HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PK and the Habs: far from a deal

Old
09-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
There's only one player more valuable than him and it's Price. If we lose P.K. we finish 30th without a doubt. By taking away P.K. you take away 25 minutes of play...
I think you exaggerate but let's look at it anyway. The Habs finish 30th without a doubt? Well, that would put them in a prime position to draft MacKinnon. Add to MacKinnon the draft choices the Habs could get in a bidding war for Subban (likely two first rounders if he's as good as you say) plus the Habs' upcoming three second rounders in 2013 and a high first in 2014 (because the Habs couldn't stay out of the cellar without Subban, you say). If the Habs draft well and not lose Mackinnon in a lottery that might make the otherwise preposterous notion of a "surgical tank" attractive.

Now back to reality. Subban will sign with the Habs and they won't finish 30th.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Seth Jones will probably be better than Subban and if we trade Subban that would be who I would hope we'd be taking 1st overall. Need + BPA = Jones.

If MB didn't want Subban why wouldn't he just trade him and let whoever trades for him sign him to the type of contract they want with him. A lot of this conversation makes no sense to me.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:46 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I think you exaggerate but let's look at it anyway. The Habs finish 30th without a doubt? Well, that would put them in a prime position to draft MacKinnon. Add to MacKinnon the draft choices the Habs could get in a bidding war for Subban (likely two first rounders if he's as good as you say) plus the Habs' upcoming three second rounders in 2013 and a high first in 2014 (because the Habs couldn't stay out of the cellar without Subban, you say). If the Habs draft well and not lose Mackinnon in a lottery that might make the otherwise preposterous notion of a "surgical tank" attractive.

Now back to reality. Subban will sign with the Habs and they won't finish 30th.
Period.

Close this thread I started 2 months ago, please.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:16 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
They'll have all year to sign him and he won't miss a game.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Beendair Donedat

Hope we draft MacKinnon or Jones next year. Will we keep the same draft positions or will they redraw for first overall when the lockout takes place?

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
Montreal – P.K. Subban
Where: Super VideoTron 1330 av. Du Mont-Royal E, Montreal, PQ, H2J 1Y5 (514) 303-4414
• Alternate NHL 13 “Athlete TBA” Cover Sleeve
• Swag giveaways

Come celebrate the launch of NHL 13 with us at an EB Games Canada Exclusive NHL 13 Launch Party. EB Games Canada is hosting parties in 6 cities across Canada with 7 NHL® athletes, including a street hockey tournament in Toronto where you can register your team for the chance to be coached by an NHL® athlete!

Pre-orders of NHL®13 picked up at midnight September 11, 2012 at each participating location will include an alternate NHL®13 cover sleeve featuring that city’s selected NHL player*. Lineups will begin at each location at 7:00pm (local time) to secure a chance to have your copy signed.

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:53 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Hope we draft MacKinnon or Jones next year. Will we keep the same draft positions or will they redraw for first overall when the lockout takes place?
correction: Hope we draft MacKinnon and Jones next year.

Aim high young man!

Either would be awesome.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:39 PM
eddy

Subban shares his sympathy for fans should there be a lockout, talks a bit about the contract situation.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404583

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbk View Post
Montreal – P.K. Subban
Where: Super VideoTron 1330 av. Du Mont-Royal E, Montreal, PQ, H2J 1Y5 (514) 303-4414
• Alternate NHL 13 “Athlete TBA” Cover Sleeve
• Swag giveaways
That's a shame. Going to Raw that night, so won't be able to attend. I went last year and met Gorges. Cool guy.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Habsfan18

I'm beginning to get a bit worried now.

I want him signed, and I want it to be long term. Nothing stupid, but I'd definitely offer a 5 year deal - at 4 million per.

Whether they agree to it or not is another thing, but that's what I'd at least start off with in negotiating a long term deal.

In a lot of these cases, you're basically paying for potential. Just look at some of these long term contracts for young players that have been handed out lately.

Also, does anyone remember the Hedman extension from last year? I love the guy as a player, but that deal was certainly based around his potential. Not to say he's been a disappointment, but he was talked about as a two-way phenom for years before his draft year. And I know people will say that numbers aren't everything, and I would agree, but still..seasons of 20, 26, and 23 points are not exactly something to write home about.

Anyways, we need PK. Get it done please...and soon.

09-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
You can argue that the contracts to both Price and Pacioretty are based on potential. Pacioretty is one season removed from 30+ goals and Price has just one season of 30+ wins. Both still have a lot to prove but based on potential alone, the got their money right away.

I put Subban in the same boat as well. Hopefully they can manage some sort of contract that makes both sides happy. And soon.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:14 PM
lamp9post

I always thought a good 2nd contract for Subban would be like Giroux's before he broke out: 3 years @ 3.75 per.

Add a bit for inflation and a contract I think looks good for both sides is: 3 years @ 4.2-4.5 per.

However I think things have changed with recent 2nd contracts to guys like Skinner, Eberle, and Pacioretty all getting 6 years at big money. With these signings, I think Subban's agent has a good case for asking for something similar: 6 years @ 4.5+

Regardless of how it shakes out, I hope it gets done soon.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404607

Given the above, I don't think it is time to panic just yet. It seems like lots of significant players coming off ELC's are having difficulty finding common grounds with their teams on a new contract.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
They'll have all year to sign him and he won't miss a game.
Didn't really read through this thread, but my attitude is pretty similar.

I hope people are not freaking out over this. Subban will be suting up for the habs whenever the season starts, that's my personal garauntee. I'd also be very shocked if PK does not have a long career with Montreal.

I wouldn't worry too much about this whole process. The resources are there, and that's the biggest thing.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:50 PM
feds91

don't worry, be happy!

just reminding peeps that kane, kulikov, del zotto, o'reilly, ennis, martin (lead NHL in hits), carlson, benn, scrivens ( possible leafs starter ) haven't signed yet.

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Teamwork

Everyone is far from a deal at this point

Teamwork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Hugo Sham

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ty-An...uins/141/46436

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...alcolm_jordan/

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:23 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Very nice read thanks.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Roulin

I bet there will be a flurry of long term contracts signed by RFA dmen between now and the 15th. GM's and agents are waiting for someone else to set the market, but someone will make the first compromise soon.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
You can argue that the contracts to both Price and Pacioretty are based on potential. Pacioretty is one season removed from 30+ goals and Price has just one season of 30+ wins. Both still have a lot to prove but based on potential alone, the got their money right away.

I put Subban in the same boat as well. Hopefully they can manage some sort of contract that makes both sides happy. And soon.
Bingo bango!

Price-Subban-pacioretty and hopefully a #1C in Gally, would give the habs the strong potential for about as quality an elite group of young talent at each position to build around as any team in the league.

Not locking up the top-pairing "could soon be Norris contending" dman for the long term would be an epic mistake (especially with his bro playing for a hated rival... Can you imagine PK getting pissed about beingdicked around, deciding to bolt as soon as he hits UFA status, and then winding up giving the b's the star dman to replace chara both to stick it to the team that didn't believe in him enough for a real commitment and to play with his bro nightmare....

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:33 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Bingo bango!

Price-Subban-pacioretty and hopefully a #1C in Gally, would give the habs the strong potential for about as quality an elite group of young talent at each position to build around as any team in the league.

Not locking up the top-pairing "could soon be Norris contending" dman for the long term would be an epic mistake (especially with his bro playing for a hated rival... Can you imagine PK getting pissed about beingdicked around, deciding to bolt as soon as he hits UFA status, and then winding up giving the b's the star dman to replace chara both to stick it to the team that didn't believe in him enough for a real commitment and to play with his bro nightmare....
I don't think PK will be vengeful in any way, and his reason to sign with the B's will have more to do with playing with his bro than to spite us, but some part of me can totally see that happen as a worst case scenario.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:48 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
good read, specifically this part about the habs

Quote:
"I see greatness in that organization every day when I go to the rink. I see opportunity. I see an opportunity to win, to bring a championship back to that team. That city is so hungry for another Stanley Cup. And when I look around the dressing room, I see a number of guys that can do it, that want to do it. And I think that my influence on that team can bring a Stanley Cup back to that city," P.K. says, his fervor for the topic rounding the back of the net and picking up steam. "Some guys get it early in their careers, some guys get it late in their careers, but I'm going to get it at some point. And I want to do it in that city because that's my favourite team. I grew up watching them. It's a personal thing. When I step on the ice, it's a feeling.

"There have been times when I've been playing games and there's tears almost coming out of my eyes because I want to win so bad there. It's such an emotional city to play in, and I'm an emotional player, so I thrive off that. That's why it's so easy for me to go play 150 per cent every night. That's why I get the response I do from that fan base -- they feel that passion."

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

But the Bruins would have to offer-sheet us big to make Subban sign in Boston...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:54 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
But the Bruins would have to offer-sheet us big to make Subban sign in Boston...
this is taken from bruins board (bruinsfan_37 specifically), though wouldn't mind a confirmation of the numbers below

Quote:
$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks
I think the only bracket we would NOT match is the last one. So yea, they would have to go big. Boston's first round picks for upcoming season, will most likley be in the bottom of 1st round. So two picks at 20-30th overalll is pretty garbage for suban, value wise. I think Montreal would match even a 8,410,967$ offer sheet (maybe NOT if it was a team like CLB that would make that offer, but not BOS or any other team who is a PO team)

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
this is taken from bruins board (bruinsfan_37 specifically), though wouldn't mind a confirmation of the numbers below

I think the only bracket we would NOT match is the last one. So yea, they would have to go big. Boston's first round picks for upcoming season, will most likley be in the bottom of 1st round. So two picks at 20-30th overalll is pretty garbage for suban, value wise. I think Montreal would match even a 8,410,967$ offer sheet (maybe NOT if it was a team like CLB that would make that offer, but not BOS or any other team who is a PO team)
It's a moot point really...no one is sending PK an offer sheet, especially not with CBA talks still on-going

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
And Boston has very little cap room.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote