HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3rd Line

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2012, 02:36 PM
  #26
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 36,228
vCash: 500
i would rather see the grab-kule line (2nd line) used as the shutdown line
theyre our best 2 way players

then add kids ,some on 2-way contracts keeping things hungry as the 3rd line
kadri colborne ashton frattin d'amigo)

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:53 PM
  #27
SexyJoffreyLupul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i would rather see the grab-kule line (2nd line) used as the shutdown line
theyre our best 2 way players

then add kids ,some on 2-way contracts keeping things hungry as the 3rd line
kadri colborne ashton frattin d'amigo)
i think McClement is an improvement on grabo in terms of defense. Grabo would work better with JVR and Kadri/Frattin driving the play and not having to be facing the top line of teams. Kulemin plays well with Connolly and all of them are very good at their own end, McClement isn't really that bad at putting up points, especially if he finds chemistry with a playmaker and a former 30 goal scorer.

Grabo is decent defensively, playing with Kadri/Frattin and JVR will net us more points while allowing the kids to play sheltered minutes against weaker competition with a very good 2nd line center. Mac and lombo are good players and can probably fetch something at the deadline, while Kadri still needs to prove that he has the strength to endure the grind of the NHL. Bozak may be the 13th forward if Kadri pans out this year or next.

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:57 PM
  #28
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost
 
InterceptSchenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
To me, it seems like Carlyle really liked Frattin's game. If he is healthy and ready to open the season (highly doubt it), I can see him next to Grabo on the "2nd" line. 3rd line, IMO would be Kuly - McClement - Connolly

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:00 PM
  #29
SexyJoffreyLupul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
To me, it seems like Carlyle really liked Frattin's game. If he is healthy and ready to open the season (highly doubt it), I can see him next to Grabo on the "2nd" line. 3rd line, IMO would be Kuly - McClement - Connolly
JVR - Grabo - Frattin sounds good.

Kadri might need another year to dominate the AHL, but it looks like he'll have to outcompete bozak for 1C. It all depends on what happens in training camp.

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
  #30
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Kadri -- Colborne -- Frattin

"Play the Kids" promote from within, as that is what building through drafting and development is all about.

Simultaneously rid the current team of is "sense of entitlement" overpaid, under-performing vets that plague the team, and reward the kids for their AHL efforts to lead the Marlies to the Calder cup finals. They've earned their opportunity !!!
Seems hypocritical no? There must be kids playing if the Leafs are the youngest if not one of the youngest in the NHL, yet if they dont make the playoffs seems like some consequenses are not acceptable? Can't have it both ways.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:06 PM
  #31
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I could've swore I had researched stats like ice time, contract terms, etc. in my post.

What more research shall I do?
Lol at contract length being a stat. CorisQoC, QoT, SA/60, OZONES%, GA/60 to start.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
  #32
Pyromaniac3
Registered User
 
Pyromaniac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: India
Posts: 3,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Lol at contract length being a stat. CorisQoC, QoT, SA/60, OZONES%, GA/60 to start.
Didn't Burke say he was brought in to be the 3rd line centre?

Anyways, this what I want to see. Kulemin-Mcclement-Connolly

My top six would be:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri

Mac is traded away.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:16 PM
  #33
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Seems hypocritical no? There must be kids playing if the Leafs are the youngest if not one of the youngest in the NHL, yet if they dont make the playoffs seems like some consequenses are not acceptable? Can't have it both ways.
When we say kids were not talking about age - but rather NHL experience.

Since you brought it up tho:
Lombo/Connolly/Komi/McClement are all 30+ years of age.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:32 PM
  #34
SexyJoffreyLupul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Didn't Burke say he was brought in to be the 3rd line centre?

Anyways, this what I want to see. Kulemin-Mcclement-Connolly

My top six would be:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri

Mac is traded away.

ideally i would package bozak and mac and have kadri play center and frattin on grabo's wing.

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:34 PM
  #35
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 500
Its tough to justify a third line with young guys, because your third line should get decent minutes and check the other team. Kadri on such a line is a joke.

A forth line of lombardi, steckel, and Brown is fairly useless. If you want kids to play, you should replace those guys, because they bring very little upside.

A guy like Kadri should be pushing a guy like Bozak our MacArthur out of a job. If he can't, he doesn't have the skills to be on this team.

Lol at the idea of someone like Kadri demanding anything.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:07 PM
  #36
Leafs For Life*
Nothing
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
If we are rolling a 3rd line as defensive checking,
Lupul-Kadri/JVR-Kessel
JVR/Kadri-Grabovski-Macarthur
Kulemin-Bozak-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Brown
Lombardi

If we are using the 3rd line for development,
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-MacArthur
Kulemin-Kadri-Frattin
Steckel/Komarov-McClement-Brown
Lombardi

Ideally, we have Steckel and Connolly traded to open spots for better, younger, players.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:14 PM
  #37
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
Its tough to justify a third line with young guys, because your third line should get decent minutes and check the other team. Kadri on such a line is a joke.

A forth line of lombardi, steckel, and Brown is fairly useless. If you want kids to play, you should replace those guys, because they bring very little upside.

A guy like Kadri should be pushing a guy like Bozak our MacArthur out of a job. If he can't, he doesn't have the skills to be on this team.

Lol at the idea of someone like Kadri demanding anything.
Lots of players that are projected Top6 make their breaks on 3rd lines in NHL. Its almost foolish to expect a player to jump from AHL - to playing 1C in NHL don't you think? Wouldn't it make more sense to ease them into lineup playing sheltered minutes and assignments?

Boston - A Stanley Cup winning team has Sequin playing 3rd line
Philly - One of the Top 5 teams in NHL the last half decade - has seen all of Giroux/Schenn/Couturier on 3rd line

Yet the 4th worst team in NHL over the past half decade decides that there's no spot for its prospects - what a joke


Last edited by DaveT83*: 08-01-2012 at 04:24 PM.
DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:29 PM
  #38
The Iceman
Registered User
 
The Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Burke has frequently boasted how he likes to have clearly defined lines.
Top 6 score and bottom 6 do the heavy lifting.
The current make-up of the Leafs has the default guys that don't make the top 6 plugged in somewhere in the bottom 6.

When I look at the team I see guys that will be bottom 6 that are not gritty enough to do heavy lifting
(Connolly, Lombardi, Frattin)

The Iceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:38 PM
  #39
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 61,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Lots of players that are projected Top6 make their breaks on 3rd lines in NHL. Its almost foolish to expect a player to jump from AHL - to playing 1C in NHL don't you think? Wouldn't it make more sense to ease them into lineup playing sheltered minutes and assignments?

Boston - A Stanley Cup winning team has Sequin playing 3rd line
Philly - One of the Top 5 teams in NHL the last half decade - has seen all of Giroux/Schenn/Couturier on 3rd line

Yet the 4th worst team in NHL over the past half decade decides that there's no spot for its prospects - what a joke
Therein lies the problem doesn't it.

Many posters want to praise the Leafs prospect pool strength, they just don't want them on the team..

That's because they feel the team can't win with them or they aren't good enough to replace the players we currently have that finished bottom 5.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:47 PM
  #40
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Therein lies the problem doesn't it.

Many posters want to praise the Leafs prospect pool strength, they just don't want them on the team..

That's because they feel the team can't win with them or they aren't good enough to replace the players we currently have that finished bottom 5.
It really is mind boggling.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:47 PM
  #41
Leafs For Life*
Nothing
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
Burke has frequently boasted how he likes to have clearly defined lines.
Top 6 score and bottom 6 do the heavy lifting.
The current make-up of the Leafs has the default guys that don't make the top 6 plugged in somewhere in the bottom 6.

When I look at the team I see guys that will be bottom 6 that are not gritty enough to do heavy lifting
(Connolly, Lombardi, Frattin)
You are wrong for Frattin.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
  #42
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Lots of players that are projected Top6 make their breaks on 3rd lines in NHL. Its almost foolish to expect a player to jump from AHL - to playing 1C in NHL don't you think? Wouldn't it make more sense to ease them into lineup playing sheltered minutes and assignments?

Boston - A Stanley Cup winning team has Sequin playing 3rd line
Philly - One of the Top 5 teams in NHL the last half decade - has seen all of Giroux/Schenn/Couturier on 3rd line

Yet the 4th worst team in NHL over the past half decade decides that there's no spot for its prospects - what a joke
Who is making that decision, HF posters or Burke and Carlyle?

Time to reassess what is reality and what is fantasy.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:57 PM
  #43
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,059
vCash: 500
Kulemin-McClement-Frattin

Play kadri in the top 6. Get rid of Lombardi and other useless nonsense

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:01 PM
  #44
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Therein lies the problem doesn't it.

Many posters want to praise the Leafs prospect pool strength, they just don't want them on the team..

That's because they feel the team can't win with them or they aren't good enough to replace the players we currently have that finished bottom 5.
Silly comment, of course we want them on the team, but when they are ready not when some fans (?) who are NOT paying customers want to be amused from afar.

Last seen you were ripping MLSE for not pursuing free agents, now you want to ice an AHL roster, what gives???

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:57 PM
  #45
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 500
Not loving the make-up of our 3rd line right now. Sort of miss Armstrong actually (yes he was never healthy I know. What a shame).

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
  #46
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 36,228
vCash: 500
you could make a 4th line for D when needed

steckel mcclement brown

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:25 PM
  #47
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Kadri -- Colborne -- Frattin

"Play the Kids" promote from within, as that is what building through drafting and development is all about.

Simultaneously rid the current team of is "sense of entitlement" overpaid, under-performing vets that plague the team, and reward the kids for their AHL efforts to lead the Marlies to the Calder cup finals. They've earned their opportunity !!!
This reads as follows, "avoid looking to get positive results at all costs, 'Promote Within'"

Signed,

Edmonton Oilers

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:27 PM
  #48
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,220
vCash: 500
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but, barring injury, McClement will be our 3rd line center. Steckel our 4th.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:31 PM
  #49
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Who is making that decision, HF posters or Burke and Carlyle?

Time to reassess what is reality and what is fantasy.
Burke is making the decision - mostly to do with the fact that he signed these guys - overpaid for them - gave them NMC's - NTC's ... I'm in touch with reality thanks.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:41 PM
  #50
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Burke is making the decision - mostly to do with the fact that he signed these guys - overpaid for them - gave them NMC's - NTC's ... I'm in touch with reality thanks.
Not that you seem willing or able to learn, these guys were signed to short term deals until Burke's guys got the experience for the job.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.