Gymnastics

Old
08-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Fighter
Playoffs train wreck

vCash: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
I don't blame her though, she doesn't really have anything to prove and it's a massive commitment.
How about proving that she is INDEED the best in the world at vault? To the vast majority of people (those who don't follow closely gymnastics), she's the internet meme gymnast who fell flat on her ass in the vault final.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:42 AM
Darren Peng
Nang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
How about proving that she is INDEED the best in the world at vault? To the vast majority of people (those who don't follow closely gymnastics), she's the internet meme gymnast who fell flat on her ass in the vault final.
She's kinda reminding me of Rebecca Black right now, she thinks she's massively famous, but doesn't realise it's for all the wrong reasons

Darren Peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Weiber not Mckayla

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
McKayla should do whatever she can to cash in. There's no money in Gymnastics itself, but there's a decent bit of money to be made for American Olympians in the world of endorsements and public appearances. Nastia and Shawn Johnson both made out pretty well, as have other American Olympians.

Although I'd like to see her back in Rio, her comments regarding 2016 have been pretty unenthusiastic. I don't blame her though, she doesn't really have anything to prove and it's a massive commitment.
Of course. Plus the stress fracture. I think she would like a normal life. I mean she has done well up to this point. Frankly I wouldn't want back either.

Old
08-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Wasn't talking about her, but if I was, that still doesn't apply. The people who don't follow the sport don't care that she won silver, they saw what she did to help the US win the team competition and most people thought the "meme" was funny. Those that do follow the sport already know that she's the best at the vault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
She's kinda reminding me of Rebecca Black right now, she thinks she's massively famous, but doesn't realise it's for all the wrong reasons
Nah. People actually like McKayla, and unlike Rebecca Black, she's actually good at what she's famous for.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

Quote:
Nah. People actually like McKayla, and unlike Rebecca Black, she's actually good at what she's famous for.
Good at falling on her ass, making a sad face, and becoming a meme?

There's no doubt she's a good gymnast but most people don't care, like Fighter said most people know her as the gymnast meme girl.

If McKayla didn't make that face on the podium she'd be irrelevant, fans of gymnastics would remember her but nobody else. She is now trying to milk this false fame while at the other end of the scale you have Aliya Mustafina saying "I hope people don't recognise me on the metro"

Last edited by Darren Peng: 08-29-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old
08-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Good at falling on her ass, making a sad face, and becoming a meme?

There's no doubt she's a good gymnast but most people don't care, like Fighter said most people know her as the gymnast meme girl.

If McKayla didn't make that face on the podium she'd be irrelevant, fans of gymnastics would remember her but nobody else. She is now trying to milk this false fame while at the other end of the scale you have Aliya Mustafina saying "I hope people don't recognise me on the metro"
No idea what point you're trying to make, but alright. Again, none of that makes her like Rebecca Black.

Old
08-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

Quote:
No idea what point you're trying to make, but alright. Again, none of that makes her like Rebecca Black.
She is like Rebecca Black because she is famous for being an internet laughing stock, which they both fail to realise.

Actually, McKayla does sort of realise because she said in that interview "it is pretty funny" but she doesn't seem to know that without the meme, very few people would care about her.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
She is like Rebecca Black because she is famous for being an internet laughing stock, which they both fail to realise.
Again, the obvious difference between the two and what makes her decidedly not a "laughing stock" is that McKayla is fairly well-liked, both in the media and online. There's also the obvious difference in skill between the two.

Not trying to be a jerk, it's just a really bad comparison.

Quote:
Actually, McKayla does sort of realise because she said in that interview "it is pretty funny" but she doesn't seem to know that without the meme, very few people would care about her.
They're gymnasts. Most people only care about them for a two weeks out of every four years anyway.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

Quote:
Again, the obvious difference between the two and what makes her decidedly not a "laughing stock" is that McKayla is fairly well-liked, both in the media and online. There's also the obvious difference in skill between the two.

Not trying to be a jerk, it's just a really bad comparison.
I'm only comparing them for that one feature though, I'm ignoring the difference in talent, that isn't my point. My point is that they are both famous for the wrong reasons, and mostly fail to realise this.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Melrose Munch

A little heated eh?

Anyway, I think that given that most people don't care about the games in between the 4 years, people forget, unless something like this happen. I think she was annoyed but now its a marketing opportunity. She she should cash like Yosh and invictus have said. Because right now she is the best vaulter(almost everyone has forgot that team vault now) but will she be in 4 years, or even 18 months?

Old
08-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
A little heated eh?
Nah, we're good. I just think he's a hater.

Old
08-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

Quote:
Nah, we're good. I just think he's a hater.
I don't particularly like Mckayla so you could say that but I do say these things half-jokingly, most of my posts shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I'm not entirely sure why I dislike her, probably because I prefer the Russians, and her voice is kinda annoying

Old
08-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
I don't particularly like Mckayla so you could say that but I do say these things half-jokingly, most of my posts shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I'm not entirely sure why I dislike her, probably because I prefer the Russians, and her voice is kinda annoying
Media blitz could be a reason.

Old
08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

Quote:
Media blitz could be a reason.
And the way she acted after the silver (but that's been beaten to death already). I actually defended her in this thread but only for the sulking, not for snubbing Maria the way she did. I've been playing and reffing hockey most of my life and nothing makes me lose respect for someone more than not shaking an opponent/official's hand, it's classless.

I don't really want to go into this whole discussion again, I know she apologised, but still. I'm over it anyway.

Last edited by Darren Peng: 08-29-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old
08-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Fighter
Playoffs train wreck

Quote:
Wasn't talking about her, but if I was, that still doesn't apply. The people who don't follow the sport don't care that she won silver, they saw what she did to help the US win the team competition and most people thought the "meme" was funny. Those that do follow the sport already know that she's the best at the vault.
Sorry, misunderstood the gymnasts but I don't agree anyway: the ultimate prize for EVERY athlete, gymnasts included is the individual gold medal. Being injured ruined all her (Wieber) chances and that's a pity but going away from the Olympics without ANY individual medal leaves A LOT to prove. Not only that, but last year when she won the All Around in the World Championship she wasn't the best, Komova was.

Quote:
Don't agree with this either. 95% of the people knows her for the internet meme face. 0,01% knows her for being the best in the world at vault. The rest for being one of the "Fierce Five".
I like her attitude though, if she wants to bank in after years of sacrifices, I don't blame her at all; it's also in pure California style

Old
08-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Sorry, misunderstood the gymnasts but I don't agree anyway: the ultimate prize for EVERY athlete, gymnasts included is the individual gold medal. Being injured ruined all her (Wieber) chances and that's a pity but going away from the Olympics without ANY individual medal leaves A LOT to prove. Not only that, but last year when she won the All Around in the World Championship she wasn't the best, Komova was.
There's no doubt that Olympic gold is the ultimate prize, and I'm sure she'd love to have it, but I don't get the impression that she's unsatisfied with what she's accomplished. I could be wrong, but she's accomplished quite a bit in her career and she seems to be pretty content with that.

As for your last sentence, I figured you were going to say that (based on your comments about difficulty vs artistry from earlier in the thread), and you are more than entitled to that opinion, but I don't feel like getting into it.

Old
08-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

I'm planning to visit Moscow next summer, hopefully Aliya's wish of not being recognised on the metro won't come true

Man that sounds so stalker-ish, and I made fun of McKayla for thinking she'd have stalkers

Old
08-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
And the way she acted after the silver (but that's been beaten to death already). I actually defended her in this thread but only for the sulking, not for snubbing Maria the way she did. I've been playing and reffing hockey most of my life and nothing makes me lose respect for someone more than not shaking an opponent/official's hand, it's classless.

I don't really want to go into this whole discussion again, I know she apologised, but still. I'm over it anyway.
Quote:

Don't agree with this either. 95% of the people knows her for the internet meme face. 0,01% knows her for being the best in the world at vault. The rest for being one of the "Fierce Five".
I like her attitude though, if she wants to bank in after years of sacrifices, I don't blame her at all; it's also in pure California style
That's the thing with me. That's why I want her to try for Rio. But the new quad is coming soon.

Old
08-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Melrose Munch

I feel Jordyn was the best and the US got punished for being stacked. I think she'll call it a day after next year. Kyla Ross will be the one to watch for Rio.

Old
09-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

Here's British comedian Lee Evans' view on London hosting the Olympics, skip to 5:00 for the part about gymnastics, its so true

Old
09-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Here's British comedian Lee Evans' view on London hosting the Olympics, skip to 5:00 for the part about gymnastics, its so true

Old
09-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Fighter
Playoffs train wreck

it is reported that both Izbasa and Ponor will resume training. Don't know about Izbasa, I think she still has something left inside her; Ponor will attend a gala in Mexico but I don't think she will go further.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Darren Peng
Nang

Quote:
Practice that bit! You're **** at at!!

Did you watch the whole video?

Old
09-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Practice that bit! You're **** at at!!

Did you watch the whole video?
LOL yes. I like the part where talks about the countries you've never ever heard of of. At 3:05 mark.