HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

CBC/SRC win rights to 2014 and 2016 Olympic Games (some coverage on TSN)

Old
08-01-2012, 01:58 PM
BoHorvatFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
To each their own, but I feel the commentators both for live events and studio coverage are part of the experience.
Im sure their egos would love to read this.

But yeah to each their own. Makes no difference at all to me Im in it for the athletes. Obviously I'd prefer to not listen to a Gord Miller or Steve Simmons at all but it beats tape delay.

Like it would be nice if Rod Smith could get a winner right in a swim race before the games is up but I enjoy the fact I know who came 1,2,3 while the highly paid commentator is confused and saying the wrong names.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:58 PM
tony d
Follow your Nose

Great. At least now I'll be able to see more big Olympic events (Seems like all TSN and Sportsnet show are tennis, cycling and gymnastics)

08-01-2012, 05:47 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Great. At least now I'll be able to see more big Olympic events (Seems like all TSN and Sportsnet show are tennis, cycling and gymnastics)
Between tennis, cycling, gymnastics, swimming and soccer, you are looking at the marquee events for the first few days of the olympics.

Watch during the day when the events are live or watch online where you can watch almost any event you want. No commentators but if you want to watch a different sport than the big ones thats the best way.

I'm more excited for the return of STEVE ARMITAGE to olympic coverage, nothing says it's the Olympics more to me than Steve Armitage calling speed skating or swimming with his big booming voice.

CalgaryCanuck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
They wanted to partner with CTV (who owns TSN)

Expect to see CBC "allow" CTV to broadcast "select" events

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:12 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I hope they re-hire Brian Williams, too. The olympics just wouldn't be the same without him.
I'm hoping for the opposite. When CTV got the Games back, one of the things I was most looking forward to was the absence of Brian Williams, then they went out and ruined that dream. He's well past his prime and doesn't offer anything other journalists/anchors don't.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Damn it. I read the title too fast. I thought CBS got the new contract.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:43 PM
76ftw

vCash: 1907
Awesome. CBC is the best for sports still. Bob Cole is a legend y'all need to learn some respect. Still prefer listening to Bob Cole over anyone else out there. He makes mistakes but his voice is just so legendary.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:54 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
I grew up on CBC Olympics coverage. I love it. The voices behind CBC coverage are the voices of the Olympics too me. Sure it's probably nothing more than nostalgia, but the hell with it, I enjoy it.
Same here.

The problem is that the CBC needed TSN since 2000 in order to ensure that all Olympics events were covered on Canadian TV.

They don't have the ability to carry it to the level required of today's fan. TSN will have to be involved in one way or another.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:07 AM
nickp91

YESSSS! Channel 9 in Windsor for the Winter Olympics in '14! We love channel 9 (CBET) in Detroit. Thanks!

nickp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:59 AM
xi du

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

Those may as well have been from the 1980s.
As much flak as NBC gets, their intros, choice of music and production value are head and shoulders above any other national broadcasters. They deserve to broadcast the Olympics just for their opening and closing ceremony montages alone.

xi du is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Huh...this doesn't sound like good news for us Canadians as it looks like this is exclusive to CBC/SRC with no partnership with TSN/RDS like in the past.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...cs-rights.html
That's bad news for Canadian viewers. Less channels & less HD.

I'm really tired of the CBC using Tax Payer money to bid on things like this.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy View Post
This means no more Brian Williams. Unless he jumps ship again.
That sucks! He's been the chief broadcaster for every Canadian Olympics that I can remember.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
The announcement is that CBC won these rights on their own. The joint CBC/Bell bids were previously rejected by the IOC. As of right now, CTV & TSN are out for 2014 & 2016.

One wonders how the heck CBC came up with the dough to outbid Bell.
Yeah it's a real mystery.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
This is awful news, the coverage for these games has been amazing.

A+ for CTV/TSN/SN
Do you even remember how CBC/Radio-Canada fared when they broadcast the past Olympics? I remember they did a fine job with knowledgeable announcers. I for one am happy CBC/Radio-Canada is back at the Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Between tennis, cycling, gymnastics, swimming and soccer, you are looking at the marquee events for the first few days of the olympics.

Watch during the day when the events are live or watch online where you can watch almost any event you want. No commentators but if you want to watch a different sport than the big ones thats the best way.

I'm more excited for the return of STEVE ARMITAGE to olympic coverage, nothing says it's the Olympics more to me than Steve Armitage calling speed skating or swimming with his big booming voice.
I'm watching the Olympics during the day and it's still pretty much always the same sports. I remember in the past we used to see more disciplines like fencing, shooting, etc.

Last edited by Canuck21t: 08-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Ron Maclean.... he was amazing in Beijing. I like Brian Williams too, but the rest of CTV's hosts are brutal. Especially Duthie, Hedger and Randorf.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
JaysCyYoung

Brian Williams is an absolute abortion of a broadcaster. I've hated him since the butchered the Jays broadcasts on CBC in the early 2000s.

From his constant hand movements and paper shuffling, to his constant references to time zones, to his starting every interview off with "LOOK" to his patronizing politicking and off-topic, non-sports commentary he's irritating as hell.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Brian Williams is an absolute abortion of a broadcaster. I've hated him since the butchered the Jays broadcasts on CBC in the early 2000s.

From his constant hand movements and paper shuffling, to his constant references to time zones, to his starting every interview off with "LOOK" to his patronizing politicking and off-topic, non-sports commentary he's irritating as hell.
The best of a bad bunch?

I guess after suffering through Randorf in the morning with his complete lack of knowledge, forgetting the names of events/competitors and Duthie/Hedger's treating the hosting gig as if it's a day time talk show and making stupid off-hand remarks about various athletes/disciples just annoys the hell out of me. All three of that bunch should realize that they're hosting Olympic coverage and not CFL Football or SportsCenter.

Williams certainly isn't perfect and Maclean is head and shoulders above him, but I've actually found him to be pretty decent these games. Yes, some politicking and erroneous commentary but now that you mentioned the hand movements and paper shuffling, that will likely bug the hell out of me tonight as well.

I still think Ron Maclean's on air editorial about (was it his mom's ailing health?) near the end of the 08 games was one of the greatest things I've seen on TV. I miss his Olympic coverage a lot.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
The best of a bad bunch?
Heh. I wish.

Jay Onrait's probably the best of the group. Constantly funny and although he doesn't take the job as seriously as he probably should he's at least good for some guaranteed entertainment. He's also more knowledgeable than most people realize and has a good heart.

Quote:
I guess after suffering through Randorf in the morning with his complete lack of knowledge, forgetting the names of events/competitors and Duthie/Hedger's treating the hosting gig as if it's a day time talk show and making stupid off-hand remarks about various athletes/disciples just annoys the hell out of me. All three of that bunch should realize that they're hosting Olympic coverage and not CFL Football or SportsCenter.
Agreed entirely. Duthie in particular is guilty of this during TSN's normal NHL broadcasts.

Quote:
Williams certainly isn't perfect and Maclean is head and shoulders above him, but I've actually found him to be pretty decent these games. Yes, some politicking and erroneous commentary but now that you mentioned the hand movements and paper shuffling, that will likely bug the hell out of me tonight as well.
My "favourite" Brian moments were from the Sydney Olympics back in 2000 when he wouldn't shut up about crossing the Harbour Bridge and constantly misspoke about being in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Quote:
I still think Ron Maclean's on air editorial about (was it his mom's ailing health?) near the end of the 08 games was one of the greatest things I've seen on TV. I miss his Olympic coverage a lot.
Agreed again. He's one of the best Canadian broadcasters and up there in the great pantheon of sporting legends with Dick Irvin, Danny Gallivan, Tom Cheek, etc.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:18 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I have to admit that I've grown fond of Duthie.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote