HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

McCaber16's GM Connected League Xbox 360: Sim Only *Taking Reserves**

Old
08-02-2012, 01:30 PM
mccaber16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganfan1 View Post
Hey guys I think I read somewhere that you can't re-sign players during the season so if that's the case we will need different rules for UFA's.

I'm looking forward to slowly rebuilding Colorado, I think it will be a fun challange while still have some good pieces to work with at the start.
Really? I hope this isn't the case! Thanks for the heads up though. We'll have to re-think this.

But does everyone understand my point here with the resigning? I want there to be some factor that the GM cannot control that will lead to a UFA testing the FA market. Whether it be some formula for amount of players you can resign or whatever else, I'm not sure.

mccaber16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Apparently if you hold down the A button it tells your players to shoot so we can see what we make out of that lol
Everybody has that guy on their beer league team who's always yelling "SHOOT" from the bench, right? That's totally gonna be me.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
mccaber16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
My friend wants to play if that's possible.

He'll take any team left, and his GT is MotoExtreme.

Also, I'll have to think a bit about trading Tarasenko
Tell your buddy he can choose between SJ and FLA

Also, make him register here. I'm going to be PMing info eventually.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

it takes away the strategy of trading up or trading down

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:37 PM
mccaber16

Quote:
it takes away the strategy of trading up or trading down
Well, you could always share portions of your draft rankings and make a trade on chance. Much, much more difficult though.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:44 PM
mccaber16

I'm going to look into creating a forum for just our league with a thread for team trading blocks, team needs, private trade negotiations etc etc. Apparently you can't freely message other teams and say what you want. This forum would act as our messaging for trade negotiations and discussion.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:45 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Yeah it will be confusing at first. But since i will most likely own the #1 overall pick in the first entry draft barring the lottery doesn't screw me like it did this year for the real jackets lol

unless you offer crosby or giroux I aint trading down

Old
08-02-2012, 01:45 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaber16 View Post
I want there to be some factor that the GM cannot control that will lead to a UFA testing the FA market. Whether it be some formula for amount of players you can resign or whatever else, I'm not sure.
HFBoards poll

But yeah, if the goal is to prevent people from always re-signing their UFAs, put something in. Maybe put all the UFAs at a certain rating threshold in a pot and randomly select a certain number who "refuse to re-sign"? Could be done for RFAs (smaller number) as well.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:55 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

As long as you stay under the cap at all times u should be allowed to sign back whoever you want. Trading is honestly the best part of GM mode not losing your star players to free agency because one team may have a tiny bit more cap room so they can make an offer barely larger than yours that the player will accept.

Key words there are at all times. By no means can you exceed the cap whether its the season or offseason. If you can do that your free to sign back whoever you want so there's no signing a player and then trading him for a draft pick to get back under the cap.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:57 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

For that burying rule i think montreal should be ther only acception. I think burying gomez should be allowed but thats it.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:57 PM
mccaber16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
HFBoards poll

But yeah, if the goal is to prevent people from always re-signing their UFAs, put something in. Maybe put all the UFAs at a certain rating threshold in a pot and randomly select a certain number who "refuse to re-sign"? Could be done for RFAs (smaller number) as well.
Hmmm. I'm going to look into the distribution of the most recent FA pools and see if i can develop a consensus of what the FA crop consists of. (ex. 10 players 80 and above, 50 players 75 - 80, or whatever)

I'm thinking something along the lines of all UFAs rated 90 above put into one pool, 85-89 in other etc etc and based on a weighted lottery dependent on your place in the standings choose players who can't be resigned.

Ex. Horton (BOS) is UFA, and so is Whitney (EDM) at the end of next season. Let's assume they are in the same class. Every player in that class will be put into a draw and a predetermined amount of players will be chosen to be "testing the FA market". However let's say Boston wins the conference and Edmonton finished last so Horton has his name once in the lottery and Whitney has it in there 5 times. Something like that. Only issue is that we have to find a way to do it online as I wouldn't expect the GM's of this league to trust me to do this on my own.

Now, this may be too complicated but I'm just thinking out loud.

I think we should probably just allow teams to resign RFA with no restrictions. Quite rare they don't anyways.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:59 PM
mccaber16

Quote:
For that burying rule i think montreal should be ther only acception. I think burying gomez should be allowed but thats it.
Yea that rule is going to be tricky. Because you can only buyout players at the end of the season leaving the only option during the season to trade the player or place on waivers without sending to the minors. But then again, I guess you have to sign good contracts lol

Old
08-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Be prepared for offers on offers on offers for alot of your players since you took my blues away.
Well, who are you thinking about trading?

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:08 PM
dbridge
Bluth Lockout 2015

This is really a tough thing to work out to make it more fun and active. Free agency would be pretty dull filled with a bunch of 3rd/4th liners, but teams shouldn't have to lose too many of their top players. I actually kind of like the idea of randomly selecting a couple of UFAs in a certain overall range that will test the market. The original team could still go after them, but it pretty much becomes a bidding war. At the same time though, I kind of feel like a team should designate like a franchise player that can't hit the market. For example, as Chicago, I don't think Toews would ever hit the open market, so he could be my one protected player; but you would pick that one player, and not be allowed to change it unless you trade that player away or they retire.

dbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:08 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

The simplest thing sounds like a minor league cap. An alternative could be to implement a full-time waiver system so that no matter when you send a player down, he has to clear waivers (if eligible). If the player is good enough, he'll get claimed. If not, who cares about him being stashed?

Old
08-02-2012, 02:10 PM
mccaber16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbridge92 View Post
This is really a tough thing to work out to make it more fun and active. Free agency would be pretty dull filled with a bunch of 3rd/4th liners, but teams shouldn't have to lose too many of their top players. I actually kind of like the idea of randomly selecting a couple of UFAs in a certain overall range that will test the market. The original team could still go after them, but it pretty much becomes a bidding war. At the same time though, I kind of feel like a team should designate like a franchise player that can't hit the market. For example, as Chicago, I don't think Toews would ever hit the open market, so he could be my one protected player; but you would pick that one player, and not be allowed to change it unless you trade that player away or they retire.
Good call with the franchise tag. Makes a lot of sense.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:13 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
I like this, but in exchange for that protection, that player gets a full NMC until he retires (or you let him walk). Can't trade or send to minors.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:14 PM
dbridge
Bluth Lockout 2015

Quote:
The simplest thing sounds like a minor league cap. An alternative could be to implement a full-time waiver system so that no matter when you send a player down, he has to clear waivers (if eligible). If the player is good enough, he'll get claimed. If not, who cares about him being stashed?
I like this idea, where any 1-way contract has to pass through waivers to go to the minors. Plus, so long as the salary cap is consistent with past years, if you have a Gomez making $7mil, that space wouldn't be available during the off-season, so I think that's enough punishment as it is for having a bad contract.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:16 PM
mccaber16

Quote:
Well the waiver system will already be in there but this is the problem I see with that last scenario you said. I understand what you are saying that if the players is not good enough than who cares but consider this. Let's say its UFA time and you want I dunno barret jackman. If hes asking for 4M teams are going to offer big 3 and 4 year deals not caring if he reaaaaaally declines later because they can just bury the guy.

In reality there are some teams in the league that can do this right now but maybe 10 if not less teams are comfortable doing this. In our league essentially EVERY team won't care about this. The prices and term for these older players will go through the roof.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:19 PM
mccaber16

Quote:
I like this idea, where any 1-way contract has to pass through waivers to go to the minors. Plus, so long as the salary cap is consistent with past years, if you have a Gomez making $7mil, that space wouldn't be available during the off-season, so I think that's enough punishment as it is for having a bad contract.
Hmmm yea that is true. Usually players you plan to have in the minors will count towards the offseason cap because it just tallies the top 23 paid players. We will have to see what they do in GM Connected. Once the game comes out we will have to sim through a few test leagues and see whats done. We should start compiling a list of things to check before we fire up the league.

Edit: Thinking it over. I think as long as this is the case, that is that the top 23 players calculate your off season cap I think that's more than enough of a deterrent.

Last edited by mccaber16: 08-02-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old
08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Well the waiver system will already be in there but this is the problem I see with that last scenario you said. I understand what you are saying that if the players is not good enough than who cares but consider this. Let's say its UFA time and you want I dunno barret jackman. If hes asking for 4M teams are going to offer big 3 and 4 year deals not caring if he reaaaaaally declines later because they can just bury the guy.

In reality there are some teams in the league that can do this right now but maybe 10 if not less teams are comfortable doing this. In our league essentially EVERY team won't care about this. The prices and term for these older players will go through the roof.
Hmmm, I see. Why not just limit individual AHL salaries then? Must be < x% of NHL cap.

Edit: or the top 23 thing. Whatever's easiest to enforce IMO.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:31 PM
dbridge
Bluth Lockout 2015

Quote:
Hmmm yea that is true. Usually players you plan to have in the minors will count towards the offseason cap because it just tallies the top 23 paid players. We will have to see what they do in GM Connected. Once the game comes out we will have to sim through a few test leagues and see whats done. We should start compiling a list of things to check before we fire up the league.

Edit: Thinking it over. I think as long as this is the case, that is that the top 23 players calculate your off season cap I think that's more than enough of a deterrent.
I'm fine with that. The waiver system for every 1-way contract might just be a huge pain to go through, so the off-season salary cap works.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Tell your buddy he can choose between SJ and FLA

Also, make him register here. I'm going to be PMing info eventually.
SJ if they are still available.

He can't post here yet since he's on vacation, so i've been texting him about it.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:33 PM
mccaber16

I am curious to see what goes into a player deciding which team to sign with. For example let's say in our league we get to bid on Semin. If one team offers a 1 year 10M dollar deal and another offers a 5 year deal paying 7 a year, which does he choose?

Old
08-02-2012, 02:36 PM
mccaber16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
SJ if they are still available.

He can't post here yet since he's on vacation, so i've been texting him about it.
Alright, no problem. SJ is his.