HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

NBC dropping the ball on coverage

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
  #51
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
I'm not about to read this whole thread, but what are they showing in prime time? The big events, with the big stars. They show swimming, Gymnastics, Diving, the events that people want to see, and draw the biggest ratings. Why are they only showing this on 1 channel, and no other channels showing replays? It's so people tune in to watch these events, and boost their ratings for the primetime viewership to beat the other networks.

It's not a fact of them dropping the ball, it's the fact that they paid 2.2 billion for these games, and they want to hopefully get a ROI from it, and the best way is to make sure you are watching NBC at night.

I would have to say the dropping of the ball is the fact that everyone who wants to know already knows who won the events they are showing in prime time on tape delay. So the 400 IM you all saw the other day(I watched on my computer), where Phelps took a **** and Lochte coasted to victory, nobody would really want to tune in at night to see that would they?

Dropping of the ball has been that they didn't offer the gold medal events and crap that they are showing in prime time, be shown earlier in the day as well. Why not, they offer it online anyways.
Dropping the ball is that prior to this olympics there were other olympic viewing option at night and late into the night with the other NBC stations. Your reasoning as to why they're doing it is exactly my thought as to what their reasoning is. We are their customers, it is not good for us for them to do it, especially when they previously were offering us more. Honestly, the tape delay stuff just doesnt get to me as I have sort of learned to tune out spoilers from Beijing and Vancouver (basically im used to how it works). I love the olympics but this really has me ticked off and I hate the feeling of having options taken away. It just strikes me as to what too many things are doing these days, like the video game industry for instance. I used to have no problem with NBC winning the rights to these games due to the idea that they'd be showing the content to the best they could. Now, I really want another network to win it.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:58 PM
  #52
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
They show everything live during the day already, DVR it if you want. Or watch on your computer while you are watching NBC. It's a simple numbers game for them. If their advertisers know that all other events will be going on too during Primetime, why would they want to pay more with a smaller audience?

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:04 PM
  #53
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
How is it a personal attack to say you know nothing about TV contracts? Nobody here does!!

I'm pretty pleased that I've been able to turn on the TV and be able to choose from 4 different options at the same time. I think it's effing outstanding that every available replay is available on NBC's website.

Until someone here can demonstrate they were part of the contract writing as a member of or a representative of NBC or the IOC anything in regards to the 'the likely spirit of the contract' is pure bull**** because it's 100% speculative.
You'd be hard pressed to find any subject worth discussing on these forums if it was limited to something that someone had hard evidence on. We're all speculating but most of it is using reason and logic to come to the conclusion that we do, or at least I do.

One should be able to safely assume that when a network like NBC pitches itself to the IOC for the rights to cover the olympics the ability to actually cover the games and thus how many additional stations to show additional events is something that is probably weighed as a benefit to their bid. If it were simply about money then why wouldnt something like HBO or Showtime or Directv make an exclusive bid for the games? Directv was able to make an exclusive deal with the NFL for Sunday Ticket so I wouldnt doubt they could put a competitive bid for the olympic games if it were simply just about who put up the most money.

So going by that why is it so wrong to think that maybe when those various NBC stations were likely used in the bidding process as additional +'s to awarding the contract to NBC that perhaps its a little bait and switch as those stations are disabled during the period of time when most americans are able to actually watch the games? So that is where I draw the conclusion that they're likely not in the spirit of the contract because from 8pm and on eastern time NBC becomes a one channel network in America for the Olympics in 20 freaking 12. Something isnt right about that, and again I am really perplexed that I appear to be the ONLY one here who actually gives a damn. I guess people here like getting less when they used to get more.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
  #54
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
They show everything live during the day already, DVR it if you want. Or watch on your computer while you are watching NBC. It's a simple numbers game for them. If their advertisers know that all other events will be going on too during Primetime, why would they want to pay more with a smaller audience?
I was thinking I was repeating myself way too much but apparently not enough because I see the same type of responses.

I don't want to watch on a computer what I used to be able to watch on another NBC channel during prior olympics. This is something new that they just started this year.

I don't have a dvr on my tv in the bedroom and on my living room. Even if I did having to fix their problem is not the ideal solution and only enables them to do this for future olympics. again This is something new that they just started this year.

So we as the citizens of this country get screwed over by a cash grab from NBC because apparently what was their model for the prior 2 olympics wasnt good enough for them and they needed to change it because This is something new that they started this year.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:22 PM
  #55
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find any subject worth discussing on these forums if it was limited to something that someone had hard evidence on. We're all speculating but most of it is using reason and logic to come to the conclusion that we do, or at least I do.

One should be able to safely assume that when a network like NBC pitches itself to the IOC for the rights to cover the olympics the ability to actually cover the games and thus how many additional stations to show additional events is something that is probably weighed as a benefit to their bid. If it were simply about money then why wouldnt something like HBO or Showtime or Directv make an exclusive bid for the games? Directv was able to make an exclusive deal with the NFL for Sunday Ticket so I wouldnt doubt they could put a competitive bid for the olympic games if it were simply just about who put up the most money.

So going by that why is it so wrong to think that maybe when those various NBC stations were likely used in the bidding process as additional +'s to awarding the contract to NBC that perhaps its a little bait and switch as those stations are disabled during the period of time when most americans are able to actually watch the games? So that is where I draw the conclusion that they're likely not in the spirit of the contract because from 8pm and on eastern time NBC becomes a one channel network in America for the Olympics in 20 freaking 12. Something isnt right about that, and again I am really perplexed that I appear to be the ONLY one here who actually gives a damn. I guess people here like getting less when they used to get more.
I guess I'm crazy for wanting to actually know something about a topic when I talk about it. As for getting less, that hardly seems like the case when literally everything is available online. Not only is every single event available... it's on demand, and free. But yep, we're getting less.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:22 PM
  #56
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Well you should get DVR and quit your crying. Connect your computer to your TV if that will make you feel better.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:28 PM
  #57
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I guess I'm crazy for wanting to actually know something about a topic when I talk about it. As for getting less, that hardly seems like the case when literally everything is available online. Not only is every single event available... it's on demand, and free. But yep, we're getting less.
I had 4 other NBC channels to choose from at primetime during the winter olympics. If I didnt like the figure skating I was able to turn on a different event on a different channel. Yes we're getting less, if you're going to try to argue that we arent then you're obtuse.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:29 PM
  #58
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,909
vCash: 500
The only time NBC would put something on one of their other channels against prime time was if it was something big that had to be live (i.e. hockey last winter olympics) other than that they have always cleared the deck for their primetime.

As for the IOC they don't care because NBC pays them about half the revenue they get. NBC last year outbid its nearest competitor for the next 4 olympics by about a billion dollars. If IOC is going to turn a blind eye to the tape delay because of the cash they aren't going to care about 1 channel coverage at a time when there actually is 0 events going on.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:31 PM
  #59
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I had 4 other NBC channels to choose from at primetime during the winter olympics. If I didnt like the figure skating I was able to turn on a different event on a different channel. Yes we're getting less, if you're going to try to argue that we arent then you're obtuse.

Quote:
NBCOlympics.com streamed many smaller sports live during the 2008 Beijing Olympics for a total of 2,200 hours, but the big-ticket events were held back. This year, more than 3,500 hours will be shown on the website.
http://www.sfgate.com/default/articl...ne-3525462.php

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:34 PM
  #60
AvsPredsFan19
Registered User
 
AvsPredsFan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Breckenridge, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Best reason to watch it on online on NBC website because its not NBC that's broadcasting it. It is the "Olympic Broadcasting Services" is an agency of the International Olympic Committee who do where made in 2001 to become the host broadcaster feeds to all international stations. They show all events and replays and have unbiased commentators than NBC.

Just like the article zytz posted above.

AvsPredsFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:40 PM
  #61
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Well you should get DVR and quit your crying. Connect your computer to your TV if that will make you feel better.
I have a DVR on my living room tv, not on my bedroom and why the hell should I load my harddrive which is already approaching full with hours of HD content which uses a lot of space simply to attempt a lame attempt at a fix for a more serious problem?

If after everything I have typed throughout this thread leads you to believe I have ANY interest whatsoever of attaching my computer to my tv then I fear you need better reading comprehension.


It's amazing the length you people go through to defend a company like NBC taking away options we used to have and sticking us with only whats on their regular station during the whole prime time and into the night. Do you just not realize the multiple times I mentioned over and over that they used to actually provide other channels for us during that period of time and now they dont? Do you just choose to ignore it and instead post lame attempts at a solution that do nothing to address the whole point of this about how NBC has dropped the ball. This isnt like this has been NBC's policy all along, I couldnt complain about them doing something that I havent seen them do otherwise. But since the prior two olympics were ones where they didnt lock us out from olympic content on their other stations during the most convenient viewing hours having them decide to do it to us now doesnt exactly leave a nice taste in the mouth. And frankly almost as disturbing is the consumer base here who are going to basically enable them to do this and not bat an eyelash over it. Well, get ready to get shafted on the Sochi coverage because if nothing is brought up about this they WILL use this model again as it obviously bumps up their ratings artificially. Just be ready for Figure Skating and Ice Dancing at night to be the only things you can view unless you want to freaking drag out a bunch of wires and hook a friggen computer to your tv like some kid.

BTW, just tried to do the stupid online streaming. I have to choose my cable provider and then enter in some online login from my cable provider before I can stream any of the content. I have absolutely no friggen clue what my login info for Directv is, I have never had to use it before so basically I gotta go through that stupid hassle before even seeing if the quality is worth a damn which i doubt it will be. I have used MLB tv before and had it stream through a PS3. It had to buffer often and it would switch to standard definition often throughout. This is a half assed bandaid that does nothing to address the real issue and in the end leaves you with a much worse product.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:42 PM
  #62
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
The only time NBC would put something on one of their other channels against prime time was if it was something big that had to be live (i.e. hockey last winter olympics) other than that they have always cleared the deck for their primetime.

As for the IOC they don't care because NBC pays them about half the revenue they get. NBC last year outbid its nearest competitor for the next 4 olympics by about a billion dollars. If IOC is going to turn a blind eye to the tape delay because of the cash they aren't going to care about 1 channel coverage at a time when there actually is 0 events going on.
There mustve constantly been a big Hockey game on each time Figure Skating was on because I loved how I wasnt subjected to having to watch one single figure skating event due to an option being on another channel. So I think you might be a bit off about that.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:49 PM
  #63
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 692
I dont think you get how little additional online coverage means to me. It could be zero and it wouldnt matter. If that really was an issue it frankly wouldnt matter as the free streaming sites are absolutely filled with olympic coverage anyways.

I don't know if you guys are all college aged kids or something but I don't watch my tv from a laptop. I rarely stream anythign to the tv from it, it's a pain in the butt that I frankly don't bother with. It's just not a convenient solution in any sense. It's good for people who already do the bulk of their watching from their computer but thats not me or most of America.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:51 PM
  #64
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I have a DVR on my living room tv, not on my bedroom and why the hell should I load my harddrive which is already approaching full with hours of HD content which uses a lot of space simply to attempt a lame attempt at a fix for a more serious problem?

If after everything I have typed throughout this thread leads you to believe I have ANY interest whatsoever of attaching my computer to my tv then I fear you need better reading comprehension.


It's amazing the length you people go through to defend a company like NBC taking away options we used to have and sticking us with only whats on their regular station during the whole prime time and into the night. Do you just not realize the multiple times I mentioned over and over that they used to actually provide other channels for us during that period of time and now they dont? Do you just choose to ignore it and instead post lame attempts at a solution that do nothing to address the whole point of this about how NBC has dropped the ball. This isnt like this has been NBC's policy all along, I couldnt complain about them doing something that I havent seen them do otherwise. But since the prior two olympics were ones where they didnt lock us out from olympic content on their other stations during the most convenient viewing hours having them decide to do it to us now doesnt exactly leave a nice taste in the mouth. And frankly almost as disturbing is the consumer base here who are going to basically enable them to do this and not bat an eyelash over it. Well, get ready to get shafted on the Sochi coverage because if nothing is brought up about this they WILL use this model again as it obviously bumps up their ratings artificially. Just be ready for Figure Skating and Ice Dancing at night to be the only things you can view unless you want to freaking drag out a bunch of wires and hook a friggen computer to your tv like some kid.

BTW, just tried to do the stupid online streaming. I have to choose my cable provider and then enter in some online login from my cable provider before I can stream any of the content. I have absolutely no friggen clue what my login info for Directv is, I have never had to use it before so basically I gotta go through that stupid hassle before even seeing if the quality is worth a damn which i doubt it will be. I have used MLB tv before and had it stream through a PS3. It had to buffer often and it would switch to standard definition often throughout. This is a half assed bandaid that does nothing to address the real issue and in the end leaves you with a much worse product.
NBC is adapting to consumer desires, which include accessibility to everything from multiple devices, as well as live content. That means content online. Dunno what to tell you, get with the times I guess.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:53 PM
  #65
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
There mustve constantly been a big Hockey game on each time Figure Skating was on because I loved how I wasnt subjected to having to watch one single figure skating event due to an option being on another channel. So I think you might be a bit off about that.
There was. The game times in Vancouver were 3, 7, 10. NBC carried the full tournament live, so in that case there was alternatives during prime time. Again though Hockey in winter olympics are one of those big team sports that already have the built in audience, who expect live coverage. It would be the same for basketball a lesser extent Soccer if those games were scheduled in US prime time.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:01 PM
  #66
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
There was. The game times in Vancouver were 3, 7, 10. NBC carried the full tournament live, so in that case there was alternatives during prime time. Again though Hockey in winter olympics are one of those big team sports that already have the built in audience, who expect live coverage. It would be the same for basketball a lesser extent Soccer if those games were scheduled in US prime time.
This. There is absolutely nothing that would be shown live in American primetime right now. Everyone in London is boozing, or sleeping.

Canada was the same time zone so it made sense to have other events in Primetime as well.

Beijing is 11am our time right now, so there would still be live events going on at this time.

OP really must be like an 80 year old fart that doesn't understand the world is evolving, and the way people watch things has evolved.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:56 PM
  #67
Vamos Rafa
Registered User
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Armenia, California
Country: Spain
Posts: 15,096
vCash: 500
Prime time doesn't even show the medal ceremonies. SMH.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:48 PM
  #68
shortshorts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,355
vCash: 457
Not meaning to be offensive.. but you are an awful writer. Your point is so diluted with different varying opinions on varying topics.

Basically what you want to say is you'd rather NBC, and all it's other channels show a replay of all the events throughout the night rather than crap like poker/irrelevant crap.

I can see you're upset about that and I probably would be too. Canada has highlight/replays going all evening and night to show what we missing out in the early mornings.

That is a valid complaint, however, there is nothing you can really do about it because you seem to refuse to use your internet. Here's the thing, big companies in any field will cater to the majority. You in fact, are now in the minority of people who don't like using their computer/internet. The only reason I say your complaint is valid because, the majority of the American population work a 9-5 job, which interferes with watching television. Otherwise, you're just being too stubborn not to use your internet/computer.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:25 AM
  #69
kingsholygrail
that dog won't hunt
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 62,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Not meaning to be offensive.. but you are an awful writer. Your point is so diluted with different varying opinions on varying topics.

Basically what you want to say is you'd rather NBC, and all it's other channels show a replay of all the events throughout the night rather than crap like poker/irrelevant crap.

I can see you're upset about that and I probably would be too. Canada has highlight/replays going all evening and night to show what we missing out in the early mornings.

That is a valid complaint, however, there is nothing you can really do about it because you seem to refuse to use your internet. Here's the thing, big companies in any field will cater to the majority. You in fact, are now in the minority of people who don't like using their computer/internet. The only reason I say your complaint is valid because, the majority of the American population work a 9-5 job, which interferes with watching television. Otherwise, you're just being too stubborn not to use your internet/computer.
But I didn't buy a 42" HDTV to watch sports on my computer.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:09 AM
  #70
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
But I didn't buy a 42" HDTV to watch sports on my computer.
That's NBC's problem how?

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:38 AM
  #71
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: Canada
Posts: 84,401
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
But I didn't buy a 42" HDTV to watch sports on my computer.
You know that a lot of HDTVs have internet browsers, right?

__________________
Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:07 AM
  #72
G F O P
Registered Baller
 
G F O P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 260,004
vCash: 500
Conan and Colbert on CNN roasting the delay

Good hilarious comics

But yeah, get with the times. It's hilarious when people complain about being unable to watch "on a laptop or [insert technological device] here". This is the age we live in. I've never had any problem watching on a laptop. There really isn't any problem with doing so unless you are picky and want to watch on a 42 inch. Besides, can't you plug your laptop into your TV?

1) Get Olympic App
2) Plug into TV / Watch on laptop
3) Enjoy

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:04 AM
  #73
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,285
vCash: 500
Just wanted the thread to know I'm working from home today with Two different channels playing the Olympics and my personal laptop streaming as well....

....AND IT FEELS SO GOOD

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:12 AM
  #74
kingsholygrail
that dog won't hunt
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 62,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Conan and Colbert on CNN roasting the delay

Good hilarious comics

But yeah, get with the times. It's hilarious when people complain about being unable to watch "on a laptop or [insert technological device] here". This is the age we live in. I've never had any problem watching on a laptop. There really isn't any problem with doing so unless you are picky and want to watch on a 42 inch. Besides, can't you plug your laptop into your TV?

1) Get Olympic App
2) Plug into TV / Watch on laptop
3) Enjoy
Don't have a laptop and I like doing other things on the computer while watching the Olympics.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:29 AM
  #75
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,285
vCash: 500
LoL this thread!

Two beautiful women love me, my wallet'stoo small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight!

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.