HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Gymnastics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2012, 10:30 AM
  #26
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,853
vCash: 517
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
It's time for the final.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:38 AM
  #27
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,853
vCash: 517
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Wow, that was perfect.

Solid start for USA.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:18 PM
  #28
danaluvsthekings
Registered User
 
danaluvsthekings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Incidentally, it's not at all unusual for a country to be limited in the number of athletes it can enter in an event...most sports don't involve a line up of the best athletes in the world, but of the best (fixed number of) athletes from various countries. The difference with gymnastics is that the cut is actually made at the Olympics. They could always tell the national federations to hold the competition at the national level to decide what two athletes will be entered then - but I don't know if that's much better.
I can understand a rule limit like that when you're only letting 8 athletes compete in the final like with track or swimming or even event finals in gymnastics. Having a country claim 3 or 4 out of 8 spots would be a bit ridiculous and the cry that other countries aren't getting a chance to represent themselves would be a more valid point. By stretching the field to 24 competitors (and past the top 24 because China, Russia, and Britain as well as the US each had 3 in the top 24), you are going to be including some athletes that probably don't even have the required difficulty in their routines where if they were perfect, their scores could beat routines by the top gymnasts like Komova, Mustafina, Douglas, Raissman, or Wieber with those ladies making mistakes. And that to me, is what makes it a farce.

danaluvsthekings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:19 PM
  #29
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 39,022
vCash: 500
GB girl's outfits are hypnotizingly blue. And why am I watching gymnastics again? Because Finnish tv offers only that or a delayed broadcast of USA - GER volleyball.

E: and it's not even live...


Last edited by Jussi: 07-31-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:23 PM
  #30
Slopo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
Gold for US women

Slopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:13 PM
  #31
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund View Post
Swimming has the same rule where only 2 swimmers per country can enter an event.
They changed that rule because of the East German women

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:13 PM
  #32
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
GB girl's outfits are hypnotizingly blue.
Just don't look at the teeth

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:45 PM
  #33
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
I can understand a rule limit like that when you're only letting 8 athletes compete in the final like with track or swimming or even event finals in gymnastics. Having a country claim 3 or 4 out of 8 spots would be a bit ridiculous and the cry that other countries aren't getting a chance to represent themselves would be a more valid point. By stretching the field to 24 competitors (and past the top 24 because China, Russia, and Britain as well as the US each had 3 in the top 24), you are going to be including some athletes that probably don't even have the required difficulty in their routines where if they were perfect, their scores could beat routines by the top gymnasts like Komova, Mustafina, Douglas, Raissman, or Wieber with those ladies making mistakes. And that to me, is what makes it a farce.
Again...it's very common for there to be quotas re the number of competitors a country can enter in an event (in fact, I can't off the top of my head think of any events that does not have a limit). Even sports where there are many finalists (such as figure skating or skiing) caps the number of entries from a country...the result of that will be that there are athletes from "stronger" countries who do not make an event, notwithstanding the fact they likely would have had better results than an athlete from a "weaker" country who gets to participate.

I actually thought the rule was fine when 3 athletes per country could move on - but after a number of countries (including the US) pushed for a rule change, it was changed to 2. The reality is the US thought the rule was fine when it was Romania and Russia losing out, but now doesn't like it so much b/c Jordyn lost out.

As an aside...if Aly or Gabby hadn't made the final (and Jordyn had), I don't think the complaining would be nearly as loud. Jordyn had the opportunity to make the final - but she was out done by her teammates.

In any event, she now has very deservedly won a gold in the team final, so hopefully that will be some consolation.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:09 PM
  #34
danaluvsthekings
Registered User
 
danaluvsthekings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Again...it's very common for there to be quotas re the number of competitors a country can enter in an event (in fact, I can't off the top of my head think of any events that does not have a limit). Even sports where there are many finalists (such as figure skating or skiing) caps the number of entries from a country...the result of that will be that there are athletes from "stronger" countries who do not make an event, notwithstanding the fact they likely would have had better results than an athlete from a "weaker" country who gets to participate.
I know with figure skating there is a formula to determine whether a country can have 2 or 3 individual skaters based on a team's performance at the World Championships. If a country has 1 skater and the skater finishes in the top 10, they get 2 at the next Worlds or Olympics depending on if it's an Olympic year. If they have 2, your skaters combined placement has to be 13th (like 4th and 5th would give you combined 9th) or less and then you get 3 for the next event. A rule like that makes a bit more sense than the blanket only 2 athletes per country rule. Sports tends to be cyclical with some years a country having a better team than others. So in years where countries have stronger teams, they can have more representatives, while the weaker countries still get some representation.

danaluvsthekings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
  #35
KaylaJ
Honey Bun
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 13,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Yeah, I don't blame them, either. You're allowed to appeal and they thought they were justified in doing so (and apparently the review panel agreed). With that said, when I saw the replays it didn't look like the japanese guy really did get into a full handstand...but i'm no expert, so
I never got to see a full replay (I've seen several people unsure what they were arguing about, but I thought it was dismount), but I guess them there are the breaks you have in a judged sport. It will not always be fair unfortunately.

Also, I agree with you had it been someone besides Jordyn, there probably wouldn't be as much controversy.




Anyway, can sometime who will watch the replay later tell me how NBC does their coverage? Like is it just US or what. I missed it today and won't be home during the prime time hours. I'm guessing it'll mostly be stuffed in the last hour, but am unsure with swimming today as well. May have to set the DVR for the late night replay, but should I go all 4 or just 1 hour?

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:20 PM
  #36
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,813
vCash: 185
Wow, just saw the video of Raisman's parents watching her routine.....scary.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
  #37
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
I know with figure skating there is a formula to determine whether a country can have 2 or 3 individual skaters based on a team's performance at the World Championships. If a country has 1 skater and the skater finishes in the top 10, they get 2 at the next Worlds or Olympics depending on if it's an Olympic year. If they have 2, your skaters combined placement has to be 13th (like 4th and 5th would give you combined 9th) or less and then you get 3 for the next event. A rule like that makes a bit more sense than the blanket only 2 athletes per country rule. Sports tends to be cyclical with some years a country having a better team than others. So in years where countries have stronger teams, they can have more representatives, while the weaker countries still get some representation.
I think the figure skating system makes a lot of sense, too - it rewards success of the program while also allowing those whose programs (as reflected by the results of their competitors) improve to get more spots the next year (that's what happened with ice dance in Canada).

However, in an immediate sense, it's still true that the US was a country that pushed for the current rule (when it didn't like the implications of the old one) and is now complaining it's "unfair" because it didn't benefit them this time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Wow, just saw the video of Raisman's parents watching her routine.....scary.
Are you watching on CTV? Her mom looked like a real loony.

I was impressed with the Canadians - at one point we were actually in 4th and not far from 3rd!! 5th is very impressive. Is that a best ever result?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:50 PM
  #38
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,813
vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Are you watching on CTV? Her mom looked like a real loony.

I was impressed with the Canadians - at one point we were actually in 4th and not far from 3rd!! 5th is very impressive. Is that a best ever result?
Yeah, saw the replay on CTV. Her mom seems a bit.....domineering. Like a pageant mom.

And yes, 5th is the best we've ever done.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:15 PM
  #39
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,906
vCash: 500
If you haven't seen the woman's team final you have to watch it.

Perfection by the USA.


Also, I am so proud of the Canadian girls!

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:10 PM
  #40
shortshorts
broken athlete
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,305
vCash: 500
Fantastic job by the Canadian girls!

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:24 PM
  #41
KesselBuiltMyHotrod
Registered User
 
KesselBuiltMyHotrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,008
vCash: 50
Do you guys think Victoria Moors has a boyfriend?

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
  #42
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,125
vCash: 500
Holy hell, that US girl's gymnastics team was dominant. What a performance.


Last edited by SB164: 07-31-2012 at 10:59 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:22 PM
  #43
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,138
vCash: 500
They were amazing! I'm glad they won it...they're all deserving and should be proud - but I have to admit I'm a tiny extra bit happy for Jordyn and to see her so happy

I'm also really happy about Canada - I feel like our team should be so proud of themselves today...no joke, I'm *almost* as happy about their 5th as I am about our athletes who won bronze today.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:27 PM
  #44
KaylaJ
Honey Bun
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 13,484
vCash: 500
Saw the last few floors and sure was nice to see. Gabby has some great spunk and they all seemed so confident. The few Russian performances I saw seemed too shaky esp the one who screwed up right off the bat. From there she just never seemed to recover.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:41 PM
  #45
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,138
vCash: 500
I wonder who will win the all-around? I had Jordyn picked, but that's not going to happen, unfortunately. I have my fingers crossed for both of our good American friends. Gabby is great - but I really do have a soft spot for Aly!

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:50 PM
  #46
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,125
vCash: 500
This is how the US team started their event tonight. McKayla Maroney absolutely killed it at the vault.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mckay...y-vault-2012-7

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:51 PM
  #47
Yoshimitsu
Registered User
 
Yoshimitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,918
vCash: 500


<3

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:55 PM
  #48
Socks
HeadFake
 
Socks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post


<3
And yet somehow the judges found errors in that.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:12 PM
  #49
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,125
vCash: 500
At least these two judges seemed pretty impressed.



Last edited by SB164: 08-01-2012 at 01:01 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:14 PM
  #50
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,978
vCash: 500
There interview with Bob Costas just now was very good. They seem like they really do like each other, and spend a lot of time together outside of the gym.

That vault was basically laying the hammer down on everyone, if you're there for one vault you better nail it, and she did.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.