HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Captain Dion Phaneuf fight more often?

View Poll Results: Should Captain Dion Phaneuf fight more often?
No. We don't any trouble. 9 14.75%
Yes. It's part of the game and we to be the more physical team. 10 16.39%
No. He logs too many minutes and his hands must be preserved. 41 67.21%
Yes. The message: "Don't mess with us" should be stated loud & clear. 20 32.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2012, 10:00 AM
  #1
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Should Captain Dion Phaneuf fight more often?

I'm watching old playoff highlights and every leaf captain is involved in a playoff superscuffle.

I can't recall Sundin doing it, but Sittler, Wendel, and Gilmour were all involved in fights. So often Gilmour and Wendel were involved with players a lot bigger than them. It boost your team and your fans.

If Dion could fight at least 10 times a season i think this could really lift the team. He doesn't have to win them all, but he has to tell the rest of the NHL that it's not going to be easy in our end of the ice/in our barn.

What do you think?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:03 AM
  #2
CodeBlue*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
He should be more like Alfie and shoot pucks at other players.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:08 AM
  #3
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,938
vCash: 500
Where do you come up with this stuff; honestly? Dion is the most important defender on the Toronto maple Leafs, everytime he fights, he's in the box and the Leafs are missing their best defender. He will always fight due to the way he plays, don;t want to see him fight more than he has to.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:09 AM
  #4
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
I'm watching old playoff highlights and every leaf captain is involved in a playoff superscuffle.

I can't recall Sundin doing it, but Sittler, Wendel, and Gilmour were all involved in fights. So often Gilmour and Wendel were involved with players a lot bigger than them. It boost your team and your fans.

If Dion could fight at least 10 times a season i think this could really lift the team. He doesn't have to win them all, but he has to tell the rest of the NHL that it's not going to be easy in our end of the ice/in our barn.

What do you think?
Asking/expecting 50+ extra minutes a year sitting in the penalty box is a stupid idea. And while Gilmour was scrappy, I don't remember him fighting.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:09 AM
  #5
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Edits:

*want

*have

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
  #6
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Asking/expecting 50+ extra minutes a year sitting in the penalty box is a stupid idea. And while Gilmour was scrappy, I don't remember him fighting.
Look up on youTube. San Jose vs Toronto playoffs. Now he wasn't rock'em sock'em, but he threw a few.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:14 AM
  #7
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
 
Patmac40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,547
vCash: 500
He shouldn't go out of his way to fight people. If he finds himself in a position where he needs to back up a teammate or it's the only way to spark the team, then it's fine. But he's too important to us on the ice to have him sitting out 5 minutes at a time.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:24 AM
  #8
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 500
Yes, in the "new NHL" with the importance of special teams and the increasing number of teams winning games on the power play I want our best dman sittin in te box for 5 minutes at a time or 5 months in the pressbox with a broken hand.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:25 AM
  #9
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
LOL!

Doug Gilmour had 100, and 105 PIM in 93 & 94. Are you telling me that he wasn't the most important player? Are you telling me that a Selke Trophy winner wasn't needed on the ice to kill penalties.

Give me a break!

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:25 AM
  #10
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Should definitely not fight any more than he does. Three fighting majors is sufficient to keep players aware that he will answer the bell when needed. But, as others have said, he needs to be on the ice. Although I'm always down for a Horton-Phaneuf throw-down.

I think Komisarek should fight more often though

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:26 AM
  #11
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,947
vCash: 50
Difference in my opinion is that Phaneuf is a defenseman and the others were forwards. We can't have our captain defenseman sitting out for 5 minutes often, especially in the playoffs. In the end Phaneuf would miss about 2-2.5 minutes of ice time. The forwards who fight would miss maybe 1.5 minutes and even then it's easier for the forwards to make up the ice time throughout the game.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:27 AM
  #12
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Yes, in the "new NHL" with the importance of special teams and the increasing number of teams winning games on the power play I want our best dman sittin in te box for 5 minutes at a time or 5 months in the pressbox with a broken hand.
We can't be turn-the-other-cheek ever again RC and BB hopefully will address that. If this team can't muster some emotion then they just aren't playing NHL hockey.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:28 AM
  #13
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,777
vCash: 500
Fight?Nah, once in a while its ok but you dont want one of your better players and team captains off the ice for 5 minutes. Its important he's there

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:31 AM
  #14
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Difference in my opinion is that Phaneuf is a defenseman and the others were forwards. We can't have our captain defenseman sitting out for 5 minutes often, especially in the playoffs. In the end Phaneuf would miss about 2-2.5 minutes of ice time. The forwards who fight would miss maybe 1.5 minutes and even then it's easier for the forwards to make up the ice time throughout the game.
The difference is emotion. If the plan is to lull teams to sleep think again.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:31 AM
  #15
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,483
vCash: 500
I don't think he is particularly good at it, so no.

If it happens it happens.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:34 AM
  #16
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
We can't be turn-the-other-cheek ever again RC and BB hopefully will address that. If this team can't muster some emotion then they just aren't playing NHL hockey.
No we can't be, and that lies as the reaponsibility of the team as a whole, not one single player. Look at the bruins. Their image as a "don't mess with us team" is because of their team - not one single player.

There's a fine line between being "turn-the-other-cheek" and just plain dumb (ie, knowing the right time to fight). Dion is one of the players coaches say "know when he's on the ice!" about. His physical play shows that he won't be pushed around. He doesn't new to start dropping the gloves everyone someone checks a teammate.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:36 AM
  #17
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I don't think he is particularly good at it, so no.

If it happens it happens.
Gilmour didn't have the size or the punching power to attempt knockouts. He did however stand up for his team. He doesn't have to win or be good. Just be! C'mon Dion! Emotion already!

Clearly we are crap team if we can't find a 5 min replacement for our defender. What? JML and Gardiner are too soft to kill penalties? Maybe we should re-think our roster (considerably!).

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
  #18
CodeBlue*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Clearly we are crap team if we can't find a 5 min replacement for our defender. What? JML and Gardiner are too soft to kill penalties? Maybe we should re-think our roster (considerably!).
Are you seriously advocating the idea that Phaneuf spend more time in the penalty box?

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:51 AM
  #19
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Gilmour didn't have the size or the punching power to attempt knockouts. He did however stand up for his team. He doesn't have to win or be good. Just be! C'mon Dion! Emotion already!

Clearly we are crap team if we can't find a 5 min replacement for our defender. What? JML and Gardiner are too soft to kill penalties? Maybe we should re-think our roster (considerably!).
Dion Phaneuf already led our team with 92 PM.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
  #20
I Believe
Registered User
 
I Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
It's usually some 4th liner challenging Phaneuf to a fight after Phaneuf lands a big hit on somebody. I'm perfectly fine with Phaneuf not fighting in those cases.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
  #21
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
Are you seriously advocating the idea that Phaneuf spend more time in the penalty box?
Clearly it's the only way to make us better.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:05 AM
  #22
Machinae
Registered User
 
Machinae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,514
vCash: 500
He should fight other name players like Horton or Hartnell when it comes to it, but not much else.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:06 AM
  #23
the squared circle
Registered User
 
the squared circle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Fight?Nah, once in a while its ok but you dont want one of your better players and team captains off the ice for 5 minutes. Its important he's there
But KuleminFan41, surely you remember when Kulemin was punched out and Phaneuf was standing right there, and didnt do ANYTHING. (the game against Carolina I believe). I couldn't believe it. Kulie probably couldn't believe it either.

I don't think he should fight all the time, but I believe he should fight more than he does now, which is very rarely.

the squared circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:06 AM
  #24
dubey
So hot right now
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hackey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,868
vCash: 500
If he can get someone that plays 20+ min a night to fight him - by all means...

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:12 AM
  #25
Leafidelity
Compete Level
 
Leafidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,512
vCash: 1775
His open ice hits are much more effective to the psyche of the other team(and ours) than his fighting.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.