HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto rebuilding Leafs?

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2005, 08:34 AM
IWD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
The Leaf's 4th overall prospect was passed up 186 times in the NHL teams 7 months ago, also hilarious.
Todd Marchant, 164th
Pavol Demitra, 277th
Milan Hejduk, 87th
Daniel Alfredsson, 133rd
Steve Sullivan, 233rd
Richard Zednick, 249th
Kim Jonsson, 286th

"Also hilarious". That's just the '93 and '94 drafts. I would have thought that a player's draft position wouldn't guarentee anything by now. I guess not everyone holds that opinion.

Old
01-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
Lots of teams can bash the Canucks horrible prospect list, but the Toronto Maple Leafs are not one of them.
Why not?

Old
01-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Why not?
I imagine its because he thinks they have a worse prospect list than the nucks.

Old
01-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I imagine its because he thinks they have a worse prospect list than the nucks.
Good for him.

Old
01-19-2005, 10:31 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
The Leaf's 4th overall prospect was passed up 186 times in the NHL teams 7 months ago, also hilarious.
By my criteria, Earl shouldn't be that high.

Old
01-19-2005, 12:01 PM
JR#9*

No team will have any leverage when it comes to dumping very high priced vets due to whatever cap/luxury tax will be instituted so I wouldn't expect anything of significant value in return such as a Havlat or some of the names people have thrown out there.

That is why the NYR's were lucky to be able to dump all of their high priced guys except for Holik last year while people were still willing to give something of value for these guys because of the upcoming playoff run.

Teams looking to do so now will have an established salary threshold in place which will severely effect what the return would be.

Old
01-19-2005, 12:06 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
By my criteria, Earl shouldn't be that high.
Who are you... and what is your criteria?

Are we to expect it's going to have an impact on the future of the Toronto Maple Leafs prospects?

Old
01-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Habs4ever

Well bad thing about your list is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Point is the Leafs are not old... 6 of the oldest players on the roster are no longer with the organization. Prospects are expected to step into the lineup in the not too distant future to fill in.

Mikael Tellqvist
Alexander Steen
Carlo Colaiacovo
Roman Kukumberg
Brenden Bell
Dimitri Vorobiev
Ian White
etc...

All are looking good and will likely be playing in the NHL in the next 2 years. They may not all be NHL'ers... but most likely atleast 4 or 5 will be.

Tellqvist was horrible in toronto last year, its gone take miracle foe him to replace Belfour any time soon!!

While only Steen and Colaicavo are sure bet for any major impact as other prospects will be used only as fourth liners, or might not pan out at all!!

The thing is after trading away first round picks from 2000, 2003, 2004 its hard to get many blue chippers I suggest wait a few years and then strt making future NHL'rs as right now Leafs don't have major game breakers franchise prospects to replace Mogilny, Sundin and any other future hall of famer playing for leafs.

It will look much better after leafs have few more first round picks where ther actually decide to keep them and build strong blue liner core.

Old
01-19-2005, 12:17 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Tellqvist was horrible in toronto last year, its gone take miracle foe him to replace Belfour any time soon!!
I saw every single Tellqvist game and he was far from horrible.

Quote:
While only Steen and Colaicavo are sure bet for any major impact as other prospects will be used only as fourth liners, or might not pan out at all!!
Thank you Mr. Psychic man... 4th liners... well, one is a defenseman... so I can't see how he'd be used on the 4th line.

Steen and Colaiacovo are as safe as bets to make the NHL as anyone in the Habs organizations, so to say they may not pan out at all is to say the same thing about anyone in your organization... which isn't really that bad of a point since we've seen some promising superstars come through the Habs system in past years.

See Jason Ward, Matt Higgins, Eric Chouinard, and Terry Ryan.

The Canadiens have a longer list of disappointments (prospect-wise) than almost any other organization.

Quote:
The thing is after trading away first round picks from 2000, 2003, 2004 its hard to get many blue chippers I suggest wait a few years and then strt making future NHL'rs as right now Leafs don't have major game breakers franchise prospects to replace Mogilny, Sundin and any other future hall of famer playing for leafs.
Few contending teams have "franchise prospects"... Montreal certainely doesn't have any. Despite what HF.com (and one man's opinion) says about Andrei Kostitsyn (aka. the saviour of the Montreal Canadiens from the depths of mediocrity).

Quote:
It will look much better after leafs have few more first round picks where ther actually decide to keep them and build strong blue liner core.
The blueline is strong... as ox.

Old
01-19-2005, 01:14 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Who are you... and what is your criteria?

Are we to expect it's going to have an impact on the future of the Toronto Maple Leafs prospects?
You questioned rankings on the Leafs' top 20 list also, I assume that you had your own criteria for doing so.

Earl wasn't that highly rated to begin with and is still in college, I favour prospects that have gone to the next level and done well such as guys ranked below Robbie Earl as in Bell, White, and Harrison for examples.

Old
01-19-2005, 01:18 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Earl wasn't that highly rated to begin with and is still in college, I favour prospects that have gone to the next level and done well such as guys ranked below Robbie Earl as in Bell, White, and Harrison for examples.
Ok, so until Earl reaches the AHL or NHL, guys like Harrison deserve to be ranked ahead of them... because they're older... ?

Old
01-19-2005, 01:26 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Ok, so until Earl reaches the AHL or NHL, guys like Harrison deserve to be ranked ahead of them... because they're older... ?
Double checked and yes, I did write this in English:

I favour prospects that have gone to the next level and done well

Old
01-19-2005, 01:28 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Double checked and yes, I did write this in English:

I favour prospects that have gone to the next level and done well
Thanks goodness you don't have a hand in the production of anything like the HF.com top 20 list.

Old
01-19-2005, 02:02 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Thanks goodness you don't have a hand in the production of anything like the HF.com top 20 list.
Now, we wouldn't want anything that approaches what happens in the real world.

Old
01-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Default101

The leafs should have done this 3 years ago when they lost out to carolina but they refused to give up, now they're deeper in a hole than they were before, if they hadn't have delt with boston they'd have Mark Stuart, if they hadn't have delt for Nolan they'd have Stever Bernier (i think i've got the picks and the years right) so they're gonna have to go 2 seasons without making the playoffs, they're not gonna play like my Pittsburgh Penguins but they are probably gonna finish around 8-12th when they decided to start rebuilding i can see Mogilny, Nolan, and Belfour going, and Leetch if they can deal him before his contract is up which prolly won't happen... i can't see them dealing Sundin, Tucker or Kaberle though

Old
01-19-2005, 02:55 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Now, we wouldn't want anything that approaches what happens in the real world.
ironic, you commenting on reality when it comes to prospects. your criteria is a joke, plain and simple, when you take a 24 yr old in the ahl that came through the chl and can place him above a 22 yr old senior in college for the simple reason he's in the ahl (not taking into account any possible extenuating circumstances) that is a joke

Old
01-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Sebastien Centomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg
if they hadn't have delt with boston they'd have Mark Stuart, if they hadn't have delt for Nolan they'd have Stever Bernier (i think i've got the picks and the years right)
Yes and no. The 1st rounder in the Nolan deal was sent to San Jose and then they moved it to Boston and they took Stuart. The other first rounder was sent to NYR in the Leetch, who, I believe somehow sent that to Edmonton, which turned into Rob Schremp.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:19 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
ironic, you commenting on reality when it comes to prospects. your criteria is a joke, plain and simple, when you take a 24 yr old in the ahl that came through the chl and can place him above a 22 yr old senior in college for the simple reason he's in the ahl (not taking into account any possible extenuating circumstances) that is a joke
If a player is 24 and still in the AHL then he is not a very good prospect.

Try again.

Old
01-20-2005, 01:11 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
If a player is 24 and still in the AHL then he is not a very good prospect.

Try again.
When you take a 22 year old AHL defenseman over a 19 year old NCAA forward because the defenseman is in the AHL and not because he's proven to be a better prospect... that is a joke.

Don't even try, you've lost so many times, sluggo.

Old
01-20-2005, 09:49 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
When you take a 22 year old AHL defenseman over a 19 year old NCAA forward because the defenseman is in the AHL and not because he's proven to be a better prospect... that is a joke.

Don't even try, you've lost so many times, sluggo.
No, I haven't.

Anyway, where was Earl picked in the draft again? Right.

Old
01-20-2005, 09:51 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
No, I haven't.

Anyway, where was Earl picked in the draft again? Right.
Wow, great point.

I give up, you win.

Old
01-20-2005, 09:51 AM
IWD

This is sluggo? Wasn't he banned for making new accounts? Hmm...

Old
01-20-2005, 09:54 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93
Popular belief is that this is indeed THE sluggo.

Old
01-20-2005, 09:55 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93
Whenever O'Steen gets whiny or pouty about something I write he brings up that name for some reason.

Old
01-20-2005, 10:37 AM
BuppY

wheres Sluggo?

Closed Thread