HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXII: Doan Go Breakin My Heart Edition

View Poll Results: So where do you think we go from here?
RayRay will sign a UFA quality wing in the preseason 4 2.67%
RayRay will sign a UFA grinder because thatís just how we roll 13 8.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a quality wing 19 12.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a grinder 2 1.33%
RayRay will give Adams a $11.5 million raise. 22 14.67%
RayRay will swing a trade deadline trade for a quality wing 62 41.33%
RayRay will buy himself $12 million of bling and rock this house 10 6.67%
Who gives a ****? Edward and Bella broke up, OMG 18 12.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think you misread what he typed. Comma isn't placed very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Indeed I did. Edited above. Been a long morning.

Offseason has pretty much been a bust, so far as getting a new shiny toy. But hey... at least we locked up Smegma. Or whatever.
Sorry, english isn't always perfect since I was forced to attend french school when I was a kid

Old
08-01-2012, 12:34 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

No need to apologize.

Wish I were fluent in several languages.

Often I have problems with one.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Indeed I did. Edited above. Been a long morning.

Offseason has pretty much been a bust, so far as getting a new shiny toy. But hey... at least we locked up Smegma. Or whatever.

Calder Cup or bust!
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
I hope ray at least signs kosititsyn. He seems to fit the pens style of play. He's the only respectable free agent after doan, who i hope retires at this point.
He's the most skilled guy left after Doan, but the respectable part is debatable. His former teams don't seem to think he is worth keeping around despite his skill and price tag (which hasn't been bad to this point). Why would you hope Doan retires? He's got a couple good years left at the least. We get him or he retires, is that it?

Old
08-01-2012, 12:40 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Thought what?

What ever could you mean, C Dub?

Old
08-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I certainly wasn't going to be the first to introduce the Smegma nickname idea. Thankfully Willy has even less shame than I have.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Thought what?

What ever could you mean, C Dub?

I'm as gentile as it gets. Trust me, I know smegma when I see it.

/toomuchinfo

Old
08-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

*shudder*

Old
08-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Old
08-01-2012, 12:51 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Outstanding.

This thread is goin' places, I tells ya!

Old
08-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

"What the hell's going on in here? You kids get back to work and leave the smegma to the professionals."

Old
08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
"What the hell's going on in here? You kids get back to work and leave the smegma to the professionals."

oh no, it's the dude with the flashlight

Old
08-01-2012, 01:02 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
I know the EU is very VERY particular with it's Russian border, because whoever gets into Poland gets into every EU country for argument's sake, but that still seems like some serious organizational fail there. Have they just started planning this last weekend or what? He is one of the best hockey players in the world, there is zero reason for him not to get a visa for this. There are currently a bunch of Russians in London, so I know it can be done.
Honestly, I was surprised that the Euro organizers decided to have Russia competing in Poland in the first place, considering the history there ... how the events played out was rather inevitable. I'm still not certain that it's fair to penalize the team for the conduct of the fans, especially considering that the Polish fans weren't model citizens themselves.

But, I digress ... Thanks for the insight into the visa/border control.

Yeah, it does seem like some organizational fail there, but at the same time, there are plenty of other Russians that will be attending ... so why is Malkin the only one having issues? Maybe I'm just overly sensitive. I'm old enough to remember the Cold War and considering that he had to practically defect just to play in Pittsburgh, the whole thing just hits a strange note, I guess. I'm just happy that he hasn't had any problems coming to the states.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

The visa problem could possibly be on the Russian front as well. Every Russian I know has had horror stories about their visas getting mysteriously lost or not processed properly on the Russian side. An improperly processed visa will get your travel rights curtailed pretty heavily, even if you're a citizen.

(And as a side note, these people who've had these problems are high-profile professors and businessmen-- not just your ordinary Iosef Schmirnov)

The EU's border policy is really, really strict as well; they're always suspicious of the Russian/Ukrainian borders because that's where a ton of illegal contraband/immigrants come over. Add Russia's hideous domestic politics into it, and frankly I'm surprised the EU hasn't just put up another Berliner Mauer along its Eastern Front.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:43 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Honestly, I was surprised that the Euro organizers decided to have Russia competing in Poland in the first place, considering the history there ... how the events played out was rather inevitable. I'm still not certain that it's fair to penalize the team for the conduct of the fans, especially considering that the Polish fans weren't model citizens themselves.

But, I digress ... Thanks for the insight into the visa/border control.

Yeah, it does seem like some organizational fail there, but at the same time, there are plenty of other Russians that will be attending ... so why is Malkin the only one having issues? Maybe I'm just overly sensitive. I'm old enough to remember the Cold War and considering that he had to practically defect just to play in Pittsburgh, the whole thing just hits a strange note, I guess. I'm just happy that he hasn't had any problems coming to the states.
Didn't even think about that. Was still fuming too much that they made monkey noises at my fave teams new right back all through the EURO game against the Czechs.
The culture around soccer includes a lot of racism and violence and it is the worst in Russia, because their league does nothing to penalize such behaviour and fans come to expect it as part of the entertainment. I hear what you are saying about their history and that had a lot to do with the escalation and aftermath, but the riot itself would probably not have been prevented by just letting them play in the Ukraine.

Malkin would easily get a visa for any country in Europe, if he wanted to play in their league, half of them would throw him citizenship on top of it. Actually, he should be able to easily get a visa for just this too, this sounds seriously baffling to me. Maybe Mario is just a way better organizer than whoever is ****ing this up as we speak.
Wasn't he also just in Sweden/Finland like two months ago? If he had just gone to Poland from there (not practical for this obvs, but possibly the EURO) no one would have bothered him at all. Bunches of Russians come to Germany to study and travel all over Europe to countries they have no specific visa for, no1curr.

When I needed a visa for Russia (which admittely has no bearing on this, since I am German and was going TO Russia, but anyway) the passport needed to remain valid for at least another 6 months after the visa ended, so maybe Poland has some baffler like that in their rules as well. *shrugs*

/essay

Old
08-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
oh no, it's the dude with the flashlight
Seriously... I was looking at that picture and thought it too funny to pass up. Like anywhere you might find yourself, if you were up to no good... and that guy confronts you with his hat and flashlight. "Oh No! We're pinched for sure, man! It's the fashion model turned Security Boy! Surrender now before he beats us with his walkie talkie!"

Old
08-01-2012, 01:51 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
The EU's border policy is really, really strict as well; they're always suspicious of the Russian/Ukrainian borders because that's where a ton of illegal contraband/immigrants come over. Add Russia's hideous domestic politics into it, and frankly I'm surprised the EU hasn't just put up another Berliner Mauer along its Eastern Front.
Yeah, Germany is practically threatening to close the Polish-German border down again every time they **** up and let Russians through and then turns around and demands easier one day travel possibilities for the (pre-WWII-German, but now Russian nationality) minorities in the border area.
If I were Poland I'd have told the EU to go **** themselves a long time ago. That outer Eastern EU border is the only one of real consequence right now and everyone is just basically "dance, puppet, dance" with the Polish government about it.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

TK and a 7th for Angela Merkel. She will tighten our defensive strategy in ways we can't and don't want to imagine.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 08-01-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Jaded-Fan

I keep seeing trade Marin threads on the trade board, mostly started by Pens' fans. I just do not get it. The idea made some sense when we seemed to have use for cap space and Z was still on the team. And we seemed like we might get Suter. All that has changed and it looks like Shero is not going to spend a dime of the enomous cap space we already have except to stock WBS. Now we want $5 million more? I am failing ro see the sense in this. And you all really want to have several rookies on defense on a team that many have as one of the cup favorites?

Move aside that though, some of you who remain Pirate fans only need to look at AJ Burnett for a parallel. He is the best pitcher on the Yankees's payroll. I sense that Martin will do similar and rebound strongly. Martin is much more likely to have a bounce back year as not this coming year. I would rather it be on the Pens when it happens.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:14 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
TK and a 7th for Andrea Merkel. She will tighten our defensive strategy in ways we can't and don't want to imagine.
The Czech Republic counteroffers 50 kegs of Cesky Budvar, Vaclav Havel's (former) mustache, and a signed picture of Jiri Slegr (pictured).

Old
08-01-2012, 02:15 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I keep seeing trade Marin threads on the trade board, mostly started by Pens' fans. I just do not get it. The idea made some sense when we seemed to have use for cap space and Z was still on the team. And we seemed like we might get Suter. All that has changed and it looks like Shero is not going to spend a dime of the enomous cap space we already have except to stock WBS. Now we want $5 million more? I am failing ro see the sense in this. And you all really want to have several rookies on defense on a team that many have as one of the cup favorites?

Move aside that though, some of you who remain Pirate fans only need to look at AJ Burnett for a parallel. He is the best pitcher on the Yankees's payroll. I sense that Martin will do similar and rebound strongly. Martin is much more likely to have a bounce back year as not this coming year. I would rather it be on the Pens when it happens.
One of the silver linings to this off-season is nobody can use the "Trade ________" for cap-space trope anymore.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:25 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
TK and a 7th for Andrea Merkel. She will tighten our defensive strategy in ways we can't and don't want to imagine.
You can either have Angela (German chancellor) or Alexander (soccer playmaker for AC Milan/FC Genua). Not sure who Andrea is. Germany would totally do Angela for TK though, we'd even throw in Guido Westerwelle. At least TK can tell us when it is a Tuesday and maybe improve the Berlin hockey team somewhat, that is borderline useful to us, so easily > current government.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post

I'd deal Martin, but only for a good forward asset - nothing to do with cap space. His loss was addition by subtraction in the playoffs, even when replaced by a couple rookies.

Martin may rebound. But given his skillset, even then he's not going to provide much that we don't already have outside of his experience, which really hasn't been of any benefit to this point.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I'd deal Martin, but only for a good forward asset - nothing to do with cap space. His loss was addition by subtraction in the playoffs, even when replaced by a couple rookies.

Martin may rebound. But given his skillset, even then he's not going to provide much that we don't already have outside of his experience, which really hasn't been of any benefit to this point.
He had a really rough year last year, but I prefer him over a full time Lovejoy, Strait or Bortuzzo. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't be 100% comfortable with those guys as regulars

Old
08-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
He had a really rough year last year, but I prefer him over a full time Lovejoy, Strait or Bortuzzo. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't be 100% comfortable with those guys as regulars
So you'd prefer Martin over bottom pairing prospects and a 7th/8th dman? No kidding. Those guys wouldn't be replacing Martin. Despres, Dumoulin, Morrow would be.

Closed Thread