HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Why aren't the Caps using their salary caps space?

View Poll Results: Why aren't the Caps spending up to the Salary Cap
Ted is getting cheap or there just isn't enough cash 4 5.56%
GMGM and Ted are too conservative to go out on a limb because of the expiring CBA 15 20.83%
Combination of Items #1 and #2 - The CBA expiring is an excuse to not have to spend 21 29.17%
They would spend to the cap, but they didn't like the options this offseason 28 38.89%
The season is months away - they have something big planned 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-09-2012, 11:42 AM
PookDo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
10.5 with only Carlson left to sign (although I'm guessing that's why you're asking). Over 13 if you factor in Poti to LTIR, assuming those rules don't change.

Of course once the cap comes down who knows what the situation will be...
How long is Poti going to be out? I cant remember

PookDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Stimpy

Until his contract runs out. He's not coming back.

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
His career is likely done.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
Permanently.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:51 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Has there been any word on that from a team official? All I've seen is media/fan speculation.

What a wasted contract extension by Mcphee.....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:52 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
10.5 with only Carlson left to sign (although I'm guessing that's why you're asking). Over 13 if you factor in Poti to LTIR, assuming those rules don't change.

Of course once the cap comes down who knows what the situation will be...
Based on nothing really except what I know of negotiations, I'm of the opinion that the cap won't come down. I think more likely it will stand at it's current point, but the formula will be modified to slow the pace of growth going forward. For the purposes of this thread, it's a bit of a distinction without a difference, because they need to bank some cap space for the unknown anyway, but that's what I expect to happen ultimately.

californiacapsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:54 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Has there been any word on that from a team official? All I've seen is media/fan speculation.

You can't really blame the McPhee. How was he to know that a 33 year old with a history of groin injuries would wind up knocked out with a groin injury?

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 08-09-2012 at 12:08 PM.
BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:57 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Based on nothing really except what I know of negotiations, I'm of the opinion that the cap won't come down. I think more likely it will stand at it's current point, but the formula will be modified to slow the pace of growth going forward. For the purposes of this thread, it's a bit of a distinction without a difference, because they need to bank some cap space for the unknown anyway, but that's what I expect to happen ultimately.
I think that would be a logical way to do it to avoid a lockout, but I don't know if that's going to be good enough for the owners at the lower end of the $$ spectrum. The longer it drags on the less likely I see that kind of compromise coming about.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

The other three major leagues are within a couple points of a 50/50 revenue split between players and owners. The owners are only taking home 43% right now in the NHL. The salary cap is coming down.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
The other three major leagues are within a couple points of a 50/50 revenue split between players and owners. The owners are only taking home 43% right now in the NHL. The salary cap is coming down.
Of course the question of "what type of revenues" might be the biggest one. They want to redefine "hockey related revenues" to make it even less, and I imagine it's harder to put those calculations in context with the other big 3.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:

McPhee stated in an interview... I wanna say this winter... that he believed Poti's career was over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
You can't really blame the McPhee. How was he to know that a 33 year old with a history of groin injuries would wind up knocked out with a groin injury?
To be fair, it wasn't really something he could've expected, like a continuation of his previous injuries. It turned out that he'd fractured his pelvis at some point, and that it hadn't set properly and really couldn't be fixed. So if you want to blame anyone for that, it'd be the doctors who failed to properly diagnose him. It wasn't McPhee's fault he was working with the wrong information.

Zoidberg Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
McPhee stated in an interview... I wanna say this winter... that he believed Poti's career was over.

To be fair, it wasn't really something he could've expected, like a continuation of his previous injuries. It turned out that he'd fractured his pelvis at some point, and that it hadn't set properly and really couldn't be fixed. So if you want to blame anyone for that, it'd be the doctors who failed to properly diagnose him. It wasn't McPhee's fault he was working with the wrong information.
After Poti's history, not something he should have expected?!?!

McPhee clearly didn't do his homework on this one. If you wanna blame the Dr's that's fine, but ultimately it was McPhee's job to make sure he had a thorough medical clearance.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:39 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
It really seems like the Caps medical staff could be better. They misdiagnosed Poti, took how long to get the proper diagnosis on Green? Don't know but doesn't seem unreasonable they could have messed up Fehr too. Vokoun came back too soon, though I think he said it was personal choice. Again, just conjecture, but a lot of stuff seems to go wrong when Caps players get hurt.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:37 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
It really seems like the Caps medical staff could be better. They misdiagnosed Poti, took how long to get the proper diagnosis on Green? Don't know but doesn't seem unreasonable they could have messed up Fehr too. Vokoun came back too soon, though I think he said it was personal choice. Again, just conjecture, but a lot of stuff seems to go wrong when Caps players get hurt.
Pothier too. And Iirc, either Backstrom or Green weren't shut down immediately following their last official concussion.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I mean you're in the Nation's Capital. You'd think there were some decent Docs available for management to choose from.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:24 PM
txpd

you guys enjoy your mcphee bashing. its trendy and fun. just to be clear on poti, his groin injury was 100% healed and signed off by the doctors. unfortunately poti's injury was NOT a groin injury. it was an completely undiagnosed fractured HIP that had healed out of line and resulted in stress on the groin muscle.

this was not discovered til well into the season of his extension.

i am sure its mcphee's fault that he didnt know this and act accordingly, but i am not sure how.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:44 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you guys enjoy your mcphee bashing. its trendy and fun. just to be clear on poti, his groin injury was 100% healed and signed off by the doctors. unfortunately poti's injury was NOT a groin injury. it was an completely undiagnosed fractured HIP that had healed out of line and resulted in stress on the groin muscle.

i am sure its mcphee's fault that he didnt know this and act accordingly, but i am not sure how.
the main critique here is of the doctors and seems valid to me. one would think that physicians for a pro sports franchise would be sufficiently competent to not miss fractured bones and hernias for prolonged periods. poti hip could have been managed had they correctly diagnosed the problem when it was still fractured. the critique of mcphee is that he does not appear to be holding the med team to account for some long-term, undiagnosed or misdiagnosed injuries that have cost and nearly cost players their careers.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
the main critique here is of the doctors and seems valid to me. one would think that physicians for a pro sports franchise would be sufficiently competent to not miss fractured bones and hernias for prolonged periods. poti hip could have been managed had they correctly diagnosed the problem when it was still fractured. the critique of mcphee is that he does not appear to be holding the med team to account for some long-term, undiagnosed or misdiagnosed injuries that have cost and nearly cost players their careers.
We don't know whether they've been held accountable. It certainly seems like they're pretty terrible at their jobs, so I would hope they have been. It seems like players with long-term injuries almost always get outside consultation too, though, and I guess Poti's thing was missed by everyone. Criticizing McPhee for signing Poti has always been stupid.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:57 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
We don't know whether they've been held accountable. It certainly seems like they're pretty terrible at their jobs, so I would hope they have been. It seems like players with long-term injuries almost always get outside consultation too, though, and I guess Poti's thing was missed by everyone. Criticizing McPhee for signing Poti has always been stupid.
that's true I suppose. not sure they'd publicize replacing their doctors.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:13 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Criticizing McPhee for signing Poti has always been stupid.
Not really. Why sign a 33 year old with a phone book sized injury history to a market rate, multiyear deal? I don't take issue with the money as much as I take issue with the fact that McPhee committed to Poti as a top 4 ld. Then when Poti wasn't available, we had our thumbs up our ***** and couldn't replace him. Well, actually I guess we did replace him. With a living fossil on a multiyear deal.

Management!

Old
08-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Pothier too. And Iirc, either Backstrom or Green weren't shut down immediately following their last official concussion.
Backstrom returned to play in the Calgary game after the elbow to the head.

Quote:
Not really. Why sign a 33 year old with a phone book sized injury history to a market rate, multiyear deal? I don't take issue with the money as much as I take issue with the fact that McPhee committed to Poti as a top 4 ld. Then when Poti wasn't available, we had our thumbs up our ***** and couldn't replace him. Well, actually I guess we did replace him. With a living fossil on a multiyear deal.

Management!
The common consensus, iirc, was that Poti signed at a discount. Given his playoff performance, in particular, he was likely going to be a fairly sought after free agent. I still wouldn't have a problem with a healthy Poti as a top4 LD solution for this team, especially after the chemistry he showed with Carlson.
Alzner-Green
Poti-Carlson
Hamrlik-Orlov

Additionally, we first replaced Poti with Hannan.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Apparently making excuses for McPhee is also trendy and fun....

Seriously though, Dr's make mistakes all the time. I think we all get that. However, when dealing with a player who has a history, don't you think it warrants a little extra scrutiny?

Old
08-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Poti took a significant cut in salary and definitely signed for less than he would have been able to get as a UFA, provided his play didn't decline noticeably. I don't agree with the decision to re-sign him so early in the year, but McPhee doesn't have a medical degree or the background to question from a medical perspective what the team doctors are telling him. I don't think it was necessary to sign him so early, but I understand why it was done at that salary, and the outrage/indignation/whatever about it is ridiculous.

Edit: Really, attacks on McPhee over this issue just sap credibility from the people who make them. It's clearly agenda informing interpretation of the facts, rather than the other way around.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:18 PM
txpd

Quote:
Apparently making excuses for McPhee is also trendy and fun....

Seriously though, Dr's make mistakes all the time. I think we all get that. However, when dealing with a player who has a history, don't you think it warrants a little extra scrutiny?
Where was the excuse? I posted a correction. It was not a groin injury but a fracture.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Where was the excuse? I posted a correction. It was not a groin injury but a fracture.
Didn't accuse you specifically that I remember...just countering your catiness with the woe is McPhee stuff...as if the guy's career hasn't warranted significant criticism.