HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why aren't the Caps using their salary caps space?

View Poll Results: Why aren't the Caps spending up to the Salary Cap
Ted is getting cheap or there just isn't enough cash 4 5.56%
GMGM and Ted are too conservative to go out on a limb because of the expiring CBA 15 20.83%
Combination of Items #1 and #2 - The CBA expiring is an excuse to not have to spend 21 29.17%
They would spend to the cap, but they didn't like the options this offseason 28 38.89%
The season is months away - they have something big planned 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Carlzner

vCash: 500
They don't care about a Cup.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I went with option #3, but it may be a bit of option #4 and a wariness of repeating last year's lack of cap space to make trades during the season too. I don't know.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Burgh32

I'm going with the fact that they want wiggle room to be buyers at the deadline WHEN the cap comes down in the new CBA. Having zero cap space at the trade deadline is not a good place to be. The Caps know that first hand having been on both sides of that coin.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
They don't care about a Cup.
thats right. ted doesnt care about all the extra revenue from those extra home games. he's got vacations scheduled already anyway.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:30 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

These terms spring to mind:

Opportunity cost

Illiquidity

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:38 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting up the play View Post
I've only been a hockey / caps fan for the past 6-7 years, but ever since I have paid any attention to salary cap space, they have always spent to the cap. This year, it doesn't seem like that is going to happen, so my question to caps fans it WHY?
Honest answer: the team is nowhere near winning a Cup. Dale convinced George & Ted that they were doing things exactly backwards, and nearly succeeded with a 180 inversion.

But Dale wasn't gonna come back... so they were forced to hope that Adam had some of that same magic.

George is now in the process of building in the mold that Dale taught. It's going to take some time.

We're in for another 5 year plan, but this time, they don't dare tell us.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

troll thread.

its because players like 36 year old shane doan want 7.5x4. Just because you have money doesnt mean you have to waste it.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:54 PM
um

who is talking about doan?

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:00 AM
CapsCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
George is now in the process of building in the mold that Dale taught. It's going to take some time.

We're in for another 5 year plan, but this time, they don't dare tell us.
I agree, it's looking like another rebuild, angry fans should shoot McPhee out of a trebuchet.

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:30 AM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* ted is on the owner's committee for cba negotiations. i'd imagine that he has some working knowledge as to what the league will accept for a cba and a $70m and growing salary cap is probably not one of them.
This the above turned out to be true, and Ted suspected that they were going to freeze the cap at the current number for a few years until the revenue / cap ratio was reduced to a certain number, then holding still this year may make sense. It would allow them to make some moves in FA over the next few years while the teams up against the cap would be restricted. If they are going to roll back salaries somehow, affecting each team equally, I can't see where holding still right now would be to the teams advantage...?

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:32 AM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
troll thread.

its because players like 36 year old shane doan want 7.5x4. Just because you have money doesnt mean you have to waste it.
Caps have been using all their cap space for the last 5 years, and now suddenly they aren't. It's completely legit to speculate why....

Old
08-01-2012, 08:40 AM
drmagg

#3 and #4

drmagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:46 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
This the above turned out to be true, and Ted suspected that they were going to freeze the cap at the current number for a few years until the revenue / cap ratio was reduced to a certain number, then holding still this year may make sense. It would allow them to make some moves in FA over the next few years while the teams up against the cap would be restricted. If they are going to roll back salaries somehow, affecting each team equally, I can't see where holding still right now would be to the teams advantage...?
Sounds like Fehr *might* put up a serious fight against rollbacks. If Ted knows this, it wouldn't surprise me if he set a stricter budget because of it. There are other ways to get under if/when the cap goes down, such as amnesty buyouts, but those ways aren't as painless. It all comes down to how much dead cash Ted is willing to eat and how much maneuvering GMGM is willing to do with the parts he already has.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

I noticed recently that there's only one team that's actually put themselves in a position to be screwed if the cap comes down. Minnesota really threw caution to the wind when they signed Parise and Suter. Other than them, though, everyone with less than 5M in cap space has an "escape route."

Boston will have Savard on LTIR, and Thomas's contract can be amnestied or if necessary traded to a team that needs to reach the floor. That adds 9M in cap space.

The Canucks can trade Luongo to add 5.3M in cap space.

The Flames can trade JayBo to save 6.8M in cap space.

The Flyers will have Pronger on LTIR, which'll save 5M in cap space.

When you factor in the number of big spending teams with significant cap room - Leafs, Pens, Caps, Sabres, Wings, Hawks - and the long list of teams sitting well below the cap floor, I think it's pretty clear the cap is going to come down significantly.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:59 PM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
I noticed recently that there's only one team that's actually put themselves in a position to be screwed if the cap comes down. Minnesota really threw caution to the wind when they signed Parise and Suter. Other than them, though, everyone with less than 5M in cap space has an "escape route."

Boston will have Savard on LTIR, and Thomas's contract can be amnestied or if necessary traded to a team that needs to reach the floor. That adds 9M in cap space.

The Canucks can trade Luongo to add 5.3M in cap space.

The Flames can trade JayBo to save 6.8M in cap space.

The Flyers will have Pronger on LTIR, which'll save 5M in cap space.

When you factor in the number of big spending teams with significant cap room - Leafs, Pens, Caps, Sabres, Wings, Hawks - and the long list of teams sitting well below the cap floor, I think it's pretty clear the cap is going to come down significantly.
If that is the case, how do you think they will address the situation in Minnesota? I would imagine that it has to be in a manner that does not give them a competitive advantage for signing those two contracts right before the CBA...

Old
08-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
If that is the case, how do you think they will address the situation in Minnesota? I would imagine that it has to be in a manner that does not give them a competitive advantage for signing those two contracts right before the CBA...
If the cap comes down, I think they'll be forced to trade Heatley or Backstrom.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:31 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Sounds like Fehr *might* put up a serious fight against rollbacks. If Ted knows this, it wouldn't surprise me if he set a stricter budget because of it. There are other ways to get under if/when the cap goes down, such as amnesty buyouts, but those ways aren't as painless. It all comes down to how much dead cash Ted is willing to eat and how much maneuvering GMGM is willing to do with the parts he already has.
I'd wager that the owners will not budge from the 57% rule, so team salaries that exceed this result in an overall tax from the players that is then given back to the owners.

Given this, there's not much reason for a profitable franchise not to play it close to the limit as to the cap, most likely the reason that nearly half the league operates with little wiggle room: less than 10 million from the cap, with most of that near half within just a few million of the cap.

So maybe, Ted isn't quite as profitable as some think. The drain the Wizards create may soak up the profits the Capital make?

Last edited by BTCG: 08-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.
BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:16 PM
txpd

i dont think the capitals have ever been profitable. last time ted commented about the team's balance sheet they remained in the red. less so than in the past. a manageable amount. but never profitable.

i could be wrong, but my i thought i remember reading that the caps ticker prices remain below the halfway mark and the local media money is near the bottom still.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Leonsis won't be eating any BIG contracts with an amnesty buyout. Just not happening.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i dont think the capitals have ever been profitable. last time ted commented about the team's balance sheet they remained in the red. less so than in the past. a manageable amount. but never profitable.

i could be wrong, but my i thought i remember reading that the caps ticker prices remain below the halfway mark and the local media money is near the bottom still.
4 years ago that was correct....

Old
08-02-2012, 02:52 PM
MiKE5889

I think this in part has to be blamed on our RFA situation over the next two seasons, as well as the question marks regarding the new CBA.

We have got tons of players who will reach RFA status in 2013.

GMGM might have been concerned that making a splash in free agency or via the trade market now, could have resulted in us, not being able to afford to resign most of our coming RFA's, IF the new CBA resulted in the cap limit going down.

MiKE5889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKE5889 View Post
I think this in part has to be blamed on our RFA situation over the next two seasons, as well as the question marks regarding the new CBA.

We have got tons of players who will reach RFA status in 2013.

GMGM might have been concerned that making a splash in free agency or via the trade market now, could have resulted in us, not being able to afford to resign most of our coming RFA's, IF the new CBA resulted in the cap limit going down.
Other teams are finding a way to make it happen. The RFA angle is possible, but then you have to look at McPhee as he's supposed to be handling these. If he's not and that's hindering the franchise, it's a huge issue.

Old
08-02-2012, 04:59 PM
PookDo

I'm still confused about why Wideman wasnt resigned. I cringe at how good Say the Canes got in the off season only to watch the Caps do almost nothing

PookDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
I'm still confused about why Wideman wasnt resigned. I cringe at how good Say the Canes got in the off season only to watch the Caps do almost nothing
I cringe at the thought of Wideman being re-signed.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:26 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
You cannot be serious.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote