HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Does the system need to be tweaked ?

Old
07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
bootscraper

vCash: 500
Does the system need to be tweaked ?

Hi there boys, about a month or two ago I talked with Jim Cerny on Blueshirts United, and asked him about Tort's dump and chase system. Primarily, if he would change or tweak the system in the future. The answer I received was that Torts adapts to his players. So if we have more grinders then he will more of that type of system. He also said if there were more skilled guys then he would adapt and tweak the system. I wanted to know if you guys think the system should be tweaked so that there is more passing and less dump and chase, or in general try a bit more offensive approach. ( He did say that Torts would probably never ditch the defensive system all together. ) Enjoy!

bootscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootscraper View Post
Hi there boys, about a month or two ago I talked with Jim Cerny on Blueshirts United, and asked him about Tort's dump and chase system. Primarily, if he would change or tweak the system in the future. The answer I received was that Torts adapts to his players. So if we have more grinders then he will more of that type of system. He also said if there were more skilled guys then he would adapt and tweak the system. I wanted to know if you guys think the system should be tweaked so that there is more passing and less dump and chase, or in general try a bit more offensive approach. ( He did say that Torts would probably never ditch the defensive system all together. ) Enjoy!
I don't think you change the system from a neutral zone or defensive zone standpoint. From an offensive standpoint, players need to do what they do best. All lines need to be able to forecheck and cycle well, but if a line of Stepan, Nash, Kreider is out there I don't think they'll be asked to consistently play dump and chase.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:29 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

I think Torts will ease up on the shot-blocking system a bit. He now has the horses to run more of an offensive system. But, that doesn't mean shot-blocking defense first will disapear. He'll still preach it but I don't believe that has to be our gameplan anymore.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootscraper View Post
This is what all NHL coaches do. It sometimes amazes me the amount of fans that insist on putting a square peg in a round hole when it comes to the system of play. With Nash's addition, Torts should now have 2 powerful lines that can consistently contribute offense - I'd imagine he'll loosen the reigns a bit. I dont mind him playing it safe these last couple of years when the team just did not have the offensive firepower to play a run and gun type game against most opponents. Just like I didnt blame Renney for playing an ultra-conservative system his final year when he had the worst crop of forwards I'd ever seen in my 20+ years as a Ranger fan.

Coaches are going to play the hand their dealt.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck View Post
I think Torts will ease up on the shot-blocking system a bit. He now has the horses to run more of an offensive system. But, that doesn't mean shot-blocking defense first will disapear. He'll still preach it but I don't believe that has to be our gameplan anymore.
Im not so sure one thing has to do with the other. I think he'll give a bit more leeway in the neutral/offensive zones, but I dont think he'll let up on what become the calling card for this team over the past year, a commitment to team defense.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

If this team can just fix the PP they will be AWESOME. That will be at the top of the list. Puck control is the only way to keep the shot block count down. All the teams block shots now... own the puck, you wont have to block the shot

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
I hope the dump and chase in the offensive zone will end, but I mainly hope that blind passing up the boards in our defensive zone will end, forever. Take the puck and pass it forward or skate with it. You know how many times we lost the puck in our own zone, or fought on the boards for what seemed minutes due to sloppy blind passes up the boards. I hate it!

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
I hope the dump and chase in the offensive zone will end, but I mainly hope that blind passing up the boards in our defensive zone will end, forever. Take the puck and pass it forward or skate with it. You know how many times we lost the puck in our own zone, or fought on the boards for what seemed minutes due to sloppy blind passes up the boards. I hate it!
Not really a system thing. You're taught to never make blind passes, especially in the defensive zone. If it does happen, its usually a compliment to the opposition's forecheck.

Old
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
I believe that was part of the plan.

If you don't have a play to make, keep the puck along the wall and grind.

You can't get hurt if everyone has their backs to the middle of the ice.

When the team has had the puck and some time to make a play, they have done so consistently. When pressured, they do send the puck up the boards, or a hard around along the wall to the other side. where they can grind it and keep the puck away from the center of the ice in their zone.

I don't have much of an issue with that as every team employ's a similar tactic.

I'm not the biggest fan of the dump and chase because it forces you to give up possession of the puck, only to outwork the opponent to regain possession and then you have to try to score. That is a tiring task.

Puck possession should be the name of the game and I hope he tweaks his system to employ that aspect more often.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Transitional play needs a serious retooling, could tweak our D coverage that our Wings are playing a bit more high, instead of always looking for the block.

Offensive zone, I don't think Torts coaches it that much anyways. But the transitional stuff, where you can run set plays, should be seriously improved.

Its the one area though, that I think Torts has had a seriously hard time adjusting to post lockout.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

When the team has had the puck and some time to make a play, they have done so consistently. When pressured, they do send the puck up the boards, or a hard around along the wall to the other side. where they can grind it and keep the puck away from the center of the ice in their zone.

I don't have much of an issue with that as every team employ's a similar tactic.
I'd have to disagree with you there. This is the first season I had the full NHL package on cable so I could watch all games and I don't remember seeing any team doing this as much as the Rangers did.

Just off the top of my head since these games are the freshest in my mind, I barely ever saw the Kings do it in the playoffs. They would do a forward pass, or you guessed it, actually skate with the puck. It's almost as if the Rangers have no confidence in their own puck control.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote