HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf's next contract?

View Poll Results: Phaneuf's next contract
3 years @ 6.5M 54 42.86%
5 years @ 4.5M 45 35.71%
3 years @ 4M 7 5.56%
There will be no contract as he will not return tot he Leafs. 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 03:46 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
I don't need to post links about it. These things come up and are talked about.
But you said it was "well documented" that Phaneuf is a problem in the Leafs dressing room and his mates dont like him. So you are going to make accusations and now not back them up?? Why am I not the least bit suprised.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
T M L
Next Season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
But you said it was "well documented" that Phaneuf is a problem in the Leafs dressing room and his mates dont like him. So you are going to make accusations and now not back them up?? Why am I not the least bit suprised.
I don't have the links, but there have a been a few articles in Toronto papers talking about Phaneuf being a problem.

Took 2 seconds to google this

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community...algary-flames/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4329161/

Lots more too.

Last edited by T M L: 07-30-2012 at 04:11 PM.
T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Transplanted Caper

It's so nice that insiders and experts come along and post at HF with the rest of us plebs. They could be off making money hand over first at TSN, Sportsnet, or HNIC, yet here they are, selflessly posting anonymously on the internet instead.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Looks like a long regular season as usual too, by the looks of the team that Burke is going to ice October, 13th.

Same old excuses.
Hey maybe another team will sign Phaneuf for 4.5m when his contract is up, cause that's what he's really worth right?

Already giving up on the team? Maybe you should switch to another one in the mean time.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:55 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
I don't need to post links about it. These things come up and are talked about.
Indeed. Why post proof when we can gossip about it like women.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:58 PM
T M L
Next Season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
Indeed. Why post proof when we can gossip about it like women.
I posted a few for you.

See above post.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:58 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
I don't have the links, but there have a been a few articles in Toronto papers talking about Phaneuf being a problem.

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=88375

Lots more too.
You might want to read that G&M piece before using it to bolster your argument.

As for the Flames fan forum and torontogolfnuts.com ----

Old
07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
See above post.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=88375

Lots more too.

Not one single post about Phaneuf being a bad captain for the Leafs and his team mates disliking him. There is nothing wrong with disliking him as a player or captain, but you're making things up that have no truth whatsoever. As I proved earlier, you have nothing and are just making things up to push your agenda. Its posts like these that make it difficult to have an inteligent adult like conversation about the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:07 PM
T M L
Next Season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Not one single post about Phaneuf being a bad captain for the Leafs and his team mates disliking him. There is nothing wrong with disliking him as a player or captain, but you're making things up that have no truth whatsoever. As I proved earlier, you have nothing and are just making things up to push your agenda. Its posts like these that make it difficult to have an inteligent adult like conversation about the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Ok, so he was a problem in the Calgary room! I posted the link.

Now you try to cover it up? LOL!

Old
07-30-2012, 04:11 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:

You posted a fanboard dude....

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:13 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:

For argument's sake, let's say Phaneuf was a problem in the Calgary dressing room.

So what? How does it affect the situation with the Leafs?

Old
07-30-2012, 04:14 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:

So you go on post after post about Phaneuf being a problem in Toronto, and have lots to back it up, and come up with nothing looking very foolish. Now you bring up Calgary and point to that, becuase youre grasping at straws. There are two articles quoting Iginla and Jokinen on the previous page saying there were no problems with Dion. I've wasted too much time responding to your tolling posts and youre inabilty to back up your words. Full of crap as I said; and you proved me right in the process. Carry on...

Old
07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
For argument's sake, let's say Phaneuf was a problem in the Calgary dressing room.

So what? How does it affect the situation with the Leafs?
You have to look at the overall picture and what Burke is trying to do. A GM´s big trades and big signing send signals to the rest of the franchise and the rest of the league what you are striving for.

Burkes first big signing was Kessel. He gambled two first round picks from a team who did not have a #1 d-man, not a #1 center, not a #1 in net, not even a captain and by all accounts a team destined to be closer to the lottery pick then the playoffs and who needed a proper rebuild more then anything else. And Kessel, for all his skill and pace was deemed not of the right calibre for the truculent, testosterone filled group of hard working 2-way players Boston assembled for their Stanley cup hunt. But somehow Burke thought he would help elevating the Leafs even do all the way back from his pre-draft days he have been said to be lazy, selfish and not the best teammate. I am sure he have matured somewhat since then but he is not a player you acquire for a team in need of guidance and leadership. I remember Burke along with a lot of Leaf fans said we would make the playoffs that year he made the trade, I was not one of them for the reasons stated above about the then current group of player we had.

Then he make another big move and gets Phaneuf who similar to Kessel have a lot of offensive skills but an equal amount of flaws to his game. Phaneuf is big, strong, shots hard and hits even harder but that´s about that. He have a low hockey IQ that takes him out of position and he have a to big ego to listen and learn from older players. And even more of a problem, in Toronto there really is no older players for him to listen to so the dressing room is his. And players who have something else to say, Schenn, Aulie, are shipped out. And then there is the talk about him being bad for the dressing room in Calgary, is that really the type of player you bring in to change the culture at your own?

So in short, Burkes two big moves have gotten us 2 players who previously have had issues with team mates/management and these two players are said to take us forward but instead we have gone backwards and no big UFA have signed for us since then.

Burke (and the scouting department) should get some credit for restocking the prospect system but for a team who have been so poor that the Leafs have been in recent years one would expect a couple of elite talented youngsters and not just average players who every other team also have.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:52 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post

Carlyle also spent part of his postgame press conference defending Phaneuf, who has been heavily criticized as the Leafs have fallen down the standings and out of playoff contention.

Here was his response to a question on that theme:

"I don't really understand why that criticism comes," Carlyle said. "He's an energetic individual, he's a caring individual when he goes out... [he] plays his ass off for the hockey club. Stands up and challenges and plays the game the way we'd like all of our players to play. And yet there's criticism delivered his way because of the situation.

"That 'C' gets pretty heavy some nights. And when you don't have success, they look to your captains. But your leadership has to come from not just one individual. It has to come from a group.

"I don't know if [the criticism]affects him. My conversations with him were you've got to block everything that's going on outside. You're going to be judged by your on-ice performance. That's what you can control."

Don't mistake a Feschuk hack job because Burke said bad things about him as a fact.
Carlyle unlike Wilson has class and is not going to Flame his ( well not his but the teams) captain in public..it was very telling that he did talk about selfishness when responding to a direct question about Dion! There will be changes this year on how Dion treats the media as well as his team mates as Carlyle will not allow him to act like a turd....as well as I would be willing to bet that he dons a Leafs cap when giving interviews after a game as apposed to the Red Bull cap.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:54 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
You have to look at the overall picture and what Burke is trying to do. A GM´s big trades and big signing send signals to the rest of the franchise and the rest of the league what you are striving for.

Burkes first big signing was Kessel. He gambled two first round picks from a team who did not have a #1 d-man, not a #1 center, not a #1 in net, not even a captain and by all accounts a team destined to be closer to the lottery pick then the playoffs and who needed a proper rebuild more then anything else. And Kessel, for all his skill and pace was deemed not of the right calibre for the truculent, testosterone filled group of hard working 2-way players Boston assembled for their Stanley cup hunt. But somehow Burke thought he would help elevating the Leafs even do all the way back from his pre-draft days he have been said to be lazy, selfish and not the best teammate. I am sure he have matured somewhat since then but he is not a player you acquire for a team in need of guidance and leadership. I remember Burke along with a lot of Leaf fans said we would make the playoffs that year he made the trade, I was not one of them for the reasons stated above about the then current group of player we had.

Then he make another big move and gets Phaneuf who similar to Kessel have a lot of offensive skills but an equal amount of flaws to his game. Phaneuf is big, strong, shots hard and hits even harder but that´s about that. He have a low hockey IQ that takes him out of position and he have a to big ego to listen and learn from older players. And even more of a problem, in Toronto there really is no older players for him to listen to so the dressing room is his. And players who have something else to say, Schenn, Aulie, are shipped out. And then there is the talk about him being bad for the dressing room in Calgary, is that really the type of player you bring in to change the culture at your own?

So in short, Burkes two big moves have gotten us 2 players who previously have had issues with team mates/management and these two players are said to take us forward but instead we have gone backwards and no big UFA have signed for us since then.

Burke (and the scouting department) should get some credit for restocking the prospect system but for a team who have been so poor that the Leafs have been in recent years one would expect a couple of elite talented youngsters and not just average players who every other team also have.
They were also short a top line winger or two at the time of the trade. And the Leafs DO have Kessel to show for that 2nd overall. They Kadri for the 5th and Rielly for the other 5th. So we're missing a 9th overall pick. Really, that's it.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:25 PM
bunjay

Wow, who cares about all this speculation and rumour. What matters is the product on the ice. That product sucks. And there's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on here in order to defend Phaneuf.

He's so good because he plays so many minutes, he's our most important defenseman in all situations. The team results suck, but that has nothing to do with Phaneuf, and his super important minute-eating abilities. It's anyone's but his fault, no way he's part of the problem.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:27 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Wow, who cares about all this speculation and rumour. What matters is the product on the ice. That product sucks. And there's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on here in order to defend Phaneuf.

He's so good because he plays so many minutes, he's our most important defenseman in all situations. The team results suck, but that has nothing to do with Phaneuf, and his super important minute-eating abilities. It's anyone's but his fault, no way he's part of the problem.
Not sure where to even start.

TOI and quality of opponents does matter, despite your scorn.

I didn't see anyone say it's everyones fault but Phaneuf's...but it's always good to create a false argument in order to refute it.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:

It's a Team sport, sport. The team failed, no one player should be blamed entirely for this, they failed as a collective.

Personally I prefer Nietzsche:

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:38 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Not sure where to even start.

TOI and quality of opponents does matter, despite your scorn.

I didn't see anyone say it's everyones fault but Phaneuf's...but it's always good to create a false argument in order to refute it.

I don't think you really understood my post.

The people saying that Phaneuf is not at fault for how bad the leafs have been are the same ones saying that he's so important to the team, particularly because of all the minutes he plays in all situations.

It doesn't work both ways. The defenseman that plays the most minutes ES, shorthanded, and on the powerplay is OBVIOUSLY a big part of the team's collective failure.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:38 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Pretty much. Anyone who goes around blaming Phaneuf clearly doesn't know where the problem lies because pretty well every other defenceman on the team either played poorly for half the season or more.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:42 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Pretty much. Anyone who goes around blaming Phaneuf clearly doesn't know where the problem lies because pretty well every other defenceman on the team either played poorly for half the season or more.
Phaneuf fit right in, then, didn't he?

The team wasn't bad despite Phaneuf. He was bad right along with it.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:48 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Carlyle unlike Wilson has class and is not going to Flame his ( well not his but the teams) captain in public..it was very telling that he did talk about selfishness when responding to a direct question about Dion! There will be changes this year on how Dion treats the media as well as his team mates as Carlyle will not allow him to act like a turd....as well as I would be willing to bet that he dons a Leafs cap when giving interviews after a game as apposed to the Red Bull cap.
Really? To me it sounded like he was trying to tell Dion that he's trying too hard to be everything to everyone and he shouldn't have to. Trying to lead by example isn't a bad quality to have in a player if you ask me, but hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion. As for the cap, really? Really grasping here aren't you?

Old
07-30-2012, 05:49 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:

The people saying that Phaneuf is not at fault for how bad the leafs have been are the same ones saying that he's so important to the team, particularly because of all the minutes he plays in all situations.

It doesn't work both ways. The defenseman that plays the most minutes ES, shorthanded, and on the powerplay is OBVIOUSLY a big part of the team's collective failure.
Not necessarily. Was Stamkos terrible last year? Would you argue he is or is not important to Tampa?

It is possible to have a good year on a bad team.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:52 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:

I think the bolded is your first problem. No one is saying he's not at fault. I think he's a lot better than what his detractors think.