HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXII: Doan Go Breakin My Heart Edition

View Poll Results: So where do you think we go from here?
RayRay will sign a UFA quality wing in the preseason 4 2.67%
RayRay will sign a UFA grinder because thatís just how we roll 13 8.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a quality wing 19 12.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a grinder 2 1.33%
RayRay will give Adams a $11.5 million raise. 22 14.67%
RayRay will swing a trade deadline trade for a quality wing 62 41.33%
RayRay will buy himself $12 million of bling and rock this house 10 6.67%
Who gives a ****? Edward and Bella broke up, OMG 18 12.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Mr. T

vCash: 500
What's the story with Bobby Butler? He played pretty well in college and the A and was decent in his first NHL season (granted, it was a garbage team).

Old
07-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Well played on the title, Seal man!

Old
07-30-2012, 09:04 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Kind of random, but what the heck happened to Eric Fehr?

Old
07-30-2012, 09:04 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Trade Lovejoy and call it an offseason.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
What's the story with Bobby Butler? He played pretty well in college and the A and was decent in his first NHL season (granted, it was a garbage team).
I'd like to take a shot at him. I'm not sure how much interest other teams have in him but I really think he might be the type of guy we should be looking at. Granted I haven't seen him play much and only watched a bunch of his highlights but he looks like he knows how to find open ice, receive a pass then do more with it than hit the goalie in the chest. I think he'd be an upgrade to TK. TK is tenacious but that's about it. He's not going to the net the same way it appears Butler does. I didn't mention him b/c I figured he has been talked about or is being talked about but then I saw your post and figured I'm not the only one who missed the conversation (assuming one has taken place) so I might as well add my 2 cents .

Old
07-30-2012, 09:09 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

One month ago...think of all the grand dreams of free agency we had.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Kind of random, but what the heck happened to Eric Fehr?
I think his shoulders are ****ed.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:19 PM
dogthateats

Crosby slashed them

Old
07-30-2012, 09:43 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

Am I the only one who thinks Paul Martin could have a bounce back year? I mean, remember how awful Niskanen was in 2011? Comes back this past year and had a very solid year. Also, in 2010-2011, I remember Martin being pretty freakin solid.

If Martin has a bounce back year, that would be HUGE for us. As well as Orpik but for some reason, I don't feel as confident with him. He's been regressing since our Cup run.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosePuckingPenguins View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Paul Martin could have a bounce back year? I mean, remember how awful Niskanen was in 2011? Comes back this past year and had a very solid year. Also, in 2010-2011, I remember Martin being pretty freakin solid.

If Martin has a bounce back year, that would be HUGE for us. As well as Orpik but for some reason, I don't feel as confident with him. He's been regressing since our Cup run.
I agree. Honestly, I expect the team to play a much smarter defensive game in general. I think we'll see us playing more like we did in 2010-2011 when Sid and Geno were out except with Sid and Geno in.

I'm not saying we'll be an elite defensive team, but I bet we finish top 10 in GAA.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosePuckingPenguins View Post

A number of us, including me and Cole have said just that a few times. So yeah, a few of us agree.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

If 329 eggs results in 40 goals I guess we can keep'em.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:09 PM
mpp9

Kulemin, Clutterbuck, Setoguchi, Stewart. Please Shero. You'd make this fan so happy.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:18 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Kulemin, Clutterbuck, Setoguchi, Stewart. Please Shero. You'd make this fan so happy.
I really like Clutterbuck, but unless we're shipping Kennedy out there really isn't a place for him.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
I really like Clutterbuck, but unless we're shipping Kennedy out there really isn't a place for him.
Maybe if we shipped Cooke instead? I know I'd rather have the guy with an edge.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Maybe if we shipped Cooke instead? I know I'd rather have the guy with an edge.
they wouldn't consider moving Clutterbuck for either of them. I guess they could be a part of it, but it would take a decent + on top of either.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:00 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
they wouldn't consider moving Clutterbuck for either of them. I guess they could be a part of it, but it would take a decent + on top of either.
Yes. That's the real reason Clutterbuck won't be sent anywhere. They do actually value his presence, as it should be. He'd fit so perfectly on so many teams. Pittsburgh is definitely one of them.

Realistic moves - Murray is the one I want to see. Our defense needs something. We cannot bank on young guys filling the roster because the roles they are replacing do not fit their actual talents. That's the part that bothers me about our defense. We have Niskanen and Martin... and those two could be replaced by guys like Despres and Morrow. But instead, we try to add all 4 and only have 2 defensive dmen in Orpik, who had a terrible year, and Engo who is a great #6. Our defensive unit is not complementing itself well at all.

Letang/Despres is enough puck movement. We need some defense. And we absolutely need Bylsma to be on board with a defensive zone change.

As for offense - I want Shero to wait and make a good hockey trade for the right guy. It's worked so far and I'm on board for it working again.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:00 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
My point is that Clutterbuck's name doesn't fit in with Stewart et al because he's not a top-6 candidate.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
My point is that Clutterbuck's name doesn't fit in with Stewart et al because he's not a top-6 candidate.
ya I agree. Though I think right now he'd compete for the open spot with Geno and Neal and likely win it. I don't see him as a long term top 6 guy though.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
correct. i'd even go so far as to say coveting Clutterbuck is a tad indulgent. if we're going to expend our collective efforts in wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin' and plannin' and dreamin' for a winger, it should be for "Crosby's Neal" or "Malkin's Kunitz."

Old
07-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I am really curious to see if Cooke will bring back a little bit more of his old game this year. If he could play at about 90% of his old dick level and just cut out the really bad stuff I would be thrilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
correct. i'd even go so far as to say coveting Clutterbuck is a tad indulgent. if we're going to expend our collective efforts in wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin' and plannin' and dreamin' for a winger, it should be for "Crosby's Neal" or "Malkin's Kunitz."
Ya I agree. I'd like him, but its just not a position we really need to be worrying about right now. Similar to upgrading our 3rd D pairing. Sure, it could get better but it's not the top of the priority list. If we bring in forwards they should be better than Dupuis. Unless they are young with a lot of room to improve, I'd rather Tangradi get that shot over a mediocre fill-in.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:12 PM
gordie

Wouldn't mind taking a shot with Scott Hannan on that list just to add a little experience and depth.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Wouldn't mind taking a shot with Scott Hannan on that list just to add a little experience.
I think we have at least 8 or 9 defensemen as good or better than Scott Hannan. Just out of waiver eligible guys we have 7 I'd rather see get to play.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:14 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Wouldn't mind taking a shot with Scott Hannan on that list just to add a little experience and depth.
No thanks. Hannan was pretty bad for Calgary this past year and we already have defenseman better than him.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
07-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

It's bed time but I want to leave a discussion starter so I can wake up and have something to do

Where do you think our top 6 ranks against others in the league? Personally I think we still have to have one of the best, even with Dupuis on Sid's line and the winner of the TK/Tangradi/Road-Cone competition on Geno's.

Closed Thread