HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Summer Olympics

Old
08-13-2012, 08:22 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
One of the many reasons why I'm really hoping Toronto doesn't win an Olympic bid. If they win it, Canada will be forced to spend on it like they did for Vancouver.
Toronto will get the summer games at some point, I say 2024 or 2028.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:20 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
I would rather money put into health care, ensuring our countries remains strong economically, etc then have them waste ridiculous amounts of money so for two weeks every four years, i can fist pump that we have the best equestrian rider in the world.
To be fair, athletics is a large program that acts as an outlet for underprivileged/troubled children. This can help create opportunities for individuals who might not have had any other options.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
To be fair, athletics is a large program that acts as an outlet for underprivileged/troubled children. This can help create opportunities for individuals who might not have had any other options.
Yes but developing athletes and encouraging the kids in particular and the population in general to be more active is one thing and producing medal winning athletes is another. I don't think we should spend too much public funds on best of the best elite athletes in the hope they win medals in this international pissing contest that is the Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
It's just a matter of time. There isn't a whole lot of countries on this continent who can host the Games so...

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 08-13-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:55 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
It's just a matter of time. There isn't a whole lot of countries on this continent who can host the Games so...
Especially if they can do a good Pan Am games in 2015 just like Rio did in 2007.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
Great... if that happens all the "experts" will tell the entire country that we will win hundreds of medals and of course the Canadian athletes will follow the "winning" traditions of the Maple Leafs and they will all compete but absolutely no one will be remotely nowhere near the top or win a medal. But Toronto will make tons of cash and claim it was Montreal's fault they didnt win anything at all...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
As led zeppelin is one of my fave bands of all time they broke up a while ago and will never ever play together again
Doesn't matter, you don't need Sting and Stewart Copeland to get together either. You can still have a newer band play some of their music. And there's no way the Rolling Stones shouldn't have been played some way or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
That made no difference with Beady Eye playing an Oasis song, or some randoms playing Pink Floyd (seriously, why couldn't they get David Gilmour?).
Exactly.

At least have some video montage of some of these bands even if it's just for a little bit. At least there's acknowledgement. It just seemed weird not to see those artists acknowledged in some way.

Not a huge deal, just weird.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote