HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best "defensive" Defence-man of all time

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-29-2012, 02:08 PM
  #1
TradeBait
Registered User
 
TradeBait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Best "defensive" Defence-man of all time

There's no arguing that Orr was the best D-man to ever lace 'em up, but that was because of the way he redefined the offensive role of the position. If we were to only look at the defensive aspect of the position the title of "best all-time" is debateable, who do you think the best defence-man of all time is?

Homer vote for Nick Lidstrom, IMO the smartest player in NHL history, he just didn't make mistakes. If there's was offensive break coming from the opposition and my team only had one player back, it's a no brainer to me I'd want it to be Nick.

TradeBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:14 PM
  #2
Fountain16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Langway,Stevens, homer vote,MacInnis,super under rated.

Fountain16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:15 PM
  #3
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Amherst, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,425
vCash: 500
Chara

Lidstrom was extremely smart positionally, his stick, he was physical

But chara is just down right dominant. His reach alone makes him extremely hard to play against

Orr and Bourque agree

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:15 PM
  #4
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 50
Doug Harvey.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:17 PM
  #5
LeX4cavalier
Registered User
 
LeX4cavalier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Langway for sure

LeX4cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:28 PM
  #6
Mister Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hockeyland
Country: United States
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Dave Burrows
Rod Langway
Bill White

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:34 PM
  #7
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,386
vCash: 500
This should probably go in the history forum

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
  #8
LuigiStone*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Aki Berg was very underrated.

LuigiStone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:40 PM
  #9
Tatanik
Registered User
 
Tatanik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,909
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Janne Niinimaa.


Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:41 PM
  #10
drmagg
Registered User
 
drmagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Guam
Posts: 729
vCash: 500
Probably Salming or Fetisov

drmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:44 PM
  #11
ZDatsZuke
optimistic
 
ZDatsZuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Wales
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
Lidstrom.

ZDatsZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:51 PM
  #12
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,742
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TradeBait View Post
There's no arguing that Orr was the best D-man to ever lace 'em up, but that was because of the way he redefined the offensive role of the position. If we were to only look at the defensive aspect of the position the title of "best all-time" is debateable, who do you think the best defence-man of all time is?
Bobby Orr was also one of the best defensive defencemen to have ever played the game, perhaps even the best.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:02 PM
  #13
King In The North
Sean Bennett
 
King In The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Lidstrom is the best. Just watching him play and be able to predict, and knock pucks out of mid air when the opposing team is trying to dump the puck in demonstrates his unique vision.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
  #14
Jonathan17
Trollface!
 
Jonathan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Bobby Orr was also one of the best defensive defencemen to have ever played the game, perhaps even the best.
Probably. But Lidstrom didn`t score as much as Orr; therefore, Lidstrom must be better defensively. That seems to be the logic at play.

Shore should get a mention along with Harvey and surprising that there`s not more love for Big Bird....and that coming from a B`s fan.

Jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:24 PM
  #15
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!
 
Rob Nieds work ethic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lund, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,548
vCash: 500
Lidström and Stevens

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:36 PM
  #16
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Bobby Orr was also one of the best defensive defencemen to have ever played the game, perhaps even the best.
This -- Orr isn't just known for his offensive talent and how he revolutionized the position. He is in even more elite company amongst the elite company because he really didn't have any flaws. He was the best offensive defenseman, he was the best defensive defenseman, he could fight really well, he was tough, he was fast, etc.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:40 PM
  #17
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 31,691
vCash: 500
If we're talking about pure, one-way defensive defensemen, Langway is probably the top guy.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:42 PM
  #18
Gibsons Finest
Beast
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon/Brandon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Doug Harvey.
17 posts and only one of them is correct. Sad.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:43 PM
  #19
Stars23*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Lidstrom

Stars23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:46 PM
  #20
feds91
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Larry Robinson. + 730, nuf said

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:49 PM
  #21
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,432
vCash: 500
Langway
Lidstrom
Harvey
Shore
Orr
Foote
Stevens
Pronger
Chara

All very good at protecting their goal.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:51 PM
  #22
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,426
vCash: 500
Larry Robinson

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:01 PM
  #23
chcl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
This -- Orr isn't just known for his offensive talent and how he revolutionized the position. He is in even more elite company amongst the elite company because he really didn't have any flaws. He was the best offensive defenseman, he was the best defensive defenseman, he could fight really well, he was tough, he was fast, etc.
Yeah, I'm sure the romantic view of Orr is completely correct. Him being the best at everything is highly likely, especially with the style he played...

chcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:13 PM
  #24
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TradeBait View Post
There's no arguing that Orr was the best D-man to ever lace 'em up, but that was because of the way he redefined the offensive role of the position. If we were to only look at the defensive aspect of the position the title of "best all-time" is debateable, who do you think the best defence-man of all time is?

Homer vote for Nick Lidstrom, IMO the smartest player in NHL history, he just didn't make mistakes. If there's was offensive break coming from the opposition and my team only had one player back, it's a no brainer to me I'd want it to be Nick.
Orr was known for being great in his own zone as well. Looking at his stats many people assume he was an offensive defenseman-that's not true. He was very very well rounded.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:14 PM
  #25
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,250
vCash: 500
It's still Orr for me. GOAT.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.