HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

BUF-ANA (Bobby Ryan)

Old
07-30-2012, 11:46 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

vCash: 500
Put me down for a no on Sekera AND Stafford. One or the other.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:46 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Again, as I posted on the main board, the last two seasons:

Ryan: .39 gpg, .78 ppg

Stafford: .36 gpg, .72 ppg

I don't think this can be overstated enough. The difference in player is not that great, and if you give Stafford a full season on the wing with Ennis, Stafford could easily blow Ryan out of the water in production this year. These Stafford+++ proposals are insane if you step back and look at them.
Totally agree with you on this one.

http://buffalosabresnow.blogspot.com...ats-march.html
: On offense, Lindy Ruff finally put Tyler Ennis in the pivot and surrounded him with two big bodies--Drew Stafford and Marcus Foligno.

The results from that line: 11games played, 20 goals, 24 assists and a combined plus-34. As seen in the plus/minus, this line did their damage 5-on-5.

This line is going to be one of the best next year in all of hockey in points and plus minus imo. I don't think Lindy would ever separate that line. He would be out of his mind to break up that line. This year Stafford nets 35 goals imo if that line stays together. 35 goals 35 assists sounds about right.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

The last 2 seasons is a misrepresentation... it includes Stafford best year and Ryans worst year. Stafford has had one Ryan-type year in his career. Stafford "career year" is still worse than Ryans worst year by 5 points, and Ryan still has upside. Stafford likely is who he is.

Look at thier last 4 seasons.... bigger sample size

Stafford: 71 goals. 97 assists in 209 games .57 points per game.

Ryan: 131 goals and 118 assists in 309 games .80 points per game

Ryan is much better than Stafford in every way.

Last edited by Karate Johnson: 07-30-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
This line is going to be one of the best next year in all of hockey in points and plus minus imo. I don't think Lindy would ever separate that line. He would be out of his mind to break up that line. This year Stafford nets 35 goals imo if that line stays together. 35 goals 35 assists sounds about right.
Let me introduce you to Sabres hockey....

Old
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I've been saying that Anaheim probably would like to at least replace the loss of Justin Schultz, whether with a top prospect or roster player. Not sure who Anaheim would prefer from Buffalo, but at least there are a few options. That may mitigate the lack of a true 2C...possibly.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:13 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Let me introduce you to Sabres hockey....

I forgot.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas vanek View Post
I think some people on here have forgotten what the Rangers traded to get Rick freaking Nash. Albeit slightly different circumstances, but they didn't gut their team and I wouldn't expect whomever winds up with Ryan to have to tear their team apart for him either.

Stafford
Adam/Sekera
One prospect not named Grigs, Girgs, Armia
2013 1st

should get this done

And, there is no way they are including Hodgson and once again being painfully weak at center just so they can have another winger
This sounds like what it may take and I'd be OK with them doing it though I honestly am not sure it's for the best. If it's Adam instead of Sekera I feel a lot better about it because Sekera is one of the most solid players the Sabres have at a more important position (assuming Adam is indeed a winger).

Still though, we underrate Stafford here because of our frustrations with his consistency. The guy's physical game is rather similar to Ryan's (neither bang around all that much but use their bodies to protect and throw hits now and then). He's obviously less consistent and his tools aren't quite as good but nor are they far off. I think he gets at least 25 this season and feel pretty good about him getting 30. Ryan will likely score more -- certainly more points -- but I don't see the Drew-Ennis chemistry dying down, though they might face tougher competition.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The Nash and Ryan situations aren't analogous. Nash wanted out for awhile and the Jackets were trying to trade him for some time. They had to trade him this offseason and everyone knew it. Plus, Nash has a bad contract given the term and his recent production. Ryan has a very reasonable deal, both in term and money. He doesn't have to be moved, either. Not comparable situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Ryan has grown sick of the rumors of him being on the trade block and basically said, if you are going to shop me, move me already. And if you can send me to Philly, that would be great.

It wasn't a "trade me right ****ing now!" type demand, though.
Neither of you know that. You're passing judgment on a comparison between Nash and Ryan, and neither of you have any knowledge of the actual situation. As do none of us. Particualrly you, Zip, pass judgment on what folks write as if you're an authority on the topic. Do you talk to Murray and know what's going on?

That's why I wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
For me, the real question centers around the internal relationship between Ryan and the Duck organization. If either party, or both, is committed to parting company, then that forces the trade hand a bit in terms of demand. We'll never know that though....
For all we know, the Ryan situation HAS reached an internal poiling point, and that situation isn't known. Some organizations don't readily or easily leak information... Buffalo being one of those organizations. Maybe Anaheim and Ryan have reached the point that Columbus and Nash did, but we, the general public, and the media haven't been made aware to as of yet.

Zip, maybe you're right. Maybe the situations aren't comparable depending on how Ryan and the Anaheim organization are interacting these days. But you don't know that.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
The last 2 seasons is a misrepresentation... it includes Stafford best year and Ryans worst year. Stafford has had one Ryan-type year in his career. Stafford "career year" is still worse than Ryans worst year by 5 points, and Ryan still has upside. Stafford likely is who he is.

Look at thier last 4 seasons.... bigger sample size

Stafford: 71 goals. 97 assists in 209 games .57 points per game.

Ryan: 131 goals and 118 assists in 309 games .80 points per game

Ryan is much better than Stafford in every way.
4 years is a misrepresentation because it doesn't account for a players growth curve. Some players are better than others early in their careers, that doesn't mean what it is now. When talking about Stastny, should we talk about his rookie year, or what he's done recently? Two seasons gives you plenty of room to see what they are as players, and the difference isn't much.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:31 PM
ceky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
35 goals 35 assists sounds about right.
i just wanted to write that I thought 35/35 is way to much to expect from him..... but looking it up, I completely missed that he reached 31 goals last season.

imho a lot depends on the final roster for next year, if sabres can roll 3 solid scoring lines FES could very much keep on rocking

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:37 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Ennis and Hodgson are untouchable just because we have no centers. Sure, you have to give to get, but if you end up with 0-1 NHL centers on your team, what you get is screwed.
I look at it this way. We drafted Grigorenko and Girgensons as C's, long term they'll probably be #1 (Grigs) and #3 (Girgs). One of Ennis of Hodgson is going to be your #2, but not both. None of them are 4th line players - they're all too good.

On paper today, our roster doesn't look like a Cup winner to me. So what do we really lose on this season if we move one of Hodgson or Ennis? Now let's look to next season and beyond when we have Grigs, Ennis/Hodson, Girgs as your top 3 centers with Bobby Ryan on the wing. That's far more appealing to me.

In the end, you might take one step back this year to move three steps forward next year. It's a risk, sure, but I'm ready to try something new.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
4 years is a misrepresentation because it doesn't account for a players growth curve. Some players are better than others early in their careers, that doesn't mean what it is now. When talking about Stastny, should we talk about his rookie year, or what he's done recently? Two seasons gives you plenty of room to see what they are as players, and the difference isn't much.
Larger sample sizes lead to greater precision.... and we aren't talking about two player that started playing at the same time either. What Stafford is is a 50 point player... Ryan has been, and still has the potential to be a 70pt player.... Ryan is also the younger player, should't the "growth curve" argument work more for him than Stafford?

We're even excluding Staffords worst years... "growth curve" has nothing to do with it.

You can disagree, but the numbers don't lie...

Staffords best year is worse than Ryans worst year, and Ryan is younger and still growing. Thats all i need to know....

Old
07-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Jame
Dream '16

our beloved board, has devolved into something similar to the Leafs board... just completely rampant homerism.

i can't believe we are comparing Stafford and Ryan... it's absurd

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
I look at it this way. We drafted Grigorenko and Girgensons as C's, long term they'll probably be #1 (Grigs) and #3 (Girgs). One of Ennis of Hodgson is going to be your #2, but not both. None of them are 4th line players - they're all too good.

On paper today, our roster doesn't look like a Cup winner to me. So what do we really lose on this season if we move one of Hodgson or Ennis? Now let's look to next season and beyond when we have Grigs, Ennis/Hodson, Girgs as your top 3 centers with Bobby Ryan on the wing. That's far more appealing to me.

In the end, you might take one step back this year to move three steps forward next year. It's a risk, sure, but I'm ready to try something new.
You are correct, the idea that they can't deal one of Hodgson or Ennis right now simply because the are two guys who can play center for this coming season does not hold water. However, Ennis need not be in the middle going forward as he's shown how productive he can be on the wing. Also, if they do create a bigger hole in the middle for this season, I can't see Regier putting this coming first rounder into the mix. Again, too much risk.

07-30-2012, 12:53 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Neither of you know that. You're passing judgment on a comparison between Nash and Ryan, and neither of you have any knowledge of the actual situation. As do none of us. Particualrly you, Zip, pass judgment on what folks write as if you're an authority on the topic. Do you talk to Murray and know what's going on?
Bobby Ryan has not been afraid to go public with his feelings on the situation.

Hence the comments to the writer in NJ earlier in the off season where he said that he'd like a deal to the Flyers.

Quote:
"I take things personally," Ryan said. "Anaheim to me has been a team over the past year that really has shown me nothing to prove that they want me here, unfortunately. Obviously, it's not the ideal situation. When you get drafted, you want to win championships with that team and every time they look to add a piece to the puzzle, I'm the piece going the other way.

"I gotta be honest with you. At this point, I don't care. Move me ... because it's just tough going to the rink every day knowing that if something goes wrong, you're going to be the guy moved."
The Rick Nash situation was very different. Nash having a NTC complicated matters, as well.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:40 PM
OkimLom

Quote:

Then you have to ask yourself, What would you rather have, the dynamic small player that puts the effort in each game they play that has remarkable playmaking ability, or a solid two-way player that lacks the explosiveness but plays at a high IQ and is reliable in both zones ? That where Depth becomes your ally, because you can afford to take that risk with either player.

In a few years you can look at having:

Ennis/Hodgson, Grigorenko, Girgensen Centering possible duos of:

Vanek/Pominville
Foligno/Ryan
Leino/Armia

IMO, that's Exciting

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas vanek View Post
I think some people on here have forgotten what the Rangers traded to get Rick freaking Nash. Albeit slightly different circumstances, but they didn't gut their team and I wouldn't expect whomever winds up with Ryan to have to tear their team apart for him either.

Stafford
Adam/Sekera
One prospect not named Grigs, Girgs, Armia
2013 1st

should get this done

And, there is no way they are including Hodgson and once again being painfully weak at center just so they can have another winger
The difference is that Howson is a bad gm. He was asking for the galaxy and Sather waited, and gave howson pluto pretty much. Murray is a little bit better. But come camp time the offers wont be as big, you're right. Wait it out. And don't give up centers to get more wingers if centers are a need.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:49 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
our beloved board, has devolved into something similar to the Leafs board... just completely rampant homerism.

i can't believe we are comparing Stafford and Ryan... it's absurd
What's more absurd is I agree with you...

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:50 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:

You're presuming all 4 of them turn out to be top 9 centers. But they're all prospects, essentially, and Ennis might not even stick at that position. Hodgson has all of one season under his belt and spent most of it on the third line. So you move on to next season with Bobby Ryan on the wing and three guys who maybe can't even center a top 6 line, and things are all rosy? I think it's pretty unlikely. Especially the part about Grigs and Girgs being ready to be NHL difference makers next year. At this point, you just spent 5 years bemoaning the lack of quality centers in the organization, and now you have 4 prospects who might work out and you suddenly need to get them off your hands?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Bobby Ryan has not been afraid to go public with his feelings on the situation.

Hence the comments to the writer in NJ earlier in the off season where he said that he'd like a deal to the Flyers.

The Rick Nash situation was very different. Nash having a NTC complicated matters, as well.
Exactly how is it different?

Nash and Ryan both want out. The details of the circumstances, like Nash's NTC and his contract, are obvious differences.

But, if both want out of their current situations, and the asking price/conditions aren't being met (Stepan/Kreider or a 2C), then the trade price changes if the team truly wants to make a move.

And that's all I'm saying. Ryan made statements pointing to a bad internal situation. If it's truly that bad, and Anaheim has to move him for the sake of the team, AND no team is offering up a 2C (Couturier, Schenn, Hodgson, Ennis, etc.) then Murray has a dilemma.

- Keep Ryan and hope he isn't a distraction and plays well enough to maintain his current value.

- Trade Ryan for something other that a 2C.

I predicted that Murray will eventually choose to trade Ryan for good value that doesn't include a 2C (unless the conditions change, eg: another team with a 2C to spare joins the trade fray).

Old
07-30-2012, 02:18 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Exactly how is it different?

Nash and Ryan both want out. The details of the circumstances, like Nash's NTC and his contract, are obvious differences.

But, if both want out of their current situations, and the asking price/conditions aren't being met (Stepan/Kreider or a 2C), then the trade price changes if the team truly wants to make a move.

And that's all I'm saying. Ryan made statements pointing to a bad internal situation. If it's truly that bad, and Anaheim has to move him for the sake of the team, AND no team is offering up a 2C (Couturier, Schenn, Hodgson, Ennis, etc.) then Murray has a dilemma.

- Keep Ryan and hope he isn't a distraction and plays well enough to maintain his current value.

- Trade Ryan for something other that a 2C.

I predicted that Murray will eventually choose to trade Ryan for good value that doesn't include a 2C (unless the conditions change, eg: another team with a 2C to spare joins the trade fray).
The difference is that Columbus acknowledged Nash's demand and made it a priority to move him.

Murray's response was that he'd talk to Ryan after the draft and things have been relatively silent since then.

Ryan has also made comments on twitter like he'd be happy to stay in Anaheim.

Nash just wanted out. Ryan wants to stay in Anaheim or he wants to move if Anaheim wants to move him. Ryan is just sick of the trade rumors.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
The difference is that Columbus acknowledged Nash's demand and made it a priority to move him.

Murray's response was that he'd talk to Ryan after the draft and things have been relatively silent since then.

Ryan has also made comments on twitter like he'd be happy to stay in Anaheim.

Nash just wanted out. Ryan wants to stay in Anaheim or he wants to move if Anaheim wants to move him. Ryan is just sick of the trade rumors.
So, what I said originally still holds true? Just checking.

Quote:
For me, the real question centers around the internal relationship between Ryan and the Duck organization. If either party, or both, is committed to parting company, then that forces the trade hand a bit in terms of demand. We'll never know that though....

Old
07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
You're presuming all 4 of them turn out to be top 9 centers. But they're all prospects, essentially, and Ennis might not even stick at that position. Hodgson has all of one season under his belt and spent most of it on the third line. So you move on to next season with Bobby Ryan on the wing and three guys who maybe can't even center a top 6 line, and things are all rosy? I think it's pretty unlikely. Especially the part about Grigs and Girgs being ready to be NHL difference makers next year. At this point, you just spent 5 years bemoaning the lack of quality centers in the organization, and now you have 4 prospects who might work out and you suddenly need to get them off your hands?
So your basic reasoning to why Ennis or Hodgson are untradeable is because they're unproven?

If you're really worried about the absolute worst case scenerio, then yeah, I'd rather have Bobby Ryan and 3 guys that maybe can't center a top 6 line than no Bobby Ryan and 4 guys who maybe can't center a top 6 line. At least Bobby Ryan is still a tradeable asset. He's a top 5 LW in the league. In the latter, you're just SOL.

Last edited by zbubble: 07-30-2012 at 03:46 PM.
zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Then you have to ask yourself, What would you rather have, the dynamic small player that puts the effort in each game they play that has remarkable playmaking ability, or a solid two-way player that lacks the explosiveness but plays at a high IQ and is reliable in both zones ? That where Depth becomes your ally, because you can afford to take that risk with either player.

In a few years you can look at having:

Ennis/Hodgson, Grigorenko, Girgensen Centering possible duos of:

Vanek/Pominville
Foligno/Ryan
Leino/Armia

IMO, that's Exciting
Bye Hodgson!!

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So your basic reasoning to why Ennis or Hodgson are untradeable is because they're unproven?

If you're really worried about the absolute worst case scenerio, then yeah, I'd rather have Bobby Ryan and 3 guys that maybe can't center a top 6 line than no Bobby Ryan and 4 guys who maybe can't center a top 6 line. At least Bobby Ryan is still a tradeable asset. He's a top 5 LW in the league. In the latter, you're just SOL.

True 'dat.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote