HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Projected Standings: East (3) Tiebreaker

View Poll Results: Who will be third in the East?
Carolina Hurricanes 32 58.18%
Washington Capitals 23 41.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 500
Projected Standings: East (3) Tiebreaker

#1: New York Rangers - 49.23%
#2: Boston Bruins - 67.27%

Last edited by Taelin: 07-31-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:39 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Washington. Don't like Carolina's goalie.

07-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I'd be worried about Holtby starting 60+ games though.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:43 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
What's wrong with Ward? He's a safer bet than Holtby if you ask me.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:54 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Lol.

Look at Washington's goalies.

I don't like Carolina's blueline, but I think they'll win the division.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:57 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Never been a fan of Cam Ward. Granted Holtby isn't a guarantee to be great, but certainly looked very good in limited time as a starter so far. Ward just hasn't managed to put it all together since his rookie playoffs.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:59 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Never been a fan of Cam Ward. Granted Holtby isn't a guarantee to be great, but certainly looked very good in limited time as a starter so far. Ward just hasn't managed to put it all together since his rookie playoffs.
Come on.

They upset their way to the conference final 3 or 4 years ago.

Ward is better than anything Washington has.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:05 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Come on.

They upset their way to the conference final 3 or 4 years ago.

Ward is better than anything Washington has.
And proceeded to get blown the **** out by Pittsburgh. The "legend" of Cam Ward is a complete myth. If Martin Brodeur doesn't completely **** the bed in the final minute of game 7 that year, Carolina is out in round 1.

Also, even in Ward's Conn Smythe year he lost his starters job temporarily to Gerber in the ECF.

Ward is merely an average goalie, and like you say their defense isn't strong enough to mask his issues in net.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:10 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
And proceeded to get blown the **** out by Pittsburgh. The "legend" of Cam Ward is a complete myth. If Martin Brodeur doesn't completely **** the bed in the final minute of game 7 that year, Carolina is out in round 1.

Also, even in Ward's Conn Smythe year he lost his starters job temporarily to Gerber in the ECF.

Ward is merely an average goalie, and like you say their defense isn't strong enough to mask his issues in net.
I'm not speaking to his 'legend' I'm just saying he's better than what Washington has.

I agree he's overrated and living of his cup win as a rookie, but he's still above average and I'm not sold on Washington's young guns.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
I bet it has more to do with the Semin signing and an 'addition by subtraction' idea.

The Semin and Staal acquisitions were both good moves by Carolina, and should be enough to bump them into playoff contention.

While Holtby was relatively solid despite allowing the odd untimely goal, Washington's 2nd round appearance had a lot more to do with a lack of offensive depth on the Bruins, and a decline in play by Thomas. Thomas' massive ego became a factor in that series, as he started to throw the forwards under the bus and became a locker room distraction.

This division is a hard one to call. I'm going to lean towards Carolina, and I think Washington will be somewhere in the 7th-10th pack of teams competing for the last two playoff spots. That said, the only team in that division that I don't think has a legitimate shot at the division title this year is Tampa Bay.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:24 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
I bet it has more to do with the Semin signing and an 'addition by subtraction' idea.

The Semin and Staal acquisitions were both good moves by Carolina, and should be enough to bump them into playoff contention.

While Holtby was relatively solid despite allowing the odd untimely goal, Washington's 2nd round appearance had a lot more to do with a lack of offensive depth on the Bruins, and a decline in play by Thomas. Thomas' massive ego became a factor in that series, as he started to throw the forwards under the bus and became a locker room distraction.

This division is a hard one to call. I'm going to lean towards Carolina, and I think Washington will be somewhere in the 7th-10th pack of teams competing for the last two playoff spots. That said, the only team in that division that I don't think has a legitimate shot at the division title this year is Tampa Bay.
I think it's a 3 horse race with Carolina, Washington, and Tampa.

Winnepeg is a dark horse and Florida will be back in the lottery.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:27 PM
KISSland

Carolina: Great goalie, good top 9, question marks on D with their 3rd pairing.
Washington: Good top 9, question mark on G, and pretty good D with Alzner and Carlson leading the way.

It's really a tough one.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:31 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Washington: Good top 9, question mark on G, and pretty good D with Alzner and Carlson leading the way.

It's really a tough one.
Cam Ward isn't a great goalie. He's an average goalie.

I honestly wouldn't count out the Winnipeg Jets in this division, but sadly this tie breaker doesn't include them.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Fedz

Quote:

It's really a tough one.
I really fail to see Carolina's defensive deficiency's. They aren't going to be confused with a top 5 defense in the league but with proper coaching and their current back end they will be more than fine.

Their top four includes the likes of Pitkanen, Gleason and Corvo who are all very serviceable top 4 defenseman. They also have youngsters Justin Faulk and Jamie McBain who both had over 25 points last year and are only getting better, particularly Faulk who is going to be a stud. Then they have Jay Harrison who is a big mean defenseman who actually chipped in with 9 goals last season.

Not to mention they have Ryan Murphy who almost made their team last year as an 18 year old that will push for a spot and could be a bonafide PP QB.

Their defense really isn't as bad as one would think.

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:39 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
I really fail to see Carolina's defensive deficiency's. They aren't going to be confused with a top 5 defense in the league but with proper coaching and their current back end they will be more than fine.

Their top four includes the likes of Pitkanen, Gleason and Corvo who are all very serviceable top 4 defenseman. They also have youngsters Justin Faulk and Jamie McBain who both had over 25 points last year and are only getting better, particularly Faulk who is going to be a stud. Then they have Jay Harrison who is a big mean defenseman who actually chipped in with 9 goals last season.

Not to mention they have Ryan Murphy who almost made their team last year as an 18 year old that will push for a spot and could be a bonafide PP QB.

I don't know much about those other two defensemen, but Corvo is atrocious.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Cam Ward isn't a great goalie. He's an average goalie.

I honestly wouldn't count out the Winnipeg Jets in this division, but sadly this tie breaker doesn't include them.
Technically Cam Ward is an above average goaltendering playing in front of the a below average defense that last four years.

His SP% is higher than the league average in the last four years and his team's defense (shots against) is also higher than the league average the last four years.

However, I do agree with you that Ward is overrated.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I think it's a 3 horse race with Carolina, Washington, and Tampa.

Winnepeg is a dark horse and Florida will be back in the lottery.
Lindback put up decent stats in a very defensive Nashville system with sheltered starts. He's going to be hung out to dry in Tampa. Salo was solid, when he isn't injured, but last year we started to see a decline in his play. That acquisition was a bit of a head-scratcher considering the money he got. It makes me wonder how much ice time per night they are expecting out of him. They over-paid by quite a bit to get Matt Carle, but we saw what happened to Philadelphia's D in the playoffs, and he should shoulder some of the blame for that mess. They will be in the 7th-10th pack of teams, and IMO will just miss the post-season.

Florida lost Garrison, but picked up Kuba so they didn't slide back too far. They won the division last year, so I wouldn't count them out. Of course, if they pick up Luongo, they would become the favorites to repeat as division champs but we are projecting on the rosters as they stand.

As for Winnipeg, Jokinen and Ponikarovsky were good acquisitions, and being in a Canadian market, I could see them being buyers at the deadline and being closer to the cap ceiling than the floor.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Fedz

Quote:
I don't know much about those other two defensemen, but Corvo is atrocious.
Atrocious? Thats all you got for Corvo? Sure he might not be a top 4 defenseman on a Cup Contender but he is an average RH NHL defenseman that has carved out a nice career for himself.

I think most teams would be happy with a defenseman that plays the right side and has 25 points in 75 games while being a +10. Sure he played in Boston, but those are still pretty decent numbers. He is a career +35, with only two full seasons being a minus player.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I'd be worried about Holtby starting 60+ games though.
There was a time when Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur didn't play 60+ games.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
KISSland

Quote:

Carolina's D vs Washington's D

Pitkanen
Gleason
Corvo
McBain
Faulk
Harrison

VS.

Green
Hamrlik
Alzner
Carlson
Poti
Orlov
Schultz

Come to think of it I think Washington needs help on wing after losing Semin. Although their center depth is great with Backstrom, Ribeiro, Laich, Johansson, Beagle.

I think Carolina's D is more of a question mark on the bottom pairing then Washington's although it is close.

And Y2K I'm saying great G compared to Washington.. Holtby hasn't proven much yet.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
There was a time when Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur didn't play 60+ games.
For every Roy, you have a Mason.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
For every Roy, you have a Mason.
thanks

Mason10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Carolina's D vs Washington's D

Pitkanen
Gleason
Corvo
McBain
Faulk
Harrison

VS.

Green
Hamrlik
Alzner
Carlson
Poti
Orlov
Schultz

Come to think of it I think Washington needs help on wing after losing Semin. Although their center depth is great with Backstrom, Ribeiro, Laich, Johansson, Beagle.

I think Carolina's D is more of a question mark on the bottom pairing then Washington's although it is close.

And Y2K I'm saying great G compared to Washington.. Holtby hasn't proven much yet.
I never said I thought Carolina's D was better than Washington's. What I was stating simply was that their defense doesn't have the deficiency's most think it do. I think that their backend is the least of their worries.

Washington's growing young defense with the right system could arguably be one of the better backends in the league. Alzner, Carlson, Olrov and Schultz is a great young top 4, and thats not even including Mike Green.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:14 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Atrocious? Thats all you got for Corvo? Sure he might not be a top 4 defenseman on a Cup Contender but he is an average RH NHL defenseman that has carved out a nice career for himself.

I think most teams would be happy with a defenseman that plays the right side and has 25 points in 75 games while being a +10. Sure he played in Boston, but those are still pretty decent numbers. He is a career +35, with only two full seasons being a minus player.
I do not agree at all. He never uses his strength/size, and he's only good for contributing offense on occasion. He's a defensive liability out there; very little knowledge of the game and lacks the sense to play solid positional hockey. It's no wonder Boston cut him loose.

Last edited by aandbreatheme: 07-30-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old
07-30-2012, 09:18 PM
KISSland

Quote:
I never said I thought Carolina's D was better than Washington's. What I was stating simply was that their defense doesn't have the deficiency's most think it do. I think that their backend is the least of their worries.

Washington's growing young defense with the right system could arguably be one of the better backends in the league. Alzner, Carlson, Olrov and Schultz is a great young top 4, and thats not even including Mike Green.
Sorry when I made the list I meant between the two.

I think Capitals D is greater than Hurricanes, Hurricanes G is greater than Capitals and their F is probably on par.

Top 6 for Caps: Ovechkin, Backstrom, Ribeiro, Brouwer, Johansson, Wolski.

Top 6 for Canes: Staal, Staal, Semin, Ruutu, Jokinen, Skinner

Come to think of it I think Canes top 6 is greater or has the potential to be greater.

Still tough call to make between the two.