Detroit makes an offer for Jay. Bo

Old
08-12-2012, 07:43 PM
MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Congrats broke 6000 in less than a year
Haha, ya that's crazy!! You'll be at 10k before X-mas.

I rarely posted in my 1st 3 years on here, I've been much more active the last 3.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:46 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB47 View Post
Plus philly lost A. Lilja aswell to surgery for 4 months....So now comes desparation time and maybe we can actually win a trade.
They're so screwed. They'll start the season giving Bryzgalov clinical psychosis after he faces 50 shots a night from the opposition.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:47 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Haha, ya that's crazy!! You'll be at 10k before X-mas.

I rarely posted in my 1st 3 years on here, I've been much more active the last 3.
I don't know who has the most posts but hopefully I can catch them then atleast Calgary will be first in something

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:55 PM
drewskiv

Wow u post alot keep up the good fight

drewskiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:59 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I don't know who has the most posts but hopefully I can catch them then atleast Calgary will be first in something
I once saw a moderator in the trade boards or vbookie boards that was pushing 100 thousand posts.

Old
08-12-2012, 08:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I once saw a moderator in the trade boards or vbookie boards that was pushing 100 thousand posts.
O god I need to step it up

Old
08-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

vCash: 150
Quote:
You only have 89,000 posts to go.

Who do you think you are, Flamesarmstrong22 or something?!

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:06 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
You only have 89,000 posts to go.

Who do you think you are, Flamesarmstrong22 or something?!
He is going for most threads started I see that as the 100 meter dash where as total posts is the long distance run.

Old
08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
MVW

Quote:
Praise be to baby Jesus

FA22 is definitely on his way to record books as well, we are in elite company.

Old
08-12-2012, 09:12 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Going after read makes little sense unless we are going to move a winger as well.
Yeah. I'm thinking more along the lines of acquiring Read and a 1st. Can never have enough 1st round picks going into a potential lockout. And Regardless, Philly is looking like a potential disaster this year, could be a solid pick.

Just rolling with other ideas, like I said, I'm not really going to be bent out of shape if Bouw stays. He could do quite well this year with a new coach and a re-vamped forward roster.

Ideally we still need a top 6 center. My first choice would be Couts, then Berglund, but both teams may not be willing to part with either.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:46 PM
MVW

If Philly offered us Read, Gus and a 1st we would have to think about it. But there's a good chance that none of those players end up being impact guys.

We could send them Babchuk to.

Old
08-12-2012, 09:59 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

If Read, Gus, and a 1st is the offer, I say "The Flames are happy to keep their soft, overpaid d-man."

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:55 PM
MarkGio

Besides Detroit and Philly, is there any teams desperate for a defensemen like Bouwmeester?

Maybe we can snag a couple guys out of the Oilers or maybe the Wild?

Old
08-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
If Read, Gus, and a 1st is the offer, I say "The Flames are happy to keep their soft, overpaid d-man."
I love the fact how Detroit, Philly, St. Louis and Nashville fans like to rip into Jay Bouwmeester. "He's soft, overpaid, a second pairing, a non-factor, can't position, is easy to play against (runs Peca video), etc. And that's why we're still offering this awful package for him."

I mean, if he was as bad as these kids are making him out to be, then they wouldn't be trying to get him in the first place. I think, in this case, the offers are closer to the Calgary end of the fanbase. Normally they're somewhere in between; but this time they're definitely in Calgary's court.

I should stop reading the trade/rumour forum, it's just like an army of people ******** all over Calgary. Literally the last 3 pages of the one on the main forum are "Oh, Calgary, you suck, you haven't made the playoffs in how long?" You just want to be like... wasn't it the mid 70's when you guys last won a cup?

Oh well.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:59 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Besides Detroit and Philly, is there any teams desperate for a defensemen like Bouwmeester?

Wild, no chance with Suter being signed there. Oilers, no interest, for the fact if Boumeester comes alive again with a change of scenery we will constantly be reminded of it. Maybe Nashville, but they won't be terribly desparate, and st Louis is believed to have interest but they won't want to part with a lot of youth to get him.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:00 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Wild, no chance with Suter being signed there. Oilers, no interest, for the fact if Boumeester comes alive again with a change of scenery we will constantly be reminded of it. Maybe Nashville, but they won't be terribly desparate, and st Louis is believed to have interest but they won't want to part with a lot of youth to get him.
Anahiem maybe? Something around Getzlaf perhaps?

Old
08-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Volica

Quote:

St. Louis, Nashville, Minny any baddies like NYI, CBJ, EDM, COL... Tampa had a miserable defense last year... Dunno. A lot of teams could use him.

But you really want to pick on the guys that are in desperation mode.

Detroit has an incredible playoff pedigree that they can't let go of... and with the departure of a generational player, they have a massive hole (plus another one in Brad Stuart) on defense. They are almost forced into getting a top tier defencemen after Suter signed elsewhere.

Philly is going have a disastrous season if they don't manage to get another D-man. Although they like to crap all over Carle, he was their best D-man for most of the season. They didn't do quite a lateral move bringing in Schenn, because I think Carle is still miles ahead of him (and rightfully so, Schenn is stil so young and unproven). Two of their possible top 7 have been recently injured and their captain's career is in jeopardy. So instead of having a top 7 that's pretty solid, they have 4/7 with holes on the first and second pairing.

You want to make them overpay; any day last season Feaster could have picked up the phone and got some kind of package deal from a playoff team that resembled:
"First/Second, 2nd/3rd line Forward, B-prospect" Any single day last season Calgary could have got a package like that. Jay is a first pairing D-man on every single team in the NHL (now that Suter jumped ship), those don't grow on trees. Because these teams are desperate to get him, they'll have to step up their offers, plain and simple.

Give us either: Top 6 younger forward, top 4 younger Dman and a middle prospect
or: Potential top line talent
and you can have Bouw. There are 29 teams in the NHL that can make a package deal for Bouw like these fanboys on HF are suggesting, it's a matter of taking of advantage of desperation.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:10 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Bob Hartley is the change of scenery.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:18 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Anahiem maybe? Something around Getzlaf perhaps?
Very unlikely. For the fact that while Boumeester is a valuable defender, given his contract and underperforming in recent years, although he could rebound yet, teams aren't going to want to give up a ton of value to acquire his services. Though he still is a good defenceman he will not acquire you elite talent like Getzlaf. He will probably get something around: Top 6 player + draft pick(not first round) or bottom 4 d-man + first round pick. Thats where I would put his value at now. If a team is desparate enough he could get top 6 player (young) + 4/5th defenceman+ draft pick that is not a first round pick. That's a return that I could see him getting.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:24 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Very unlikely. For the fact that while Boumeester is a valuable defender, given his contract and underperforming in recent years, although he could rebound yet, teams aren't going to want to give up a ton of value to acquire his services. Though he still is a good defenceman he will not acquire you elite talent like Getzlaf. He will probably get something around: Top 6 player + draft pick(not first round) or bottom 4 d-man + first round pick. Thats where I would put his value at now. If a team is desparate enough he could get top 6 player (young) + 4/5th defenceman+ draft pick that is not a first round pick. That's a return that I could see him getting.
Which is why he shouldn't be traded. It's just not worth it to the Flames.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:26 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Which is why he shouldn't be traded. It's just not worth it to the Flames.
I agree. Unless some team offer a deal that feaster can not say no to, like good young prospects and players, which is unlikely, then there is no need to trade him. If we're out of the playoff picture come trade deadline, then yes I say rid the team of his contract as that shod result in a rebuild.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:38 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
I agree. Unless some team offer a deal that feaster can not say no to, like good young prospects and players, which is unlikely, then there is no need to trade him. If we're out of the playoff picture come trade deadline, then yes I say rid the team of his contract as that shod result in a rebuild.
The owners do not want another rebuild though, and that's the hard thing.

Who knows why exactly, but I don't think they want a repeat of the early 2000s where there were murmurs of the Flames being shipped out of town. The fan base has grown and solidified since then, but it's the only reason I can think of why they do not want to rebuild. That, or they're just delusional enough to think this team can compete. Maybe in 2009, the Flames might've been competitors with an improved supporting cast, but not this much later.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:56 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I think our criteria needs to be either a young (inexpensive) dman that's top 4 ready now, along with a top prospect or mid to better 1st round pick. Or, we go after a young potential #1C (ie. Couturier) or legit top 6 center now.

Any other types of offers I feel do not really help us. I think Bouwmeester will do well under Hartley and unless we get a premium of a return we are better off keeping him.
Bouwmeester should absolutely thrive under Hartley, unless Harts decides to keep him in the defensive mode given the presence of Giordano AND Wideman, which is possible. That said, Bouwmeester with his skill set is practically the ideal defenseman for Hartley's game, so we should see a re-invigorated game from JayBo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB47 View Post
Plus philly lost A. Lilja aswell to surgery for 4 months....So now comes desparation time and maybe we can actually win a trade.
Calgary has won trades in the not-distant past. Calgary won the Phaneuf trade; Ian White was playing better than Phaneuf at the time, Matt Stajan was a 50-point two-way center, Jamal Mayers was basically even-up for Sjostrom except for his age, and Niklas Hagman was a legit top-six scorer with three straight 40-plus point seasons (including the trade year, he was on pace for just shy of 50 that year) the Flames simply decided they were willing to pay half of the salary of NOT to play there, even though he scored 4 points in the 8 games he had played that season before Anaheim picked him up on re-entry. Granted, he scored 27 and 23 the past two seasons and is currently signed to play in the KHL, but he was basically "extra" when you think about the deal in parts.

Phaneuf for White. Two defenseman playing at basically the same level who are close to the same age (White is ten months older). Wash.

Sjostrom for Mayers. Two fourth-line grinders who offer the team toughness and little else. Mayers is significantly older, but is a better player. Wash.

This leaves the interesting part of the deal.

Aulie for Stajan AND Hagman. Of course, in 2008 HF considered Aulie a better prospect that Tyler Myers or Evander Kane. Granted, at the time Stajan was a 26 year-old top-six two-way center and Hagman was a top-six scoring winger. Calgary needed (and still needs) a top-six center. Given the chance, it's possible Stajan could bring back the kind of numbers he had in Toronto.

But I think at worst, the trade was a wash for Calgary. Calgary's problem is that they decided they wanted those guys when they traded for them, then decided they didn't. Mayers was not re-signed at the end of the year. Ian White was traded early the next season with Brett Sutter for Tom Kotsopolous and Anton Babchuk; now THERE'S a trade Calgary lost. Hagman was given up on re-entry waivers almost immediately the following year. Kotsopolous has since been let go. Leaving the effect of the trade as Dion Phaneuf and Keith Aulie for Matt Stajan and Anton Babchuk.

But that "long-term" effect is asset mismanagement. Hagman could have brought back a pick at minimum. Sutter and White could have easily brought back more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Yeah. I'm thinking more along the lines of acquiring Read and a 1st. Can never have enough 1st round picks going into a potential lockout. And Regardless, Philly is looking like a potential disaster this year, could be a solid pick.

Just rolling with other ideas, like I said, I'm not really going to be bent out of shape if Bouw stays. He could do quite well this year with a new coach and a re-vamped forward roster.

Ideally we still need a top 6 center. My first choice would be Couts, then Berglund, but both teams may not be willing to part with either.
Calgary doesn't just need a top-six center, they need a first-line center. They have somewhere between seven and ten "top-six capable" forwards, but only one has significant NHL experience in the middle in the top-six, and that's Matt Stajan. Another two (Backlund and Cervenka) are primarily centers and could be used in that capacity, but aren't realistically going to be thrown on line #1 and expected to match up at that level. Cammalleri, Hudler, or Tanguay could potentially center that first line... but all have been more effective on the wing thus far in their careers.

What needs to happen is Calgary trading JBo and a winger for a #1 center and a #3/4 defenseman. I'll gladly throw a Franzen/Quincey deal into the discussion.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:10 AM
pdd

Quote:
Anaheim doesn't give up Getzlaf unless they're getting Bouwmeester AND Iginla. And it's probably in concert with a deal sending Ryan or Perry out for a Getzlaf replacement.

Hmm...

Getzlaf, Beauchemin, and Hiller for Bouwmeester, Iginla, Tanguay, Glencross, and Kiprusoff

Perry, Fowler, and two 1sts for Malkin

Seem like fair deals more or less?

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:31 AM
MVW

The Flames did not win the Phaneuf deal. The Leafs were an extremely poor team at the time of the trade and we got players that over exceeding due to the roles they were put in. None of the guys we got were bad players, but they were not what we needed.

The bad asset management came from a result of getting quantity in lieu of quality. We did not need players that are very easy to find in FA for a borderline franchise dman.

We probably could of landed Spezza for Dion if we added a 1st. It was not a good move and set back this franchise. The only positive from it was that we learned getting spare parts in a trade is not the way to go.