Notices

Detroit makes an offer for Jay. Bo

Old
08-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Northern Heat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
If there is a bidding war we could get a serious overpayment for Jbow.
This is what I'm focusing on and getting excited about.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
@ HLM, also I do agree with you that you can find really good players in that range. So perhaps my logic is flawed, however I think Couturier is exactly what our franchise needs to be successful going forward especially when you consider the match ups we are going to have against the Oilers going forward. Couturier would be an invaluable asset in that sense with his defensive ability.
I agree Couts is a great young talent. But it's a band-aid and shallow solution. We give away a 1st rounder, a 1st round pick (Backlund) and a freely obtained asset in Bouwmeester for a first round pick asset in Courts. That's poor asset management. I understand trades aren't always calculated in picks, but it goes to show that what this organization REALLY needs to be successful is coming to work ready for work, including draft day.

Drafting and development needs to be seen as fixed, otherwise we can obtain all the great talent in the world and we'll still be forever trying to fill our depth with talent. Imagine we always traded 3 assets for 1? We'd have 1 good top line while trading away the entire top 9. That's not how successful clubs are built.

It bugs me when people say we should blow it up and rebuild when there's clearly a problem with our current BUILDING system. I want to see good talent come up the pipes, otherwise every rebuild we attempt will eventually result in the same thing.

There was a comparison of Courts to Toews. Well every draft has it's Toews, Courts, Datsyuks, Keslers, Perrons, etc. When the Flames have shown they can find these players, then we know our team can be trusted in making these 3 for 1 trades.

So that's my rant.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Totally get where you are coming from, but I go back to the fact that we would attempting to acquire our #1C which is the most valuable position on an NHL club. And I don't view it as a bandaid solution either because he would be 19yrs old next season and would be a part of our club for over a decade.

Again, it is absolutely a ton to give up and I agree that giving up 3 assets for 1 (well actually 2 because I'd demand on getting back Gus) cannot or should not always be done. I still feel that none of the assets we would be giving up would have the impact that Couturier would have on our roster. I also think his defensive awareness and presence would be equal or greater than what Jbo currently provides to our team. And lastly, I'd only make that deal because of the depth we have with Reinhart, Horak and Janko in our system. Backlund is replaceable. What would hurt us the most would be losing our 1st.

If we made that deal, Feaster would have to acquire a 2nd some how.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:07 PM
MarkGio

@MVW: I'd still like to see if Bouwmeester returns to his "appreciated" form. And then his value will be so high that a straight up trade for Courts looks generous. As much as a #1 centre is important, so is a top pairing defensemen on any team. Backlund might still become a solid defensive centremen playing against top line foes in our zone, assuming he can win faceoffs.

And that first rounder? That could be anything...

Last edited by MarkGio: 08-10-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old
08-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
@MVW: I'd still like to see if Bouwmeester returns to his "appreciated" form. And then his value will be so high that straight up trade for Courts looks generous. As much as a #1 centre is important, so is a top pairing defensemen on any team. Backlund might still become a solid defensive centremen playing against top line foes in our zone, assuming he can win faceoffs.

And that first? That could be anything...
I have to admit, I am obviously caught up in all this hoopla talk of trading Jbo

That is a very good point though, the best move could very well be keeping Bouwmeester. If Hartley gets him returning to his Florida form, then I honestly think we can challenge for the division. I'm just always trying to keep an eye on tomorrow, and this may be a rare opportunity to cash in. I know this, unless we get top dollar for Jbo or get a key asset back, I would not move him at all.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Trae

I really feel comfortable in this situation for once. If the return is as good as it is being rumored to be, I would be happy to trade him if it means we win a high profile trade for once. At the same time, if we keep him, I'm completely cool with that just for the anticipation of seeing what he can do in an offensive system like Hartley's. Seems like a win-win unless Feaster trades him for "win-now" assets like Briere or anybody else above the age of 30 instead of young roster players and picks/prospects, that would suck. Although it would be pretty awesome if we made the playoffs and had Briere / Cammalleri become playoff Gods together on the same team lol.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Seems like a win-win unless Feaster trades him for "win-now" assets like Briere or anybody else above the age of 30 instead of young roster players and picks/prospects, that would suck.
Oh please don't.......

Old
08-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Northern Heat

Quote:
I'm just always trying to keep an eye on tomorrow, and this may be a rare opportunity to cash in. I know this, unless we get top dollar for Jbo or get a key asset back, I would not move him at all.
This basically sums up my opinion. When's the last time we had a chance to cash in for something big? A bidding war could be awesome. That said, I'm also interested to see how J-Bo does under Hartley.

So very torn......

Old
08-11-2012, 10:58 AM
SaneQ

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.co...medium=twitter

SaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:04 AM
The Gnome

If Philly won't give up Scheen or Couts, then I'd really take a look at Reid. Kid looked pretty solid and was underrated on a stacked young team in Philly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm with most flames fans who would be interested to see how Bouw does under Hartley. But I get the feeling if you were ever to trade Jaybo, the time is now.

I would not be surprised to get a solid deal, even with his cap hit. Philly's blueline has been destroyed and keeps getting worse. They need to make a trade in the worst kind of way.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:05 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
If Philly won't give up Scheen or Couts, then I'd really take a look at Reid. Kid looked pretty solid and was underrated on a stacked young team in Philly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm with most flames fans who would be interested to see how Bouw does under Hartley. But I get the feeling if you were ever to trade Jaybo, the time is now.

I would not be surprised to get a solid deal, even with his cap hit. Philly's blueline has been destroyed and keeps getting worse. They need to make a trade in the worst kind of way.
Going after read makes little sense unless we are going to move a winger as well.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:46 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Flyers are screwed. According to CapGeek the Flyers are at 51 contracts. They have to make a deal to rid themselves of a contract or two.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I like Read, and he can play center, he was actually just converted to wing last season. I'm pretty sure he played C during his time in College. With that said, I don't know that I'd be thrilled to see him be the primary return for Jbo. He offers things that we lack no question, things that help win games, but he does have a ceiling. Backlund is 2-3 years younger and has come up in our system. We are bursting at the seams with wingers (and bottom 6 centers), so I don't know that he should be our target.

I think our criteria needs to be either a young (inexpensive) dman that's top 4 ready now, along with a top prospect or mid to better 1st round pick. Or, we go after a young potential #1C (ie. Couturier) or legit top 6 center now.

Any other types of offers I feel do not really help us. I think Bouwmeester will do well under Hartley and unless we get a premium of a return we are better off keeping him.

Old
08-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

vCash: 550
Quote:
I like Read, and he can play center, he was actually just converted to wing last season. I'm pretty sure he played C during his time in College. With that said, I don't know that I'd be thrilled to see him be the primary return for Jbo. He offers things that we lack no question, things that help win games, but he does have a ceiling. Backlund is 2-3 years younger and has come up in our system. We are bursting at the seams with wingers (and bottom 6 centers), so I don't know that he should be our target.

I think our criteria needs to be either a young (inexpensive) dman that's top 4 ready now, along with a top prospect or mid to better 1st round pick. Or, we go after a young potential #1C (ie. Couturier) or legit top 6 center now.

Any other types of offers I feel do not really help us. I think Bouwmeester will do well under Hartley and unless we get a premium of a return we are better off keeping him.
0 point trading Bouw if the major return is Read. We luckily have no reason to trade him, so it has to be an amazing deal to see him move, the luxury of the scenario really.3

Edit. It's why it always makes me smile when Philly guys are like Read, 2nd and cap dump for bouw... We're not the ones who have 3 nhl D-men going into next season lol.

Last edited by Volica: 08-12-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:40 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
0 point trading Bouw if the major return is Read. We luckily have no reason to trade him, so it has to be an amazing deal to see him move, the luxury of the scenario really.3

Edit. It's why it always makes me smile when Philly guys are like Read, 2nd and cap dump for bouw... We're not the ones who have 3 nhl D-men going into next season lol.
I'm with those that wouldn't pull the trigger for Read. However I'm with those that wouldn't pull the trigger at all

Old
08-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I'm with those that wouldn't pull the trigger for Read. However I'm with those that wouldn't pull the trigger at all
If I see Couturier's name on the table, and the only major asset I see on the table is Bouw, I go ahead with that. Couturier - Bartschi will be a force together in like 3-4 years.

It will be tough to get those big minutes back, maybe Gio gets his big chance at major responsibility? Snag Carlo off FA.

Old
08-12-2012, 03:53 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
If I see Couturier's name on the table, and the only major asset I see on the table is Bouw, I go ahead with that. Couturier - Bartschi will be a force together in like 3-4 years.

It will be tough to get those big minutes back, maybe Gio gets his big chance at major responsibility? Snag Carlo off FA.
I agree I would do that in a second and bring back Hannan and run with
Gio - Wideman
Sarich - Brodie
Hannan - Butler
Smith - Babchuck

Old
08-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I agree I would do that in a second and bring back Hannan and run with
Gio - Wideman
Sarich - Brodie
Hannan - Butler
Smith - Babchuck
I mean, it's not overly impressive... but... considering we'd have a 1st line center/Lw playing together for many many years going forward, I do it.

Old
08-12-2012, 04:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I mean, it's not overly impressive... but... considering we'd have a 1st line center/Lw playing together for many many years going forward, I do it.
I know that we are trying to win now but getting Couts to play with Sven for years is to good to pass up and I beleive this team is going for offense and I think adding Couts could be a big help.

Old
08-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Wreckening
Rookie User

I still think we're better off with him than without, but, if someone like Couturier is in the offer I think Feaster has to jump all over that one.

Wreckening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckening View Post
I still think we're better off with him than without, but, if someone like Couturier is in the offer I think Feaster has to jump all over that one.
Agreed. He has to.
Once that name's on the table, you grab it. Defense will hurt this year, but it has to be done.

Old
08-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I think most sound to be in agreement that if Couturier was offered, that we make that deal. Our D would definitely be lacking, but the good news is that we have many forwards. Perhaps then we swing something for Backlund in a deal for someone like Blum. I feel confident that is easier to replace D, than it is get a #1C. While we won't get another top pairing dman easily, I'd try to target one young dman via trade, resign Hannan, and then hope that Smith continues to develop and hope that one of young guys will be ready soon.

Either way, a Sven/Couts line would be sick as heck for a long, long time.

Old
08-12-2012, 05:10 PM
MonahanTHEMoneyMan

Plus philly lost A. Lilja aswell to surgery for 4 months....So now comes desparation time and maybe we can actually win a trade.

MonahanTHEMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Hey I broke 5,000 posts, it only took me 6 years to do it.

Old
08-12-2012, 06:17 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Hey I broke 5,000 posts, it only took me 6 years to do it.
Congrats broke 6000 in less than a year