HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why aren't the Caps using their salary caps space?

View Poll Results: Why aren't the Caps spending up to the Salary Cap
Ted is getting cheap or there just isn't enough cash 4 5.56%
GMGM and Ted are too conservative to go out on a limb because of the expiring CBA 15 20.83%
Combination of Items #1 and #2 - The CBA expiring is an excuse to not have to spend 21 29.17%
They would spend to the cap, but they didn't like the options this offseason 28 38.89%
The season is months away - they have something big planned 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 08:03 AM
discobob

vCash: 500
Why aren't the Caps using their salary caps space?

I've only been a hockey / caps fan for the past 6-7 years, but ever since I have paid any attention to salary cap space, they have always spent to the cap. This year, it doesn't seem like that is going to happen, so my question to caps fans it WHY?

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:05 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Either Ted is being cheap or they expect the cap to go down under the new CBA and don't want to rely on any potential out methods that would accompany it (if there's no a rollback, they may not want to do a buyout, etc.)

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Uncle Ted

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:27 AM
txpd

i dont think the entire scenario has played out enough to know for sure why the capitals are remaining below the cap by as far as they are. there could be several reasons.

* john carlson is not signed as an rfa and there are at least a few that have speculated that the flyers after not getting weber are going to make a run at carlson. that would be a reason to keep your powder dry.

* ted is on the owner's committee for cba negotiations. i'd imagine that he has some working knowledge as to what the league will accept for a cba and a $70m and growing salary cap is probably not one of them.

* the capitals were not interested in a $70+ million dollar payroll before the lockout and i just dont see leonsis feeling like his market can support that kind of expense.

thats just a start. there are other possibilities, but i would start with those.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Stimpy

There is also the fact that there isn't anybody left in the market worth spending the money on to get to the max.

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:37 AM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

* john carlson is not signed as an rfa and there are at least a few that have speculated that the flyers after not getting weber are going to make a run at carlson. that would be a reason to keep your powder dry.
I hadn't heard that speculation, but that could get really interesting. Has anyone speculated about the size of the offer?

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:00 AM
txpd

no...just that carlson is a top end rfa defenseman and local to the philly metro. the two main differences between weber and carlson is that weber is a norris level fully developed player rfa to a team that might not be able to afford to match and carlson considered a soon to be norris level defenseman on a team that can afford to match anything.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:12 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I think Holmgren came out and explicitly stated he wasn't going after any other RFAs, but even if so you take that for what it's worth.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:23 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I voted the CBA option.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:23 AM
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S

vCash: 250
I understand the issue and agree with them to an extent. It is just frustrating seeing all of these teams making splashes and getting better while I am trying to figure out where the scoring will come from.

Yes we did get a true 2C, but who is he going to be dishing it to?

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Duke33

None of the above, although this could be considered the "cheap" response. They (Ted & McPhee) think (delusionally) that they have a good enough team to win, or at the very least a team that can scrape a long and compete and get them a playoff series or two. And that's all they need to keep some money coming in.

In no way shape or form is this a contending team right now. I can't remember being this uninterested about the start of a season, ever.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
* ted is on the owner's committee for cba negotiations. i'd imagine that he has some working knowledge as to what the league will accept for a cba and a $70m and growing salary cap is probably not one of them.
Snider (Philly) is also on the committee, and it didn't stop him from offering Weber a bazillion dollars.

I don't think the Flyers would offer Carlson anything the Caps couldn't match.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:45 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
This is my vote.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Snider (Philly) is also on the committee, and it didn't stop him from offering Weber a bazillion dollars.

I don't think the Flyers would offer Carlson anything the Caps couldn't match.
Isn't the Wild owner also on that committee? The one who just committed almost $200m to two players.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Isn't the Wild owner also on that committee? The one who just committed almost $200m to two players.
Yup. And very nice avatar.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:26 AM
saskganesh

Besides the CBA negotiations, leaving some cap space open before the season allows for greater roster flexibility once the season starts. You can add pieces via trades or pickups and not have to worry about trading cap space in return.

saskganesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
no...just that carlson is a top end rfa defenseman and local to the philly metro. the two main differences between weber and carlson is that weber is a norris level fully developed player rfa to a team that might not be able to afford to match and carlson considered a soon to be norris level defenseman on a team that can afford to match anything.
John Carlson is not from the Philadelphia metro area. He grew up in Colonia, New Jersey, just west of Staten Island (aka, the New York metro area). He was a Devils fan growing up.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
Besides the CBA negotiations, leaving some cap space open before the season allows for greater roster flexibility once the season starts. You can add pieces via trades or pickups and not have to worry about trading cap space in return.
There's a difference between "some cap space" and $10M+ in cap space. You think the Capitals are planning on adding 2/3 of a roster at the deadline?

FWIW, the Caps did enter 2010-2011 with around $5M in cap space, didn't they?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:32 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
F. Other

They learned their lesson.

They spent to the gills a summer ago, constructed their playoff roster 9 months early. Yet ended up playing a style that was more fitting for a lower salaried more blue collar let's call it, team.

They may want more flexibility this year, and/or plan to play blue collar hockey. Why overspend? Losing Semin may not be all kicks and giggles.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Roughing

I don't think they see the right player to spend it on. I hope Carlson gets signed for a long time and I hope we add a vet between now and the TDL.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:41 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

There wasn't much they could have spent it on up front (if they were serious about Parenteau that would have eaten up a good chunk of it, and combined with what Carlson could get they'd be around where you might hope they would even with a 70 mil cap), but there was enough out there on D that they could have made use of it if they wanted to. It just would have required a willingness to move other pieces around.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Devil Dancer

@ Capitlols

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
Cap hits in the NHL are prorated, meaning their savings add up. Because the trade deadline is about 3/4 of the way through the season, a team's effective salary cap space has quadrupled by the TDL. In the Caps' case, this means that if they took this roster all the way to the trade deadline, they could add about 40M dollars worth of contracts, way more than they could possibly use. Basically, the Caps could go into the season with 3-4M in cap space and still have plenty of room for deadline acquisitions. So saving up cap space for the deadline isn't a valid excuse.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:38 AM
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Cap hits in the NHL are prorated, meaning their savings add up. Because the trade deadline is about 3/4 of the way through the season, a team's effective salary cap space has quadrupled by the TDL. In the Caps' case, this means that if they took this roster all the way to the trade deadline, they could add about 40M dollars worth of contracts, way more than they could possibly use. Basically, the Caps could go into the season with 3-4M in cap space and still have plenty of room for deadline acquisitions. So saving up cap space for the deadline isn't a valid excuse.
Well yea that would be the case if you need just one more piece to make your team a contender and offer a player a contract for the remainder of the year. I am tired of those type of deals without having more of a foundation and solid role players.

We are not in a position to wait until such a deal around the TD, but the other point that we need an identity first holds true. What this team is, is anybodies guess, and who knows who we need to build them to a legit contender at this point. Makes me sad.

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote