Old
08-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Expert summary of this thread to this point:

Scheifele has a few bad shifts: poor skater, too slow, worried about his development, should have drafted Couturier, told you so.

Scheifele has a few good shifts: tremendous upside, man amongst boys, heart player, excellent awareness, future leader, perfect TNSE player.
this is exactly why i didn`t post till after the game, I definitely caught myself starting to think like this and then had give myself a thorough shake.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:22 PM
None

vCash: 50
Whether Scheifele is eligible to play in the AHL or not this upcoming season could be decided with the CHL-NHL transfer agreement renewal as well. I know that there are GMs that aren't happy with some players not being able to go directly from the draft into the AHL and there could be some middle ground in letting 2/3 year veterans from the CHL play in the AHL. The NHL does have leverage in it but at the same time they don't want to cut ties entirely from the CHL and risk hurting such a good developmental league. The 9/10 games or whatever would fall under the CBA though and not the CHL transfer agreement because it has to do with entry level contracts.

Personally I think it's likely that 3 year veterans of the CHL will be able to go to the AHL when this is done so there will be the odd chance of a player who enters at 15 (Tavares, McDavid and Ekblad) being AHL eligible at 18 and the average player being eligible at 19. This would mean that Scheifele wouldn't be eligible because he entered the OHL at 17.

I might be completely off on this. Either way I doubt an extra year in the OHL would hurt his development.

None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:38 AM
wilty00

Was at the game tonight... Scheifele was beasting in every sense of the word.

Threw some huge hits and was always going out of his way to finish checks, made a couple absolutely insane passes that reminded me of Hodgson circa WJC's a few years back. Nobody in the building could've seen them coming and he put them right on the tape. Obviously he racked up a few points but I was more impressed with his willingness to throw the weight around after the performance he put it in last night. He definitely had some jump to his step and he was chirping Russians left right and center after every whistle and really getting into it which was nice to see.

Outside of Scheif, best player on the ice tonight was Hudon. Just incredible compete level and made things happen every time he was out there. I look forward to watching him develop with the Habs. Monahan had a quieter night but was still effective... Murphy needs to learn to pick his spots. He's obviously an uncanny skater and can move it on his own but he seems to feel the need to do that alot more often than he should. Reilly was my favorite player last night but was definitely alot less noticeable in this one. Subban looked good, definitely alot more comfortable than what we saw last night but then again he wasn't tested much.

As for Yakupov, he really started to turn it on after that 4-2 goal for some reason. Looked like he was off in the doldrums for the first 5 and a half periods of the games here and then out of nowhere he's zipping around throwing 20 foot saucer passes and making people corkscrew themselves into the ice. Would've liked to see more of him in that mode but obviously it's August and I think Russia's coach was more or less protecting him with limited minutes.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Huffer

vCash: 240
Quote:

Scheifele has a few bad shifts: poor skater, too slow, worried about his development, should have drafted Couturier, told you so.

Scheifele has a few good shifts: tremendous upside, man amongst boys, heart player, excellent awareness, future leader, perfect TNSE player.
Not disagreeing totally, but the problem with the above is that it's not most people on this board flipping back and forth between the two, it's the same group of people who like to come out of the woodwork if Scheifele has a bad game, or if Couturier or Hamilton have a good game to continually make point number 1.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:48 AM
GrandChelems

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Not disagreeing totally, but the problem with the above is that it's not most people on this board flipping back and forth between the two, it's the same group of people who like to come out of the woodwork if Scheifele has a bad game, or if Couturier or Hamilton have a good game to continually make point number 1.
I wasn't implying that it was the same people flip/flopping (though it does happen ); it was more just a lighthearted crack at how this thread had evolved.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:00 AM
truck
HFB Partner

I may be alone on this, but I didn't think Scheifele played overwhelmingly better game 4 than he did in games 1 through 3. He definitely got a few more breaks offensively and it was nice to see him stack a few points, but I liked his game through most of the series.

Points aren't everything in a small sample like this. The hitting and defensive play were there in all 4 games and he played solid possession hockey throughout the tourney. In the previous games he was out there for a lot of goals (even if he didn't collect a point on em), he finally got a few bounces and points in this one. Of course the slick move he put on a defender and the assists resonate, but I love the little things that Scheife does like using his positioning to create space for linemates.

The ice almost always seemed slanted while he was out there.

Can't read too much into individual games, good or bad.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
I thought Scheifele had his best game last night. I thought he might have been Canada's best forward. He created so much on the ice and was constantly pushing the play.

I also liked how physical he was. He threw some punishing hits out there and that surprised me.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Scheifele post-game interview...

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-ho...268#clip740268

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:16 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
This kid may be a star one day. So darn likable.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Huffer

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I may be alone on this, but I didn't think Scheifele played overwhelmingly better game 4 than he did in games 1 through 3. He definitely got a few more breaks offensively and it was nice to see him stack a few points, but I liked his game through most of the series.

Points aren't everything in a small sample like this. The hitting and defensive play were there in all 4 games and he played solid possession hockey throughout the tourney. In the previous games he was out there for a lot of goals (even if he didn't collect a point on em), he finally got a few bounces and points in this one. Of course the slick move he put on a defender and the assists resonate, but I love the little things that Scheife does like using his positioning to create space for linemates.

I agree with you (although I think Scheifele brought a little more to the table in game 4).

Scheifele looked like the best defensive forward, and if not the best defensive forward was the best defensive centre. He was routinely back helping the defense break up rushes and was below the hash marks starting Canadian breakouts more than any other centre.

He was also physical this series, and continued that in game 4. He also was chirping the Russians continually, whether it was at a faceoff, or with the goalie after a scrum.

The last part about his physicality and the edge he was bringing leads me to believe that not only was he asked by the coaching staff to bring that to the game, but that he wants to bring that to the game as well as part of his desire to be "the guy". That looked to me like a kid who really wants to take another step to not only being a better player, but wants to be looked at as a leader.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post

I agree, truck.

He might have been a bit more physical the last game and kept his feet a bit more, but in all games he controlled the puck and made some plays. I would have liked him to be a bit more goal hungry but its August.

His two-way game is a real strength. The lack of chemistry with huberdeau may have hurt his point totals in this short series. I think if he played with monahan and rattie for an extended period, his points would come. Not very impressed with huberdeau for much of this series, and I was a huberdeau supporter.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Bob E

http://thehockeywriters.com/final-im...sia-challenge/

Interesting article. Ranked the players performance and had scheifele #5.

#1. Monahan
#2. Hudon
#3. Murphy
#4. Rielly
#5. Scheifele

Pretty accurate, imo. Though I thought Scheifele played well and had a larger impact than Rielly and could have been ranked #4, but that's really not important. All in all, a nice showing by Scheifele. Work still to do, but progressing nicely.

Curious to see how the draft rankings go this year. MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, Barkov and Shinkaruk seem to be the favorite top 5. Interested to see how things evolve as the season goes on.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote