HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Butterfly Help

Old
07-29-2012, 11:02 AM
PantherStriker

vCash: 50
Butterfly Help

Hey everyone,

I play net in an intramural league, so the skill level isnt extraordinary to begin with. However, every time I go to the butterfly, I end up falling onto my pads, knees showing. It's like my pads arent facing properly. Anyone have any advice on how I can change this?

Sorry its kind of vague, I dont know the terminology to describe it.

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Skating and Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherStriker View Post
Hey everyone,

I play net in an intramural league, so the skill level isnt extraordinary to begin with. However, every time I go to the butterfly, I end up falling onto my pads, knees showing. It's like my pads arent facing properly. Anyone have any advice on how I can change this?

Sounds like you have skating and balance issues.

A goalie should be one of the better skaters on a team. If you are using the butterfly your skating has to be solid and your legs have to be in shape to support the up and down movement.

Have someone watch you when you play and use the butterfly. Your skates should not leave the ice as you go down. This allows you to change direction quickly and spring back-up. If you are plopping down - skates leave the ice, then you are not able to change direction quickly. Balance, same person should be able to notice if you are tilting to one side, too far forward or resting on your haunches. Fatigue will cause goalies to sit back on their haunches.

Once you have been observed you will have your answer.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:14 PM
PantherStriker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Sounds like you have skating and balance issues.

A goalie should be one of the better skaters on a team. If you are using the butterfly your skating has to be solid and your legs have to be in shape to support the up and down movement.

Have someone watch you when you play and use the butterfly. Your skates should not leave the ice as you go down. This allows you to change direction quickly and spring back-up. If you are plopping down - skates leave the ice, then you are not able to change direction quickly. Balance, same person should be able to notice if you are tilting to one side, too far forward or resting on your haunches. Fatigue will cause goalies to sit back on their haunches.

Once you have been observed you will have your answer.
I think it would be balance. Thanks very much!

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Also what type of pads are you using? I know the ones I use will not allow me to go down with my knees exposed unless I do it on purpose. Older pads though you have to put in the effort to make your knees aren't exposed.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:33 AM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherStriker View Post
Hey everyone,

Are you pads facing the ice when you butterfly? I'm new to goalie, but I had a similar problem. I had my pads on too tight so it was hard to get them to face out on the ice. My thighboards were also running up beneath my pants, but I was able to fix that tightening up the loop on the thighboards to my pants.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:27 PM
pfloyd75

It sounds like your pads may be strapped too tight, not allowing them to rotate when dropping into the butterfly. The tighter your straps- especially the upper ones- the more they will conform to the direction that your leg is facing and the less they are allowed to "float". Pad strapping is based on the preferences of the goalie but as an example, I have my bottom boot strap sinched tight but all others very very loose.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Bridges31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
It sounds like your pads may be strapped too tight, not allowing them to rotate when dropping into the butterfly. The tighter your straps- especially the upper ones- the more they will conform to the direction that your leg is facing and the less they are allowed to "float". Pad strapping is based on the preferences of the goalie but as an example, I have my bottom boot strap sinched tight but all others very very loose.
It takes a while to find the perfect fit as far as how tight or loose you want your pads.

When I found the best fit, I marked the holes on the straps with permanent marker.

OP Also make sure your legs are wide enough apart before going into the butterfly (feet in line with your shoulders).

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:50 PM
17of26

Sounds like the pads are strapped too tightly in the knee/thigh area and not allowing them to rotate when you go down.

I find that it works best if I keep the ankle/calf straps tight and the knee/thigh area very loose.

17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:46 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Mainly echo what most people have said already but:

1. Pads are too tight. Loosening the straps allows the pad to rotate properly. This also depends on the pad you wear. Hybrid pads like vaughn are usually worn tighter than a butterfly style pad like Reebok.

2. Toe ties are too tight. Should have at least an inch or so slack in your toe ties. Put knots in em and give your ankle some slack so when you go down in your butterfly your toes are not being pulled off to the side uncomfortably. It will help your pad rotate and your knees/ankles feel much better after the skate.

3. When you go into a butterfly your knees should going down and your ankles out. Make sure you are not dropping straight down onto your knees. You should be landing on the landing gear on the inside of the pad, with the inside of your knee, not the kneecap.

Hope those help, if needed throw some pictures up.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:49 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Can you tell us what pads you are using? That might also aid in answering your question.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Subnordi

Like others have mentioned it's most likely your straps being too tight, I have my boot straps and the strap at the bottom of my bad fairly snug, then the rest are all pretty loose and may as well not be there, I find this really aids in the rotation of the pads.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote