HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Dion Phaneuf's next contract?

View Poll Results: Phaneuf's next contract
3 years @ 6.5M 54 42.86%
5 years @ 4.5M 45 35.71%
3 years @ 4M 7 5.56%
There will be no contract as he will not return tot he Leafs. 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-29-2012, 01:52 PM
ALine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
I am not insulting you. I think you have some relevant points that I agree with. On the other hand I strongly disagree with you view on Phaneuf's next contract. IMO you are overrating him.

Like I have said, 5M/year and I'm good anything more is not granted. He is not a 7M/year guy. Like it or not I know the Leafs are desperate at this point but that does not warrant crazy contracts.
I see, and ya that was a little sensitive there of me I apologize.

I just feel that, based off comparables, he will get something around what his current deal is.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:53 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
He plays the PK, the most PK minutes of anyone on the team, because he is the best option we have. Dion is a great defense-men, just gets no support! What would you rather the PK pairings be, if you don't want Phaneuf out there?
Gunnarsson plays the most SH/TOIG, but he missed 6 games, otherwise he'd have the most PK minutes.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Dion's stock was pretty high to Hitchcock and Sutter the past 2 WHC when the Leafs were eliminated.

Dion has played well since returning from the badly cut calve he suffered 1.5 seasons ago.

It's not easy when your next best D man on the team was a rookie named Jake Gardiner, and needing to fight the Steve Downey's of the world when you try to play a physical game while carrying the captaincy on and off the ice is a challenge for most.

Not making excuses for him since I am not dissapointed in Dion at all, he just needs more help in all areas. Colton Orr would be a veteran presence in the locker room and would free Dion from the rats that want to come after him for legal hits he adminsisters. Infact you would see a more surly Dion if he had some physical backing from his teammates.
Gardiner was hardly the next best D man. Not even close, he was a rookie who showed talent, but 4th. best on the team, behind Phaneuf, Gunnarsson and Liles.

He could possibly be 3rd. best this upcoming season, but not this past season.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:58 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
Two perfectly normal hockey fights made you give up on Dion Phaneuf?

Bwuh?
Normal hockey fights? There's a code of conduct on the ice as well as in life - fighting someone while they celebrate a goal - that you gave up on - is despicable.

Fighting a 18 year old - who's brother is your teammate - is also pretty despicable for the captain of a hockey team.

Dion = glorified rat.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:58 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Dion's stock was pretty high to Hitchcock and Sutter the past 2 WHC when the Leafs were eliminated.

Dion has played well since returning from the badly cut calve he suffered 1.5 seasons ago.

It's not easy when your next best D man on the team was a rookie named Jake Gardiner, and needing to fight the Steve Downey's of the world when you try to play a physical game while carrying the captaincy on and off the ice is a challenge for most.

Not making excuses for him since I am not dissapointed in Dion at all, he just needs more help in all areas. Colton Orr would be a veteran presence in the locker room and would free Dion from the rats that want to come after him for legal hits he adminsisters. Infact you would see a more surly Dion if he had some physical backing from his teammates.
WHC selections mean exactly squat. Ditto for him being named captain.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:04 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Insult other people and then write something as stupid as that. Well done.
Your not too shabby on the insults yourself moose.

With all do respect, you always defend Burke no matter what.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:06 PM
thecatch22

Won't make less than 6. 6-6.75 probably.

I don't like him as captain but he's a good player.

lol at the Karlsson comments. He had a mediocre playoffs but was a dominant force on the ice for Ottawa in the regular season.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
After Dion took a run at Brayden Schenn - while his older brother watched from bench - http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...5&event=TOR483

then jumped Hartnell the following game after he scored a goal - I was officially done with this bum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooAmsbo_AiQ

The guys a complete joke. I could care less about his stats.
They had been going at each other all night. Also if you notice on the replay, after Hartnell scores he turns around and with his stick hits Phaneuf in the leg. Not much really, just a tap, but because they had been going at it all night a fight broke out. You make it out that Phaneuf is completely at fault for this, had Hartnell just skated to the corner to cheer like most players do after a goal it wouldn't have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Gardiner was hardly the next best D man. Not even close, he was a rookie who showed talent, but 4th. best on the team, behind Phaneuf, Gunnarsson and Liles.

Pre-concussion Liles was easily better than Gardiner but after his return I think you could argue Gardiner being better. He really turned it on point wise in the second half when Liles was slumping. I just hope we see pre-concussion Liles for 82 games next season

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
diceman934

Quote:
After Dion took a run at Brayden Schenn - while his older brother watched from bench - http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...5&event=TOR483

then jumped Hartnell the following game after he scored a goal - I was officially done with this bum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooAmsbo_AiQ

The guys a complete joke. I could care less about his stats.
He will be paid back for fighting the younger Schenn this year.....The fact that the major reason that Schenn was traded from the Leafs was Dion....will only add to this. It really is no surprise that Schenns play deteriorated after his run in with Dion.....When the coach allows nonsense to go on without it being addressed what do you expect.....Wilson did not go into the dressing room after the games.

I fully expect their to be a power struggle with Carlyle and the captain....can only be one man in charge of a team.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:13 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
I see, and ya that was a little sensitive there of me I apologize.

I just feel that, based off comparables, he will get something around what his current deal is.
All good man.

Your Likely right. He might get 6.5M +. For me be does not deserve it. I would rather spend that 7M on an upgrade.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:20 PM
ALine

Quote:
Gunnarsson plays the most SH/TOIG, but he missed 6 games, otherwise he'd have the most PK minutes.
By a whopping 8 seconds.

Gunnarsson was also not responsible for as many even strength minutes, getting 4 minutes less a game. And barely any pp time.
Less PP time, less ES time by several minute, and a whole 8 seconds more on the PK, per game. The PK time difference is negligible.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:22 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
He will be paid back for fighting the younger Schenn this year.....The fact that the major reason that Schenn was traded from the Leafs was Dion....will only add to this.
You got that right. Luke is going to let Dion know whats up. Dion is going to lose this battle!

Old
07-29-2012, 02:25 PM
ALine

Quote:
You go that right. Luke is going to let Dion know whats up. Dion is going to lose this battle!
LOL. Did you see Luke fight this year against Boston (forget who).
I don't disagree some one will step up for Philly, but for Schenn's own sake, I hope it is not him.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:26 PM
diceman934

Quote:
By a whopping 8 seconds.

Gunnarsson was also not responsible for as many even strength minutes, getting 4 minutes less a game. And barely any pp time.
Less PP time, less ES time by several minute, and a whole 8 seconds more on the PK, per game. The PK time difference is negligible.
If he was not paired with Gunner his plus minus would have been much worse as Dion had Gunner to cover up for his mistakes.....watch the games....and see Dion standing around looking lost....it is pitiful.

He is a selfish....me first player who rags on his team mates....hence the reason why no one came to his aid this year....remember the Ottawa Game when a young player hit him with a cheap shot.....no one came to defend their Captain.....it is very telling.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:26 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Your not too shabby on the insults yourself moose.

With all do respect, you always defend Burke no matter what.
It's always a hoot to be called out by someone who writes something like "do respect".

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:27 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
He will be paid back for fighting the younger Schenn this year.....The fact that the major reason that Schenn was traded from the Leafs was Dion....will only add to this. It really is no surprise that Schenns play deteriorated after his run in with Dion.....When the coach allows nonsense to go on without it being addressed what do you expect.....Wilson did not go into the dressing room after the games.

I fully expect their to be a power struggle with Carlyle and the captain....can only be one man in charge of a team.
I'd love for RC to put Dion in his place - but seeing that Dion is Burkes main man - I dont' see RC winning that battle.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:29 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
It's always a hoot to be called out by someone who writes something like "do respect".
Lol. Ok fine.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:31 PM
ALine

Quote:
If he was not paired with Gunner his plus minus would have been much worse as Dion had Gunner to cover up for his mistakes.....watch the games....and see Dion standing around looking lost....it is pitiful.

He is a selfish....me first player who rags on his team mates....hence the reason why no one came to his aid this year....remember the Ottawa Game when a young player hit him with a cheap shot.....no one came to defend their Captain.....it is very telling.
Right, you're the only one that watches games round here.

I've seen your boy Aulie stand up for Dion multiple times before he was traded.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:

And I guess no Buffalo teammates likes Miller either.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Interactif

Quote:

I would argue Gardiner was, or atleast he was in the conversation as the 2nd best D man on the Leafs last year. He played a regular shift, most in the 2nd pairing and he logged 1st PP time.

Gunnar was mostly paired with Dion, and he is a steady D man. I lobbyed for him last year when everyone wanted to throw him into deals as if he were just a condiment you toss into a sandwich, I am well aware of his worth. He would be best served as a 3rd pairing guy, who gives you safe minutes.

Liles is not as good as most people think, he's ok, like Grabo he will be expendable when some of our good young prospects start to reveal themselves. But watching him this season, I can see why Liles was let go by Colorado. Infact I think a second rd pick was too steep to give up for a player like him. Small undersized defender that may or may not fit into Carlyle's system.

The reality of it all is Dion is miles ahead of anything we have on the NHL roster, or until Rielly, Finn, Percy arrive. Or Gardiner continues to progress and not plateau.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
WHC selections mean exactly squat. Ditto for him being named captain.
Says who?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
diceman934

Quote:
I'd love for RC to put Dion in his place - but seeing that Dion is Burkes main man - I dont' see RC winning that battle.
We will see because it will happen....as Carlyle is not Wilson. Lots of players will understand who the boss is....Lupul can explain it to them all.

Players will be expected to block shots.....did you see Lupul's first game under Carlyle......he went down and blocked a shot something he had not done all year! Expectations have went way up....

Old
07-29-2012, 02:49 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Right, you're the only one that watches games round here.

I've seen your boy Aulie stand up for Dion multiple times before he was traded.
Yes he did, but that was before Dion tossed him under the bus....Aulie will pay him back to be sure and it will not be pretty.

That is was Dion does best .....whine..

Old
07-29-2012, 02:49 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
We will see because it will happen....as Carlyle is not Wilson. Lots of players will understand who the boss is....Lupul can explain it to them all.

Players will be expected to block shots.....did you see Lupul's first game under Carlyle......he went down and blocked a shot something he had not done all year! Expectations have went way up....
Until I see some accountability on this team - I can't bring myself to believe it.
I hope you're correct though.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:52 PM
ALine

Quote:
Yes he did, but that was before Dion tossed him under the bus....Aulie will pay him back to be sure and it will not be pretty.

That is was Dion does best .....whine..
I was talking to a bunch of people in the know at this golf tournament, and yada yada yada, proof so and so is a terrible person. See, anyone can say it, doesn't make it true.