HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting stats from the Stanley Cup

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2012, 08:55 AM
  #1
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,335
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Interesting stats from the Stanley Cup

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/6/14/2012...nal-zone-exits

Tracked the amount of defensive zone puck touches, carries, passes, clears, and turnovers for each player in the series. I think these numbers are more relevant for defensemen than forwards.

A couple of things are pretty apparent:
-LA had a better transitional game than NJ
-Drew Doughty is really good
-Rob Scuderi is helped tremendously by having Doughty as his partner
-Our defense got exposed for its inability to clear the puck
-Mark Fayne's wrist injury really hampered him. He turned the puck over in the defensive zone at the same rate that he successfully cleared it.
-Zidlicky is our best puck mover (no surprise)
-Peter Harrold is pretty good too, though
-Greene looks pretty good considering he was paired with Fayne, who was awful at clearing it
-Volchenkov and Salvador both turned it over a ton

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:01 AM
  #2
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,945
vCash: 500
I agree with 100% of those points. Maybe not sure about the Scuds being implicated that Doughty carried him, but still agree with it mostly.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:07 AM
  #3
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 41,734
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I interact with Corey on other sites. he knows his stuff.

good read.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:07 AM
  #4
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,335
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I agree with 100% of those points. Maybe not sure about the Scuds being implicated that Doughty carried him, but still agree with it mostly.
Basically, Scuderi rarely had to move the puck out of the zone. He had the good fortune of simply dumping it off to Doughty each time. Had he been with an inferior puck mover, Scuderi probably would have been exposed more.

Also, LA had way more puck touches in the defensive zone than NJ. I wonder if this indicates that NJ spent more time in LA's zone.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:12 AM
  #5
Baggy Spandex
The Nightman Cometh
 
Baggy Spandex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fake Rangerfanville
Country: United States
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post

Also, LA had way more puck touches in the defensive zone than NJ. I wonder if this indicates that NJ spent more time in LA's zone.
Wouldn't doubt it. We weren't being outplayed badly. Quick was just that ****ing good.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:19 AM
  #6
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Excellent. Also can we have a FMASC statistical statisticians thread of statistics? I was bout to post asking for a comparison between Elias and Nash using advanced stats.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:47 AM
  #7
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,945
vCash: 500
I actually thought we were outplayed pretty badly for long stretches for a few games. Game 1 comes to mind quickly.

And ya I can get behind that scuderi statement. That's why I'd like to see a puckmover with Volch and Salvador. Someone to help them get the puck out of the zone since neither of them can really do it efficiently.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:52 AM
  #8
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Inability to get the puck out of the zone...the same reason the team never passed the 2nd round since 03. Just this time the team was good enough to make up for it until the SCF.

Hell Zeon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:08 AM
  #9
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,335
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Excellent. Also can we have a FMASC statistical statisticians thread of statistics? I was bout to post asking for a comparison between Elias and Nash using advanced stats.
Elias is better. His 11-12 season was something to behold. A 36-year old finishing in the top 15 in scoring and dominating possession while going up against the other team's top lines and having decent, but decidedly unspectacular line mates. 11-12 was Elias' best season after 00-01.

But good call on that thread. Might have to start one soon.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:10 AM
  #10
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,335
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I actually thought we were outplayed pretty badly for long stretches for a few games. Game 1 comes to mind quickly.

And ya I can get behind that scuderi statement. That's why I'd like to see a puckmover with Volch and Salvador. Someone to help them get the puck out of the zone since neither of them can really do it efficiently.
I thought we were outplayed badly for stretches as well. LA definitely dominated the shots attempted totals and seemingly had control of the play for longer.

Perhaps LA set up more in their defensive zone with organized breakouts, whereas NJ was on their heels more. That might explain the higher touch count for LA defensemen.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:12 AM
  #11
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
LA were unchallenged exiting their zone. NYR + PHI couldn't get the puck out. No sustained pressure.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:37 AM
  #12
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I thought we were outplayed badly for stretches as well. LA definitely dominated the shots attempted totals and seemingly had control of the play for longer.

Perhaps LA set up more in their defensive zone with organized breakouts, whereas NJ was on their heels more. That might explain the higher touch count for LA defensemen.
Yeah the Devils definitely used the boards a lot to get clear outs, whereas the Kings had more of a controlled breakout.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:40 AM
  #13
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 41,734
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
the Kings set up a 2-1-2 of sorts in their own zone essentially every time they had to exit the zone

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:42 AM
  #14
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,945
vCash: 500
Ya the Kings definitely had a more clean way of getting out of the zone. I think all 5 men were either on or behind their own blueline. One touch passing all the way out of the zone a few times.

Once we started to interrupt that better, we were able to control it a bit more.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:43 AM
  #15
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,282
vCash: 500
I'm glad the stats back up my opinion of harrold ( which is similar to that of tallinder). He makes mistakes, but they look worse than they are. They're more obvious than mistakes made by volch or sal because he tries a lot more direct passes and actually skating with the puck.

Ideally I would pair zid with our worst puck mover, probably volch, tallinder/harrold/larsson with second worst, sal, and then leave fayne and Greene together as normally they would be our mid-proficient puck movers.

There's litterally no reason to not keep each pairing with one puck mover and one stay at home guy even strength.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:46 AM
  #16
Mgd31
Registered User
 
Mgd31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
The Kings defensemen had an uncanny ability to neutralize our forecheck through simple 2/3 touch passes within and out of the defensive zone, leading to a breakout.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:14 PM
  #17
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,670
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Elias is better. His 11-12 season was something to behold. A 36-year old finishing in the top 15 in scoring and dominating possession while going up against the other team's top lines and having decent, but decidedly unspectacular line mates. 11-12 was Elias' best season after 00-01.
This, I don't think Elias gets nearly enough credit for what he did this season. The guy was dominant in all areas of the game.

Which is why his lack of production in the playoffs stings so much, he would have been a huge difference maker.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:20 PM
  #18
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
yea well, I wonder how severe his injury was

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:21 PM
  #19
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/6/14/2012...nal-zone-exits

Tracked the amount of defensive zone puck touches, carries, passes, clears, and turnovers for each player in the series. I think these numbers are more relevant for defensemen than forwards.

A couple of things are pretty apparent:
-LA had a better transitional game than NJ
-Drew Doughty is really good
-Rob Scuderi is helped tremendously by having Doughty as his partner
-Our defense got exposed for its inability to clear the puck
-Mark Fayne's wrist injury really hampered him. He turned the puck over in the defensive zone at the same rate that he successfully cleared it.
-Zidlicky is our best puck mover (no surprise)
-Peter Harrold is pretty good too, though
-Greene looks pretty good considering he was paired with Fayne, who was awful at clearing it
-Volchenkov and Salvador both turned it over a ton
To be honest, none of that is a surprise, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Excellent. Also can we have a FMASC statistical statisticians thread of statistics? I was bout to post asking for a comparison between Elias and Nash using advanced stats.
I support this.

No, not so I can put it on ignore.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:26 PM
  #20
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Elias is better. His 11-12 season was something to behold. A 36-year old finishing in the top 15 in scoring and dominating possession while going up against the other team's top lines and having decent, but decidedly unspectacular line mates. 11-12 was Elias' best season after 00-01.

But good call on that thread. Might have to start one soon.
There's no way 11-12 was as good as his 03-04 when he was 6th in NHL scoring and 4th in goals when playing for a Pat Burns coached (defensive) team, without all that much help from his teammates. But I digress. The stats in the OP are fascinating

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:27 PM
  #21
Bleedred
Foligno sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: shouldafiredfoligno
Country: United States
Posts: 39,195
vCash: 500
I remember as a team we struggled very much with clearing the puck for a better part of the season. Usually it seemed we were good for at least one goal against a game while getting pinned in the zone, and not being able to get out. Sometimes it was to the point where we had a harder time getting a clear at even strength than shorthanded which is no surprise considering the excellent PK numbers. I remember this happening a lot in quite a few of those games where we only gave up 1 goal, and if not for that could have easily been a shutout.

It decreased dramatically towards the end of the season, and into the playoffs. The only struggles we had with in the playoffs seemed to be on the PK against Florida, and early in the Rangers series. It became the other way around for both the Flyers, and Rangers in our series with them. They couldn't get us out of their zone.

As for Elias the 03/04, and 08/09 seasons were maybe slightly better post 00/01, but not by much. Only a couple more points. The only things were he had more points from goals those two seasons than he did this season.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:31 PM
  #22
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,335
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
There's no way 11-12 was as good as his 03-04 when he was 6th in NHL scoring and 4th in goals when playing for a Pat Burns coached (defensive) team, without all that much help from his teammates. But I digress. The stats in the OP are fascinating
No help from his teammates? Gomez led the NHL in assists that season.

Elias' role was much more impressive in 11-12. He had inferior linemates compared to 03-04 and was asked to do a whole lot more - be a center that shuts down opposition's top lines.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:40 PM
  #23
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,670
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
There's no way 11-12 was as good as his 03-04 when he was 6th in NHL scoring and 4th in goals when playing for a Pat Burns coached (defensive) team, without all that much help from his teammates. But I digress. The stats in the OP are fascinating
10th overall in scoring at age 36 is more impressive to me than 6th overall in scoring at age 28. Especially when you consider his linemates were a guy who has eclipsed 45 points only twice in 15 seasons, and a guy who hasn't been in the NHL for 2 years.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:41 PM
  #24
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,720
vCash: 500
Only stat I look at is the one where it says 4 loses for NJ.

Yeah, I'm ****ing bitter.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:43 PM
  #25
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
There's no way 11-12 was as good as his 03-04 when he was 6th in NHL scoring and 4th in goals when playing for a Pat Burns coached (defensive) team, without all that much help from his teammates. But I digress. The stats in the OP are fascinating
I am more impressed by a 36 yr old Elias playing with worse linemates and getting 10th in scoring! Just thought you had to hear it again

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.