HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf's next contract?

View Poll Results: Phaneuf's next contract
3 years @ 6.5M 54 42.86%
5 years @ 4.5M 45 35.71%
3 years @ 4M 7 5.56%
There will be no contract as he will not return tot he Leafs. 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 07:20 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Really?

Oh? There's some sort of burden of proof on people who disagree with you? Why is that? It's just your opinion that he doesnt get beaten more often than others. Don't you have to prove that with numbers and, apparently, youtube videos?

If you really want an example of exactly the pathetic kind of effort that you can't have from the captain of your team, look up the 4-0 goal he gave to Montreal last year. A microcosm of his overall lack of intelligence on the ice.
Go look up Dave Bolland making Ryan Suter look like a fool. You know, the $98 million man.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:21 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Yes, correct.
Quite the premise then. Maybe we should grab Karlsson while his value is at an all time low. Haven't heard a single trade rumour about him.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Many players don't. See Sid and his 87 hats
That is simply not true.....he wears his team hat in post game interviews.....Dion does not! Google post game interviews and you will see.

I could post so many .....

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:24 PM
bunjay

Quote:
And the first two you just mentioned share most of the blame.
Regardless, he can't play the whole game by himself.
I'm really not trying to suggest that there isn't plenty of blame to go around. Even Kessel and Lupul should be taking heat for their total lack of effort in their own zone, despite their great offensive numbers.

What I'm saying is that Phaneuf has his share of the blame, which many here would prefer to deny. You dont even need to look further than the last page of this thread for several examples of that.

They love pointing out all the responsibility he was given as undeniable proof of how good he is, while ignoring what he was actually responsible for.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:26 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
That is simply not true.....he wears his team hat in post game interviews.....Dion does not! Google post game interviews and you will see.

I could post so many .....
Awesome, this you have legit links to. Your claims of Phaneuf being a bad teammate sends us to Flames fan forums and some unknown Toronto golf link.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:29 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
I'm really not trying to suggest that there isn't plenty of blame to go around. Even Kessel and Lupul should be taking heat for their total lack of effort in their own zone, despite their great offensive numbers.

What I'm saying is that Phaneuf has his share of the blame, which many here would prefer to deny. You dont even need to look further than the last page of this thread for several examples of that.

They love pointing out all the responsibility he was given as undeniable proof of how good he is, while ignoring what he was actually responsible for.
Absolutely not. Nobody has ever denied he is to blame. The question is how much.

The entire team shares the blame, some more than others. Dion is a much bigger piece of what is right than what is wrong.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:30 PM
T M L

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
He is the dam captain.....he is good at pointing fingers but not accepting blame.He is more to blame as he is the captain and as such needs to lead by example, sadly he is a poor example.
Yes, the captain should lead by example but that is not always the case.

I am not saying that Dion is a bad D man but I don't feel he should be the captain.

Pronger is the captain of the Flyers and his salary is 4.9M/year. He is much better than Phaneuf and a better leader. Dions next contract should be less than Prongers.

T M L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:33 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Sorry, don't know how to embed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKp2T...e_gdata_player

Old
07-30-2012, 07:34 PM
bunjay

Quote:
I have stats to back up my opinion of Phaneuf. I'm looking for something similar from you. Still waiting.
Yes, you're not the only person in the world aware of behindthenet.ca. But why do you post only the numbers you like?

According to your source, which I think is a really good one but sometimes the numbers dont seem to add up:

Team +/- with Phaneuf on the ice (per 60 minutes at even strength): -0.59

Team +/- with Phaneuf off the ice: -0.38

Whew, that's statistically significant.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:34 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
You're right, it was the other guy. My bad.

That was kind of a classless reply though. I know how important it is to you.
How was it classless of me to point out that I was not the individual who posted the links that you said I did? I said try to keep up. If that offended you I'm sorry.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:35 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Yes, the captain should lead by example but that is not always the case.

I am not saying that Dion is a bad D man but I don't feel he should be the captain.

Pronger is the captain of the Flyers and his salary is 4.9M/year. He is much better than Phaneuf and a better leader. Dions next contract should be less than Prongers.
Pronger sure is leading the Flyers by example.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Yes, you're not the only person in the world aware of behindthenet.ca. But why do you post only the numbers you like?

According to your source, which I think is a really good one but sometimes the numbers dont seem to ass up:

Team +/- with Phaneuf on the ice (per 60 minutes at even strength): -0.59

Team +/- with Phaneuf off the ice: -0.38

Whew, that's statistically significant.
Thank you for some quantitative to add to your discussion.

Ps I can't take credit for any source as I've never even been to that site. I only post the numbers that help my argument because that is my job. If you have numbers to support your argument, why don't you use them? Why should I Post them for you?

Old
07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Absolutely not. Nobody has ever denied he is to blame. The question is how much.

The entire team shares the blame, some more than others. Dion is a much bigger piece of what is right than what is wrong.
Umm...I guess you haven't been following this thread, then. Not sure what I'm supposed to say if you're just going to pretend that everybody is being realistic about Dion's contribution to the team.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Umm...I guess you haven't been following this thread, then. Not sure what I'm supposed to say if you're just going to pretend that everybody is being realistic about Dion's contribution to the team.
Where has anyone said he has no blame in it?

Old
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Thank you for some quantitative to add to your discussion.

Ps I can't take credit for any source as I've never even been to that site. I only post the numbers that help my argument because that is my job. If you have numbers to support your argument, why don't you use them? Why should I Post them for you?
I assumed you were getting your corsi numbers from behindthenet.ca, and if that were the case the same tables would have shown less flattering numbers that you surely would have seen but left out. Not sure where you're getting the numbers from, then.

But let's also not pretend that corsi is a rock solid system. It count shots for and against the same way +/- counts goals for and against. There is no statistical proof of a defenseman's ability, because nobody tracks things like "number of times individual player completely ****ed up" or "number of terrible shots from the outside or near centre ice that are meaningless" or "number of goals that were 100% the goalie's fault" or "number of fluke goals that were nobody's fault at all" or any number of really important factors.

I don't want to get into statistical arguments unless its something that's really obvious because there's no point, know what I mean? If I'm not so hot on Phaneuf it's not because I scrounged up some advanced statistics that i think prove I'm right. The stat I just posted should be pretty alarming, but if you like Phaneuf and think he's great there are any number of ways to dismiss it. "+/- is a garbage stat" or "but he plays the toughest minutes" would come up, and then it's back to everybody assuming they're right.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:53 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Since when does a players cap hit identify his salary.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:57 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Where has anyone said he has no blame in it?
I'm really not going to bother scanning through even just this thread. People are not so much coming right out and saying "Phaneuf takes no blame!" as much as they're jumping to deflect blame away from him when the issue comes up. It's essentially the same thing. "He's a great defenseman with no support!" has been said a dozen different ways in this thread, one person even defended his captaincy by criticizing the quality of the assistant captains for ****'s sake

Old
07-30-2012, 08:09 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Sorry, don't know how to embed

Fix it for you.

This is not the norm.....and it should be as is my point....he wears the Red Bull sponsor hat.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:12 PM
T M L

Quote:
Pronger sure is leading the Flyers by example.
Pronger > Phaneuf all day!

I'm not hating on Dion, but come on!

T M L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
mapleleaf979

Dion is a TERRIBLE captain. That Calgary Flames deal is not looking so one sided afterall in my opinion, we take on Dion's HORRID contract. He is 4 million dollar player at most not his 6.5. Thats Norris trophy money. IF today he brought what he did in calgary the first 3 years than ya 6.5 is fair. He was a stud not anymore. Looks like he got the money and became alot less hungry. He doesnt hit like he did in the first 3-4 years in the league. Nor does he score anymore (20,17,17 goals first 3 seasons)I hope everyone has updated what this player is now not what he was. Dion is not tough and not a good fighter. He talks a big game. Dion takes alot of shifts off each night. Very frustrating player to watch and with the C on his chest , it doesnt bode well for setting a positive example.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:46 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Dion is a TERRIBLE captain. That Calgary Flames deal is not looking so one sided afterall in my opinion, we take on Dion's HORRID contract. He is 4 million dollar player at most not his 6.5.
No, the trade is still one-sided. They say opinions can't be wrong, but yours is.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Interactif

Quote:
I'm really not going to bother scanning through even just this thread. People are not so much coming right out and saying "Phaneuf takes no blame!" as much as they're jumping to deflect blame away from him when the issue comes up. It's essentially the same thing. "He's a great defenseman with no support!" has been said a dozen different ways in this thread, one person even defended his captaincy by criticizing the quality of the assistant captains for ****'s sake
Who said this?

Interactif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Dion is a TERRIBLE captain. That Calgary Flames deal is not looking so one sided afterall in my opinion, we take on Dion's HORRID contract. He is 4 million dollar player at most not his 6.5. Thats Norris trophy money.
And the winner of the most ill informed post of the thread goes to...

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
No, the trade is still one-sided. They say opinions can't be wrong, but yours is.
I don't think anyone with a sane mind would say Calgary won that trade. Obviously there are some ulterior motives lurking in this thread.

Interactif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
bleedingblue1

Would not pay him more then 4 mill. I think Dion robbed the Leafs for couple of years. Although alot of players are robbing thier teams right now as we speak.

Last edited by bleedingblue1: 07-30-2012 at 09:17 PM.
bleedingblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote