HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread: We're doing 65, so we should be there in a billion years...

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
Ok so did Luongo actually say the only team he will accept a trade to is Florida?
No list has been giving, but it's assumed that he would like to play in Florida due his Wife and her family being from there.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:26 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
It very well could be Theodore. There was a rumour about him not wanting to waive his NTC for VAN. Seems plausible. I think salary could also be a big factor. Maybe the Panthers also want to send Upshall along, which affects VAN's cap structure...
The other thing I want to mention is that some make this big deal about it being a huge issue if both Luongo and Schneider are in camp and start the season and honestly i tend to lean towards that argument. However, what no one wants to acknowledge is that by Tallon showing this KNOWN interest (this is beyond rumours folks) in Luongo he is telling his goaltenders that he wants to replace one of them in the organization. Things can not possibly be all sunshine and rainbows over in Florida when it comes to the current guys at this time.

I'm sure salary is also a consideration. It has been reported by reliable sources (LeBrun if I'm not mistaken) that Tallon has indeed gone to management to get approval to take on the contract. Ownership gave that permission but with the likely caveat that in the short term he'd have to shed some salary (i.e. the yearly internal budget wasn't moving just to take on Luongo). So yes some salary will likely come back and I think everyone including Gillis realizes that.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
If the deal was close, MG would not have turfed the offer. After that CanucksArmy article, it just seems pointless to continue debating it. Fun for a time though!
Gillis would not have floated Bollands name to the media - it's not how he does things. And we know Bowman wouldn't have either...

I could see Chicago moving him for Luongo - I just don't take Farhan Lalji's word for it. Wasn't it Lalji that reported we passed up on Correy Perry for a paltry return because we won a hockey game? Has he broken any stories with inside info?

Old
08-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

I could see Chicago moving him for Luongo - I just don't take Farhan Lalji's word for it. Wasn't it Lalji that reported we passed up on Correy Perry for a paltry return because we won a hockey game? Has he broken any stories with inside info?
Wasn't that Farhan Devji?

Old
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Wasn't that Farhan Devji?
Was it? Has he reported inside info before?

I just remember a Gilman interview where he talked about how important it is not to leak players names, on both sides of the fence. I am always skeptical when hearing our media talk specifics, as they never seem to catch wind of deals before they happen - whether it's Booth, Ballard, Kassian etc...

And you know Bowman will make sure not to put Bolland's name out there. He's already come out saying that report was bogus...

Old
08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Gillis would not have floated Bollands name to the media - it's not how he does things. And we know Bowman wouldn't have either...

Reported by Farhan Lalji on Team 1040 on July 11th I believe.

Confirmed by Jason Bothford.

Thomas Drance also believes it to be partially true. Citing that Stan didn't deny it at the Blackhawks summer summit... Market hardening etc...

Then it got reported by other sources, probably picking up the initial reports = fodder.

If you've got nothing else to add to counter that from any reputable source, I think you come in the "less than fodder" category -- in which most fans reside. The Bolland ship has sailed. And until anything new gets reported on it, I'm not sure why anyone would keep beating that dead horse... but you can continue to do so, of course.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 08-01-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Connauton is a great offensive defenseman prospect. Bieksa is also better than Edler offensively, and would have better PP numbers if he had a better shot
Connauton is great offensively but who knows if he even has NHL calibre defensive play in him? Bieksa is also a lot older, look what Bieksa was doing at Edler's age & then look what Edler has already done. It fills a forward hole & opens up a huge one on D. Its a question of would you rather have a strong 6 Forwards or Defenseman?

Last time I checked the phrase was "Defense wins championships."

IF we trade Luongo to Chicago Hossa better be coming back.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:01 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Connauton is great offensively but who knows if he even has NHL calibre defensive play in him? Bieksa is also a lot older, look what Bieksa was doing at Edler's age & then look what Edler has already done. It fills a forward hole & opens up a huge one on D. Its a question of would you rather have a strong 6 Forwards or Defenseman?

Dream on.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:03 PM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Dream on.
"imagine"

Old
08-01-2012, 09:18 PM
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post

Do You mean who parked their truck there Hossa

Old
08-01-2012, 09:39 PM
MrCanuck

Okay, there seems to be some misconceptions out there. So can we all agree on what is believed to be true by most:

Luongo would prefer to play in Florida.

Florida, Toronto, and Chicago have definitely expressed interest. NY Islanders may have also kicked the tires.

The value of Luongo is not yet agreed.

Anything to add? Have any other teams been mentioned?

Old
08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Humble request to all my HF Canucks fan brothers and sisters:

Can you guys STOP making Luongo threads in the trade forum until there's actual news or movement or something? There are few things more shoulder-saggingly depressing than the endless Luongo saga in there. We all know the Leafs fans' opinions, the Panthers fans' opinions, the Hawks fans' opinions and every troll on the planet has already weighed in with their own idiosyncratic brand of moronic yapping, most of them several times. The other 50 Luongo threads had exactly the same people saying exactly the same thing. I see absolutely diddly-****ing-squat reason thread 51 would be any different. We're officially gathering redundant data in there. So please. I beg of you.

Just say "NO" to yet another pointless Luongo thread in the trade forum.

Please and thank-you.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:23 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

Can you guys STOP making Luongo threads in the trade forum until there's actual news or movement or something? There are few things more shoulder-saggingly depressing than the endless Luongo saga in there. We all know the Leafs fans' opinions, the Panthers fans' opinions, the Hawks fans' opinions and every troll on the planet has already weighed in with their own idiosyncratic brand of moronic yapping, most of them several times. The other 50 Luongo threads had exactly the same people saying exactly the same thing. I see absolutely diddly-****ing-squat reason thread 51 would be any different. We're officially gathering redundant data in there. So please. I beg of you.

Please and thank-you.
......Luongo isn't worth anything, and he cause a rift in the dressing room!!!

Old
08-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Yeah, I have yet to see Farhan Lalji post anything that resembles inside info regarding the Canucks. Botchford obviously doesn't have a good track record either, to put it lightly.

All I have to go on is Lawrence Gilman and Stan Bowman. Bowman flat out said Bolland has not been offered to anyone in trade...

Never mind the fact they didn't offer any specifics regarding the deal - as in whether or not the Hawks were demanding we take back a horrible salary in the deal along with Bolland...

Until I hear something from someone connected to the team I will give Canuck management the benefit of the doubt they're not floating names of opposition players - something they said they wouldn't do. If they're not floating names of Leaf players, they're not going to do it with other teams IMO.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:35 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Jason Garrison ‏@JasonGarrison52
Dano-mite is in Vancity! We need the missing piece.. @ScottieUpshall http://pic.twitter.com/Fh2b5GDd
Um.. did he really just tweet that?

Old
08-01-2012, 10:56 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Um.. did he really just tweet that?
What's wrong with his pants?

Old
08-01-2012, 10:57 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

Please and thank-you.
but it's the thread that never ends ♫

Old
08-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Was it? Has he reported inside info before?
Don't believe it was "inside information", just more BS.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:38 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
What's wrong with his pants?
Is that Upshall in the picture? Doesn't really look like him.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Chicago beat us and won the cup because Lu soiled himself and Bolland ran our show and now we won't trade Lu for Bolland? Interesting turn of events.
We might as well just give up and trade Luongo to Moscow Oblast for Branko Radivojevic then.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:59 AM
jd22

vCash: 705
Send a message via MSN to jd22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
We might as well just give up and trade Luongo to Moscow Oblast for Branko Radivojevic then.
I remember him torching the canucks a few times. Once he scored half his goals on the year thus far against us. He entered the game with 2 goals and finished with 4. And it was February or something.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:01 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Is that Upshall in the picture? Doesn't really look like him.
Apparently.

What's he doing here in Vancouver, though? That's what I want to know.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:12 AM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

Quote:
Apparently.

That's not upshall, that's some guy nicknamed "danomite" who garrison is meeting with and he wants his friend upshall to join them so they can have fun.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:12 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Apparently.

Partying with Garrison's money.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:29 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Yeah, I have yet to see Farhan Lalji post anything that resembles inside info regarding the Canucks. Botchford obviously doesn't have a good track record either, to put it lightly.

All I have to go on is Lawrence Gilman and Stan Bowman. Bowman flat out said Bolland has not been offered to anyone in trade...

When did Bowman say that? Was it after the report leaking? If so, you have your answer right there. Drance specifically mentions Stan refusing to answer the question at the Summer Summit. If after that SB is denying the deal, sounds more like there was a possibility there, but no more. (Which fits the chronology).

At least Botchford _has_ a track record...Lalji the same. Drance was skeptical, but even he said things could be partially true citing Bowman's reaction at the Summer Summit. ...What do you have?... Are you you're own source? Do you have anything legit refuting what has been reported?

Since when do GMs come out and say player X is on the block? Or has been offered to so and so? Has that ever happened? Bowman is protecting his player, which is what he is expected to do. It's actually what he should have done at the Summer Summit, but didn't.

Quote:
Never mind the fact they didn't offer any specifics regarding the deal - as in whether or not the Hawks were demanding we take back a horrible salary in the deal along with Bolland...

Until I hear something from someone connected to the team I will give Canuck management the benefit of the doubt they're not floating names of opposition players - something they said they wouldn't do. If they're not floating names of Leaf players, they're not going to do it with other teams IMO.

Who said it is the Canucks? Who knows how Botchford got said information? Or Lalji for that matter. The bigger question is why do they get out on a limb to report it, when reports from these sources about the Canucks have been few and far between before. Especially for Lalji. They don't unless there is something to it...

You can take a kernel of truth from it, even if not completely sold on it. It references a potential trade getting shutdown by MG. Which is different from other rumours just citing the potential trade itself. Something to think about. 2 recognized sources saying it's been turfed. Have you got one saying it's still on? If you don't, then I suggest re-thinking your position. Otherwise it just sounds like you're pushing an agenda -- Which should be dismissed for what it is.

Closed Thread