HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cracked blade holder

Old
07-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Cracked blade holder

So, I noticed this week that there's a crack in the blade holder on my forward skates. It's right around where the front bolt that holds the blade in place is, and runs through the bolt hole through both sides. Must have happened when I took a shot in the skate playing a couple Sundays ago.

I'm on a pretty tight budget. Is there any way to repair it? The skates are several years old (they're CCM 452 Tacks), and there's no way I could afford a new pair of skates. Or, how easy/expensive it is to replace the holder?

I'm at work right now, but when I get home I can post a picture of the damage in case my description of it isn't adequate.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:32 PM
mbeam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
So, I noticed this week that there's a crack in the blade holder on my forward skates. It's right around where the front bolt that holds the blade in place is, and runs through the bolt hole through both sides. Must have happened when I took a shot in the skate playing a couple Sundays ago.

I'm on a pretty tight budget. Is there any way to repair it? The skates are several years old (they're CCM 452 Tacks), and there's no way I could afford a new pair of skates. Or, how easy/expensive it is to replace the holder?

I'm at work right now, but when I get home I can post a picture of the damage in case my description of it isn't adequate.
I've replaced a few holders and/or blades in my time. It's not too expensive. Provided you have a quality local hockey shop, take it in and show them. My guess would be ~$15-30.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:01 PM
AIREAYE

oooh with the Prolite holders? Your chances of finding a pair in the right size are very slim. Even if you opt to switch holders, the cost per holder and steel (around $60 per skate) wouldn't make financial sense to get them replaced. You cannot get them repaired either.

Take them to your local store and see what they say, but it's very very likely that you'll have to look for new skates.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Hank4Hart

i'd just buy a set of used skates to replace your 452's

it takes about 20-30 bucks to get a new holder, and once you do your local hockey shop charges you to take the broken holder off your skate and then charge you again to put the new holders onto the skate.

so all together it will add up to quite a bit.

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

Here's the extent of the damage:

Old
07-26-2012, 06:44 PM
AIREAYE

gone beyond repair unfortunately

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Marotte Marauder

JB Weld will hold.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

Noticed today after playing that my other skate has also developed a big crack (much bigger than the ones in the pictures I posted on the original skate) in the blade holder. They lasted the session but I'm kind of scared to skate on them. Found some entry-level skates (Bauer Supreme ONE20) on clearance for $40 at hockeygiant in my size; they're probably not exactly the best skates in the world but they'll do for now until I'm better off financially.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:33 PM
hockeymass

I had a pair of Pro Tacks with Prolite holders on them that cracked and I had E-Blade Pro holders installed on them.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote