HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: We're doing 65, so we should be there in a billion years...

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 02:01 PM
eklunds source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just another pawn View Post
I still believe Luongo is going to Florida. He will win a cup in the twilight of his career against the Canucks leaving us to be the only virgins in the NHL.
Buffalo Sabres
Columbus Blue Jackets
Nashville Predators
Minnesota Wild
Ottawa Senators
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
St. Louis Blues
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets
?

Old
07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just another pawn View Post
I still believe Luongo is going to Florida. He will win a cup in the twilight of his career against the Canucks leaving us to be the only virgins in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Buffalo Sabres
Columbus Blue Jackets
Nashville Predators
Minnesota Wild
Ottawa Senators
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
St. Louis Blues
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets
?
And at least we, like the Blues, made it to fourth base three times.

Too bad we prematurely ehockulated when we got there.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I would take the Columbus offer over the Toronto offer.
Really? Kadri and Kulemin on this roster would beat Brassard and Boll.

Kadri/Schroeder as our 2/3 centers while Kes is out would be better with a steady winger like Kulemin helping things along.

Then again, Brassard/Schroeder isn't terrible either, but we'd either be sending Schroeder down or be pushing one (Brassard more then likely) to the wing with Kesler and Booth.

Plus, as much as I've hyped Savard, I think Kadri would still be the better player down the road.

Meh, I'd be happy with either of those returns at this point, to be entirely honest. I'm sick of waiting, and hope he returns more, but...well, dog days of summer.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:08 PM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
The final post from the last thread:

Bolland, Hjalmarsson and Crawford
Kulemin, Kadri and Lombardi
Brassard, Boll, Savard and Mason
Kopecky, Ellerby and Howden

My favorite offers from each team, offered or agreed to by some of the respective fanbases, in order of my favorite to least favorite. Gillis would agree with me there. However, unlike Gillis, I am willing to settle for "lesser" pieces like these, rather then hold out for a star player or top prospect.

I argue higher then these offers, and others, Liferleafer being one (HI!) will likely disagree.
I would do that Chicago deal. It gives us a great third line centre and ridiculous defensive depth. Not to mention a very solid back up if Schnieder struggles with a large work load. Can you imagine fully healthy:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kelser-Kassian/Jensen/trade for top 6/Doan
Higgins-Bolland-Hansen
Malhotra-Lappierre-Weise/Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Hjalmarsson-Tanev

Schnieder
Crawford

Looking like a damn good line-up, damn good.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

Jensen Bjugstad Kassian
Labate Gaunce Rodin

Would just be... drool...
That first line has legit potential to be replacements for our aging superstars. Top-end 2nd line potential for sure, and I'd say first line potential. They could grow and evolve with the team at the perfect time, ready to take over for our current heros... allowing us to transition seamlessly into the next decade of presidents trophies.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:10 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
Jensen Bjugstad Kassian
Labate Gaunce Rodin

Would just be... drool...
That first line has legit potential to be replacements for our aging superstars. Top-end 2nd line potential for sure, and I'd say first line potential. They could grow and evolve with the team at the perfect time, ready to take over for our current heros... allowing us to transition seamlessly into the next decade of presidents trophies.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:10 PM
arshonagon

Quote:
Really? Kadri and Kulemin on this roster would beat Brassard and Boll.

Kadri/Schroeder as our 2/3 centers while Kes is out would be better with a steady winger like Kulemin helping things along.

Then again, Brassard/Schroeder isn't terrible either, but we'd either be sending Schroeder down or be pushing one (Brassard more then likely) to the wing with Kesler and Booth.

Plus, as much as I've hyped Savard, I think Kadri would still be the better player down the road.

Meh, I'd be happy with either of those returns at this point, to be entirely honest. I'm sick of waiting, and hope he returns more, but...well, dog days of summer.
I don't get why people are so high on Kadri. I watch him a lot and he just seems like he will not become a full time top 6 forward and is incapable of playing in the bottom 6. I see him as a less defensively sound, less tough Gilbert Brule. Personally, from Toronto, I would be much more interested in Colborne. Not only do I think he will be the better player, I think he is more ready, and that he will fit into AV's system better.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post
I would do that Chicago deal. It gives us a great third line centre and ridiculous defensive depth. Not to mention a very solid back up if Schnieder struggles with a large work load. Can you imagine fully healthy:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kelser-Kassian/Jensen/trade for top 6/Doan
Higgins-Bolland-Hansen
Malhotra-Lappierre-Weise/Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Hjalmarsson-Tanev

Schnieder
Crawford

Looking like a damn good line-up, damn good.
I can. That's why I posted it as my favorite. Bolland's hate of our team be damned, I think he'd fit right in. I calibrated this deal so that if we moved Crawford for picks or prospects, say Colborne of Toronto or something, we could keep Ballard...and have sickening depth at D as well. My thoughts anyway.

HamJuice
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Hjalmarsson (Chi fans said he can play right and not lose anything)
Tanev would be a spare/call up/motivational tool to keep Ballard and Hjalmarsson on the straight and narrow too.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
I don't get why people are so high on Kadri. I watch him a lot and he just seems like he will not become a full time top 6 forward and is incapable of playing in the bottom 6. I see him as a less defensively sound, less tough Gilbert Brule. Personally, from Toronto, I would be much more interested in Colborne. Not only do I think he will be the better player, I think he is more ready, and that he will fit into AV's system better.
I disagree. I think he will be a top six center, probably a good, steady second liner, but he needs a little bit more development being in that Leaf's system. Colborne is slated as a 2/3 shut down sort of guy at worst, and a powerforward center at best. He's a risk, but I like him all the same. I just think Kadri has some of the stick skills and instincts that some of the better forwards in the league have incommon, and just needs help putting it all together.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:36 PM
arshonagon

Quote:
I disagree. I think he will be a top six center, probably a good, steady second liner, but he needs a little bit more development being in that Leaf's system. Colborne is slated as a 2/3 shut down sort of guy at worst, and a powerforward center at best. He's a risk, but I like him all the same. I just think Kadri has some of the stick skills and instincts that some of the better forwards in the league have incommon, and just needs help putting it all together.
My problem is a lot of guys have ridiculous stick skills. Shirokov comes to mind for the Canucks. Just having one elite skill doesn't mean much if the rest of your skill set doesn't allow to utilize that skill. I see flashes of the great stick handling and potential from Kadri, but not enough of the other skills that allow him to be put in a position to use that elite puck handling of his.

Also, for the line-up, I would rather we try and include Ballard in a deal to strengthen the top 6 then keep him or Tanev as the 7. But, you can never have too much defensive depth either.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
My problem is a lot of guys have ridiculous stick skills. Shirokov comes to mind for the Canucks. Just having one elite skill doesn't mean much if the rest of your skill set doesn't allow to utilize that skill. I see flashes of the great stick handling and potential from Kadri, but not enough of the other skills that allow him to be put in a position to use that elite puck handling of his.

Also, for the line-up, I would rather we try and include Ballard in a deal to strengthen the top 6 then keep him or Tanev as the 7. But, you can never have too much defensive depth either.
Speed/skating at an NHL level isn't a strength of his, but he is also probably above average. Hockey IQ, at least in the offensive zone, is very good as well. I mean the kids not a one trick pony by any stretch.

Fair enough for Ballard, I just thought the tidbits of seeing him off the leash in the final few games last year really elevated my opinion of his play (not that I had any problems with him last year as a whole).

Luongo and Alberts for Bolland, Hjalmarsson and Crawford.

Crawford for Kadri/Colborne/doesn't-matter-Wolves

Sign Doan.

Ballard, Raymond and a 1st for Hemsky and Gagner?

I totally balanced that out one time cap wise.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post

meh.....the *ONLY* reason the Blues made it to the Finals three times was due to the structure of the league back then.

Back then, all the expansion clubs (eg., St Louis) were put into one division where one of them were *GUARANTEED* to make the Finals. So those 3 Finals appearances are about as impressive as the Leafs 13 Cups wins when there were only 6 teams in the league.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:27 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

Is it worse to have been to the dance 3 times, and made it to game 7 to only have the rug pulled out from under you or to have made it 3 times and never won a game in the cup finals?

Old
07-31-2012, 03:28 PM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
meh.....the *ONLY* reason the Blues made it to the Finals three times was due to the structure of the league back then.

Back then, all the expansion clubs (eg., St Louis) were put into one division where one of them were *GUARANTEED* to make the Finals. So those 3 Finals appearances are about as impressive as the Leafs 13 Cups wins when there were only 6 teams in the league.
I was ging to bring up the fact that the blues never really made it to the finals.

Buffalo Sabres - 2
Columbus Blue Jackets
Nashville Predators
Minnesota Wild - 2
Ottawa Senators - 1
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
St. Louis Blues sort of 3
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets

So 6 team never made it to the SCF, but I disagree wth your comment about the leafs - when you consder Bost and NYR only won a couple of times in that same time frame.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
palefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
I was ging to bring up the fact that the blues never really made it to the finals.

Buffalo Sabres - 2
Columbus Blue Jackets
Nashville Predators
Minnesota Wild - 2
Ottawa Senators - 1
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets

So 6 team never made it to the SCF, but I disagree wth your comment about the leafs - when you consder Bost and NYR only won a couple of times in that same time frame.
Caps made the finals in 1998.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Interesting thing about that.....

For a considerable amount of time, the US teams were all controlled or strongly influenced by one owner - the owner of the Red Wings. There's a reason why it was often referred to as "The Norris League". Look into the history of the six team league (re: US teams) and you'll see why those other US teams had an especially tough time competing (even in a six team league).

Old
07-31-2012, 04:06 PM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Exactly! I'm starting to think Mason Raymond has more value than Kadri

Old
07-31-2012, 04:19 PM
SeawaterOnIce

Quote:

Quote:
Buffalo Sabres - 2
Columbus Blue Jackets
Nashville Predators
Minnesota Wild - 2
Ottawa Senators - 1
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets

He still has 10 years on his contract. So he'll win it in his final year once the likes of CBJ and the Seattle Coyotes win the cup

Old
07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
If I'm Gillis, you have to take that Chicago package. That package is insanely good for us. The only reservation is having to send Luongo to Chicago.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Is it me or is every prospect the Panthers have considered their "top prospect"?

Canucks Fan: "Oh how about ______ + ______ for Luongo"

Panther Fan: "oh no he is our top prospect, Tallon won't give up his top prospect"

Old
07-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
If I'm Gillis, you have to take that Chicago package. That package is insanely good for us. The only reservation is having to send Luongo to Chicago.
Reports are that MG rejected a deal with Bolland as the lead asset. I believe it was Farhan Lalji that relayed it. So there goes that idea. I still think the best base for discussion is the News1130 report about Bjugstad being the sticking point, and the recent Nash deal. All of that is better than relying on the misinformed opinion of hack writers like Cox and greatly biased fans that haven't got a clue.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
aandbreatheme

For those of you who would trade Luongo for this Nick Bjugstad character (something that seems to be off the table), how exactly would this trade help us now? As mentioned, isn't he somebody that would make an impact 2-3 years down the road?

But I guess you'd make that trade to keep the future bright...? Or because nothing Florida has on their roster right now would be an upgrade on ours?

Old
07-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Is it me or is every prospect the Panthers have considered their "top prospect"?

Canucks Fan: "Oh how about ______ + ______ for Luongo"

Panther Fan: "oh no he is our top prospect, Tallon won't give up his top prospect"
Lol no doubt about it. Not even talking about Huberdeau, Gudbranson or Kulikov... You get to number 4 or 5 on the list and the answers are still the same. It really is quite funny, but expected. This is HF after all. The only problem is that people buy into it and it muddles discussion to no end.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:39 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I keep opening up this thread hoping for some sort of inspiration to add something but it simply doesn't happen. Sigh, it's not even August yet.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Lol no doubt about it. Not even talking about Huberdeau, Gudbranson or Kulikov... You get to number 4 or 5 on the list and the answers are still the same. It really is quite funny, but expected. This is HF after all. The only problem is that people buy into it and it muddles discussion to no end.
Not to mention first round picks! Some on these boards wouldn't give up a first round pick for Malkin or Crosby or ovechkin or etc....

Closed Thread