HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Your thoughts on Darcy Regier as our GM

View Poll Results: What do you think of Regier as a GM?
Great 7 10.61%
Good 44 66.67%
Average 13 19.70%
Below average 2 3.03%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2012, 01:29 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Your thoughts on Darcy Regier as our GM

What do you think? The term has been very, very long, with mixed results and an obvious lack of one thing in particular.

Just to quantify - where in the "ranking" do you fall? I'm sure you would like to see other options, as we know such complaints come with any posted poll. But given the five above, which is most accurate?

Last edited by jBuds: 07-31-2012 at 04:11 AM.
jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:34 AM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Good

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:50 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Good

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:04 AM
Takeo

My vote is below average. He got lucky with the rule changes after the lockout. Ever since then, he's slowly devolved the team from a Stanley Cup contender into a borderline non-playoff team.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:48 AM
JPurp26

What is Darcy's preferred model or team identity?
Just curious to everyone's opinions.

His teams pre lockout were defensive minded tight checking. After lockout speed and all out offensive (exciting) and now were slowly shifting back to the first

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:52 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Is it fair to rate him in two categories?

I think he is a great GM for teams on a budget. So far I would rate him a terrible GM with money to spend.

What always gets me is he chose to give big money to Drury over Briere. Who knows if Drury gets hurt here, but man would that have been bad. He might be better off that both left.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:53 AM
burner087

I put average. He has made some great and even amazing moves. then he gets us a Boyes or a Moore... or a Torres... So the good + the bad = average.

burner087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Is it fair to rate him in two categories?

I think he is a great GM for teams on a budget. So far I would rate him a terrible GM with money to spend.

What always gets me is he chose to give big money to Drury over Briere. Who knows if Drury gets hurt here, but man would that have been bad. He might be better off that both left.
Yeah terrible, getting Ehrhoff, Regehr, singing Myers to the extension well before he had to. Really a bad GM with money.

oh wait, you're the one thinking the Leino contract is the worst in NHL history.

My bad.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:13 AM
HiddenInLight

I think he has done admirably under the constraints he had under BTG, and all in all he is a good GM.....when he stays away from rentals.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:01 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Yeah terrible, getting Ehrhoff, Regehr, singing Myers to the extension well before he had to. Really a bad GM with money.

oh wait, you're the one thinking the Leino contract is the worst in NHL history.

My bad.
You see, when you miss the playoffs its hard to praise a GM. When you sign a guy that doesnt deserve it to 6 years and he has 25 points, its hard not to say its not the worst contract ever.

Lets also remember Ehrhoff had his worst year point wise in 4 years, Regehr had his worst year point wise. Myers was a healthy scratch. Many players had down years and complained about the coach and Regeir felt Ruff did a good job and used his players correctly. A real cup contending big market GM would not have kept Ruff after that year.

I know the Sabres are like family to most fans and you have to defend them all the time, but come on. Last year was not the final chapter of Regier with Pegula, but its off to a terrible start.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:15 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
You see, when you miss the playoffs its hard to praise a GM. When you sign a guy that doesnt deserve it to 6 years and he has 25 points, its hard not to say its not the worst contract ever.
Judging a 6 year contract based of one season is probably the dumbest thing ever. But hey, whatever works for you.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Judging a 6 year contract based of one season is probably the dumbest thing ever. But hey, whatever works for you.
well then, by the same logic, signing a player to a 6 year contract based off of one season would also be the dumbest thing ever...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Jame
Dream '16

average

Darcy's Cons
1. His belief in Lindy Ruff
2. Slow reaction/Patience regarding roster issues
3. Has never sustained success (no excuses)

Darcy's Pros
1. The guy wins trades
2. Did a decent job while his hands were tied for years
3. Has never crippled the team with his own decision making

average

Old
07-31-2012, 08:34 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
well then, by the same logic, signing a player to a 6 year contract based off of one season would also be the dumbest thing ever...

I'm not saying Leino's contract is great. I'm simply evaluating his entire deal after one season is nuts.

He very well could turn things around. Unless we have some psychics here that say he won't I guess.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I'm not saying Leino's contract is great. I'm simply evaluating his entire deal after one season is nuts.

He very well could turn things around. Unless we have some psychics here that say he won't I guess.

cool

Old
07-31-2012, 08:44 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
This is funny for a few reasons and proves my point your just defending Regier because he is the Sabres GM. If this were Toronto's GM we would be laughing hard at what happened last year.

Like I said, last year was not the final chapter of Regier with Pegula but the 1st year was terrible. All you can judge is the 1st year because that's all we have to judge.

I think making Lindy Ruff untouchable is probably his biggest failure. Saying Ruff did a good job last year is embarrassing. Calling Ruff an elite head coach is just disturbing.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:48 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
This is funny for a few reasons and proves my point you just defending Regier because he is the Sabres GM. If this were Toronto's GM we would be laughing hard at what happened last year.

Like I said, last year was not the final chapter of Regier with Pegula but the 1st year was terrible. All you can judge is the 1st year because that's all we have to judge.

I think making Lindy Ruff untouchable is probably is biggest failure. Saying Ruff did a good job last year is embarrassing. Calling Ruff an elite head coach is just disturbing.
I'm not defending Regier.

I'm pointing out the absurdity of evaluating a 6 year deal after year one.

But hey, continue on with your narrative.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
This is funny for a few reasons and proves my point your just defending Regier because he is the Sabres GM. If this were Toronto's GM we would be laughing hard at what happened last year.

I think making Lindy Ruff untouchable is probably his biggest failure. Saying Ruff did a good job last year is embarrassing. Calling Ruff an elite head coach is just disturbing.
that happens a lot around here...

Old
07-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Crazy Tasty

I voted good, but I think he's in between average and good.

He typically gets good value in trades, however he's been relatively safe in the players he targets.

Heading the ship on the scouting department, I'll give him credit for the amount of NHL bodies his team has drafted over the years.

Under his watch, I can only remember 1 or 2 seasons that were god awful to watch, otherwise they are typically competitive.

Slow to respond/react is probably the biggest negative that he has against him, but his M.O. has always been patience...

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

When is the proper time to evaluate a 6 year deal ?

there's this thing called re-evaluation... it can be done as well.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:56 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:

Lets also remember Ehrhoff had his worst year point wise in 4 years, Regehr had his worst year point wise. Myers was a healthy scratch. Many players had down years and complained about the coach and Regeir felt Ruff did a good job and used his players correctly. A real cup contending big market GM would not have kept Ruff after that year.

I know the Sabres are like family to most fans and you have to defend them all the time, but come on. Last year was not the final chapter of Regier with Pegula, but its off to a terrible start.
1: Leino's deal is FAR from the worst active contract in the league right now. Look at guys like DiPietro, Nash, Carter, and a few others....those are all active contracts that are worse then Leino.

2:Ehrhoff's decrease in production was expected, in case you weren't paying attention last offseason. Most players WILL have less production when switching from playing with Sedin to Roy.

3: Judging Regehr by his point production in laughable. Even a single point is gravy for a player like him. We got him for his defensive zone ability and his physicality.

4: Sometimes a young player like Myers benefits from a good benching, and considering how he played between his return and his injury, it certainly worked. Vanek and Roy have been benched in the early parts of their careers as well. IMO benching myers for that game was the second best decision Ruff made all season, following only the creation of Foligno - Ennis - Stafford as a line.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:57 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:

Well I will ask you, when am I allowed to judge the Leino contract, or Regier's results with a blank check, or Lindy Ruff?

Many people tell me signing Semin would have been dumb or signing Doan for 4 years would be stupid, but this is before they even play. So whats the difference? Why cant we judge the Leino deal after 1 year or even before he played?

Old
07-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Below average over the span of his career.

07-31-2012, 08:58 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
average

Darcy's Cons
1. His belief in Lindy Ruff
2. Slow reaction/Patience regarding roster issues
3. Has never sustained success (no excuses)

Darcy's Pros
1. The guy wins trades
2. Did a decent job while his hands were tied for years
3. Has never crippled the team with his own decision making

average
I voted Average. Pretty much this ^^^ . Now if he can make a move this year bringing in a top 6. That might change my mind later in the year.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:08 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

Can't include Ehrhoff when discussing negative things Regier has done, sorry.

I lean towards average, but it has been such an unaccomplished reign overall that those who have him below average cant be laughed off as wrong. Like Chain said...over the span of his tenure.... We win nothing except for trades

BUT. I try to quantify the handcuffs he operated the team while shackled with....one simply can't quantify it.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote