pylon when you have that offence back there already.

Last year when Leafs fans were placing him in there top 4 at this time I was pointing out the obvious reasons why that wouldn't happen. He ended up sitting in the press box while Komisarek and Schenn ''played hockey''

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Clutterbuck and Brodziak are the only possibly available player the Leafs would have interest in. Burke isn't looking for picks at this point in time, he wants to upgrade the top nine with gritty and somewhat skilled players.

I doubt Chuck is willing to move one of these guys for Franson.
Brodziak isn't even available...

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
I honestly believe Franson will be sitting in the press box while one of the young d-men in the Leafs system takes his spot. He's a terrible player who needs to be sheltered like crazy. I believe he actually over achieved last year early on. Leafs should trade him for the best asset they can get. With guys like Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner... no need for a one dimensional sheltered pylon when you have that offence back there already.

Last year when Leafs fans were placing him in there top 4 at this time I was pointing out the obvious reasons why that wouldn't happen. He ended up sitting in the press box while Komisarek and Schenn ''played hockey''
But when other fans show interest Leafs players turn into gold instead of popcorn munchers.

With the talent even their healthy scratches have (in their opinion) I'm shocked they keep missing the playoffs.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

As others have already pointed out, the leafs aren't looking to move Franson after trading Schenn. They certainly aren't loolking to sell off assets for prospects and picks at this point either.

If Franson is moved it would be for one of 3 things. An upgrade in net, a gritty forward with size who can help on the PK or 1 for 1 swap for a defender of equal value, possibly someone a little more defensive minded.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:39 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
But when other fans show interest Leafs players turn into gold instead of popcorn munchers.

With the talent even their healthy scratches have (in their opinion) I'm shocked they keep missing the playoffs.
Yeah it's been a vicious circle that's gone on for years now.

Franson was a throw in to rid a salary, this young d-man with ''potential'' was 7th on the Preds in time on ice per game even though he was a regular, had terrible quality of competition stats, had to be sheltered like a child and was then given away. Nashville knows defence, this big young talented stud wouldn't be a throw in if he wash't a below average player without a bright future.

Goes to Toronto, one of the worst defensive teams in any sport, plays against awful competition and can't crack the line up when Komisarek and Schenn were playing terrible hockey. He has a shot, that's about it.

All the stats back up what I'm saying. He simply isn't very good yet some Leafs fans just love the guy, i feel bad for them. He's worse than Cam Barker.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Xamboni
BoVat Horseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I like Franson so i hope you are right, but it depends on Holzer/Oreilley's camp.
Wow...

Xamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:53 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Not a big fan of the Wild trading for Franson, but perhaps Stoner + or Falk + for him would be workable? That would replace the potential size loss for the Leafs.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Yeah it's been a vicious circle that's gone on for years now.

Franson was a throw in to rid a salary, this young d-man with ''potential'' was 7th on the Preds in time on ice per game even though he was a regular, had terrible quality of competition stats, had to be sheltered like a child and was then given away. Nashville knows defence, this big young talented stud wouldn't be a throw in if he wash't a below average player without a bright future.

Goes to Toronto, one of the worst defensive teams in any sport, plays against awful competition and can't crack the line up when Komisarek and Schenn were playing terrible hockey. He has a shot, that's about it.

All the stats back up what I'm saying. He simply isn't very good yet some Leafs fans just love the guy, i feel bad for them. He's worse than Cam Barker.
Wow. I wouldn't quite go that far. He's got a precision shot, and that's a useful attribute on the power play. That puts him well ahead of Barker, who (last I checked) had no useful attributes left.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:27 PM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

[QUOTE=Viqsi;53078141]Wow. I wouldn't quite go that far. He's got a precision shot, and that's a useful attribute on the power play. That puts him well ahead of Barker, who (last I checked) had no useful attributes left. /QUOTE]

He was god awful for the Oilers this year, you are spot on.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Not a big fan of the Wild trading for Franson, but perhaps Stoner + or Falk + for him would be workable? That would replace the potential size loss for the Leafs.
What's the + for both players?

Leafs are looking to upgrade their lineup, both these deals makes us worse right now.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Clutterbuck for Franson

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Alexander Baigle

Franson, Macarthur, Riemer, 2013 2nd for Backstrom, Clutterbuck

Alexander Baigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
Franson, Macarthur, Riemer, 2013 2nd for Backstrom, Clutterbuck
no from leafs .... funny how you guys gave up on Reimer so fast already.... just let him play, he will be our #1

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote