HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PK and the Habs: far from a deal

Old
08-11-2012, 07:38 PM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
We only really need to fight intelligently; that's why we have Prust and Moen.
Absolutly we are in a position where we won't dominate much team physicaly but if they want some rough stuff we have a couple of guys who are willing to do it. I don't want to see a fight la Pyatt/Campbell or Boychuck/Spacek.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Bouillon could probably beat up our entire team. Prust, Moen and White included.
Give me some of that **** you're smokin'.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
We only really need to fight intelligently; that's why we have Prust and Moen.
Moen is not the greatest fighter either, I don't think i've ever seen him win a fight ever since he came to Montreal.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:47 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Moen is not the greatest fighter either, I don't think i've ever seen him win a fight ever since he came to Montreal.
He had some decisions over tough guys, he never goes for the KO and he rarely looks realy bad in a fight. He's very useful for a guys who drops them that often and against such tough guys.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Moen takes on heavyweights and upper level mid-guys too, mainly because there really is nobody else who can handle them like he does. Moen has won his share of fights, like bloodying Clarkson in 2010 for instance. You won't see him win decisively based on the fact that he fights bigger guys most of the time.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:04 PM
capebretoncanadien

So Subban can't fight very well. Apparently that's what passes for news around here these days. Neither can about 80% of the league.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
So Subban can't fight very well. Apparently that's what passes for news around here these days. Neither can about 80% of the league.
I actually hope fighting doesn't become a part of his game. He's much more effective on the ice than in the penalty box for 5+ minutes.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I actually hope fighting doesn't become a part of his game. He's much more effective on the ice than in the penalty box for 5+ minutes.
This. Subban is too good to be taken out for 5 minutes at a time topped with the higher risk of injury.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Beendair Donedat

If Iginla can drop the gloves once in awhile, than so can Subban. There's a time and a place for everything. It's not like Subban is fighting much or against killers. Lupul, Marchand, Letestu, Wheeler and company aren't exactly Probert and Kocur.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Mr. Hab

If I'm the coach...
I'm telling Subban to never ever fight, unless...and that ''unless'' should be very very rare.

Subban plays 25minutes per game or more...we need him on the ice (not in the penalty box). Let a Staubitz (ex-Hab) fight, or let White or Prust fight, etc...you'd have to be the dumbest coach to NOT put a red light on Subban fighting (or very very rarely).

Terrible for our Habs:
Subban is injured because of a fight (eye, jaw, broken or sprained hand/finger, sprained wrist, concussion,etc). Same with Gorges...he has the heart of a lion but I don't want to see him fighting often ('cause we don't have another Subban and/or Gorges).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Analyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Give me some of that **** you're smokin'.
Have you ever seen Bouillon fight ?

Guy is tough as ****. Though, he might have lost it now.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Have you ever seen Bouillon fight ?

Guy is tough as ****. Though, he might have lost it now.
He is though and what I love about Bouillon is that he isn't going to back down against anyone. He doesn't take crap and despite his size he will make sure no one runs Price

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Subban plays the physical game somewhat but I'd rather leave the fighting duties to one of White, Bouillon, Moen or Prust.

That being said, if Philadelphia wanted to offer-sheet him, we'd be looking at a long-term deal, or else Holmgren wouldn't even offer-sheet him. Holmgren knows that Subban would be a #1 on his team if Pronger doesn't return, and that the Flyers' defensive prospect pool doesn't have D-men that can touch Beaulieu.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
If Iginla can drop the gloves once in awhile, than so can Subban. There's a time and a place for everything. It's not like Subban is fighting much or against killers. Lupul, Marchand, Letestu, Wheeler and company aren't exactly Probert and Kocur.
Well there are definitely moments when a player finds himself in a moment where fighting is the only option left, and emotions are running high. However when Subban is running around the ice, chasing Marchand, yapping at him, yapping at him from the bench, I am pulling him aside and telling him to shut up and play the game.

You do your job in front of the net and a guy continuously slashes you in back of the leg, by all means drop the gloves and teach him not to continue. Someone keeps running Price and you find yourself in the dog pile, teach the guy a lesson. For the most part though, I want Subban to avoid nonsense like the situation with Marchand and just keep playing his game.

Lapierre made an absolute killing when he was on the ice. Rarely did he fight, but he got players off their game with the way he played. Some criticized him for the methods he used but they were effective and helped the Habs win a lot of games.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:23 AM
nhlfan9191

Just trade this guy. He was a distraction last year and for some reason he's got it in his head that 1 good season earns him a fat lengthy contract. Just trade him Bergy.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
If I'm the coach...
I'm telling Subban to never ever fight, unless...and that ''unless'' should be very very rare.

Subban plays 25minutes per game or more...we need him on the ice (not in the penalty box). Let a Staubitz (ex-Hab) fight, or let White or Prust fight, etc...you'd have to be the dumbest coach to NOT put a red light on Subban fighting (or very very rarely).

Terrible for our Habs:
Subban is injured because of a fight (eye, jaw, broken or sprained hand/finger, sprained wrist, concussion,etc). Same with Gorges...he has the heart of a lion but I don't want to see him fighting often ('cause we don't have another Subban and/or Gorges).
It isn't as simple as you make it seem. Successfull teams play as cohesive units and every player supports the one beside him. Players don't appreciate it when a teammate is constantly instigating the opposition without fighting his fair share of his own battles. If you want to give Subban the red light then that also has to go for all of the smack talk and other shenanigans that he likes to engage in.

He will just lose respect from his teammates if he is told not to fight but is allowed to get his teammates into fights.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Just trade this guy. He was a distraction last year and for some reason he's got it in his head that 1 good season earns him a fat lengthy contract. Just trade him Bergy.
Relax, it is a negotiating process that is required to set market value. Stop taking it personal.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Well there are definitely moments when a player finds himself in a moment where fighting is the only option left, and emotions are running high. However when Subban is running around the ice, chasing Marchand, yapping at him, yapping at him from the bench, I am pulling him aside and telling him to shut up and play the game.

You do your job in front of the net and a guy continuously slashes you in back of the leg, by all means drop the gloves and teach him not to continue. Someone keeps running Price and you find yourself in the dog pile, teach the guy a lesson. For the most part though, I want Subban to avoid nonsense like the situation with Marchand and just keep playing his game.

Lapierre made an absolute killing when he was on the ice. Rarely did he fight, but he got players off their game with the way he played. Some criticized him for the methods he used but they were effective and helped the Habs win a lot of games.
I agree, physical defencemen need to drop the gloves every now and then. They just shouldn't actively pursue the extra curricular nonsense. This role is better left to a forward who the team won't miss nearly as much for 5 min + in the penalty box.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:50 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Iginla got beat up a couple of times hurting momentum and the team when he did not need to. He should fight less.

There are guys like Corson who compete more after getting beat up, and then there are the other 90+% of people/players who play worse after getting hit in the head.

Subban is strong, and he could probably learn to fight, but he shouldn't.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Relax, it is a negotiating process that is required to set market value. Stop taking it personal.
I'm not taking it personal. It bugs me that he thinks he should get longer than a 2 year deal, especially of its more than 3 million. He had a great rookie season but how does that warrant a large multi year deal? He was is far from proven, and last year proved how immature he still is. And this is coming from someone who actually likes Subban.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Subban and John Carlson are pretty comparable and both don't have contracts right now but there isn't much hyperventilation going on about Carlson in Washington.

The only reason anyone thinks there's any kind of real problem here or that there is any chance for another team to swoop in is the Montreal Media Microscope. Star RFA's tend to hold out a bit for their 2nd contracts, holding out until their team makes a better offer is the main leverage they have.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:49 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I'm not taking it personal. It bugs me that he thinks he should get longer than a 2 year deal, especially of its more than 3 million. He had a great rookie season but how does that warrant a large multi year deal? He was is far from proven, and last year proved how immature he still is. And this is coming from someone who actually likes Subban.
You're not involved in the process whatsoever, Subban's made no comments about this deal to the public and neither has Bergevin. Don't infer or speculate on unknown unknowns - it's most likely that Bergevin knows he has time and is trying to see what Doan wants, or what deals will happen before allocating a certain amount to Subban. And in either case RFAs aren't as involved in their negotiations as you'd think - Eller didn't even know what he signed for.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 07:21 PM
schumway2

The level of idiocy in this thread staggers me.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:22 PM
poetryinmotion

Damnit, Bergevin! Give us our Sooby-doo!

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Analyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
He'd had a shot against White, but there is no way he could beat Moen or Prust, a draw in a perfect timing maybe.

Simmonds is a notch under both in term of fighting and he destroyed Bouillon.
I'm sure Simmonds could beat Moen and he and Prust drew earlier in the season.

Simmonds is 6'2 to 5'8 Bouillon. Cube would be able to hold on and do better against 6'0 Prust. Plus he has a visor...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote