HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reality about Goalkeeping.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:54 PM
beauchamp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
ESV% stands for even strength save percentage and I got that number right here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...hSavePctg&pg=3. Bernier is right there in 73rd with a .901 ESV%. By comparison, James Reimer is tied for 48th with a .918. I'd appreciate it if you'd read my post over twice before calling me a liar.
Egg on my face.

My sincere apologies.

I'll delete my comments.

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:05 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Egg on my face.

My sincere apologies.

I'll delete my comments.
I was in Laval just two weeks ago; didnt think there were many Leaf fans there. Props for manning up.

New Liskeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:16 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Egg on my face.

My sincere apologies.

I'll delete my comments.
Eh, misunderstandings happen. I appreciate it.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:21 PM
echlfreak

not to belabor the point but Ellis .923 EV SV%....sign him for cheap!!!!!!!!!

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:27 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

goaltending is only important if you like playing hockey after the regular season is over.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:38 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
I was in Laval just two weeks ago; didnt think there were many Leaf fans there. Props for manning up.
1. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. No shame in admitting it.

2. I'm not a Leafs fan, but a Habs fan who simply is trying his best to preserve his fragile illusions that the vast majority of Habs fans are intelligent, civilized, rational people, and thus is never visiting the Habs Board.

3. I've got a brother who's a Leafs fan (black sheep of the family), another who's a Hawks fan (he was 10 when they won their next to last Cup), and I love talking about hockey. The Leafs board is interesting.

4. One of my four sisters became a Wings fan when the Habs traded the love of her life (Mickey Redmond) to them.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:43 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:

2. I'm not a Leafs fan, but a Habs fan who simply is trying his best to preserve his fragile illusions that the vast majority of Habs fans are intelligent, civilized, rational people, and thus is never visiting the Habs Board.

3. I've got a brother who's a Leafs fan (black sheep of the family), another who's a Hawks fan (he was 10 when they won their next to last Cup), and I love talking about hockey. The Leafs board is interesting.

4. One of my four sisters became a Wings fan when the Habs traded the love of her life (Mickey Redmond) to them.
Explains alot; carry on.

New Liskeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Explains a lot; carry on.
In a good way, in a bad way, or a little bit of both?

Old
07-31-2012, 09:54 PM
paulster2626
Don't Mess with me

vCash: 400
Goaltending is the single most important position in hockey. It changes everything.

If you don't know this, you don't play hockey.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Steve

3 years ago, we were told, if the team plays like they did when Dion first arrived we would be a good team. Next year it was "we finished the year very strong and we should be able to run that into next year". Last year it was "Reimer is our guy and he's a legit #1 goalie and will get us into the playoffs". I'm praying we're not, yet again, hoping or expecting someone to play well who has shown flashes in the past year or 2.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:03 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Since Maurice was fired the goaltending has been brutal.

Hasn't mattered who was between the pipes, and whether they rebounded after they left the team or not.

You think Mike Smith in Phoenix wonders if a goaltender coach can have an impact, or maybe a team that has a coach who implements an intelligent system?

The problem is/was:

1) Goaltenders
2) Coaching
3) System
4) All of the above

In 2007-2008 Osgoode had the best GAA in the league. Better than Hasek his partner. Osgoode played 2 more games than Hasek. Maybe Osgoode was underrated, but was he ever the best goaltender?

I think the Leafs could be okay going with the young guys if Carlyle can implement a system, and at this point I doubt there is anyone on the Leafs who will resist changing a system that until now has been a complete failure.

Anyone who resists, should be shipped out ASAP, because their heart will not be on team results, but on personal results.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:12 AM
devilishleafs

I think the Leafs will be fine with Reimer and Scrivens. I'm hoping more for a #1C and a shutdown D-man. I dont think its the goaltending tbh. Last few years it was that crummy system Wilson implemented. If anything you will see guys like Mac and Connolly suffer from the defensive game.

devilishleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Goaltending is the single most important position in hockey. It changes everything.

If you don't know this, you don't play hockey.
Under the B...10....B10....WE HAVE A BINGO!!!!!!

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Rinzler

I'm not ready to write off Reimer and Scrivens just yet. I really would like to see a full season of Reimer healthy first. So far the results of an uninjured Reimer have been excellent. I'm confident that Scrivens will do just fine as a backup as well.

We lack assurances but given the team is young, I'm not too worried about that as pretty much the rest of the team is lacks veteran depth as well. If the team was a contender and has the expectations of going deep in the playoffs with no solid veteran presence in net, it's a different story entirely.

I'll support the decision either way but ideally I'd like to see us stay the course on the rebuild for the time being.

If a healthy Reimer posts a .900 avg by the break then yeah we will need to make a move most definitely. Don't see it happening though. Reimer has what it takes to play in this market which is worth a lot more than we give him credit for.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:22 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
I am not comfortable with the idea of Reimer and Scrivens going in head first and expected to carry the team to the promise land. I would have more confidence if we could obtain goalies such as Huet, Conklin and Theodore whom all have experience stepping up when the game is on the line.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:16 PM
darrylsittler27

I think Burke wants better than that.

If those guys failed,he looks even worse.Burke will wait for a bonafide goalie at a fair price.How long will the strike last?

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:18 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Quote:

I'm shocked and appalled. (not really)

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:18 PM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Two words: Roberto Luongo

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
Two words: Roberto Luongo
Certainly a possibility, there's no doubt the Leafs would be a better team with Luongo between the pipes for the foreseeable future.

Though I think Burke has made it abundantly clear that he'll make that move only if it's under his own terms ("a price that makes sense") meaning he will not sacrifice any of his key prospects to make it happen.

That pretty much rules out Kadri, Rielly, Finn, Biggs, Percy, D'Amigo, Frattin, Colborne, Blacker and 1st round picks being included in any deals for Luongo.

Until Gillis is ready to cut the price to the levels Burke requires, the staring contest will go on for quite some time. Burke never makes moves out of desperation, we know that and quite honestly, I don't think they are all that desperate in the first place. There's no doubt a #1 goalie is ideal but they are confident in Reimer's ability and drive too.

Anyway, this all has been discussed at great length already. We'll just have to wait and see. Either way we're moving in the right direction.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
dfunk

The thing i don't agree with when people say they don't want to hinder Scrivens development by leaving him in the A is that the guy is going to be 26 when the season starts. one would have to think that he's pretty near his ceiling right now, hasn't done anything in the NHL really, and i think if he wants a one way deal we don't do it and let him walk. That is, if we do find a good backup. I know theres examples of goalies hitting their prime late in their careers (tim thomas being the extreme), but honestly. He's not really a prospect anymore, hes 26, give em a 2 way deal. sign a proven backup (ellis my preference) and give scrivens a shot when injuries come up. Though he was spectacular in the A last year, i sort of get the feeling he's one of those guys that just doesn't have the game to get to the next level. I dunno, the thought of him being guaranteed a spot on the roster makes me nervous

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:23 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post
The thing i don't agree with when people say they don't want to hinder Scrivens development by leaving him in the A is that the guy is going to be 26 when the season starts. one would have to think that he's pretty near his ceiling right now, hasn't done anything in the NHL really, and i think if he wants a one way deal we don't do it and let him walk. That is, if we do find a good backup. I know theres examples of goalies hitting their prime late in their careers (tim thomas being the extreme), but honestly. He's not really a prospect anymore, hes 26, give em a 2 way deal. sign a proven backup (ellis my preference) and give scrivens a shot when injuries come up. Though he was spectacular in the A last year, i sort of get the feeling he's one of those guys that just doesn't have the game to get to the next level. I dunno, the thought of him being guaranteed a spot on the roster makes me nervous
Among active players, yes. But Roloson was the same age when he became a #1, after a few years as a #2 or #1B.

Johnny Bower was even older (34) when he became a #1, if we forget his year on the Rangers which was followed by 5 years in the minors.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:35 PM
dfunk

Quote:
Among active players, yes. But Roloson was the same age when he became a #1, after a few years as a #2 or #1B.

Johnny Bower was even older (34) when he became a #1, if we forget his year on the Rangers which was followed by 5 years in the minors.
oh ****. can't believe i forgot johnny bower.

i was making a point dude

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Philkessel

wait i have been told and called stupid on HF a bunch of time for disagreeing that save% is a goalie stats and GAA is a team stat so team and system doesnt matter in save %

Philkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:04 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post
oh ****. can't believe i forgot johnny bower.

i was making a point dude
You should be ashamed of yourself.

And I was adding to your point...

Old
08-02-2012, 02:09 PM
dfunk

Quote:
You should be ashamed of yourself.

And I was adding to your point...