HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

It would seem were 2 players away from making the playoffs

Old
07-28-2012, 07:36 PM
BDH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I was thinking of starting a thread we are about 10 players away from winning the Stanley Cup...
thats exactly what i was thinking
its one thing to make the playoffs, and a whole other to actually win...

BDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:37 PM
RogerRoeper*

There's too much parity to say the Leafs are two players from making the playoffs.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:43 PM
diceman934

We need some leadership,Goaltending, toughness and a big mean D-man, who can play.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDH View Post
thats exactly what i was thinking
its one thing to make the playoffs, and a whole other to actually win...
This team is too soft, too many question marks in goal and D to believe we are close to making the playoffs next year. But as I said earlier today, we could see a drastically different team next year, with additions from our prospects pool and or trades/signings. Not far away, but not with this group, even though JVR will help.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
People please stop slotting JVR as a #1 C in the NHL...we're smarter then that around here...aren't we?
thank you.

Leafsforlife98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Crabovski*

We're always 'one good player' from making the playoffs =\

DMEN, NAO

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:44 PM
I Believe

I think we're steady goaltending away from making the playoffs.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:39 PM
robdicks

I honestly believe we are two GOOD players away from being cup contenders. A legitimate number one center and a top 10 goalie would put us in the upper echelon of the East IMO. There is just that much parity. Not to mention this team was a playoff team after 60ish games last year, so it's not like we are looking at a bad team to start out with.

We are a goalie away from a playoff team. Just has to be a legitmate starter (top 20).

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:42 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Tell that to coach Randy Carlyle
eh. They said they would try him at center. That doesn't mean that it makes sense to slot him into the number one center spot. I don't think Carlyle was suggesting that he would be ideal for it, just that since we have noone else that can play that spot, it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Old
07-28-2012, 09:43 PM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Well as of right now, IMO we are a lottery team. Lu gets us into 7-10 spot....Another top 6 forward gets us 6-8 so yeah, 2 solid additions not just regular additions.

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:53 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
Well as of right now, IMO we are a lottery team. Lu gets us into 7-10 spot....Another top 6 forward gets us 6-8 so yeah, 2 solid additions not just regular additions.

Another top 6 forward? We have 6 top 6 forwards. A goaltender like Lu would get us into the top 8 in the east. We would look a lot like the Rangers two years ago. Probably get curb-stomped in the first round, but we would probably make it.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:35 PM
GhettoHockey

i have a feeling like we willl be the ottawa of last year

decent goal
good puck moving D's
soft but speedy offense in top 6
improved 2 way game from 3/4th pairings

GhettoHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Many people here say we will go into the year with the same lineup as last year, with losers like Connolly Lambo Steckle taking up valuable spaces. Burke has said repeatedly this lineup will be bigger and meaner before the season starts.

So why does everyone keep posting the same lineup as year just with players on different lines??

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
Another top 6 forward? We have 6 top 6 forwards. A goaltender like Lu would get us into the top 8 in the east. We would look a lot like the Rangers two years ago. Probably get curb-stomped in the first round, but we would probably make it.
Our top-6 forwards are Kessel, Lupul, van Riemsdyk, and Grabovski.

Kulemin, MacArthur, and Bozak are all 2nd/3rd line tweeners. Frattin and Kadri might be top-6 guys at some point next year, but I wouldn't count them until they prove it.

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Hawaiinleaf

KULEMAN was a top 6 2 seasons ago 100-% last year no.

This season will clarify that.

Adding Clowe would make us a full top 6

But small size on bottom 6 needs Orr and another addition via trade like a Bickle or Martin and then i think grit issue would be solved

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
KULEMAN was a top 6 2 seasons ago 100-% last year no.

This season will clarify that.

Adding Clowe would make us a full top 6

But small size on bottom 6 needs Orr and another addition via trade like a Bickle or Martin and then i think grit issue would be solved
Still wrong

K-U-L-E-M-I-N

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:53 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Steckel because of his face-off ability is the perfect 4th line centre and good pk'er. He stays. Just wish he would hit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Many people here say we will go into the year with the same lineup as last year, with losers like Connolly Lambo Steckle taking up valuable spaces. Burke has said repeatedly this lineup will be bigger and meaner before the season starts.

So why does everyone keep posting the same lineup as year just with players on different lines??

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:52 AM
rdawg1234

I think we're a #1 Goalie from being a playoff contender yes. But that's a big need, only Luongo is available that can actually fill that need for a decent price(if gillis ever drops to the proper price)

People underrate and overrate certain players on our team. Kulemin will surely do better than 7 goals next year as his next worst over 4-5 seasons was 15, clearly snake bitten last year. JVR will at least slightly improve his total with the 3-4 minutes of added playing time and decent/better linemates.

We have a fairly above average top 6 which i'm happy with(minus a #1 C) and a very mobile defense. We also were one of the best faceoff teams in the league last year(4th overall) and that will surely continue with the addition of Mcclement(who will most likely improve our pk slightly as well)

Our biggest hole was the GA, GF was 10th overall, but GA was 29th. If anyone else was watching although our d-men were sometimes out of place i lay that more on Wilson's system which is now replaced by an IMO better and more defensive system, that won't be as much of an issue.

WHAT IS the issue is goaltending, Gus would fight and fight and then let in two softies and we'd get deflated, Reimer would let in one 30 seconds into the game, just soft goal after soft goal that was mostly(not all) due to goaltending!

Please find a way to get Luongo, who has NEVER posted a save percentage below .913 outside of his rookie year. He also largely averages 2.10-2.50 GAA(Toronto's was 3.16 last year and has averaged at or over 3.00 GA for the past few years) Please tell me this guy wouldn't give us the 5-6 wins that mean the difference between playoffs and a top 10 pick.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:30 AM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks;53076245[B
]Another top 6 forward? We have 6 top 6 forwards[/B]. A goaltender like Lu would get us into the top 8 in the east. We would look a lot like the Rangers two years ago. Probably get curb-stomped in the first round, but we would probably make it.

lol seriously? lupul, grabo, kessel are top 6......please dont say mac and kuly based on 2 seasons ago. JVR hasnt proven to be a top 6 yet. A team with 6 top 6 forwards doesnt finish in the lottery.

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:17 AM
bostone737

wouldn't those 2 players be a #1 C and a G? I mean, I'm only a Bruins fan living in Toronto but....

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Frelimo

Yes, we are only two players away from being a playoff team; unfortunately those players are a legit #1C and a legit #1G (one of them likely needs to be an allstar). To win a round, we need another #1D. Easy Peasy! What's Burke waiting for?

Frelimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:55 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

This team just needs some stability in the lineup. The constant line and role juggling
makes it nearly impossible to get anything going.

Lupul, Kessel and Brown are the only forwards I can think of that stayed in the same lineup spot all season and Gunnar/Phaneuf the only dmen I can think of.

Carlyle is going to establish roles. Players will be given specific roles and given accountability in those roles (versus Wilson's constant line shifting). The glut of forwards we have just gives carlyle more people to test, once he narrows down the role suitors (If he hasn't already), players will be moved.

My point: everyone being given their own specific job and the time to perfect it will yield the best possible results for us. The teams without star power that we see succeed do so by working as a well oiled machine.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:16 AM
The Nic

Agree with the basic premise here... but one of those guys is a rock solid goaltender. We'd have been there last year if we had one of those.

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:22 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
This team just needs some stability in the lineup. The constant line and role juggling
makes it nearly impossible to get anything going.

Lupul, Kessel and Brown are the only forwards I can think of that stayed in the same lineup spot all season and Gunnar/Phaneuf the only dmen I can think of.

Carlyle is going to establish roles. Players will be given specific roles and given accountability in those roles (versus Wilson's constant line shifting). The glut of forwards we have just gives carlyle more people to test, once he narrows down the role suitors (If he hasn't already), players will be moved.

My point: everyone being given their own specific job and the time to perfect it will yield the best possible results for us. The teams without star power that we see succeed do so by working as a well oiled machine.
It's hard to argue with that. Stability sure will help. 1-2 years with relative stability will go a long ways to helping a young defence.

IMHO, we need to add a #1D,and a #1C and need better goaltending. What I'm not sure of, is if we can fullfill 1 or 2 of those spots from within.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Interactif

Save JVR, I can see any of the current top 6 fwds being replaced by other players if Burke can get them. This is where I see the team headed, Lupul will be a challenge to sign, Kessel may fetch valuable assets trading star player for star player. Grabo is here until we get better players that fit the Carlyle/Burke style. I see it as only a matter of time.

With the injection of Biggs, Rielly, Percy, Finn, Ross, Ashton coupled with perhaps the emergence of Kadri and Colborne this year. This team is a promising bunch if we can offset that with good solid vets in moves we may make this year.

13-14, is the year I am looking fwd to when we have a tonne of cap space to make moves. If we can add a piece here as we did with JVR, then that speeds up the process.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote