HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Dion Phaneuf's next contract?

View Poll Results: Phaneuf's next contract
3 years @ 6.5M 54 42.86%
5 years @ 4.5M 45 35.71%
3 years @ 4M 7 5.56%
There will be no contract as he will not return tot he Leafs. 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Phaneuf fit right in, then, didn't he?

The team wasn't bad despite Phaneuf. He was bad right along with it.
That's right, it was a team effort. There was plenty of blame to be passed around.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:57 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 500
Can we expect Flyers to come in for Phaneuf? It is not as if Holmgren is afraid to pay a premium price for a physical #1 d-man. After all he paid the price of two 1st round picks, Lupul and Sbisa for Pronger. Then when he got hurt tried to get Weber with an offer sheet that would have cost four 1st round picks. So according to a lot of posters here Dion, a #1 d-man who is tough and physical but stuck on a bottom team would be the perfect target for the Flyers. I mean, he did not push Schenn out the door and he is a top 10/15 defender in the league so what is the hold back?

And Detroit who is looking for a #1 d-man now that Lidstrom retired must surly come in for him to. Can we expect a bidding war? Who knows, maybe even Nashville join in. They where after all prepared to hand out big contracts to both Weber and Suter but seeing as Suter moved on they might to add Phaneuf?

Anyway, there must be loads of trade rumors about Dion right now...

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:58 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Not necessarily. Was Stamkos terrible last year? Would you argue he is or is not important to Tampa?

It is possible to have a good year on a bad team.
Of course it is, never would I say otherwise. Kessel did. Phaneuf did not.

A Stamkos comparison doesnt really make any point. Stamkos' job is to score goals, which he currently does better than anybody else in the league. Phaneuf's job is to prevent scoring chances, at which he did not do a particularly good job. Many games he singlehandedly created perfect scoring opportunities for the other team seemingly out of nothing...the nothingness that is between his ears.

It's one thing to get beaten here and there by the best players on the other team, that happens to every defenseman. It's a whole other thing to make such awful errors of judgement that you give away chances, especially when your goaltending is so porous. Phaneuf is more likely to pound the puck off the shinpads 5 feet in front of him for a shorthanded breakaway against than he is to actually hit the net on the powerplay, for example.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Duffman955

He is head and shoulders above Wideman, who makes 5.5

I would have to guess something like 5 years 6mil per

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:02 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Of course it is, never would I say otherwise. Kessel did. Phaneuf did not.

A Stamkos comparison doesnt really make any point. Stamkos' job is to score goals, which he currently does better than anybody else in the league. Phaneuf's job is to prevent scoring chances, at which he did not do a particularly good job. Many games he singlehandedly created perfect scoring opportunities for the other team seemingly out of nothing...the nothingness that is between his ears.

It's one thing to get beaten here and there by the best players on the other team, that happens to every defenseman. It's a whole other thing to make such awful errors of judgement that you give away chances, especially when your goaltending is so porous. Phaneuf is more likely to pound the puck off the shinpads 5 feet in front of him for a shorthanded breakaway against than he is to actually hit the net on the powerplay, for example.
So prove that he does it more than any other offensive defenseman. Not your opinion, proof.
Phaneuf had a very good season doing what he is supposed to do.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:02 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
I think the bolded is your first problem. No one is saying he's not at fault. I think he's a lot better than what his detractors think.
Lots of people are saying just that, and it was a constant theme on here throughout last season as well.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:04 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Can we expect Flyers to come in for Phaneuf? It is not as if Holmgren is afraid to pay a premium price for a physical #1 d-man. After all he paid the price of two 1st round picks, Lupul and Sbisa for Pronger. Then when he got hurt tried to get Weber with an offer sheet that would have cost four 1st round picks. So according to a lot of posters here Dion, a #1 d-man who is tough and physical but stuck on a bottom team would be the perfect target for the Flyers. I mean, he did not push Schenn out the door and he is a top 10/15 defender in the league so what is the hold back?

And Detroit who is looking for a #1 d-man now that Lidstrom retired must surly come in for him to. Can we expect a bidding war? Who knows, maybe even Nashville join in. They where after all prepared to hand out big contracts to both Weber and Suter but seeing as Suter moved on they might to add Phaneuf?

I wasn't aware he was on the block?

Old
07-30-2012, 06:04 PM
leftwinghockey

Quote:
As for the cap, really? Really grasping here aren't you?
I think the hat is genuinely something that should be looked into. He is the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Put on a Leafs hat.

leftwinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:05 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:

OK I'll take a guess at what you're trying to say. If Phaneuf was as super great as the posters here think, there would be a big trade market for him. However, because there appears not to be a big trade market, he's really super crappy. Yes? Close?

Old
07-30-2012, 06:05 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Lots of people are saying just that, and it was a constant theme on here throughout last season as well.
He's a whole lot less at fault than most on this team.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:06 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghockey View Post
I think the hat is genuinely something that should be looked into. He is the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Put on a Leafs hat.
Many players don't. See Sid and his 87 hats

Old
07-30-2012, 06:07 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

deleted - not worth it

Old
07-30-2012, 06:07 PM
bunjay

Quote:
So prove that he does it more than any other offensive defenseman. Not your opinion, proof.
Phaneuf had a very good season doing what he is supposed to do.
Proof? What would you have me do, go back in time and record every leafs game, and then spend a month editing a low-light reel? Then do the same for every other team in the league?

Or do you actually think you somehow win an argument like this?

Old
07-30-2012, 06:11 PM
bunjay

Quote:
The only people he's actually less at fault than are the goalies. After them, your #1 defenseman has the biggest individual impact on the game. Especially if he gets the lions share of PP and SH time.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:11 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Proof? What would you have me do, go back in time and record every leafs game, and then spend a month editing a low-light reel?

Or do you actually think you somehow win an argument like this?
Every terrible thing the Leafs do ends up on YouTube. There's gotta be something to help your case.

Otherwise, it's just your opinion that he gets beat more often than others.

And no, I generally win arguments by pretending my opinion means more than theirs. Is that the right way to do it?

Old
07-30-2012, 06:13 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Many players don't. See Sid and his 87 hats
Seriously...the stupid fn hats? A ton of players wear hats other than their team. It never ends.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:13 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
The only people he's actually less at fault than are the goalies. After them, your #1 defenseman has the biggest individual impact on the game. Especially if he gets the lions share of PP and SH time.
And the first two you just mentioned share most of the blame.
Regardless, he can't play the whole game by himself.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:15 PM
diceman934

Quote:

He is the dam captain.....he is good at pointing fingers but not accepting blame.He is more to blame as he is the captain and as such needs to lead by example, sadly he is a poor example.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:16 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Pretty much. Anyone who goes around blaming Phaneuf clearly doesn't know where the problem lies because pretty well every other defenceman on the team either played poorly for half the season or more.
Unbelievable.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:16 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
He is the dam captain.....he is good at pointing fingers but not accepting blame.He is more to blame as he is the captain and as such needs to lead by example, sadly he is a poor example.
I've never heard him blame an individual player in a post-game scrum.

I forgot, you have your inside sources and you know what goes on in the dressing room.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:17 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
OK I'll take a guess at what you're trying to say. If Phaneuf was as super great as the posters here think, there would be a big trade market for him. However, because there appears not to be a big trade market, he's really super crappy. Yes? Close?
Yes, correct.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:17 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Every terrible thing the Leafs do ends up on YouTube. There's gotta be something to help your case.
Really?

Quote:
Otherwise, it's just your opinion that he gets beat more often than others.
Oh? There's some sort of burden of proof on people who disagree with you? Why is that? It's just your opinion that he doesnt get beaten more often than others. Don't you have to prove that with numbers and, apparently, youtube videos?

If you really want an example of exactly the pathetic kind of effort that you can't have from the captain of your team, look up the 4-0 goal he gave to Montreal last year. A microcosm of his overall lack of intelligence on the ice.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:18 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Yes, correct.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:18 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Got quotes to support him pointing fingers?

And no, he couldn't have done much more to lead, in fact RC wants him to stop trying to do so much.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:19 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Really?

Oh? There's some sort of burden of proof on people who disagree with you? Why is that? It's just your opinion that he doesnt get beaten more often than others. Don't you have to prove that with numbers and, apparently, youtube videos?

If you really want an example of exactly the pathetic kind of effort that you can't have from the captain of your team, look up the 4-0 goal he gave to Montreal last year. A microcosm of his overall lack of intelligence on the ice.
I have stats to back up my opinion of Phaneuf. I'm looking for something similar from you. Still waiting.