HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Why aren't the Caps using their salary caps space?

View Poll Results: Why aren't the Caps spending up to the Salary Cap
Ted is getting cheap or there just isn't enough cash 4 5.56%
GMGM and Ted are too conservative to go out on a limb because of the expiring CBA 15 20.83%
Combination of Items #1 and #2 - The CBA expiring is an excuse to not have to spend 21 29.17%
They would spend to the cap, but they didn't like the options this offseason 28 38.89%
The season is months away - they have something big planned 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-02-2012, 04:43 PM
  #51
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
I'm still confused about why Wideman wasnt resigned. I cringe at how good Say the Canes got in the off season only to watch the Caps do almost nothing

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:10 PM
  #52
PookDo
Registered User
 
PookDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
You cannot be serious.
maybe a little

PookDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
  #53
PookDo
Registered User
 
PookDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Nothing against the guy but I don't think adding Mike Ribeiro will make things that much better. The Caps defense and goaltending is still questionable

PookDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:39 PM
  #54
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,611
vCash: 500
Our defense is better without Wideman.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:56 PM
  #55
PookDo
Registered User
 
PookDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Our defense is better without Wideman.
I guess I'm just frustrated watching a team I love not get deep into the playoffs. That and it's August and hockey season seems like so very far away if there is one

PookDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:21 PM
  #56
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Our defense is better without Wideman.
That really depends on which Wideman you are talking about. Sure we are all a bunch of 'what have you done for me latelys' but the Caps don't come close to even making the playoffs without Wideman's play in the first half of the season.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:42 PM
  #57
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
That really depends on which Wideman you are talking about. Sure we are all a bunch of 'what have you done for me latelys' but the Caps don't come close to even making the playoffs without Wideman's play in the first half of the season.
And they make it to the 3rd round without him.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:50 PM
  #58
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
And they make it to the 3rd round without him.
Interesting dichotomy then I guess but I'd rather make the playoffs with a guy who then contributes greatly to them not making it out of the 2nd round then not make the playoffs at all to begin with without him. But to each his own...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
  #59
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
That really depends on which Wideman you are talking about. Sure we are all a bunch of 'what have you done for me latelys' but the Caps don't come close to even making the playoffs without Wideman's play in the first half of the season.
Thank goodness he saved McPhee's job!

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:48 PM
  #60
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
Nothing against the guy but I don't think adding Mike Ribeiro will make things that much better. The Caps defense and goaltending is still questionable
how is the goaltending questionable?
how is the defense questionable?

enlighten us

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:53 PM
  #61
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,868
vCash: 500
Come on txpd, the goal tending is clearly questionable. Their big hope for next year has what, 50 NHL games?

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:12 PM
  #62
sycamore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Come on txpd, the goal tending is clearly questionable. Their big hope for next year has what, 50 NHL games?
Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy and Domink Hasek all had to start somewhere...

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:23 PM
  #63
PookDo
Registered User
 
PookDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
how is the goaltending questionable?
how is the defense questionable?

enlighten us
I think they are relying too much on Holtby which may be a bad idea

Ok I may have been wrong about the defense. I had to look up who our defensemen were. I went blank for a moment

PookDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:06 PM
  #64
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist
 
Zoidberg Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Interesting dichotomy then I guess but I'd rather make the playoffs with a guy who then contributes greatly to them not making it out of the 2nd round then not make the playoffs at all to begin with without him. But to each his own...
It just boggles my mind how bad Wideman was in the playoffs. The guy was on ice for 13 of the Caps' 21 ES goals against, while playing 16:08/game at ES. And his "offensive contribution" to make up for his astonishingly bad defensive play, while leading all defensemen with over 3 minutes of PP time per game, was a grand total of 3 assists. How can someone perform that poorly, and then be awarded a 25M dollar contract?

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:11 PM
  #65
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
It just boggles my mind how bad Wideman was in the playoffs. The guy was on ice for 13 of the Caps' 21 ES goals against, while playing 16:08/game at ES. And his "offensive contribution" to make up for his astonishingly bad defensive play, while leading all defensemen with over 3 minutes of PP time per game, was a grand total of 3 assists. How can someone perform that poorly, and then be awarded a 25M dollar contract?
Dude he was an all star, obviously he's a really good defenseman.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:14 PM
  #66
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,370
vCash: 50
its high time everyone is reminded even Lidstrom requested compatible d parts.

He requested players of a certain handedness for instance. Dmen should often be graded in pairs, some work and some don't. Its that simple.

Wideman was horrible. With Sarge.

With Hammer, he was an All Star.

Sarge with Norrisish Green, +50. With All Star Wideman, -10.

Its GM'ing at its best getting 3 functioning D pairs. Coaches can only move guys around so much. If they break up 27/74, maybe its for a reason. Another pair needs help.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:48 PM
  #67
Quicy
Registered User
 
Quicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 572
vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy and Domink Hasek all had to start somewhere...
Dryden and Roy won cups in their first post season. Hasek was stuck in Eur until he was 25

Quicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:56 PM
  #68
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
I think they are relying too much on Holtby which may be a bad idea

Ok I may have been wrong about the defense. I had to look up who our defensemen were. I went blank for a moment
Plenty of questions on D. We've got the man of glass, a 38 year old, and a second year player on a team that seems to encourage the sophomore slump. Also, Jeff Schultz is terrible.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
  #69
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy and Domink Hasek all had to start somewhere...
So did Steve Mason, Andrew Raycroft, and Jim Carey. There's no proof that Holtby will be in your category any more than this one. Absolutely no way you can consider goaltending anything but a huge question mark for this team.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:09 AM
  #70
discobob
Registered User
 
discobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Everything
Posts: 537
vCash: 500
On the defense being questionable - depends one what is meant by questionable...

I dont think there is much question that the Caps have a mediocre defense, the issue is whether or not we are banking on them being "top 10" caliber. If that is your expectation, then there are concerns about the top six - viability of Hammer at his age, health of Mike Green, ability of Orlov to play more minutes, will Shultz improve....

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
  #71
EHCler
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
So did Steve Mason, Andrew Raycroft, and Jim Carey. There's no proof that Holtby will be in your category any more than this one. Absolutely no way you can consider goaltending anything but a huge question mark for this team.
We have 2 young keepers that have shown they can play NHL. It is now time for them to figure out who is the future in goal of this franchise. One of the two will show he is a good NHL keeper.

While there are the known holes in this team Top 6 winger top 4 D-Man it is not sensible to make moves now. Any smart person would wait for the cba issue solved before making moves. If cap goes down there are moves to be made an prices dropping.

They do need to get JC signed to a deal BA needs to get a significant raise next year.

We have an owner who has shown he is willing to spend but reaching cap limit now is not a position this club should be in.

Unfortunatly the Caps will not be a top contender this year, in contrast to the last few when before the season we were always talked about as contender. Where did that bring us.

Time to evaluate this team is when the first games are played and last moves are made

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
  #72
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,664
vCash: 500
Ahh yes, the old myth that the Cap will go down, teams will be unable to react and good players will be set free...

McPhee and Leonsis tried that once already. I'm still waiting for said players to appear in DC. That strategy was a resounding dud for the Caps.



It's pretty rare for a "sit on your hands" approach to work.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:59 AM
  #73
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
You know I am looking at our roster moves.

We got better in my opinion.

We never lost anyone of importance.

We will go far this year. I feel confident

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:00 PM
  #74
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
how is the goaltending questionable?
how is the defense questionable?

enlighten us
May I?

The goaltending I'm not too worried about... but both goalies are young, and could flounder. We do have cap room to grab a temporary vet, if needed.

But the D?

I hope you're not trying to claim that we have a capable D. We do not.

The best of the lot may be Erskine, and he's slow of foot, and somewhat easily lured outta position.

I don't wish to be mean, but that is the truth. If you truly belive that the primary job of a Dman is to play D, we are in serious trouble.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
  #75
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Ahh yes, the old myth that the Cap will go down, teams will be unable to react and good players will be set free...

McPhee and Leonsis tried that once already. I'm still waiting for said players to appear in DC. That strategy was a resounding dud for the Caps.



It's pretty rare for a "sit on your hands" approach to work.
Quick question, "go down"?

When were we ever up?

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.