Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2012, 10:54 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post

That is why we should never trade Powe I actually do really love his game though. The perfect 4th liner. Great on the PK, can take FO's, hits, is gritty, and clearly willing to stand up for teammates. This year he will only be playing on the 4th line ( knock on wood) and that will make him look a lot better.
I really like Powe. Do people around here not like him?

I think if it came down to it, I'd rather lose some toughness and ship out Konopka/Kassian before Powe who has a more versatile game.

But I agree, unless we're plagued by injuries, he's the perfect 4th liner. Used in a different role, yeah, he looked rough last year in that scenario. But that's not really his fault.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:57 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post

I think if it came down to it, I'd rather lose some toughness and ship out Konopka/Kassian before Powe who has a more versatile game.

But I agree, unless we're plagued by injuries, he's the perfect 4th liner. Used in a different role, yeah, he looked rough last year in that scenario. But that's not really his fault.
I'd say the average person tends to be a "top-6, big personality, or you suck" type fan. Powe doesn't fit any of those categories. He's a quality 4th liner, but too many people are desperate for everyone to be a high-scoring star.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I think you are seriously underestimating Kenopka's faceoff prowess if you take Powe over him.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I think you are seriously underestimating Kenopka's faceoff prowess if you take Powe over him.
Konopka has certainly been great at faceoffs, but the league changed a faceoff rule that will work against him. Hopefully that doesn't affect him this coming season.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post

I would reather keep Konopka/Kassian and get rid of Powe. It doesn't hurt to have some goonish players on your roster. Especially with all of the youngsters coming up in the next few seasons an Shanascam still in charge of suspensions.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Oh, don't get me wrong, I like Powe and think he is a great 4th liner but I just think he's about the only NHL level forward we'd consider trading right now. I'd rather see Mitchell gone but we just signed him so that wouldn't be right. Doubt we trade Clutter or Cullen just yet, though depending where we're at near the trade deadline, we'd probably consider it.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:15 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I would reather keep Konopka/Kassian and get rid of Powe. It doesn't hurt to have some goonish players on your roster. Especially with all of the youngsters coming up in the next few seasons an Shanascam still in charge of suspensions.
Kassian isn't an every game skater on a decent team. He's a situational player, and is more of a 13th forward than anything else. At worst I think we'd see (when healthy, and when does that happen?) Kassian/Powe as the 12th forward.

Old
08-13-2012, 05:12 PM
El Nino22

I could also see them giving Clutterbuck a rest every now and then as well. I know the NHL is a short season and with a potential lock out it could be even shorter. but it always seems that Clutter sort of runs out of gas after the All-star break. With all the depth we have this year giving him a rest once in a while might not be the worst idea.

Old
08-13-2012, 05:36 PM
nickschultzfan

The "problem" with Powe and Clutterbuck is that they are constantly slotted into high postions that what they should be.

Old
08-13-2012, 06:40 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
But with the direction the league is heading, wouldn't it make more sense to cast out the goon that the league is trying to effectively phase out?

Once again, I'm not saying immediately trade Konopka and Kassian. Lets see how training camp pans out and who doesn't go down with an injury. But there is no use having both of them over Powe, if we're forced to trade someone to make a roster spot for Zucker, Bulmer, etc...

I was really happy with the Konopka signing (keep in mind this is before we landed Parise to complicate things more - in a good way, mind you). But now I am less excited after I read how, Konopka will likely be effected by the face off rule change. But that still remains to be seen.

But I think he has more value to the team than Staubitz ever did. Ha ha.

Old
08-13-2012, 06:56 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
The "problem" with Powe and Clutterbuck is that they are constantly slotted into high postions that what they should be.
summed up nicely. that was the "problem" with most of our players.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Dr Jan Itor

A thought, relating to our center depth and a (potential) need for another top 4 defensemen. Was reading a different thread in which the Blackhawks were looking for another center, so...

To Chicago
Matt Cullen
Zack Phillips

To Minnesota
Hjalmarsson
2013 2nd round pick

Gives Chicago a 2nd line center now, and a project center for the future.

Gives Minnesota a top 4 defenseman and a D partner for Brodin.

Money is pretty much the same.

Probably not enough value going Chicago's way with the inclusion of the 2nd rounder coming back, but the though is that it would allow Fletcher and Flahr to somewhat "replace" Phillips, should they choose. Maybe add Falk if they want another depth D.

People may not be keen on giving up on Phillips, but I really don't see an NHL spot for him on our team. Maybe that's just me.

Going forward, that would give us...

Parise - Koivu - Coyle/Heatley
Heatley/Zucker - Granlund - Setoguchi
Heatley/Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck

Suter - Gilbert
Hjalmarsson - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon

... with guys like Larsson, Bulmer, Dumba and 2013's 1st rounder to be added.

Agree or disagree?

Old
12-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I'd go for that move. Cullen is on borrowed time. I've said Phillips is the most expendable prospect we have. As much as I've grown to like him, he still has severe problems skating. Immense puck handling skills doesn't matter if you have an end to end rush and you still meet 15 defenders and it takes 2 minutes.

Hjalmarsson would be a nice addition. It'd be great if we could add in Falk or Stoner and throw in Prosser just to get rid of him. As much as I don't want to get rid of Phillips, it'd be necessary for the defensive depth.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:34 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Few things regarding that potential trade
- Cullen's trade clause may be a problem. Maybe not with a contender like CHI, but potentially.
- Dislike Hjalmarsson very much. Especially at his cap number.
- Fine with moving Phillips but I'd honestly rather keep Cullen. Not a big Cullen fan but I do think he's a quality player that can play in all situations. I think he's a much better fit, and at wing, and that will show in a more reduced role if they ever play this season.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
12-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

What about a straight up Clutterbuck for Hjalmarsson?

Old
12-05-2012, 04:43 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
What about a straight up Clutterbuck for Hjalmarsson?
Yuck. No way. Did you pay attention to Hjalmarsson last year?

Chicago fans pretty much loathe the guy as well.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I haven't watched Hjalmarsson at all. But Clutter might not be around much longer.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Yuck. No way. Did you pay attention to Hjalmarsson last year?

Chicago fans pretty much loathe the guy as well.
So is he not a top 4 guy anymore? Or might it have just been a bad year.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Not to mention, this guy is putting up OVER a PPG in Italy's top hockey league. I think we'll have to add to Clutterbuck if anything.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:59 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
So is he not a top 4 guy anymore? Or might it have just been a bad year.
I think he's better than Scandella, Falk, Stoner, Prosser, and everyone at the AHL level (minus Brodin), but I wouldn't consider him a top 4 league-wide; if that makes any sense. I think he's a bottom pairing guy being paid like a second pairing guy.

Part of the problem for me may be based on that I do find value in Cullen's game and some just don't. I think he's one of the best PK guys this team has and I believe a 3rd line wing best suits his skill set as he won't be looked upon for sound production. In that role, he should score at a clip that will be very valuable. Given that and the other roles he fills, if this team wants to make the playoffs and make a little bit of noise, he's probably not a guy I'd be looking to move.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I think he's better than Scandella, Falk, Stoner, Prosser, and everyone at the AHL level (minus Brodin), but I wouldn't consider him a top 4 league-wide; if that makes any sense. I think he's a bottom pairing guy being paid like a second pairing guy.

Part of the problem for me may be based on that I do find value in Cullen's game and some just don't. I think he's one of the best PK guys this team has and I believe a 3rd line wing best suits his skill set as he won't be looked upon for sound production. In that role, he should score at a clip that will be very valuable. Given that and the other roles he fills, if this team wants to make the playoffs and make a little bit of noise, he's probably not a guy I'd be looking to move.
For just this year though? The idea is, if Brodin is who we think he is, Hjalmarsson becomes our #4 in a short amount of time. Yes, he'd be overpaid, but our #3 would be underpaid during his tenure.

If Cullen is only here for this year only (not a given, but likely IMO), and we can turn him into a guy who would play in our top 4 for the next 2-4+ years, and be somewhat of a mentor for Brodin (maybe I'm playing that up too much), I don't see Cullen as not expendable. Maybe Hjalmarsson is just the wrong target, I don't know.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Ya, I just don't see that sort of value in Hjalmarsson, I guess. I think Cullen offers the team more in just a single year over Hjalmarsson's two.

And that's ignoring that you'd need Cullen to go along with the move, which I don't think is a given.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
The issue here is that we'd either have Gilbert or Spurgeon in our bottom pairing and neither deserve to be there.

I think Spurgeon has showed that he is a top-4 D-man in NHL already, and he is only going to get better. As for Gilbert, a solid 2nd pairing guy.

That's why I love the idea of having Spurgeon with Suter. It makes perfect sense. Scandella and Gilbert worked last year, it might work this year, too. And bottom pairing, well, we can either trade for someone or simply use Falk and Stoner/Kampfer/Connelly/Prosser there. Not really an issue.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Phillips belongs in Minnesota.

The hockey player too.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Ovechkid08

Yeah Hjalmarsson is a pretty mediocre defenseman, that trade reminds me too much of the Leddy trade to CHI for me to be comfortable with it. The hammer really doesn't add too much to our d corps and that price is pretty high for such a minimal upgrade. Cullen and Phillips give us center depth at both the NHL and AHL level for the next few years and that can only be a good thing after what we saw last year.

Closed Thread