HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Sox/MLB 2012 Thread Part XVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2012, 07:30 AM
  #26
Latrappe
If Cam allow it
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
but Fenway has all those nice plaqs and is a historic site. Did you know it's Fenways 100th anniversary?
Larry's busy hawking anything and everything to care about the team on the field.
Not sure that Boston fans will accept this situation very long. We can see, already, that the tickets are not selling the way they were in the past. Maybe the fans are ready to send to strong signal to Larry and Henry-pool that the Sox are more then a business...

Latrappe is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 07:47 AM
  #27
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,994
vCash: 500
My favorites over the course of my fanship: Yaz, Lynn, Rice, Fisk, Boggs, Pedro, Mo Vaugh, Manny, Papi, Pedroia.

LSCII is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 09:21 AM
  #28
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,039
vCash: 500
Interesting article on Beckett by Pete Abraham. http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ckett_and.html

Kate08 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 09:37 AM
  #29
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 5,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Interesting article on Beckett by Pete Abraham. http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ckett_and.html
it wasn't just Beckett getting booed. It was Larry, Ben, Henry & that other little clown.

While I wouldn't do it, I understand it. Beckett has brought this on himself.
Some can call it a media creation and us silly fans are sheep just following along, but Beckett needs to take a look in the mirror.
His act is tired.

Therick67 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
  #30
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 15,161
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Interesting article on Beckett by Pete Abraham. http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ckett_and.html
The negative reaction to all this is beyond ridiculous and hypocritical. Red Sox fans for the better part of the past decade have been labeled "Pink Hats". It was never more clear than the failed starters walking off the mound to cheers in late September last season when they continued to blow game after game. It was apparent no one gave a **** then.

Now? People seems to be giving a **** and they are getting chastised for it? Got to love that. Yes in a bubble, it is unfair to boo an injured player, but nothing happens in a bubble, especially in Boston when it comes to baseball.

This is like the bear that mauls off an innocent childs arm who just happened to stick in its cage. Everyone things how horrific the bear is. Well, they weren't there to see the 100's of other kids poking the bear with sticks/throwing rocks at it. Thing are bound to reach a breaking point.

Another example is with Ferrence going nuts on the Atlanta Thrashers for hitting Lucic in December 2010. In a bubble it seems like an overreaction, but in the weeks leading up to that incident the Bruins manhood had been called into question. It was the right move at the right time.


What the fans did last night was something I didn't think I would hear this soon. A overall sense of anger, not from the people watching at home, but for those paying to see this team. I think FC said it well earlier, this is the beginning of the backlash

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 09:43 AM
  #31
Latrappe
If Cam allow it
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
The negative reaction to all this is beyond ridiculous and hypocritical. Red Sox fans for the better part of the past decade have been labeled "Pink Hats". It was never more clear than the failed starters walking off the mound to cheers in late September last season when they continued to blow game after game. It was apparent no one gave a **** then.

Now? People seems to be giving a **** and they are getting chastised for it? Got to love that. Yes in a bubble, it is unfair to boo an injured player, but nothing happens in a bubble, especially in Boston when it comes to baseball.

This is like the bear that mauls off an innocent childs arm who just happened to stick in its cage. Everyone things how horrific the bear is. Well, they weren't there to see the 100's of other kids poking the bear with sticks/throwing rocks at it. Thing are bound to reach a breaking point.

Another example is with Ferrence going nuts on the Atlanta Thrashers for hitting Lucic in December 2010. In a bubble it seems like an overreaction, but in the weeks leading up to that incident the Bruins manhood had been called into question. It was the right move at the right time.


What the fans did last night was something I didn't think I would hear this soon. A overall sense of anger, not from the people watching at home, but for those paying to see this team. I think FC said it well earlier, this is the beginning of the backlash
Funny to see Abraham ( and other writers ) lamenting regarding fans's reaction when they were all over the chicken and beer jokes, this winter...


Last edited by Latrappe: 08-01-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Latrappe is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
  #32
MarshmontMcSlewfoot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
Sox are alright.

THis is a different year in the AL only 3 teams are bad and noncontenders (Sea, Min, KC) everyone else is a decent team and can get the extra WC spot of course.

The lineup is good. SP is not but things aren't going their way give it a month and the starters could look better.

A couple of teams like Cleveland, Tor, Balt, TB, Oakland will fall apart and be out of it in a month. This team can win games without amazing SP. I think they do get to that 1 game playoff.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
  #33
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Funny to see Abraham ( and other writers ) lamenting regarding fans's reaction when they were all over the chicken and beer jokes, this winter...
That's a really good point.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:08 AM
  #34
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Sox are alright.

THis is a different year in the AL only 3 teams are bad and noncontenders (Sea, Min, KC) everyone else is a decent team and can get the extra WC spot of course.

The lineup is good. SP is not but things aren't going their way give it a month and the starters could look better.

A couple of teams like Cleveland, Tor, Balt, TB, Oakland will fall apart and be out of it in a month. This team can win games without amazing SP. I think they do get to that 1 game playoff.
Will you be satisfied with this season if they do make it to that one game playoff, and losE?

Kate08 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:21 AM
  #35
Mancini0518
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Sox are alright.

THis is a different year in the AL only 3 teams are bad and noncontenders (Sea, Min, KC) everyone else is a decent team and can get the extra WC spot of course.

The lineup is good. SP is not but things aren't going their way give it a month and the starters could look better.

A couple of teams like Cleveland, Tor, Balt, TB, Oakland will fall apart and be out of it in a month. This team can win games without amazing SP. I think they do get to that 1 game playoff.
So you think the starters will get better once they have 150+ innings on theirs arms? If they sucked this much to start the year its not going to get any better once they are tired in September

Mancini0518 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 10:52 AM
  #36
DohBruins
Registered User
 
DohBruins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
Adam LaRoche is my favorite Red Sock of all time.

DohBruins is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
  #37
PurpleShamrock
Registered User
 
PurpleShamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New England
Country: United States
Posts: 2,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
My favorites over the course of my fanship: Yaz, Lynn, Rice, Fisk, Boggs, Pedro, Mo Vaugh, Manny, Papi, Pedroia.
Excellent list! Personally I would add Dwight Evans (my favorite player growing up) and Nomar to it.

PurpleShamrock is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
  #38
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan02190 View Post
Adam LaRoche is my favorite Red Sock of all time.
Was at the game where he hit his first home run as part of the red sox. What a glorious week that was.

kman22 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
  #39
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,039
vCash: 500
The Abraham article is interesting in terms of trying to put Beckett and his contract into "perspective". The issue I have with it is the guys he's comparing Beckett to salary-wise (Verlander, Sabbathia, Hernandez, Weaver) haven't been plagued with injury. Beckett is a walking ****ing injury, and he's paid that salary to pitch and keep himeself in pitching shape

Kate08 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 12:23 PM
  #40
Latrappe
If Cam allow it
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
The Abraham article is interesting in terms of trying to put Beckett and his contract into "perspective". The issue I have with it is the guys he's comparing Beckett to salary-wise (Verlander, Sabbathia, Hernandez, Weaver) haven't been plagued with injury. Beckett is a walking ****ing injury, and he's paid that salary to pitch and keep himeself in pitching shape
Biggest problem for Abraham: he's speaking from both side of the mouth. That's why he's losing credibility whatever he's writing...

Latrappe is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 12:37 PM
  #41
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShamrock View Post
Excellent list! Personally I would add Dwight Evans (my favorite player growing up) and Nomar to it.
Crap! That's why I don't do lists usually. I always forget at least a couple of great ones. Dewey was a favorite as well, and I even got to meet him. He was really nice.

LSCII is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 12:51 PM
  #42
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 25,405
vCash: 500
People that saw the 67 Sox talk about Yaz the way writers of the Gospels talked about Jesus.

If you ever look at his numbers down the stretch I think he batted something like 900 in clutch situations.

EverettMike is online now  
Old
08-01-2012, 01:05 PM
  #43
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,039
vCash: 500
I can hear Felger smiling while talking about Beckett being boo'd. I can seriously hear it.

It's amazing. I can't remember the last time he was this happy about anything.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 01:06 PM
  #44
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 15,161
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Felger gets it!

I know I am not alone!

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 01:06 PM
  #45
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 15,161
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
People that saw the 67 Sox talk about Yaz the way writers of the Gospels talked about Jesus.

If you ever look at his numbers down the stretch I think he batted something like 900 in clutch situations.
I just looked it up... 800 with the bases loaded.

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 01:08 PM
  #46
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 25,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris wanchuk View Post
i just looked it up... 800 with the bases loaded.
decent.

EverettMike is online now  
Old
08-01-2012, 04:01 PM
  #47
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger
 
Ivyy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 9,025
vCash: 50
Lavarnway called up. Nava to DL with sore wrists. I wonder what he was doing.

Ivyy13 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 04:08 PM
  #48
Mancini0518
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
As much as i hate Beckett at this point and I'm happy he is getting ripped, I would really like to know what he did to Felger. I feel like if Beckett saved an elderly person from a retirement home Felger would still rip Beckett for not saving more people he hates him so much. Enough is enough

Mancini0518 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
  #49
Johnnyduke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,741
vCash: 500
Morris Wanchuk has it right. I'm not sure how someone who covers the team on a daily basis can be so out of touch. Does Abraham not have the pulse of this fan base? Apparently not.

Johnnyduke is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 06:04 PM
  #50
Johnnyduke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,741
vCash: 500
A win tonight pulls the Sox even with the Tigers and within 2.5 of Oakland for the 2nd Wild Card.

Johnnyduke is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.