Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Help me understand Stajan

Old
07-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Thumper17

vCash: 500
Help me understand Stajan

From a different thread, want an answer, this was specifically to "The Gnome".

What is the deal with your hard-on for Stajan. What you dont seem to understand is this.

Stajan is not the answer. Stajan is done with this team. He is playing out his contract and leaving and outside of an unholy good camp will likely be waived.

He played DECENTLY, DECENTLY mind you, between JAROME IGINLA AND ALEX TANGUAY. If you dont put up career numbers between those two then you dont play hockey, and he put up DECENT numbers.

Cammy was drafted as a Center, he knows the position. He hadnt played it since he was drafted though. Why are you not defending his numbers as much as Stajans? Cammy was hrut at the beginning of last year. Started to get back on track a little, then was traded to a team he's familiar with, sure. But they're playing a different system then he played with them last time, and that he played in in montreal. So he comes off an injury, is just getting his stuff together then gets traded to a different system and gets put in a different position. It's a wonder his numbers weren't worse.

Cammy is a much better player then Stajan. FACT. Is a natural center. FACT. Was in the same situation as Stajan, plus a trade. FACT.

Please tell me why 4th liner plug one trick pony Stajan gets the first line over Cammy?

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:26 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
You don't understand pms?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:31 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
That's some straight up hate right there.

Maybe Cammy hasn't ever handled centre in the NHL and he's 30 years old whereas Stajan has been a two-way centre his whole NHL career?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:34 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Stajan is a good two-way center, where as Cammy hasn't really played Center in the NHL. I'd give Stajan another chance on the top line, he did fine last season when given the chance.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:38 PM
FlamesFan6612
#timerixonwho?

Stajan actually looked good late last season in the top six, its time to give him a chance i think

FlamesFan6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Stajan was the best player on the ice after the spark bartschi gave the flames last year then got sent back to portland.

Haatley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:02 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
He is our best natural center. He's better than Backlund therefore he wins by default.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Some Other Flame

1. As mentioned, Stajan is the Flames best natural centre.

2. He can win faceoffs. The importance of that is fundamental, it's astonishing you can't seem to understand that.

3. Cammalleri has played mostly wing in the NHL. What he did in juniors over a decade ago is irrelevant at this point. He's played a handful of games in the middle in the NHL, and while doing well, it's way too soon to say he'll be the 'answer.'

4. You seem eternally incapable of understanding that nobody whatsoever expects Stajan to lead the Flames to the Cup. He is however, considered to be a center that can perhaps be decent enough between Iginla and Tanguay to allow the team to squeak into the playoffs, which at the moment, is the stated goal of the organization.

5. Finally, given the craptacular nature of the Flames centre depth, penciling in any of Backlund, Stajan, Cammalleri, or Cervenka as the first line centre is pointless. If no trades are made, we'll probably see all four of those guys get at least one shift on the first line by the end of game two.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
You don't understand pms?
From what I understand, it seems like someone has PMS.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

He's by no means a #1 center, but we don't have anyone better. Cammalleri is much better on the wing. He's by far out best guy in the faceoffs, which can make a HUGE difference, both offensively and defensively. It gives us more control over the puck. The issue with Cammalleri at center is that they struggle to gain control (since he's terrible at faceoffs)

Last edited by Skobel24: 07-30-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:31 AM
Gary83*

Wow, Darth Vader level of hate right there Thumper.

Anyone that thinks that Cammy is a better option for regular, 1st line shifts is absolutely stupid.

I don't even like Stajan, but short of Cervenka being the second coming of Big Joe Nieuwendyk or Backlund taking a huge step forward and looking more like Berglund then we really do not have any better options.

Alot of people can't seem to understand that alot of the deficiencies with our top line last year and even the team in general, was the inability to win a god damn faceoff (something Stajan is the best on the team at doing) you simply won't get those quality opportunities if you're always chasing the puck.

That's not to say Cammy can't handle spot duty as C, as he proved he can, but this team needs to play to their strengths and Cammy's is when he's on the wing.

But Iginla could probably play C, right? He's pretty good in the dot, we should move him there and Stajan can go to the ECHL.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:07 AM
The Gnome

I don't know how my name got dragged into the Stajan fan boy club, but anyway...

Stajan is our best natural center, many on here understand that (just look through the previous replies).

As others have mentioned, his FO ability alone is hugely valuable to a team that is absolutely pathetic at it. I cannot understand how some fans do not understand how important FOs are in a league with so much parity.

If we do not improve in the FO department, this team will go nowhere. That is honestly how I feel going into this season. I'm not a fan of Stajan at all, but he is our best center on paper, and by far our best FO guy.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Ynnek

vCash: 177
Stajan can make good players better. He can't make crap players good or carry a whole line himself.

Play him with real hockey players and he will produce plain and simple.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
BVicious

I like him. He's just signed to a Dutter contract so people hate him. U try putting up 50+ points playing with Jackman and Kostopo for 8 mins a night.

But when he was put with Iggy and Tangs, he started getting better. He even admitted he can't control the contract, he can't control who his linemates are, his ice time and role. But he does everything the coach has asked of him. Every game.

Put him in a situation to succeed and he will be back to 50 points.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

If you look at our lineup as it stands now, its pretty clear to me that Feaster does not have a lot of confidence in Stajan. Really there is going to be a dog fight between Stajan, Backlund and I'll Horak's name in there as well for the #3C position. Personally, I'd give the job to Backlund due to his upside and cap hit.

Stajan is a good player and teammate, unfortunately his time here has not been positive. If we can get any kind of positive return for him, I'd be in favor of giving him a fresh start somewhere else.

He does everything well, but nothing great. And yes, he does need to have good linemates to be effective. He does try hard though.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Kershaw

Was linked here from CP.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:06 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Was linked here from CP.
Wow, you seriously look at that site? Browsed there once, will never go back again.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
I like him. He's just signed to a Dutter contract so people hate him. U try putting up 50+ points playing with Jackman and Kostopo for 8 mins a night.

But when he was put with Iggy and Tangs, he started getting better. He even admitted he can't control the contract, he can't control who his linemates are, his ice time and role. But he does everything the coach has asked of him. Every game.

Put him in a situation to succeed and he will be back to 50 points.
This. Bravo good sir, bravo.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:43 AM
jtommyt

If I were Hartley I'd actually start the season off with Stajan playing 2nd line center.

I'd put Cervenka with Iggy and Tangs, and have Iggy take a ton of faceoffs.

I'd play Stajan between Cammy and Glencross, and give these guys a significant portion of the defensive zone starts.

I'd then send a 3rd line of Baertschi, Backlund, and Hudler and do my best to give these guys good matchups against 3rd pair defensemen.

Fourth line would be Comeau, Jones, and Stempniak/Bouma and I'd encourage those guys to try to drive the stars on the other team absolutely insane for 10-12 minutes a night.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:30 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtommyt View Post
If I were Hartley I'd actually start the season off with Stajan playing 2nd line center.

I'd play Stajan between Cammy and Glencross, and give these guys a significant portion of the defensive zone starts.

I'd then send a 3rd line of Baertschi, Backlund, and Hudler and do my best to give these guys good matchups against 3rd pair defensemen.

Fourth line would be Comeau, Jones, and Stempniak/Bouma and I'd encourage those guys to try to drive the stars on the other team absolutely insane for 10-12 minutes a night.
Glencross - Stajan - Cammy

I would be happy with this because Stajan could return to form between two good wingers.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Glencross - Stajan - Cammy

I would be happy with this because Stajan could return to form between two good wingers.
Plus you have Glenny on that line to add some grit to two "softer" players.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Ynnek

vCash: 177
Quote:

On paper this lineup looks fantastic. I would like to see this to start the season.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:06 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:

The only problem I have with this is that Cervenka is a complete wild card. We don't know that he can play on a top line, and I think its an unfair expectation of someone who has never touched NHL ice.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
The only problem I have with this is that Cervenka is a complete wild card. We don't know that he can play on a top line, and I think its an unfair expectation of someone who has never touched NHL ice.
At the same time it gives Cervenka the best opportunity to do well, as Stajan's line would get the majority of defensive duties meaning Cervenka can focus on offense with our two most offensive players. It would be a gamble but worth a shot in preseason.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:24 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
At the same time it gives Cervenka the best opportunity to do well, as Stajan's line would get the majority of defensive duties meaning Cervenka can focus on offense with our two most offensive players. It would be a gamble but worth a shot in preseason.
Or end up like Backlund, and be overwhelmed.