HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NFL and Fantasy Football Talk

Old
08-28-2012, 02:45 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 500
Here's my team, also known as the Champions

QB Eli Manning
QB Joe Flacco
QB Matt Hasselbeck - He'll take back his spot from Locker.

WR Miles Austin
WR Malcolm Floyd
WR Desean Jackson
WR Sidney Rice
WR Doug Baldwin
WR Plaxico Burress

RB Frank Gore
RB Reggie Bush
RB Stevan Ridley
RB Felix Jones
RB Tim Hightower

TE Rob Gronkowski
TE Ed Dickson

K Sebastian Janikowski

D/ST - Baltimore (Wont be as monstrous without T-Sizzle & Ball so Hard U)

Last edited by LiquidSnake: 08-28-2012 at 02:56 AM.
LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:45 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Fullclip took Wilson exactly before I was going to and it's paid off as he's going to be the starter for the Seahawks.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Invictus146

I like the team - even with the super early drafting of Janikowski
http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2012...ntasy-football

Although he should be fine

Invictus146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

I dono why, but I am extra excited about this NFL season, and fantasy season.

Maybe the NHL lock out worries, dono.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:04 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

Snake's team redeems itself in the later rounds. I dunno about banking on Hasselbeck though. Nice depth on RB.

WRs are awfully injury prone....

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:34 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus146 View Post
I like the team - even with the super early drafting of Janikowski
http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2012...ntasy-football

Although he should be fine
I got ripped nicely for that.

Old
08-28-2012, 03:35 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
Snake's team redeems itself in the later rounds. I dunno about banking on Hasselbeck though. Nice depth on RB.

WRs are awfully injury prone....
I'm gambling on some of those guys to have bouncebacks. And I think Baldwin will take a step forward.

Old
08-28-2012, 03:43 PM
arsmaster

Anybody have experience with auction drafts?

I'm in a league that is trying one for the first time, done a couple mocks...any tips?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:32 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

I'm in a league that is trying one for the first time, done a couple mocks...any tips?
I've been in one that had auction waivers. Not much experience in the total draft but I guess you're going to have to overpay for the big name players.

my best advice is google for tips on auction drafts.

Old
08-28-2012, 04:34 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

I'd also like to state that Brandonlee and arsmaster have been added to our keeper league. So we're set @ 12 people.

draft is Sunday night.

Old
08-28-2012, 04:51 PM
pdefenestrator

Quote:

Is it a keeper league with guys already on rosters or are you starting with a blank slate?

pdefenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 05:05 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdefenestrator View Post
Is it a keeper league with guys already on rosters or are you starting with a blank slate?
blank slate, non keeper league, custom scoring....

I have a pretty good idea or what I want to do, just wondering if anybody out there had some experience induced tips.

cheers

Old
08-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Invictus146

Ha - for some fun: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/...-team/form.php (just fill-in a fake email if you wish). Gives a full analysis of your team with % estimates of playoffs etc.

Some modifications to scoring settings will of course be needed

Old
08-28-2012, 06:17 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Ha - for some fun: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/...-team/form.php (just fill-in a fake email if you wish). Gives a full analysis of your team with % estimates of playoffs etc.

3 of the 4 guys really likes my team to make the playoffs.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:54 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

Quote:

Haha, they don't like my team much.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Inv, that site is frickan amazing.

I think everybody should put there analysis here, would be great to read.

Here is mine.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/...m=8A89dSAw66X3

Quote:
Overview:

Your receivers are the strongest part of this team. While no team can be expected to be above average at all three core positions (QB/RB/WR), you are in the precarious position of being a bit weak at two of them.

Although you should not be counted out yet, you may need to be active on both the waiver wire and in trades to turn this team into a legitimate contender. The best way to achieve that might be to sacrifice some of your wide receiver strength to gain multiple players than can help your roster now. It's generally easier finding quarterbacks and wide receivers on the waiver wire than quality running backs.

Keep an eye out for quarterbacks like Cam Newton last year, Michael Vick and Josh Freeman in 2010, Brett Favre in 2009, Matt Cassel and Kurt Warner in 2008, and Derek Anderson in 2007. All were available cheap in August, and all contributed to fantasy championship teams. Likewise, running backs like Peyton Hillis, LeGarrette Blount, and Mike Tolbert all could be had dirt cheap at the draft or shortly after. You are likely going to need to land some of this year's top waiver plays, so pay close attention to increased workloads, targets, injuries, etc.

Players we particularly like on this team include Darren McFadden, Brandon LaFell, Jake Locker, and Victor Cruz. We have all these guys ranked ahead of where they are typically being drafted.
Bottom line:

With great inseason management, we think you have about a 60 percent chance of making the playoffs.
With good inseason management, we think you have about a 40 percent chance of making the playoffs.
With average inseason management, we think you have a 23 percent chance of making the playoffs.
It goes on and on about more stuff, amazing site.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Invictus146

Thought it would be a fun read (again make sure to change the position/scoring settings and, in particular, the number of teams that make the playoffs).

That said, of course take it with a grain of salt. It's a cool bit of code, but ultimately based of a single experts analysis - although I think 3 or 4 separate ones are available.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Tebow the movie!

I really hope he does well on the jets

Old
08-29-2012, 04:29 AM
fullclip
Prepare to die

Quote:

Wow, that site is really great. Really cool to get in-depth analysis on your team. Here's what mine said.

Quote:
Overview:

The quarterback position looks good, and we like your overall strength at the tradionally less important positions as well. Despite not being strong at running back and receiver, we think this team should be the league favorite or very close to it.

Nevertheless, we feel compelled to mention that the RB and WR positions make us a bit nervious and are likely to require some attention throughout the year. We'd feel much better if we knew you were committed to scooping up 2012's breakout players at RB and WR. Getting one or more of these would take this team to the next level.

Players we particularly like on this team include Julio Jones, Russell Wilson, Rashad Jennings, Michael Bush, and Garrett Hartley. We have all these guys ranked ahead of where they are typically being drafted.

Bottom line:
With great inseason management, we think you have about a 90 percent chance of making the playoffs.
With good inseason management, we think you have about a 85 percent chance of making the playoffs.
With average inseason management, we think you have a 79 percent chance of making the playoffs.
Pretty happy with this assessment. Hope they're right!

Last edited by fullclip: 08-29-2012 at 04:36 AM.
fullclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:10 AM
pdefenestrator

Quote:
blank slate, non keeper league, custom scoring....

I have a pretty good idea or what I want to do, just wondering if anybody out there had some experience induced tips.

cheers
I've done many auctions before. I'd say very successfully, if I weren't pretending to be modest. My experience though is with baseball keeper auction, so maybe it doesn't port too well.

Try early on to figure out how conservative/aggressive the bidding is. If it is starting off conservative, try to snatch up the guys you want fast. My experience though is that even if an auction starts off a little conservatively, it starts to get aggressive fast. Once that happens, my primary goal in an auction is to try to bleed everybody of their money fast on guys I don't want, so I can get more of the players I do want cheap. Usually I do this through strategically putting players on the auction block. Ways to make this happen:

Know which owners are fans of which teams. If you have a lot of homerism, throw out the homerific guys early. Make them fight over and spend too much on that local player. As a corollary, there are no sleepers on the local team. Keep that in mind.

Follow everybody else's team as closely as yours and try to create bidding wars. i.e. if there are (say) 3 teams without QBs, only 2 good ones left on the board, and you already have your QB: Put the QBs to bid. You don't want them, you don't need them, but get them to bleed out their money.

Try to identify which teams would also want the players you want. Offer up for auction other players they might be interested in as a substitute.

2 warnings: You don't want people to realize that you are throwing out guys you think are junk; if they do, then they will act accordingly. Start them out with reasonable starting bids, be a little active in the early bidding on a guy, etc. For example, lets say you don't want the risk of Payton Manning. If you put him up for bid for $1 and then start checking your facebook on your phone, guys will get fishy. And of course, be careful not to wind up with the guys you are trying to get other people to buy!

--

As an aside, be wary of draft inflation. If players early on are going under value, then players later will be going over value. If players early on are going over value, then later players will go under value.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:37 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdefenestrator View Post
I've done many auctions before. I'd say very successfully, if I weren't pretending to be modest. My experience though is with baseball keeper auction, so maybe it doesn't port too well.

Try early on to figure out how conservative/aggressive the bidding is. If it is starting off conservative, try to snatch up the guys you want fast. My experience though is that even if an auction starts off a little conservatively, it starts to get aggressive fast. Once that happens, my primary goal in an auction is to try to bleed everybody of their money fast on guys I don't want, so I can get more of the players I do want cheap. Usually I do this through strategically putting players on the auction block. Ways to make this happen:

Know which owners are fans of which teams. If you have a lot of homerism, throw out the homerific guys early. Make them fight over and spend too much on that local player. As a corollary, there are no sleepers on the local team. Keep that in mind.

Follow everybody else's team as closely as yours and try to create bidding wars. i.e. if there are (say) 3 teams without QBs, only 2 good ones left on the board, and you already have your QB: Put the QBs to bid. You don't want them, you don't need them, but get them to bleed out their money.

Try to identify which teams would also want the players you want. Offer up for auction other players they might be interested in as a substitute.

2 warnings: You don't want people to realize that you are throwing out guys you think are junk; if they do, then they will act accordingly. Start them out with reasonable starting bids, be a little active in the early bidding on a guy, etc. For example, lets say you don't want the risk of Payton Manning. If you put him up for bid for $1 and then start checking your facebook on your phone, guys will get fishy. And of course, be careful not to wind up with the guys you are trying to get other people to buy!

--

As an aside, be wary of draft inflation. If players early on are going under value, then players later will be going over value. If players early on are going over value, then later players will go under value.
Thanks.

Exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

Old
08-29-2012, 02:48 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Tebow the movie!

I really hope he does well on the jets
I don't. I hate the Jets and I hate Tebow so it's a perfect combination. I hope he fails miserably.

I'm really, really extra excited for the NFL season to get going. The possibility of an NHL lockout has me extra grateful that the NFL is around. I also feel like with this being the 3rd year of the pool (and my 3rd year of playing fantasy football) that I'm actually starting to grasp the game instead of just picking names I know, which has me excited. Last year and the year before any wins I had I felt were mostly due to luck whereas this year if I win a lot of games I'll feel like I actually knew what I was doing somewhat when I drafted.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:06 PM
pdefenestrator

LOL your website thinks my team sucks 5% chance of playoffs!

Old
08-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
I don't. I hate the Jets and I hate Tebow so it's a perfect combination. I hope he fails miserably.

I'm really, really extra excited for the NFL season to get going. The possibility of an NHL lockout has me extra grateful that the NFL is around. I also feel like with this being the 3rd year of the pool (and my 3rd year of playing fantasy football) that I'm actually starting to grasp the game instead of just picking names I know, which has me excited. Last year and the year before any wins I had I felt were mostly due to luck whereas this year if I win a lot of games I'll feel like I actually knew what I was doing somewhat when I drafted.
Why do you hate tebow exactly?. Have you watched his mic up videos on youtube, the guy is positive at everything he does, in bad moments and good.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:43 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Why do you hate tebow exactly?. Have you watched his mic up videos on youtube, the guy is positive at everything he does, in bad moments and good.
I don't care if he's positive, he's a terrible quarterback. I also hate "Tebowing" with a passion. I hate the undeserved hype he receives. I hate hearing about the crappy Jets all offseason/preseason. You know the guy sucks when he's slated to back up Mark Sanchez. Mark Sanchez is awful.

I just want Tebow to go away.