HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Hockey Stick Curves

Old
08-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

vCash: 500
Best Hockey Stick Curves

What are the best curves, either that you have played with or that work good for different player types? (Sniper/Playmaker)

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:12 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Blade curves are 110% personal preference. There's not one blade that works well for any position or play type I don't think.

I just use a Reebok P34 Hamrlik (P88 clone) and it works well as an all-around blade.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:52 PM
hlaverty06

I personally like EQ20 with Zetterberg curve

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:38 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Blade curves are 110% personal preference. There's not one blade that works well for any position or play type I don't think.

I just use a Reebok P34 Hamrlik (P88 clone) and it works well as an all-around blade.
this....bottom line answer

i use the sakic/hall/draper, have tried to use even a slightly different cure (same curve, smaller face) and cant for the life of me change...so for better or worse that curve and me will be together forever

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:54 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
How do you play? Do you have trouble getting shots to go top shelf? Do you have trouble keeping shots down? What curves are you using now?

I find sauce easier to throw around with a less open face but shooting high with strength much easier with an open face.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:05 PM
7toZulu

I like the ccm ovechkin curve, mostly because I notice the added power to wrist shots. I would like something slightly less open on the face though, because my shots are consistently top shelf. My slapper has gone down the tubes also with this curve as opposed to the reebok datsyuk curve I was using before

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:49 AM
jazz4all

depends on what position. for me, as D: mid (sakic)or mid-heel (ztterberg). as forward: heel (drury)

jazz4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:17 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post

They are preference, but it's usually preference based on your style of play. For example, a shoot-first winger playing his off-wing probably isn't going to like am Easton Zetterberg curve, because it is better suited for the type of player who looks to pass with precision and take a lot of backhanders.

If the P34 is a P88 clone then it's one of those good all-around curves that doesn't really give you an advantage or disadvantage in any area.

Most beginner to intermediate players will benefit from a good all-around curve, especially if they're playing in a league where they flip around between positions a lot. If your game tends to lean towards one position (IE playing D full time) or one style (dangle and shoot) it makes sense to pick a blade that accentuates your strengths.

One of the misleading things about blade selection is the use of player names on curves. I can't think of many players that actually use the blade they have their name on, so don't pick a blade because you like that player's style of play.

Personally I have a 100 flex stick w/ Zetterberg curve (mid-heel) for playing D and a 85 flex stick w/ Iginla curve for playing forward (mid).

Last edited by noobman: 08-05-2012 at 11:24 AM.
noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:25 AM
ponder

As stated, curves are literally 100% personal preference, there's no right or wrong answer.

In terms of the most POPULAR curves, at the recreational level I'd say they're Sakic type curves (open mid curve), Iginla type curves (closed mid curves), and Modano type curves (fairly closed mid-heel curves). At the pro level I'd say the most popular are Drury type curves (open heel wedges) and Sakic type curves.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:59 AM
mexicohockey

Check out this:

http://howtohockey.com/hockey-stick-curve-guide

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Flygirl16

I use an Easton Mako with a Getzlaf curve, I love having the square toe on my blade

Flygirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

It depends on how you like to play and preference. There's no best overall curve, but there's a preferred curve for each situation.

e.g. It's a lot easier to cup the puck with the Sakic curve. It's also a lot easier to get up a high, strong backhander with a Zetterberg curve. Etc, etc.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
How do you play? Do you have trouble getting shots to go top shelf? Do you have trouble keeping shots down? What curves are you using now?

I find sauce easier to throw around with a less open face but shooting high with strength much easier with an open face.
I am more of a playmaker, partly because I used to have terrible finishing skills, and playing road hockey since I was 6ish with 5 guys on my street, (Most of them snipers) but I still have a so-so shot. (Don't really get top shelf, but usually get about to the halfway point from crossbar to ground) I have a P88 curve.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote