HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXII: Doan Go Breakin My Heart Edition

View Poll Results: So where do you think we go from here?
RayRay will sign a UFA quality wing in the preseason 4 2.67%
RayRay will sign a UFA grinder because thatís just how we roll 13 8.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a quality wing 19 12.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a grinder 2 1.33%
RayRay will give Adams a $11.5 million raise. 22 14.67%
RayRay will swing a trade deadline trade for a quality wing 62 41.33%
RayRay will buy himself $12 million of bling and rock this house 10 6.67%
Who gives a ****? Edward and Bella broke up, OMG 18 12.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2012, 08:27 AM
  #326
Rocket of Russia
Needs more Tang
 
Rocket of Russia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I have no idea if he'd be available but Bryan Little would be a great addition. Scheifele pushing for a spot next year, signing Jokinen and Burmistrov and Antropov both capable top 9 centers, maybe they'd be willing to move him.
I would be very interested in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkovsby View Post
little is a nice player...but he's a little little
You can do better...

Rocket of Russia is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 08:45 AM
  #327
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
For sure. Shift disturber who can hold onto pucks down low and torture D-men and drive the net to torture the goalie.
Yup, despite losing the series he was all over the Wings D and they had a hard time handling him. Would also solve our pp issues of who will be going in front of the net, you don't even have to tell Ryan

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 09:36 AM
  #328
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kiel
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
So, looks like Malkin won't be playing in the memorial Lokomotiv match after all. Seems he's having some sort of issue with a visa. Which is odd, because after the WC he said in interviews he wanted to go to the Euro matches in Poland but couldn't due to passport issues. He had no problems coming to the states, though. I'm guessing there's some sort of work visa involved in that? I've never been to a country that requires a visa, so I really know nothing about them ...
I know the EU is very VERY particular with it's Russian border, because whoever gets into Poland gets into every EU country for argument's sake, but that still seems like some serious organizational fail there. Have they just started planning this last weekend or what? He is one of the best hockey players in the world, there is zero reason for him not to get a visa for this. There are currently a bunch of Russians in London, so I know it can be done.

TorstenFrings is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 09:46 AM
  #329
Shmak
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
I just watched last year's Pens vs. Kings matchup last night (November I think), and I have to say that for Bortuzzo's first NHL game I was impressed. Watching him gave me much more confidence that he could step it up this season and play well for us. While tall, he looked a bit skinny though, hopefully he fills out a bit over the summer. Engelland and surprisingly Martin both played well that game too. A little reminder that our D was effective early last season.

Also that was a great game to watch purely for entertainment value, in addition to being a "what if the pens went to the finals" situation. I'll have to find some of the other games last season where our rookies got some NHL time. It makes me feel better about going into October with the roster we have.

Shmak is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 09:52 AM
  #330
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmak View Post
I just watched last year's Pens vs. Kings matchup last night (November I think), and I have to say that for Bortuzzo's first NHL game I was impressed. Watching him gave me much more confidence that he could step it up this season and play well for us. While tall, he looked a bit skinny though, hopefully he fills out a bit over the summer. Engelland and surprisingly Martin both played well that game too. A little reminder that our D was effective early last season.
Bort, Strait and Despres all played pretty well last year, and I wouldn't be worried at all about starting 2 of them (if we made a move on the blueline).

Riptide is online now  
Old
08-01-2012, 09:53 AM
  #331
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 35,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
i guess Vitali Yachmenev was a legit NHL 1st line winger in 1995/96?

the fact Kunitz can fill a hole in the top 6 doesn't make him a 1st liner.. put him out there without Sid and Geno and he looks like a good 3rd liner.
He was a 50 and 60 point top line winger with the Ducks too. He's been a top line winger on two Stanley Cup teams. At his worst he's an average 2nd liner. If Geno and Sid are inflating his numbers, great. That in and of itself is a valuable ability for us. We've seen just as many guys come in and their numbers stayed right where they were without them such as Feds, Satan and Poni. So if Kunitz can add 15 points a year by playing with Sid, great!


Last edited by Ogrezilla: 08-01-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:02 AM
  #332
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Bort, Strait and Despres all played pretty well last year, and I wouldn't be worried at all about starting 2 of them (if we made a move on the blueline).
I know i'm repeating myself but I think they should start the season off with 8 D-men before shipping one out. Give it 3 or 4 weeks and give them all a shot. If Strait and Bortuzzo look too good to give up on then you always have the option to send Despres back down. At worst they up their value and you can get more for them in a trade or if they don't play well then they would probably pass through waivers unclaimed. Win/win.

bigd is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:13 AM
  #333
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 35,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I know i'm repeating myself but I think they should start the season off with 8 D-men before shipping one out. Give it 3 or 4 weeks and give them all a shot. If Strait and Bortuzzo look too good to give up on then you always have the option to send Despres back down. At worst they up their value and you can get more for them in a trade or if they don't play well then they would probably pass through waivers unclaimed. Win/win.
ya I agree. Unless one can be a part of a real trade I want them to be given a shot. I don't want to see Strait or Bort dumped for a pick though.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:17 AM
  #334
invictus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,364
vCash: 500
Doan is used to being "the man" and is fairly outspoken, if I am not mistaken. Anyone think that could have potential chemistry issues pop up?

invictus is online now  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:20 AM
  #335
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 35,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Doan is used to being "the man" and is fairly outspoken, if I am not mistaken. Anyone think that could have potential chemistry issues pop up?
Guerin was the same way. Who knows how it would actually go, but maybe he'd step in and give a valuable veteran voice. Or maybe he would cherish the opportunity to worry more about playing and less about leading. I can't see that being a reason not to want him. I doubt he'd come here if being "the man" is something he expects.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
  #336
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 38,377
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
If it's taken Doan this long, then I truly believe he's just looking for any reason to go back to Phoenix. It doesn't seem he's actively shopping, yet just bluffing to show Phoenix he wants a better situation. That's ultimately fair because their ownership is in quite the mess, and I think as Pens fans we can empathize a little.

I do believe he might sign with another team because nothing changes in Phoenix, but you can just tell with how much time this is taking that he wants to be back home. Wasn't it Whitney who just said it was a joke how they went about certain things? I give Doan credit for that.

ColePens is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
  #337
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
If it's taken Doan this long, then I truly believe he's just looking for any reason to go back to Phoenix.
Good. I hope he does.

The numbers being tossed around for his services are ludicrous. And I like what Doan would potentially bring to the table. For the most part.

Better off rolling with what we have now and reassessing later. There are no prudent or feasible options remaining, IMO.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:49 AM
  #338
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal
 
SCUDeriMISSILE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Good. I hope he does.

The numbers being tossed around for his services are ludicrous. And I like what Doan would potentially bring to the table. For the most part.

Better off rolling with what we have now and reassessing later. There are no prudent or feasible options remaining, IMO.
Yep, perfectly said.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:54 AM
  #339
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,949
vCash: 500
FWIW the NHL extended the PHX arena setup another 30 days yesterday so the new owner thing could be arranged more smoothly. Doan is going to stay a Coyote (according to TSN he's been speaking with said owner-to-be); it's almost a foregone conclusion. This is all just his agent trying to drive up the price for PHX. Make the new owner pay up.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:58 AM
  #340
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,421
vCash: 500
I wasn't holding my breath.

I guess Tangradi gets his shot this year. Hopefully a trade sooner than later.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
  #341
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I wasn't holding my breath.

I guess Tangradi gets his shot this year. Hopefully a trade sooner than later.
He's no Megna!

I hope Tango does well in camp and earns his shot. If he's not panning out after a month or so, then by all means, trade away at the deadline.

Depending on how Martin fairs the first half, and how Dumoulin does we could ship

Martin
Tango
TK
2nd

out for a legitimate talent at the deadline, and if we don't end up signing them we haven't lost the farm / anything we can't easily replace.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:06 AM
  #342
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
FWIW the NHL extended the PHX arena setup another 30 days yesterday so the new owner thing could be arranged more smoothly. Doan is going to stay a Coyote (according to TSN he's been speaking with said owner-to-be); it's almost a foregone conclusion. This is all just his agent trying to drive up the price for PHX. Make the new owner pay up.
Oh well, good for him I guess. As much as I would have liked him at that price that's rumored he wants, no thanks. I will be happy with Kostitsyn but not holding my breath

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:09 AM
  #343
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Oh well, good for him I guess. As much as I would have liked him at that price that's rumored he wants, no thanks. I will be happy with Kostitsyn but not holding my breath
Non-breath-holding a wise strategy. I'd bet money we're either going to make a hockey trade with someone, or Tango is going to get his shot, assuming he has a good camp. After all, he posted a Hockey News lineup on his Facebook page that had him in Top 6. Must be true!

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:14 AM
  #344
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Non-breath-holding a wise strategy. I'd bet money we're either going to make a hockey trade with someone, or Tango is going to get his shot, assuming he has a good camp. After all, he posted a Hockey News lineup on his Facebook page that had him in Top 6. Must be true!
And I have no problem with that. Like the fact that he also pencils himself in there

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
  #345
Von Malkin*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
I hope ray at least signs kosititsyn. He seems to fit the pens style of play. He's the only respectable free agent after doan, who i hope retires at this point.

Von Malkin* is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:21 AM
  #346
AZPenguins
Registered User
 
AZPenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Country: Zimbabwe
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
And I have no problem with that. Like the fact that he also pencils himself in there
I like the confidence it shows. Here's to hoping he can bring it during cap/preseason.

AZPenguins is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:21 AM
  #347
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
I hope ray at least signs kosititsyn. He seems to fit the pens style of play. He's the only respectable free agent after doan, who i hope retires at this point.
There are still a few that might help, Kostitsyn, Huselius if 100% healthy and recovered and Eric Fehr who I think could help us

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:22 AM
  #348
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Oh well, good for him I guess. As much as I would have liked him at that price that's rumored he wants, no thanks. I will be happy with Kostitsyn but not holding my breath
You would have liked him at 7ish million over multiple (most say 4) years?

You must be a big fan.

I would have welcomed Doan at around 6 for two years. And that's absolutely pushing it.

Ninja Edit: Nevermind... totally mis-read you. My bad.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:24 AM
  #349
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 35,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
You would have liked him at 7ish million over multiple (most say 4) years?

You must be a big fan.

I would have welcomed Doan at around 6 for two years. And that's absolutely pushing it.
I think you misread what he typed. Comma isn't placed very well.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:28 AM
  #350
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,611
vCash: 500
Indeed I did. Edited above. Been a long morning.

Offseason has pretty much been a bust, so far as getting a new shiny toy. But hey... at least we locked up Smegma. Or whatever.

Calder Cup or bust!


Last edited by BlindWillyMcHurt: 08-01-2012 at 11:33 AM.
BlindWillyMcHurt is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.