HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Dion Phaneuf's next contract?

View Poll Results: Phaneuf's next contract
3 years @ 6.5M 54 42.86%
5 years @ 4.5M 45 35.71%
3 years @ 4M 7 5.56%
There will be no contract as he will not return tot he Leafs. 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2012, 08:12 AM
  #226
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
So the team and coaching staff consider him a number one d, yet according to you he is not? I guess being voted for the Norris, being a part of some all star games, putting up alot of points and playing several minutes do not mean he is a number 1 d in the NHL? You often reach to slander Burke or the players, and try quite hard to elude that things with the Leafs and dire and poor. This is a perfect example of this again, and you're looking foolish doing so. Youre not a fan of Burke, Phaneuf or even the Leafs, but Phaneuf is a number one D no matter how hard you suggest otherwise.
On the Leafs he's expected to play that role, but he is not ideally a #1 defenseman. On a good team Dion is a #2 at best, and would be much better as a #3-4

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:16 AM
  #227
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
On the Leafs he's expected to play that role, but he is not ideally a #1 defenseman. On a good team Dion is a #2 at best, and would be much better as a #3-4
Thats your opinion, mine differs.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:16 AM
  #228
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,294
vCash: 500
Looking at the 13-14 season, and I do believe the Leafs will return Rielly back to the WHL this upcoming season even though he will probably impress at camp.

I envision a Rielly-Phaneuf 1st pairing maybe as soon as next year. With Rielly complimenting Dion's style, Dion is not at his best carrying the puck, Rielly can do this and feed him for his one timer. These 2 have the makings of a very strong pairing which styles will compliment each others. Rielly should be even more mature adding to his already 6'0 200lbs frame. This kid is not a small player, this pairing is something every Leafs fan should be excited about.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:19 AM
  #229
Dayjobdave
Registered User
 
Dayjobdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
The lack of regard on this board for how well Phaneuf plays is really is startling.

You wouldn't think so many people would buy what Bitter Billy Watters was selling.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:23 AM
  #230
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna
 
James Duthie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,351
vCash: 500
Wdf Phaneuf is good? He's yet to get my vote of confidence back, all I see him do is take slapshots that hit the net once in a while and make strong hits. He does not deserve 7 mil.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:23 AM
  #231
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave;53109037[B
]The lack of regard on this board for how well Phaneuf plays is really is startling. [/B]
You wouldn't think so many people would buy what Bitter Billy Watters was selling.
There are several posters that will complain about any and everything related to the Leafs no matter how well they do. That is a fact, and there are several examples of this in this very thread.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:26 AM
  #232
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 27,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The sooner Gunnarson becomes a 3rd pairing defenceman, the sooner this team will be better.

Saying Gunnarson is the 2nd best or a 1st pairing D man on our team last year is sort of like being the best at Old Navy when you want to be be Abercrombie and Fitch.
Agree with this. Gunnar is a nice player but not top line. Somehow his legend seems to have grown around here.

Phaneufs will look great with a partner closer to his abilities to play with similar to the other top defensemen in the League.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:28 AM
  #233
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,294
vCash: 500
One thing we know, Burke loves Dion. I think some of the anti Dion posters will see his value once our defence gets stronger, and he is not required to play the PP, PK, and a regular shift against the top lines of the league. Also he could use some more leadership assistance, Grabo and Komi are the Assistant A's, enuff said there. Not exactly Bergeron or Recchi types.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:33 AM
  #234
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Agree with this. Gunnar is a nice player but not top line. Somehow his legend seems to have grown around here.

Phaneufs will look great with a partner closer to his abilities to play with similar to the other top defensemen in the League.
Yes, this is why I am really excited about the 13-14 season, Morgan Rielly will make a case this year he should stick, but Leafs made that mistake already with Schenn. Give him a year, and we may have a Drew Doughty type impact D man next season. He and Dion's styles should mesh well. All Dion has to do give Morgan the puck and that is your break out. Dion should get a tonne of one timers from Morgan. You have to think Burke and Co. foresaw this when Rielly was drafted.

My blueprint always had a stud goalie and 2 stud D's as a must in contending for the cup, we probably have 2 stud D's. Hopefully Reimer can regain his form and be that stud G.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:36 AM
  #235
Dayjobdave
Registered User
 
Dayjobdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
There are several posters that will complain about any and everything related to the Leafs no matter how well they do. That is a fact, and there are several examples of this in this very thread.
So true. They are the internet embodiment of that guy in the pub who never says anything when the team does well but gets the big grin on their face when something goes wrong. The 'I'm smarter than all of you and taking glee in your sorrow' look.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:36 AM
  #236
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
The lack of regard on this board for how well Phaneuf plays is really is startling.

You wouldn't think so many people would buy what Bitter Billy Watters was selling.
Why is Watters talking about Phaneuf?

I don't care what Watters, or McGuire or Cherry or ... is saying if I get to watch myself. If you don't get to watch you might be influenced a great deal by these guys though.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:43 AM
  #237
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I think we both know THE World Championships is not a 3rd rate tournament. The Europeans hold this tourament higher than the canada cup at one point in time. My bone of contention is the poster tried to make it sound like Dion was playing against Spengler Cup competition when in indeed all of 4 teams in the NHL are still playing when this tournament wraps up. The talent level at this tournament is very high, that is the distinction here. Sure the Stanley Cup and 2nd the Olympics are the highest motivators, which I tried to convey to another poster here that intimated Nash's contribution didn't count because it was only the Olympics, silly. Whether it is the WHC, The Canada Cup, Olympics, or The Stanley Cup. All of these tourney's count in a player's resume IMO.
Of course the WC is 3rd. tier. No question about it.

Players don't even go to it, they make excuses not to go. Does that sound like they rank it with a Stanley Cup or Olympics.

Not even close, it is 3rd. tier.

If you want to put a positive slant on it you could say, it is 3rd. best.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:55 AM
  #238
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Of course the WC is 3rd. tier. No question about it.

Players don't even go to it, they make excuses not to go. Does that sound like they rank it with a Stanley Cup or Olympics.

Not even close, it is 3rd. tier.

If you want to put a positive slant on it you could say, it is 3rd. best.
MVP Malkin, Ovie, Datsyuk, Chara saw fit to fly over to play. Even the laconic Semin did.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:00 AM
  #239
Srsly
Registered User
 
Srsly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
I've always thought Phaneuf was a tad overpaid given his performance and wondered how he'd be interpreted if Burke hadn't made him the face of the franchise. I think his current cap hit was far too high for him given what we'd given up. However, with the recent cap changes most players seem to be making more and that lends itself to supporting 6.5 as a plausible figure... I have to ask you whether you want him at 6.5 or another higher end player? In actuality I'd value him somewhere between 5-6mil but given thats not an option 6.5 is probably the best choice. We're not signing Dion for 4mil.

Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:00 AM
  #240
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 27,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
MVP Malkin, Ovie, Datsyuk, Chara saw fit to fly over to play. Even the laconic Semin did.
Wasn't it said Ovechkin was on a plane hours after being eliminated?

I thought I heard Semin wasn't wanted? (Maybe that was last year.)

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:05 AM
  #241
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Wasn't it said Ovechkin was on a plane hours after being eliminated?

I thought I heard Semin wasn't wanted? (Maybe that was last year.)
I could have swore I saw Datsyuk playing with Semin against Chara in the Final.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:06 AM
  #242
Makaveli
Registered User
 
Makaveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: India
Posts: 2,173
vCash: 500
5.5-6 mil over 5 years

Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:07 AM
  #243
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
The lack of regard on this board for how well Phaneuf plays is really is startling.

You wouldn't think so many people would buy what Bitter Billy Watters was selling.
Too many people look to his dozen good hits a year and point totals as confirmation that he is indeed a good defenseman, with no regard for the most important aspect of playing the backend.

I couldn't care less what Watters thinks. In fact, I don't even know what he said. Phaneuf's role on this team needs to be reevaluated because he is over his head. Problem with that is we don't have anyone who is any more suitable.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:08 AM
  #244
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,494
vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
So the team and coaching staff consider him a number one d, yet according to you he is not? I guess being voted for the Norris, being a part of some all star games, putting up alot of points and playing several minutes do not mean he is a number 1 d in the NHL? You often reach to slander Burke or the players, and try quite hard to elude that things with the Leafs and dire and poor. This is a perfect example of this again, and you're looking foolish doing so. Youre not a fan of Burke, Phaneuf or even the Leafs, but Phaneuf is a number one D no matter how hard you suggest otherwise.
I said our coach considered him to be OUR num 1 just like 29 other teams coaches considered one of there D num 1 on there team . This doesn't mean they all are true num 1 D . Is this so hard for you to understand .

It's funny that posters like you go around and praise our GM and every player we have yet even with all this great talent that people like you say we have we still finished 26th .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:10 AM
  #245
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
One thing we know, Burke loves Dion. I think some of the anti Dion posters will see his value once our defence gets stronger, and he is not required to play the PP, PK, and a regular shift against the top lines of the league. Also he could use some more leadership assistance, Grabo and Komi are the Assistant A's, enuff said there. Not exactly Bergeron or Recchi types.
Agreed. I'm only anti-Dion to the point that I don't believe he's a #1. If we landed someone who can push him down to where he belongs, he would be much better, and in turn the team as well.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:10 AM
  #246
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 27,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I could have swore I saw Datsyuk playing with Semin against Chara in the Final.
Was probably the prior year.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:14 AM
  #247
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I said our coach considered him to be OUR num 1 just like 29 other teams coaches considered one of there D num 1 on there team . This doesn't mean they all are true num 1 D . Is this so hard for you to understand .

It's funny that posters like you go around and praise our GM and every player we have yet even with all this great talent that people like you say we have we still finished 26th .
Took a while for you to respond I see, and not suprising either. It's very clear, Phaneuf is the Leafs number one d, plays in all situations and leads the team in various categories and is a leader amongst other NHL D in points and TOI. He's a number one D, regardless of you how want to spin things. Phanuef was an excellent addition and an important part of this Leaf core moving forward.


Last edited by SnS: 07-30-2012 at 11:39 AM.
New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:15 AM
  #248
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Was probably the prior year.
Fair enough, even the Russians didn't want him...that's insulting.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:17 AM
  #249
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,494
vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Took a while for you to respond I see, and not suprising either. It's very clear, Phaneuf is the Leafs number one d, plays in all situations and leads the team in various categories and is a leader amongst other NHL D in points and TOI. He's a number one D, regardless of you how want to spin things. Phanuef was an excellent addition and an important part of this Leaf core moving forward.
And yet the team is no better since he's been here .


Last edited by SnS: 07-30-2012 at 11:39 AM.
hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:22 AM
  #250
BrawlFan
Registered User
 
BrawlFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Sens fan coming in peace. IMO Phaneuf will command no lower than 5.5 and judging by the way money is being thrown around he'll get it. Someone else will sign him to a long-term 5.5 deal so if I'm the leafs I'd give him 5 years at 5.5-6.0. Shorter term he prob gets 6.5-7.0 on the open market where a team like the Islanders/Columbus overpay.

Like ppl have said he is suited to play less, more impactful, minutes. He gets beat to the outside often and might be gased by the end of the game playing soo much. He still hits often and is good at that and has a hard shot but maybe Gardiner and Reilly can take some heat off of him when they develop. Then again when Kaberle and Phaneuf both played for the leafs its not like Phaneuf was amazing then either.

I'd say he's a top 4 dman and closer to a #2/3 to a #1. He'll get paid like a #2/3 and the leafs will have to end up paying 6.0 for a long term deal if I had to guess.

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.