HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXII: Doan Go Breakin My Heart Edition

View Poll Results: So where do you think we go from here?
RayRay will sign a UFA quality wing in the preseason 4 2.67%
RayRay will sign a UFA grinder because that’s just how we roll 13 8.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a quality wing 19 12.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a grinder 2 1.33%
RayRay will give Adams a $11.5 million raise. 22 14.67%
RayRay will swing a trade deadline trade for a quality wing 62 41.33%
RayRay will buy himself $12 million of bling and rock this house 10 6.67%
Who gives a ****? Edward and Bella broke up, OMG 18 12.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post

Malone played all throughout college after he was drafted, and excelled in his first shot in the big leagues. He played the whole season of his rookie year if I'm not mistaken, and never spent time with the Baby Penguins. Of course, you could argue that our team was much crappier back then, but still, he immediately adjusted to the NHL.
You really can't compare Malone's early play in the league to Tangradi. Malone immediately stepped onto a simply terrible team and was given the most ice time of any forward on the roster (just under 19 minutes per). It's not just because he played well, but because there were no other options. Malone was playing over 15 minutes a game even at the beginning of the season when he had something like 1 goal and 2 assists in the first 10 games of the year. That team did not have one forward score over 50 pts. There was literally no other option other than to just play him. I would not be surprised at all if Tangradi was on that 2003-04 team and played just as well due to the opportunity.

To use a term that people here love to parrot when it comes to Tangradi, Malone didn't "earn" his ice-time with good play, there was simply a vaccum of ice-time and someone had to fill it. Malone did, and to his credit, after a slow first 8-10 games, he picked it up and played well. Tangradi never gets that type of opportunity and likely never will. In my opinion, it's just stupid for the Pens not to play Tangradi with Sid to start the year, regardless of "earning" playing time. It behooves the Pens to find out if Tangradi can play a top-6 game. The regular season is meaningless, use it to see if the young guys can play bigger roles, if they can't, try to make a trade since there's nothing on the free-agent market. What's the upside to playing a guy like TK or Dupuis on the top-line at the beginning of the year? Everybody knows what they bring and they can be plugged into that role if Tangradi fails. We don't know if Tangradi can play with Sid, why not find out?

Funny thing is, TK would of been a clear first-line winger on that 03-04 squad and now, despite a massive talent infusion in the roster, TK might be a top-line wing this year. Scary.

And with that, I'm done talking about Tangradi until about November, when he's rotating on the 4th line with Adams, Vitale and Glass and Sid is playing with Dupuis and TK and I'm banging my head off the wall.

Last edited by Sivek: 08-03-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Completely OT, but I just watched the Samurai trilogy based on the discussion in the last FA thread. Great stuff.

Up next is Throne of Blood and Red Beard.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
You really can't compare Malone's early play in the league to Tangradi. Malone immediately stepped onto a simply terrible team and was given the most ice time of any forward on the roster (just under 19 minutes per). It's not just because he played well, but because there were no other options. Malone was playing over 15 minutes a game even at the beginning of the season when he had something like 1 goal and 2 assists in the first 10 games of the year. That team did not have one forward score over 50 pts. There was literally no other option other than to just play him. I would not be surprised at all if Tangradi was on that 2003-04 team and would play just as well due to the opportunity.

To use a term that people here love to parrot when it comes to Tangradi, Malone didn't "earn" his ice-time with good play, there was simply a vaccum of ice-time and someone had to fill it. Malone did, and to his credit, after a slow first 8-10 games, he picked it up and played well. Tangradi never gets that type of opportunity and likely never will. In my opinion, it's just stupid for the Pens not to play Tangradi with Sid to start the year, regardless of "earning" playing time. It behooves the Pens to find out if Tangradi can play a top-6 game. The regular season is meaningless, use it to see if the young guys can play bigger roles, if they can't, try to make a trade since there's nothing on the free-agent market.

Funny thing is, TK would of been a clear first-line winger on that squad and now, despite a massive talent infusion in the roster, TK might be a top-line wing this year. Scary.
Great post. Not much to add other than just a quick glance at some of the names from that team

Kraft
Fata
Koltsov
Surovy
Holzinger
Eastwood.... And that ain't Clint by the way.

I think the Kuhn could be top 6 on that squad, so not a big shocker Malone made it.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Completely OT, but I just watched the Samurai trilogy based on the discussion in the last FA thread. Great stuff.

You might wanna check out TCM next Thursday.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes C Addle View Post
Great post. Not much to add other than just a quick glance at some of the names from that team

Kraft
Fata
Koltsov
Surovy
Holzinger
Eastwood.... And that ain't Clint by the way.

I think the Kuhn could be top 6 on that squad, so not a big shocker Malone made it.
That team was so bad, that Malone and Fata were on the first line and Morozov was their best fwd.

Think about that....

Old
08-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Sty1877

Any updates on Doan? Does he still want 7m/year O_O

Old
08-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sty1877 View Post
What is there to update? We're not getting him? He's procrastinating until Jamison comes up with $20m more to buy the Coyotes?

Shero should have seen the writing on the wall a while ago and said **** this with how this has been played by Doan.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:09 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sty1877 View Post
Yeah, he now wants $ 8 million a year, a 10% yearly cut of the parking revenues, a 15% yearly cut of concession revenues and a 20% stake in ownership the minute his contract expires, which must be at least 5 years in length for any team that signs him.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Til the End of Time

this was a post by TakeYOrpik from the ray shero thread that i liked a lot...

Quote:
Sometimes the right move just isn't available. Shero isn't the only GM trying to make his team better, but as he's shown numerous times, he will make a move when it benefits the team. Turn off the hate-on you have for Shero and get some perspective.
this is generally how i feel about this offseason. i dont think the penguins have adequately addressed their weaknesses, but i also dont think solutions were/are possible.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
this was a post by TakeYOrpik from the ray shero thread that i liked a lot...

this is generally how i feel about this offseason. i dont think the penguins have adequately addressed their weaknesses, but i also dont think solutions were/are possible.
Plus I'm sure Shero realizes the trade deadline is at the end of February and not August 3rd. He's in no hurry to make a move unless it makes sense for the team.

It's highly doubtful the team that goes into the season in October will be the same team that goes into the playoffs.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Plus I'm sure Shero realizes the trade deadline is at the end of February and not August 3rd. He's in no hurry to make a move unless it makes sense for the team.

It's highly doubtful the team that goes into the season in October will be the same team that goes into the playoffs.
true but im expecting a ton of teams to be in the playoff hunt come the deadline, with astronomical prices.

we balk at the cost of players in free agency, and we'll probably balk at the cost of players at the deadline.

not sure if im using the word "balk" appropiately, but i hope that sentence makes sense.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:

Last year should give you doubts. Last year at the deadline they didn't want to pay the high costs of rentals.

It could easily be the same this season.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
true but im expecting a ton of teams to be in the playoff hunt come the deadline, with astronomical prices.

we balk at the cost of players in free agency, and we'll probably balk at the cost of players at the deadline.

not sure if im using the word "balk" appropiately, but i hope that sentence makes sense.
You is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
You might wanna check out TCM next Thursday.
Damn! Thanks man.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Last year should give you doubts. Last year at the deadline they didn't want to paay the high costs of rentals.

It could easily be the same this season.
Last year they were steamrolling teams for a while and what was the talk? We're adding the best player in the world at the deadline.

I think it'll be a bit different this time around if everyone is healthy.

I think a lot of people saw our defense going to hell after Ottawa scoring 8 on us that one game and the coaching staff never fixed it. I doubt any player acquisition would've fixed our issue. We had the worst matchup you could ask for, for that particular Pens team last season.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:

Deadline prices are usually always high. Who says Shero has to wait until the deadline though? He has 6 months in between to do something.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Last year they were steamrolling teams for a while and what was the talk? We're adding the best player in the world at the deadline.

I think a lot of people saw our defense going to hell after Ottawa scoring 8 on us that one game and the coaching staff never fixed it. I doubt any player acquisition would've fixed our issue. We had the worst matchup you could ask for, for that particular Pens team last season.
The thing is, they were actually bad throughout the season in decent spurts that got masked by winning.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
The thing is, they were actually bad throughout the season in decent spurts that got masked by winning.
They were back to back losses from the Islanders and needed one more win or one Rangers loss away from winning the conference? Almost winning the conference equals bad throughout the season?

Old
08-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
They were back to back losses from the Islanders and needed one more win or one Rangers loss away from winning the conference? Almost winning the conference equals bad throughout the season?
Just because they win the game doesn't always equate to playing solid defensively.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Quote:
Unfortunately a record doesn't give a detailed explanation as to how a team wins.

EDIT: and what UM said.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post

my man. you're in for some treats. i found Red Beard a tad plodding but ultimately rewarding. Throne of Blood has to be on anyone's short-list for best Macbeth adaptation (i like Polanski's version too, yay blood!) and best Shakespeare adaption as well (Welles' Chimes at Midnight will always be the best for me).

Old
08-03-2012, 06:53 PM
redsono93

What would it take to get either Grabner or Kyle Okposo? Visnovsky backed out of Ilanders deal I wonder if they would have interest in Martin. As much as I wanted Parise and Nash a more realistic approach for a trade is a Grabner and or Okposo. Too bad we couldn't get both

Old
08-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
my man. you're in for some treats. i found Red Beard a tad plodding but ultimately rewarding. Throne of Blood has to be on anyone's short-list for best Macbeth adaptation (i like Polanski's version too, yay blood!) and best Shakespeare adaption as well (Welles' Chimes at Midnight will always be the best for me).
Looking forward to it.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
What would it take to get either Grabner or Kyle Okposo? Visnovsky backed out of Ilanders deal I wonder if they would have interest in Martin. As much as I wanted Parise and Nash a more realistic approach for a trade is a Grabner and or Okposo. Too bad we couldn't get both
If I recall correctly, NYI is on Martin's Limited NTC

Old
08-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

i bet you three farm-fresh free-range eggs that NYI is on Martin's no-trade list.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:

that really is the biggest question mark this season.

i would argue that the penguins have lost their defensive accountability that they developed under therrien and maintained for the first year or so under bylsma. people really underestimate how important that was to the penguins success.

the question is, can byslma get them back on track defensively? im kinda worried about that, to be honest.

Closed Thread