HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Phoenix Arizona Hosting The Summer Olympic Games

View Poll Results: Good idea to have the games in Phoenix?
Yes 1 5.56%
No 16 88.89%
Depends 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

vCash: 500
Phoenix Arizona Hosting The Summer Olympic Games

I know many will say no because of the extreme heat. However, there are ways to deal with the heat since its is not going to be 100+ degrees from sunrise to sunset. At best, the outdoor events would have to be held in the early hours of the morning and let the games start in late August or in early September.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 07-28-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:32 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
The US had one relatively recently

In my opinion, a continent should have to wait at least 8 years to see the games (of the same type) return 4 years for different type, and a country should have to wait 14 years for a different type of games, and 40 years for a same type of games to return

Spread them around as best possible

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:42 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

You have all the venues in a close range, it's a great place to hold it. Only problem is the heat and it is extreme this time of year.

By early in the morning do you mean 5-6 am because when I've been there its best to start golfing as early as possible and even then you're constantly downing water.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:43 PM
17futurecap

Believe USA is going to bid on one of 2024 or 2026.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:49 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Believe USA is going to bid on one of 2024 or 2026.
What cities are rumoured to have interest?

Old
07-28-2012, 10:55 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
What cities are rumoured to have interest?
Comes from Wikipedia, but everything is sourced to a real story. 2024 shows Chicago, Dallas, LA, NYC, Philly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Summer_Olympics

No city mentions for 2026 that I can find.

Would think going for summer 2024 would have the better chance since North America hosted 2002 and 2010 Winter Olympics, but who knows?

Last edited by 17futurecap: 07-28-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old
07-28-2012, 11:09 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Comes from Wikipedia, but everything is sourced to a real story. 2024 shows Chicago, Dallas, LA, NYC, Philly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Summer_Olympics

No city mentions for 2026 that I can find.

Would think going for summer 2024 would have the better chance since North America hosted 2002 and 2010 Winter Olympics, but who knows?
Those are some huge cities. I'd like to see New York get it because it would be spectacular. LA would be nice time zone wise. Not a fan of Philly or Dallas but wow that would be some tough competition for Phoenix/Glendale/Tempe.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:21 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Those are some huge cities. I'd like to see New York get it because it would be spectacular. LA would be nice time zone wise. Not a fan of Philly or Dallas but wow that would be some tough competition for Phoenix/Glendale/Tempe.
NY was in final 4 for these 2012 games, but it never really came together when the West Side Stadium was rejected to be built. I think NYC would have trouble finding places to hold track and field, as well as swimming. Now they do have brand new stadiums that will not be old in 2024, Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, MetLife Stadium, Renovated MSG, Barclays Center, Prudential Center, and Red Bull Arena. Not to mention the National Tennis Center for tennis, but just not sure what they would do for swimming and track and field. Also building an Olympic Village somewhere could be a problem haha.

Here was the plan for the failed 2012 bid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...ummer_Olympics

Old
07-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

If Qatar can host the world cup, im sure PHX can host the olympics without heat being a problem

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Mexico would boycott...

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:48 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
NY was in final 4 for these 2012 games, but it never really came together when the West Side Stadium was rejected to be built. I think NYC would have trouble finding places to hold track and field, as well as swimming. Now they do have brand new stadiums that will not be old in 2024, Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, MetLife Stadium, Renovated MSG, Barclays Center, Prudential Center, and Red Bull Arena. Not to mention the National Tennis Center for tennis, but just not sure what they would do for swimming and track and field. Also building an Olympic Village somewhere could be a problem haha.

Here was the plan for the failed 2012 bid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...ummer_Olympics
Can't they turn one of the stadiums into track? Couldn't Metlife host the ceremonies and track and use Citi/Yankee for other track events?

for swimming, build a pool, it doesn't have to be too big, the London one doesn't look huge.

As for the Olympic village I have two words for you: Donald Trump.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:53 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Can't they turn one of the stadiums into track? Couldn't Metlife host the ceremonies and track and use Citi/Yankee for other track events?

for swimming, build a pool, it doesn't have to be too big, the London one doesn't look huge.

As for the Olympic village I have two words for you: Donald Trump.
MetLife could definitely host the Opening Ceremonies. I wonder if they would be mad it would be in New Jersey and not New York haha. I guess it would depend if the football teams would be okay with not having preseason home games, and what the condition of the field would be after it was all said and done.

I would personally love to see it happen living in NJ because it looks like a ton of fun to attend some of these events live.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:58 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
MetLife could definitely host the Opening Ceremonies. I wonder if they would be mad it would be in New Jersey and not New York haha. I guess it would depend if the football teams would be okay with not having preseason home games, and what the condition of the field would be after it was all said and done.

I would personally love to see it happen living in NJ because it looks like a ton of fun to attend some of these events live.
It is an amazing experience, after hosting the winter games it is now my goal to attend a summer games because i actually like the events more overall.

I'll definitely go to the next one in north america. LA, NY, Texas, AZ, I don't care I'll be there.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:45 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Nah, I'd prefer to see another market get it instead. And, truth be told, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see every Latin American country bloc vote against Phoenix en masse just because of the state's immigration politics over the past couple years, so that'd be one helluva hurdle to overcome.

And Chicago's not going to bid, or at the very least I'd be honestly shocked if we did try to get the Olympics again. It really was 2016 or bust, and former Mayor Daley was the big pusher behind everything as a sort of way to try to seal his legacy with one final building project and international event. Failing to get it, especially in the way that it happened, all but killed the buzz behind the support that Daley had built up over the years as is rumored to be one of the main reasons why Daley didn't try to run for yet another term or two (along with his wife's issues with cancer, who unfortunately passed away soon after he left office).

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:48 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Nah, I'd prefer to see another market get it instead. And, truth be told, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see every Latin American country bloc vote against Phoenix en masse just because of the state's immigration politics over the past couple years, so that'd be one helluva hurdle to overcome.

And Chicago's not going to bid, or at the very least I'd be honestly shocked if we did try to get the Olympics again. It really was 2016 or bust, and former Mayor Daley was the big pusher behind everything as a sort of way to try to seal his legacy with one final building project and international event. Failing to get it, especially in the way that it happened, all but killed the buzz behind the support that Daley had built up over the years as is rumored to be one of the main reasons why Daley didn't try to run for yet another term or two (along with his wife's issues with cancer, who unfortunately passed away soon after he left office).

Countries boycotting because their people can't break American laws and enter their state illegally. Ridiculous but yeah it would happen.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

Quote:

Countries boycotting because their people can't break American laws and enter their state illegally. Ridiculous but yeah it would happen.
Politics would be the only reason why I can't see Phoenix ever hosting the summer games. As far as the weather goes that is another issue. It is easy to say to put the games in a city that isn't a desert. But what if a major heat waive happens where the actual temps are as high the desert and the humidity(which drives up the heat index) reach at or near 100%? At least in the desert, there is low to no humidity almost all the time and the actual feel of heat is less then the actual temp.

Lets see, a place that hits 105 but feels like 120 with the high humidity or a place that is 105 but feels like the lower 90's or upper 80's with low to no humidity. I would rather go with the latter.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
The northern part of the Arizona is beautiful and is never too hot for sports to be played outside. I know AZ could do it, but I don't think they will. Honestly, I'm not sure the state is deserving of the Olympics at the moment.

I'd like to see N.Y. get it. They would be able to make it as epic as it should be.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote