HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread: We're doing 65, so we should be there in a billion years...

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I suppose his track record against the canucks (where is that passittobulis article dispelling this myth when you need it ) didn't matter to Gillis as he already passed on Bolland... ?
I'm not suggesting that is the deal to be made, I just think it's... interesting.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I'm not suggesting that is the deal to be made, I just think it's... interesting.
Sarcasm? My radar's been busted from too much trade forum "discussion".

Old
08-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Sarcasm? My radar's been busted from too much trade forum "discussion".
No sarcasm. Our bottom 6 is consistently outplayed by the other teams in the playoffs and is a big reason we don't score enough. Bolland is an elite 3rd liner, even if you take his production against us out he still scores more in the playoffs than Kesler.

I understand peoples hesitation in sending Luongo to Chicago, I'm hesitant as well. Still, I think the net gain of strengthening our bottom 6 and weakening Chicago's makes the deal closer than people thing.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:51 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
Bolland is consistently 0.5 PPG in the playoffs not vs canucks. that's great production for a 3rd line centre.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Zero interest in Bolland. He hates the Canucks/Sedins, and he isn't good at faceoffs.

The guy I want from the Blackhawks is Hossa. Basically the same contract as Luongo's, and both are the same age.
We fill a need for a top 6 winger, Chicago fills a need for a good starting goalie.

There is no way we help out the Blackhawks so much without us getting helped as well. Giving them Luongo makes them an extremely good team, so the loss of Hossa makes them a bit worse offensively.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
No sarcasm. Our bottom 6 is consistently outplayed by the other teams in the playoffs and is a big reason we don't score enough. Bolland is an elite 3rd liner, even if you take his production against us out he still scores more in the playoffs than Kesler.

I understand peoples hesitation in sending Luongo to Chicago, I'm hesitant as well. Still, I think the net gain of strengthening our bottom 6 and weakening Chicago's makes the deal closer than people thing.
If the deal was close, MG would not have turfed the offer. After that CanucksArmy article, it just seems pointless to continue debating it. Fun for a time though!

Old
08-01-2012, 02:28 PM
dave babych returns

Bolland is clearly not a third liner. Maybe he plays that role on a championship team (maybe he would here.. sounds promising) but the vast majority of teams consider a center of Bollands calibre a second line guy.

Honest question, is there a team in the league with a third line center better than Dave Bolland? Now that Jordan Staal's been dealt I can't think of one.

I can think of a hell of a lot of teams that don't have two centers as good as he is, let alone three.. even ignoring his performances against the Canucks over the years.

Anyway it's probably moot - unless there was something about the original offer we didn't know (it included Olesz or Crawford, say) and the Blackhawks are prepared to step up - but I don't think Dave Bolland is a third liner in any respect other than perhaps the way you could pigeonhole a player with his skill set.

For me the only questions about that player would be his ability to remain healthy and his willingness to re-sign in Vancouver; other than that as the centerpiece of a package deal he's just about perfect for this team.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Bolland is clearly not a third liner. Maybe he plays that role on a championship team (maybe he would here.. sounds promising) but the vast majority of teams consider a center of Bollands calibre a second line guy.

Honest question, is there a team in the league with a third line center better than Dave Bolland? Now that Jordan Staal's been dealt I can't think of one.

I can think of a hell of a lot of teams that don't have two centers as good as he is, let alone three.. even ignoring his performances against the Canucks over the years.

Anyway it's probably moot - unless there was something about the original offer we didn't know (it included Olesz or Crawford, say) and the Blackhawks are prepared to step up - but I don't think Dave Bolland is a third liner in any respect other than perhaps the way you could pigeonhole a player with his skill set.

For me the only questions about that player would be his ability to remain healthy and his willingness to re-sign in Vancouver; other than that as the centerpiece of a package deal he's just about perfect for this team.
Others disagree with your last statement (myself included). He's a good player, but not an elite talent. It's not his fault either. But as you correctly pointed out, the point is moot because the deal from CHI was rejected.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Bolland is way too inconsistent offensively to be considered a top 6 forward.
Every Hawks fan will tell you he's an extremely good 3rd liner forced to play a top 6 role sometimes.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:52 PM
ruutu37

Does anyone think Washington is interested in Lu? There is a lot of talk about Florida, and rightly so, but I have a feeling he could go somewhere nobody is talking about.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:57 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post

Chicago disagrees.

It's why they are continually looking for a 2nd line Center, if Bolland was the answer don't you think he'd get played there?

He's not nearly effective when counted on for offense. Ask Hawk fans.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruutu37 View Post
Does anyone think Washington is interested in Lu? There is a lot of talk about Florida, and rightly so, but I have a feeling he could go somewhere nobody is talking about.
Doubt it. Their "rookie phenom" played so great in their minds, they never bothered to re-up Vokuon (a very respectable starting goalie in his own right).

Old
08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

I don't care how bad he was last year, bolland nearly single handedly destroyed us in not one but two series in the past few years.

The guy is a monster in the playoffs, and he would be a huge upgrade on our third line, and a slot in 2nd line guy.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruutu37 View Post
I would target John Carlson out of Washington on a deal. The Caps have never been on the radar though. I think they may have their starter in Holtby.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

I seriously don't get why some Canucks fans are still discussing doing a Luongo + Edler for Kane + Hjalmarsson swap.

It improves Chicago MUCH more than us, and leaves us with a huge hole on defense. We'd also have no great offensive d-men.
And then we'd get a 4th-5th mediocre defensive d-man and a very talented forward with tons of personal problems (and I want him as far away from the Canucks as possible).

We have no great defensive prospects to replace Edler anytime soon, but we have a couple of pretty good wingers who could be top 6 ready in a year or two (Kassian and Jensen).

Old
08-01-2012, 03:12 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I don't care how bad he was last year, bolland nearly single handedly destroyed us in not one but two series in the past few years.

The guy is a monster in the playoffs, and he would be a huge upgrade on our third line, and a slot in 2nd line guy.
And he looked like a powder puff this year against the Coyotes.

The past against us is clouding judgement.

It's moot though, will not happen.

Definitely not that interested in a guy who has spoken out against - our players, coaches, management, city, fans, etc...

The only way you make a move for Bolland and Hjalmarsson is if you already know a team that will trade you value for both.

Bolland is a better fit for need, Hjalmarsson for Swedishness...but I don't want either.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I seriously don't get why some Canucks fans are still discussing doing a Luongo + Edler for Kane + Hjalmarsson swap.

It improves Chicago MUCH more than us, and leaves us with a huge hole on defense. We'd also have no great offensive d-men.
And then we'd get a 4th-5th mediocre defensive d-man and a very talented forward with tons of personal problems (and I want him as far away from the Canucks as possible).

We have no great defensive prospects to replace Edler anytime soon, but we have a couple of pretty good wingers who could be top 6 ready in a year or two (Kassian and Jensen).
Connauton is a great offensive defenseman prospect. Bieksa is also better than Edler offensively, and would have better PP numbers if he had a better shot

08-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Connauton is a great offensive defenseman prospect. Bieksa is also better than Edler offensively, and would have better PP numbers if he had a better shot
Remember what happened when Ehrhoff left? Everyone tried to be more of an offensive d-man for the entire season.
I still have nightmares about all the 2 on 1s we gave up from the d-men ALWAYS pinching up in the offensive zone.

If we get rid of Edler, our team becomes worse overall (even with the addition of Kane) as our backend wouldn't be able to produce much offensively. Also, this will be Schneider's first year as a starter. I'd like him to have a good d-core in front of him.
Honestly, it would be a disaster.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:34 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Bieksa is one of the worst power play d-men I have ever seen play hockey.

Edler has more offensive skill. And I find Edler overrated. He's a better passer than Bieksa, better shot, Better reads in the neutral zone(stupid drop pass aside), better dump ins, better pinches...

Old
08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
hackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Zero interest in Bolland. He hates the Canucks/Sedins, and he isn't good at faceoffs.

The guy I want from the Blackhawks is Hossa. Basically the same contract as Luongo's, and both are the same age.
We fill a need for a top 6 winger, Chicago fills a need for a good starting goalie.

There is no way we help out the Blackhawks so much without us getting helped as well. Giving them Luongo makes them an extremely good team, so the loss of Hossa makes them a bit worse offensively.
What?
He had a massive concussion in the playoffs
The strap the head down on the gurney so it doesn't move type

Too much of a risk because of his massive contract

Old
08-01-2012, 03:41 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Bieksa is one of the worst power play d-men I have ever seen play hockey.

Edler has more offensive skill. And I find Edler overrated. He's a better passer than Bieksa, better shot, Better reads in the neutral zone(stupid drop pass aside), better dump ins, better pinches...
Weird that Bieksa had 5 less points than Edler in 5 less games....Edler must be pretty high on that list of worst PP d-men to ever play hockey.

In what world is Edler a better pincher than Bieksa...Bieksa is among the best d-men in the league at pinching at the right time.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
He's a better passer than Bieksa, better shot, Better reads in the neutral zone(stupid drop pass aside), better dump ins, better pinches...
And yet he produces better 5 on 5 while playing in tougher situations, against tougher competition with worse teammates....

Old
08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Big IF, Bieksa does not have a better shot and probably never will. Edler is younger, bigger, and has more offensive IQ. Bieksa has a knack for threading pucks and getting them through to the goalie, but he rarely threads a perfect pass to an open player the way Edler can. That's why Edler is on the PP and Bieksa isn't.

Furthermore, Bieksa has never scored 49 points, so you can't say Bieksa is offensively better than Edler like it's a FACT when in fact he has never put up those numbers. You can say Bieksa CAN be better than Edler offensively, you can state offensive zone start stats, 5v5 points all you want, but the fact of the matter is he hasn't played the same minutes and hasn't put up the points. It is an unknown what Bieksa can do if he were given Edler ice, it's not a given.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
Big IF, Bieksa does not have a better shot and probably never will. Edler is younger, bigger, and has more offensive IQ. Bieksa has a knack for threading pucks and getting them through to the goalie, but he rarely threads a perfect pass to an open player the way Edler can. That's why Edler is on the PP and Bieksa isn't.

Furthermore, Bieksa has never scored 49 points, so you can't say Bieksa is offensively better than Edler like it's a FACT when in fact he has never put up those numbers. You can say Bieksa CAN be better than Edler offensively, you can state offensive zone start stats, 5v5 points all you want, but the fact of the matter is he hasn't played the same minutes and hasn't put up the points. It is an unknown what Bieksa can do if he were given Edler ice, it's not a given.
Agreed but all signs point to Bieksa being a better offensive defenseman than Edler. Edler has that booming shot which makes him better suited for his PP role than Bieksa, although with Garrison we have a good replacement for that if needed.

Bieksa's 5 on 5 production was absolutely outstanding. Only Erik Karlsson was better this season. And that's while playing with inferior offensive line mates while going up against tougher competition than Edler.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:52 PM
BleedingOil

Ok so did Luongo actually say the only team he will accept a trade to is Florida?

Closed Thread