HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf's next contract?

View Poll Results: Phaneuf's next contract
3 years @ 6.5M 54 42.86%
5 years @ 4.5M 45 35.71%
3 years @ 4M 7 5.56%
There will be no contract as he will not return tot he Leafs. 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Pronger > Phaneuf all day!

I'm not hating on Dion, but come on!
Pronger is virtually retired and may never play a NHL game again, I'm not sure what to make of this ill logic.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:13 PM
bleedingblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I don't think anyone with a sane mind would say Calgary won that trade. Obviously there are some ulterior motives lurking in this thread.
Anyone that pickups the 6.5 mill horrible contract I say they got robbed.

bleedingblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:18 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingblue1 View Post
Anyone that pickups the 6.5 mill horrible contract I say they got rubbed.
You're right.

Picking up Stajan for 3.5 m/year and Hagman at 3.0 m/year on the other hand was a pure stroke of genius.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:19 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
No, the trade is still one-sided. They say opinions can't be wrong, but yours is.
They say arrogance is a liabilty.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
bleedingblue1

If anyone thinks that Dion deserved his 6.5 mill contract last couple years then there is something wrong with them. Blind support got you what? 5th from the bottom in the last 7 years?

bleedingblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
mapleleaf979

^^ Agreed/

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
Anyone who thinks Phaneuf is still overpaid doesn't grasp the market value of NHL defensemen in 2012. Ryan Whitney makes $5.5 Million, James Wisniewski makes $7 Million. Atleast do an iota of research before spouting nonsense.

Phaneuf makes what a defenseman 12th in points and tied for 6th in goals should be making. I await your hyperboles.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:06 PM
T M L
Sense of Entitlement

Quote:
Pronger is virtually retired and may never play a NHL game again, I'm not sure what to make of this ill logic.
The logic is that Pronger is a better captain and player than Phaneuf is, and his salary is 4.9M/year. Phaneuf should not make more than him being a not so great captain and teammate.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:09 PM
T M L
Sense of Entitlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Anyone who thinks Phaneuf is still overpaid doesn't grasp the market value of NHL defensemen in 2012. Ryan Whitney makes $5.5 Million, James Wisniewski makes $7 Million. Atleast do an iota of research before spouting nonsense.

Phaneuf makes what a defenseman 12th in points and tied for 6th in goals should be making. I await your hyperboles.
Why compare the worst contracts in the NHL for leverage for Phaneuf? Compare him to the good contracts and base his salary off of that.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
The logic is that Pronger is a better captain and player than Phaneuf is, and his salary is 4.9M/year. Phaneuf should not make more than him being a not so great captain and teammate.
On June 27, 2009, Pronger, along with forward Ryan Dingle, was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Lupul (earlier traded to Edmonton for Pronger in 2006), the rights to defenceman Luca Sbisa, two first round draft picks and a conditional third round draft pick. Ten days later, Pronger signed a seven-year contract extension that will most likely see him finish his career in Philadelphia.[19] Nearly a month after signing, the NHL announced they had launched an investigation on Pronger's deal to determine whether it was a circumvention of the salary cap under the collective bargaining agreement. Because the contract is front-loaded, with annual salaries of just $525,000 in the final two years, and expires by the time Pronger is 42, the investigation was launched with the focus on the potential of negotiations between Pronger and the Flyers to retire before contract expiration.[20] However, as Pronger's contract took effect after his 35th birthday, under the terms of the current collective bargaining agreement, his over-35 contract cannot be deleted from the Flyers' cap space unless he is placed on long-term injured reserve, and even then it would come back on the team's cap space during the offseason.

7 years, 34 million wasn't it? Divide those 34 million by 2 and you get Pronger's actual cost, plus two firsts and a third....

And Pronger essentially chased Mike Richards and Jeff Carter out of Philly...you can see for yourself how that worked out.

;-)

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:24 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Pronger makes well over $7 000 000/season, and he literally pushed cup winners Richards and Carter out of Philly. And he's a great captain.

Messier was a ***** to his teammates and is the greated captain of all time.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Why compare the worst contracts in the NHL for leverage for Phaneuf? Compare him to the good contracts and base his salary off of that.
That makes no sense. Don't compare him to ugly contracts, compare him to ones that look good? How about you look at the average for comparable defencemen to Dion.

I think a comparable for his next contract would be Mike Green. Guy who has all the potential in the world, but has been pretty lacklustre and yet still got over 18M for 3 years...

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Except in Vancouver.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:45 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Except in Vancouver.
Something bad happens to people when they get the C in Vancouver.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:45 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Pronger makes well over $7 000 000/season, and he literally pushed cup winners Richards and Carter out of Philly. And he's a great captain.

Messier 6 Stanley cup rings say hello!

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:47 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Messier 6 Stanley cup rings say hello!
6 rings doesn't excuse a player from being an ass.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:54 PM
diceman934

Quote:
6 rings doesn't excuse a player from being an ass.
tossing Messier name into a discussion about Dion is criminal......you can talk the talk when you can walk the walk.....

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:03 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
tossing Messier name into a discussion about Dion is criminal......you can talk the talk when you can walk the walk.....
Criminal?

Lol, OK skippy.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:06 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
One thing we know, Burke loves Dion. I think some of the anti Dion posters will see his value once our defence gets stronger, and he is not required to play the PP, PK, and a regular shift against the top lines of the league. Also he could use some more leadership assistance, Grabo and Komi are the Assistant A's, enuff said there. Not exactly Bergeron or Recchi types.
This is the post I was responding to with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
In other words when he will be used as a #4/5 defenceman.
And you come back with this???

Quote:
Who are we trading for, Orr and Park?
You should know. You're the one who posted the initial post above.

and/or

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:13 PM
ALine

Quote:
ever hear of Jeff Carter or Mike Richards? Pronger had a hand in chasing them out of town, siding with management, instead of supporting his teammates when they didn't participate in the 'dry island'. This is your model captain, one who chases other players out of town?

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:18 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Reading his posts its clear the poster was talking about the poor play of Phaneuf and how the entire fortunes of the team are in direct relation to Phaneuf. I'm quite sure no one was harsh, its difficult to be hard on someone who doesnt understand or watch hockey. "WTF" momenst speaks volumes of a posters age and maturity level.

You're right. It's not the most elegant way to describe those moments.

But let's be honest. Who amongst us never thought "WTF" (or "did I just see what I think I saw") with Dion?...

His switch is in the off position too many times.

Has a good amount of physical attributes, but...

Old
07-30-2012, 11:23 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
I find too many people dismissive of plus _ minus stats. I value them as many do, however one must use context when citing them, Bruins gave up a lot of goals under Lewis much like the Leafs under gun happy Wilson. That's the context and why The Chara example is a viable one, people blaming solely Dion for our defensive problems are not looking at the entire landscape here.
If you were watching the Bruins that year, you will remember that Chara was trying way too hard to justify that big contract and that led to some awful plays on his part.

Just like Komisarek did in his first year with the Leafs, but Chara got better...

Old
07-30-2012, 11:26 PM
ALine

Quote:
Quote:
One thing we know, Burke loves Dion. I think some of the anti Dion posters will see his value once our defence gets stronger, and he is not required to play the PP, PK, and a regular shift against the top lines of the league. Also he could use some more leadership assistance, Grabo and Komi are the Assistant A's, enuff said there. Not exactly Bergeron or Recchi types.
I thought it was pretty clear what he was trying to say, beauchamp. Not that Dion should slide down and get 3 defesnemen that are better (where are we going to find a weber, suter and chara), but getting better depth guys. The second best defesemen on this roster was Gunnarsson. Gunnarsson is very overrated around here. Yes he's solid, but better suited as a 3-rd pairing, minute eating defesememen, while the big boys shut down a game. After that it was a 21 y/o rookie, who wasn't used as much against top lines. Franson, Schenn, Komisarek, and liles(post-concussion) were all ineffective.

How far do you think this years kings would have got with Doughty, surrounded by Franson, Schenn, Komi and liles and Gunnarsson? Certainly no cup team, not even a playoff team, likely.
How far do you think the leafs could go with Phaneuf, but surrounded by Greene, Mitchell, Voynov, Martinez and Scuderi? Definately a playoff team at least.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:39 PM
GreekLeafer

Quote:
Yes, the captain should lead by example but that is not always the case.

I am not saying that Dion is a bad D man but I don't feel he should be the captain.

Pronger is the captain of the Flyers and his salary is 4.9M/year. He is much better than Phaneuf and a better leader. Dions next contract should be less than Prongers.
Nice math skills. His cap is 4.9 but his salary for next season is 7.2. And there's no way he's better than Phaneuf AS OF TODAY. Pronger is like 95% retired at this point.

GreekLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:42 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
OK I'll take a guess at what you're trying to say. If Phaneuf was as super great as the posters here think, there would be a big trade market for him. However, because there appears not to be a big trade market, he's really super crappy. Yes? Close?
And again with the dichotomy or black and white.