Red Sox/MLB 2012 Thread Part XVI

Part XV http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1234009

Have at it and "Go Sox"

07-31-2012, 10:40 PM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Not even being sarcastic. Mark Bellhorn is my favorite player of all time.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:40 PM
EverettMike

Last thread recap:

"****ing Beckett."

Okay, proceed!

Old
07-31-2012, 10:41 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Not even being sarcastic. Mark Bellhorn is my favorite player of all time.
My friend loves Bellhorn the same way.

Boston owes him an apology. Shameful the way he was treated here in 2005.

Double that for Foulke.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:49 PM
kman22

Nomar Garciaparra
Pedro Martinez
Mo Vaughn

That was my top 3.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:50 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
But seriously though, the friendly Fenway crowed boo'ed Beckett off, this is a big step up from last September/October.

Beckett Boo'ed/ A win / No Sweet Caroline

Good night indeed.
I had a post queued up just before the game started about what happens if Beckett gets shelled but I guess it didn't go through.

In any event, we're now in to August and I think that both the diehards and pink hats are starting to see the world the same way.

I get a solid pulse check with the pink hat crowd 81 times a year as my subway car rolls past Kenmore and the fans going to games just have a different feel to them now. A deflated, defeated type of feel. Even the most optimistic casual fan can see that they need to go about .660 the rest of the way just to make the playoffs. This alone doesn't permeate the fanboy/girl membranes, but they do pay attention to "compete level" on the team. With the way the club approached the deadline first as big-time sellers (Beckett, Crawford, and Saltalamacchia all named with varying degrees of accuracy) before opting for a sigle bullpen piece, it became clear that not only can't they compete, the brass isn't really even trying to compete.

It may sound silly to the diehards and stat-based community, but the optics of the Red Sox paying "dirtdog" Kevin Youkilis to play in Chicago will do more damage to their popularity among the pink hats than a stretch of close losses.

It's starting to hit home and baseball in Boston is beginning to undergo a long, overdue market correction. I, for one, eagerly await this.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:01 PM
TwistedWristah
Boston Strong

If I had to make a list of my top 5 favorites...Pedro, Papi, Trot, Manny (too many good memories for me not to put him here), and some tie between Lowell/Mueller/Millar/Damon/Pokey Reese/Bellhorn. Last spot is a tough call lol.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:08 PM
GarbageGoal
Frozen 4 Friars!!!!!

Dwight Evans will always be my favorite.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

I still remember the bellhorn homer in game seven against the yanks in 04 not that it was too long ago.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I said this last post in the last thread, but I miss the days when you could hear the question "who's your favorite Red Sox" and say "Roger Clemens" unironically. He was one of my boyhood baseball heroes. It tears me up what he's done to that legacy.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:32 AM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
I still remember the bellhorn homer in game seven against the yanks in 04 not that it was too long ago.
Best part of that whole HR, was Fox interviewing that dude who caught it trying to convince themselves it was foul.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:32 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Glad the topic came up because I debated this with my friend the other day about favorite Red Sox players of our lifetime:

1. Pedro - Not even close. Performance on the field and for how he was off the field. We'll never see the likes of him again.

2. Papi - Despite his complaining nowadays, you have to remember what the guy did in 2004.

3. Clemens - Yeah, yeah. I know. I still wear my 1987 Clemens jersey to Fenway on occasion, and absolutely nobody calls me on it which amuses me greatly. Except when one kid said to his father "Daddy, who's #21?"

Old
08-01-2012, 06:37 AM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Also, kudos to Clayton Mortenson, dude's been solid in 3 call ups. I'd like to see him stick.

As for my top 3 favorite Sox in my lifetime:
1. Pedro - Not even close. Guy was special to watch. Everytime you watched him pitch, you thought you could potentially see something special happen.

2. Bill Mueller - Professional hitter. Took the right approach to the game, and loved the pick up before the season started. Shame his knees decided to fall apart.

3. Manny Ramirez - Say what you will about 'Manny being Manny', and all the PED BS after he left the Sox, but the guy was something else to watch. Easily the best RH hitter I've ever seen. And for all his faults, his quirkiness definitely kept the rest of the clubhouse loose. The walkoff HR he hit in game 2 against the Angels in the 07 ALDS was awesome, and it a defining photo (hands raised standing at home plate).

Honorable mentions to: Ortiz, Nomar, Pedroia, Daubach, Trot, Clemens, and Valentin.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:41 AM
ODAAT

I don`t follow MLB too closely but every time I "check in" to see what`s going on in Sox land, seems like there`s always drama, and a circus-like atmosphere, is it a year for them like the Habs last year??? Not trying to stir it up, just askin, again, as a fair weather fan at best, this is what I seem to be observing?

Valentine just never seemed like a logical fit, especially after a guy like Francona (who must be absolutely doubled over with laughter at this stage)

Old
08-01-2012, 06:43 AM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Dwight Evans will always be my favorite.
I am with you.

#1 Dewey
#2 Pedro
#3 Papi

Old
08-01-2012, 06:47 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I don`t follow MLB too closely but every time I "check in" to see what`s going on in Sox land, seems like there`s always drama, and a circus-like atmosphere, is it a year for them like the Habs last year??? Not trying to stir it up, just askin, again, as a fair weather fan at best, this is what I seem to be observing?

Valentine just never seemed like a logical fit, especially after a guy like Francona (who must be absolutely doubled over with laughter at this stage)
Nothing could be that bad. If I had to compare the Sox to an NHL team in this past season, I'd say Buffalo. With Ellsbury playing the role of Ryan Miller....lot of big ticket guys underperforming (Beckett/Leino). Buffalo wasn't a bad team by any means but much more was expected.

Besides, Valentine can't speak French! Can speak Japanese though!

Old
08-01-2012, 06:51 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309 View Post
Nothing could be that bad. If I had to compare the Sox to an NHL team in this past season, I'd say Buffalo. With Ellsbury playing the role of Ryan Miller....lot of big ticket guys underperforming (Beckett/Leino). Buffalo wasn't a bad team by any means but much more was expected.

Besides, Valentine can't speak French! Can speak Japanese though!
Haha, thx for claifying, as an example, today, woke up and checked in on NESN where there`s an article about Bobby V and Cherington not being on the same page re: Crawfords '4 day plan', probably shouldn`t have used the Habs as an example, not a great place to do so

Old
08-01-2012, 06:52 AM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
Haha, thx for claifying, as an example, today, woke up and checked in on NESN where there`s an article about Bobby V and Cherington not being on the same page re: Crawfords '4 day plan', probably shouldn`t have used the Habs as an example, not a great place to do so
Yeah that's accurate. Bobby V was a Larry hire, Cherrington wanted nothing to do with him, but got overruled.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:57 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Yeah that's accurate. Bobby V was a Larry hire, Cherrington wanted nothing to do with him, but got overruled.
It just appeared on the surface as a hire that the front office made to specifically go 100% against the character grain that Francona had/brought into that clubhouse??

They searched for Francona`s exact opposite

Old
08-01-2012, 06:59 AM
HartfordBruin
3rd Cav

My favorite Red Sox from boyhood to now:

1. Nomar
2. Pedro
3. Papi
4. Trot Nixon
5. Wakefield

Old
08-01-2012, 07:01 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordBruin View Post
My favorite Red Sox from boyhood to now:

1. Nomar
2. Pedro
3. Papi
4. Trot Nixon
5. Wakefield
Tide never sold as much laundry detergent as when Trot was playing, loved him, well, as much a guy who watches maybe 30-40 games a year can

Old
08-01-2012, 07:02 AM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
It just appeared on the surface as a hire that the front office made to specifically go 100% against the character grain that Francona had/brought into that clubhouse??

They searched for Francona`s exact opposite
Pretty much.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
I think they just searched first for a celebrity for the "tv show" as Felger and Mazz like to call it. As for being this tough manager who was the opposite of Francona.....Yes at one time, but that time is long past. I think Bobby V has had his authority cut off and basically has checked out on this team after that anyway.
Larry wanted the name recognition so the fans would like the move. Forget the fact the guy hadn't managed in years.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

It's pretty clear that this team is run by Lucchino. It took him 2 day to make Cherington look like a lame duck GM and since then, everybody knows that Cherington is not calling the shots ( Bobby V hiring is a prime example ) and that's reason why this team is so dysfunctional, right now. Henry was displeased with Epstein last 2 years and gave Larry a blank check. It's not working and i doubt very much it will until: 1- Lucchino is going far and away from baseball operations or 2- Henry sell the team.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
It's pretty clear that this team is run by Lucchino. It took him 2 day to make Cherington look like a lame duck GM and since then, everybody knows that Cherington is not calling the shots ( Bobby V hiring is a prime example ) and that's reason why this team is so dysfunctional, right now. Henry was displeased with Epstein last 2 years and gave Larry a blank check. It's not working and i doubt very much it will until: 1- Lucchino is going far and away from baseball operation or 2- Henry sell the team.
but Fenway has all those nice plaqs and is a historic site. Did you know it's Fenways 100th anniversary?
Larry's busy hawking anything and everything to care about the team on the field.

Closed Thread