HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

London and Who Will Be In The Memorial Cup?

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2005, 02:32 PM
tuckerdomi

vCash: 500
London and Who Will Be In The Memorial Cup?

I think Peterborough has a great shot, good vet team, many players on the petes drafted, Go Petes

Old
01-14-2005, 03:34 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdomi
I think Peterborough has a great shot, good vet team, many players on the petes drafted, Go Petes
It's funny how people are already automatically giving London the West. And to their credit, it is not Knights fans for the most part. London fans are taking heat for it when really it is fans of other teams the majority of the time.

I agree with you on the Petes, their offence is great and Raftis will be a great addition for them. Goaltending could be a weak link. Missassauga is also looking strong.

Old
01-14-2005, 03:37 PM
trahans99

From the east i'd say Missasauga, Brampton or Peterborough.

IMO these teams won't give Owen Sound or London a battle or even Kitchener if they somehow make it that far.

Old
01-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Douggy

It depends if the Knights win the East or not. They may not.

If they do, Mississagua or Peterborough are likely cadidates.

If they don't, Owen Sound, Kitchener, Mississagua or Peterborough will go.

Old
01-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Lessy

In the past, teams with an automatic bye have really slacked in the playoffs. I'm not suggesting that Dale Hunter's team will do that because they are extremely dominant compared to the rest of their competition. At the same time, I can definitely see a team like Owen Sound or Kitchener or even a team with a hot goalie be able to take them out before they win their conference and give an automatic birth in the Memorial Cup to a team from the East. The East is very bottled up right now, Shantz can't find his game for Missy, and outside of that there's no extremely powerful teams.

Old
01-14-2005, 05:04 PM
London Knights

I don't think the Knights want to slack into the playoffs, because it is quite clear that Dale will bench you if you don't play hard. With two proven goaltenders, if one slumps off, they will find themselves on the bench.

Schremp won't want to repeat what happened to him last year, and I can't imagine any of the other Knights wanting to back their way into the Memorial Cup because they came so close to winning the OHL title last year (again no real offense to Mississauga, but the East just isn't nearly as strong as the West right now).

It still won't be easy and upsets are quite capable. Owen Sound has a great team, and the Rangers really have a nice team that has come together well. Both teams will have to rely on stellar goaltending to win, but that is always a possibility in the OHL.

From the West, I really like Brampton to come out of the West after a hard fought 7 game series against Mississauga.

Old
01-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Egghammer

The Knights have to play to win it all. The OHL winner has a better schedule in the Memorial Cup than the Host team.

The Knights would also benefit by doing their best to win it or at least make the OHL final, thus eliminating a team like Owen Sound or Guelph, etc.

Old
01-15-2005, 10:48 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghammer
The Knights would also benefit by doing their best to win it or at least make the OHL final, thus eliminating a team like Owen Sound or Guelph, etc.
Good point..... the Knights have a better chance (however, there are no gimmes at that point in the season) against one of the eastern teams in the Memorial Cup.

Old
01-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Dion Mustard*

Quote:
The OHL winner has a better schedule in the Memorial Cup than the Host team.
?????

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless the host team has to play in the semis and the finals, it will be the only time they play back to back games. And on top of that, even though they didn't win anything to get there, they will have just as many "home" games as the WHL Champs do.

Call me crazy, but that sounds like a pretty good situation for the team that isn't a league champion,

Old
01-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Egghammer

Just looked at the schedule again, and there isn't that much difference. Potentially the Host team or the OHL Winner could play 4 games in 4 days.

Here's the schedule

MEMORIAL CUP GAMES

May 21: QMJHL champion vs. Host team, 7 p.m.

May 22: WHL champion vs. OHL champion, 4 p.m.

May 23: Host team vs. WHL champion, 8 p.m.

May 24: OHL champion vs. QMJHL champion, 8 p.m.

May 25: WHL champion vs. QMJHL champion, 8 p.m.

May 26: Host team vs. OHL champion, 8 p.m.

May 27: Tie-breaker, if necessary, 3 p.m.

May 28: Semifinal, 4 p.m.

May 29: Final, 4 p.m.

Old
01-16-2005, 09:26 PM
trahans99

Quote:
Just looked at the schedule again, and there isn't that much difference. Potentially the Host team or the OHL Winner could play 4 games in 4 days.

Here's the schedule

MEMORIAL CUP GAMES

May 21: QMJHL champion vs. Host team, 7 p.m.

May 22: WHL champion vs. OHL champion, 4 p.m.

May 23: Host team vs. WHL champion, 8 p.m.

May 24: OHL champion vs. QMJHL champion, 8 p.m.

May 25: WHL champion vs. QMJHL champion, 8 p.m.

May 26: Host team vs. OHL champion, 8 p.m.

May 27: Tie-breaker, if necessary, 3 p.m.

May 28: Semifinal, 4 p.m.

May 29: Final, 4 p.m.

If the WHL is much stronger than the Q like everyone thinks it would be better for the Knights to be the HOST team as they would get to play the Q winner first and should win that and then the big test against the W... and finally with the Ohl champoins who the knights have all beaten many times.

I'd rather see them enter as the OHL champion though so they can keep some momentum.

Old
01-16-2005, 10:36 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahans99
and finally with the Ohl champoins who the knights have all beaten many times.
I hate to point out the obvious, but think about this statement.... if London is the host team, then they haven't beat the OHL Champions many times, have they?

Old
01-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Fedz

Seattle Thunderbirds from the WHL. They are just so damn good defensively.

Old
01-17-2005, 07:45 AM
trahans99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
I hate to point out the obvious, but think about this statement.... if London is the host team, then they haven't beat the OHL Champions many times, have they?
I'm talking about during the regular season. They've beat all the best teams already except they haven't played Peterborough I don't think. They've beat OS a few times, lost once without there best players. They have beaten Kitcherner 6 times (all close games).

Old
01-17-2005, 07:46 AM
trahans99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz
Seattle Thunderbirds from the WHL. They are just so damn good defensively.

Talk about defence, the Knights have given up 82 goals in 42 games (1.95 GAA) in the OHL which has higher scoring then the WHL and not as many trap playing teams.

Old
01-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Lessy

IMO the WHL has better players than any other junior league in Canada however, they are pretty evenly spread out among the teams, whereas the London Knights own a lot of superstars and are an extremely stacked team by OHL standards. I think the Medicine Hat Tigers are definitely one of the strongest teams in the Western League.

Old
01-18-2005, 10:07 AM
balddog66

Sour grapes from London again, they always forget the Owen Sound beat them 3-0 with their best defenseman and one of their best fowards in the junior tourny...plus they've changed their team with the addition of a new #1 goalie and some tough defenseman...come playoff time, things will be quite interesting...maybe with London hosting and getting the automatic birth (which I still think is a ridiculous system) they won't have the desire to win the OHL championship...

Old
01-18-2005, 10:18 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by balddog66
Sour grapes from London again, they always forget the Owen Sound beat them 3-0 with their best defenseman and one of their best fowards in the junior tourny...plus they've changed their team with the addition of a new #1 goalie and some tough defenseman...come playoff time, things will be quite interesting...maybe with London hosting and getting the automatic birth (which I still think is a ridiculous system) they won't have the desire to win the OHL championship...
Funny how you mention the fact that Owen Sound was missing their best d-man and one of their best forwards but failed to mention that London was missing the league's leading scorer in Corey Perry, the leagues best d-man in Danny Syvret and at the time the leagues leading goal scorer in Robbie Schremp. Plus Owen Sound already made their trades before that game while London only aquired Frischie and Dennis at the trade deadline.

Fact of the matter is London has not lost a game with thier full line up.

Old
01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
trahans99

Quote:
Originally Posted by balddog66

Do you know who is coaching this team? Would you question the heart and desire of a team that consists of Brandon Prust, Trevor Kell, David Bolland and of course coached by one of the most competitive people in the business (Mark and Dale Hunter).

They have said ever since they were announced as host they want to enter the tourney through the front door.

Old
01-18-2005, 03:21 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF

Fact of the matter is London has not lost a game with thier full line up.

The Streak Lives!

Old
01-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Dion Mustard*

Quote:
Do you know who is coaching this team? Would you question the heart and desire of a team that consists of Brandon Prust, Trevor Kell, David Bolland and of course coached by one of the most competitive people in the business (Mark and Dale Hunter).
I think that is the point. Take the blinders off. The Hunters are idiots. They were idiots (Dumbo Dale especially) during their playing days, and they are idiots now.

Quote:
They have said ever since they were announced as host they want to enter the tourney through the front door.
Every single host team say's that!!!!! It's just the first time a team has been able to host the tourney before they actually won a league Championship.

Old
01-23-2005, 05:50 PM
trahans99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Mustard
I think that is the point. Take the blinders off. The Hunters are idiots. They were idiots (Dumbo Dale especially) during their playing days, and they are idiots now.
Quote:

Every single host team say's that!!!!! It's just the first time a team has been able to host the tourney before they actually won a league Championship.

Oh yeah, big time idiots that played in the NHL for 19 years What have you done thats so great that gives you the right to call them idiots?

Oh yeah, what about last year? I'm pretty sure Kelowna didn't win the WHL.
Once again showing how dumb you really are.

Old
01-23-2005, 07:01 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:

I think you miss his point.

Old
01-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Dion Mustard*

Quote:

Oh yeah, big time idiots that played in the NHL for 19 years What have you done thats so great that gives you the right to call them idiots?

Oh my. You can't see it, but I'm grinin' like a MoFo right now.

First, how does one's IQ or personal intelligence have to do with their athletic ability? Take a look at the NBA if you think playing pro sports has any relation to common sense. I don't care how long they played in the NHL, they (Dale more then Mark) are idiots, and disgraces.

Second, the 2004 Memorial Cup Champion Kelonwa Rockets did not win the 2004 WHL Championship. They did however, win the 2003 WHL Championship. See, they won a Championship before being named host city.

Yep, and I am the "dumb" one. Tell you what, learn a little history about the CHL before you insult others. Actually, learn a bit about the sport before you embarrass yourself again.

Old
01-24-2005, 07:18 PM
trahans99

Quote:
Oh my. You can't see it, but I'm grinin' like a MoFo right now.

First, how does one's IQ or personal intelligence have to do with their athletic ability? Take a look at the NBA if you think playing pro sports has any relation to common sense. I don't care how long they played in the NHL, they (Dale more then Mark) are idiots, and disgraces.

Second, the 2004 Memorial Cup Champion Kelonwa Rockets did not win the 2004 WHL Championship. They did however, win the 2003 WHL Championship. See, they won a Championship before being named host city.

Yep, and I am the "dumb" one. Tell you what, learn a little history about the CHL before you insult others. Actually, learn a bit about the sport before you embarrass yourself again.

Closed Thread